ONE9--art inspired by avant jazz, deep classical and bebop soul

  • mackmike15
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2008
      The New Style…Art in the Age of ONE9

      Four stories above a desolate DUMBO block not far from the Brooklyn
      Bridge, artist One9 has founded a small sanctuary to create his bold
      paintings."This might be the only building in the neighborhood that
      hasn't been gentrified yet," he jokes, as a booming Marley Marl joint
      screams from the Ipod system.

      As one of the two artists displaying work in the upcoming exhibit
      Dreams in Color (opening Wednesday, June 11 @ 155 Spring
      Street/between Wooster and W. Broadway/4th floor), the Washington DC
      native One9 is one of the most exciting young artists to emerge in
      post-millennial New York City.

      Coming out of the master-mix of classic and graffiti traditions, the
      gifted painter continues to push himself one-step beyond when it comes
      to style. "I'm as influenced by Leonardo da Vinci as I am by Futura
      2000," says the 37-year-old of his innovative style. "Yet, being a
      bomber when I was still a boy taught me how to breakdown artistic
      barriers. There are no boundaries nor are there any limitations."

      http://blogs.uptownlife.net/michaelagonzales