STEAMBOAT SWITZERLAND's californian-canadian JUNE cruise

  • Marino Pliakas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2008
      Hello all,

      our STEAMBOAT SWITZERLAND is cruising your region. Spread the word and
      drop over!

      June 19 USA-Los Angeles/Hollywood, ResBox @ Steve Allen Theater - 4773
      Hollywood Blvd. Hollywood, CA 90027 info: (323)666-4268, tix:
      (800)595-4849 ,
      http://www.steveallentheater.com/resbox
      http://collect.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=music.showDetails&Band_Show_ID=27278526&friendid=339126121
      June 20 USA-Oakland, Grand 21 - Oakland, CA 94612, 416 25th St. at
      Broadway) (510) 444-7263 http://www.21grand.org
      June 23 CAN-Victoria BC, Jazzfest/Open Space - 510 Fort Street,
      http://jazzvictoria.ca/ , http://www.openspace.ca/web/item/469
      June 25 CAN-Vancouver BC, International Jazz Festival:
      * 1 pm work shop at Tom Lee Music Hall
      <http://www.coastaljazz.ca/index.cfm?page_id=98&view=DETAILS&event_id=951>,
      929 Granville St.
      * Concert: 5.30 pm The Western Front
      <http://www.coastaljazz.ca/index.cfm?page_id=98&view=DETAILS&event_id=920>,
      308 East 8th Ave.,
      June 27 CAN-Calgary AB, Jazz Festival/Odyssey Room
      <http://calgaryjazz.com/2007/Festival/cjazzfestival.htm>, SAIT Polytechnic
      June 28 CAN-Montréal QB, Festival International de Jazz/Studio
      Hydro-Québec
      <http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/Fijm2008/programmation/fiche_en.aspx?showId=411>
      - Monument-National

      Herewith I would like to send you some update informations about our
      Zurich based avant trio STEAMBOAT SWITZERLAND.

      Just back from tremendous tours in China, the Balkans and
      Germany/Netherlands, Russia/Georgia, England, South Africa, Germany,
      Poland we are about to fix our agenda 07.
      Actual references: great shows at Termite Festival Leeds Nov 05,
      Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival Nov 05, tour GER/AUT/CZ/NL/BEL
      in March 06, Tour Germany/Poland Sept/Nov 06, South Africa Grahamstown
      Indaba New Music Festival 06, Enjoy Jazz Festival Mannheim 06, JazzNOW @
      Donaueschingen Festival 06, Interface Festival Berlin 06, MaerzMusik
      Berlin 07, Holland Festival 2007 etc.

      Our new CD is out!
      STEAMBOAT SWITZERLAND, "Wertmueller" (GROB 655, 2005) on Grob/Cologne:
      http://www.churchofgrob.com
      12 pieces composed for Steamboat Switzerland by Michael Wertmueller (CH,
      William Parker Trio, Alboth!, 16-17, W2, etc;
      http://www.wittwer.mu/w2/werther.html)
      premiered at Taktlos Festival/CH-Bern
      infos http://www.churchofgrob.com/Churchofgrob/CATALOG/Grob655/index.html

      Our even newer CD "ZONE 2" (GROB 859 , 2007) has just been published in
      December 2007 on GROB (Grob/Cologne: http://www.churchofgrob.com ):
      STEAMBOAT SWITZERLAND all improv in acoustic line up!
      Dominik Blum Bösendorfer Imperial, Electronics
      Marino Plikas Akustic Guitar, Electronics
      Lucas Niggli Drums, Percussion
      live at Qbus Uster/Switzerland

      Breaking news:
      1) STEAMBOAT SWITZERLAND premiered with tremendous success a new
      composition by swiss composer Michael Wertmueller at MaerzMusik Festival
      07 Berlin: "time.development".
      2) Steamboat Switzerland plays GOOMR:
      STEAMBOAT SWITZERLAND just premiered a new composition by swiss composer
      Felix Profos: "get out of my room"
      at Musiktage festival in Donaueschingen (GER).
      "Ce fut la saine et vitale explosion de violence du groupe helvétique
      Steamboat Switzerland, dans le pur sillage encore radicalisé de Hard
      Rock dans sa variante Heavy Metal, brodant autour de quatre "modules" de
      Felix Profos: fracas et hurlements dont l'agressivité divisa le public
      en fuyards et enthousiastes. J'ai bien aimé." Harry Halbreich in
      "crescendo" (Belgien)
      3) STEAMBOAT SWITZERLAND premiered a new composition by american/dutch
      composer David Dramm at Holland Festival 07 Amsterdam: "the last jukebox
      on eartht" - plus Dramm's 'Orange Slice' which the press hailed as
      "monumental...the sound of ecstasy.".
      4) Steamboat Switzerland recently played on Patti Smith's Meltdown
      Festival (Royal Festival Hall London) in John Cale's band together with
      Flea (Red Hot Chilly Peppers), Nick Franglen (Lemon Jelly, Björk, Pulp
      etc.), Josh Pollock (GONG, Six Eyed Columbia) and David Dramm a double
      bill with Patti Smith's live world premiere of her legendary "Horses"
      program.

      We performed very successfully on various festivals (Moers-Festival/D
      2001, 2002, 2003, Jazz à Mulhouse/F 2003, Vancouver/CAN International
      Jazzfestival, Bern/CH Taktlos 02, Gyor/HU Mediwave etc., more see
      below!) and New Music (MaerzMusik(Berlin, HCMF/Huddersfield,
      Ultima/Oslo, Gaudeamus/Amsterdam, Donaueschinger Musiktage, Days of New
      Music/Zurich, Novembermusic/NL, B etc.) as well as in venues as various
      contexts as Jazz, Rock, Avantguard, Museums of Contemporary Art, Improv,
      Electronica and New Music etc.

      Thanks and all the best wishes,
      Marino Pliakas

      ________________

      P.S.

      short info:

      STEAMBOAT SWITZERLAND

      are:

      Hammond organ, piano, analogue electronics: Dominik Blum
      E-Bass, electronics: Marino Pliakas
      Drums, percussion: Lucas Niggli

      Please, visit our Info-Homepage:
      http://www.marinopliakas.com/steamboatswitzerland.html
      <http://www.marinopliakas.com/steamboatswitzerland>

      Short Info:

      Just back from tremendous tours in China, the Balkans and
      Germany/Netherlands, Russia/Georgia, England, South Africa we are about
      to fix our agenda 07.
      Actual references: great shows at Termite Festival Leeds Nov 05,
      Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival Nov 05, tour GER/AUT/CZ/NL/BEL
      in March 06, Grahamstown Indaba New Music Festival 06, Enjoy Jazz
[...]

      Our hammond avantcore trio toures Europe (England, France, Netherlands,
      Belgium, Germany, Austria, Norway, Spain, Hungary, Czech Republic,
      Slovakia, Poland, Russia, Slowenia, Croatia, Georgia, Switzerland),
      China, South Africa, Mozambique and Northern America (USA/CAN) since
      1998 very successfully - more than 250 concerts in venues and on
      festivals in as various contexts as Jazz, Rock, Avantguard, Museums of
      Contemporary Art, Improv, Electronica and New Music etc., got various
      awards/prices/commissions and has been recensioned very well in
      international media.

      Within the scope of our well-tried concept of multiidiomatic modules -
      decending from hard core rock until contemporary composition -
      interacting with improvised textures we serve ontage a spontaneous
      choice consisting of instant composition and various fixed materials
      such as pieces by Sam Hayden (UK). Stephan Wittwer (CH), Jan-Bas Bollen
      (NL), Michael Wertmueller (CH/D), Hermann Meier (CH), Ruth Crawford
      (USA), David Dramm, (NL/USA), Felix Profos (CH) - most of this was
      dedicated to STEAMBOAT SWITZERLAND.

      Hayden's commission appeared in 2001 as 'ac/dB[hayden]' on the Cologne
      based label GROB (http://
      <http://www.marinopliakas.com/steamboatswitzerland>www.churchofgrob.com)
      - at the same time as an integral live recording of 'Budapest', an
      improvised show in the Hungarian capital (also on GROB). Our first CD
      "Live" (UNIT 4104, 1999) combines elements of Rock/Metal/HC (Riffs,
      Power), the dramatic forms of free improvisation and the sounds and
      structure of contemporary music.
      At the moment we are working and on new material - and continously
      integrating it in our live set - of the composeres Michael Wertmueller
      (D/CH, Alboth!, Premiere at Taktlos-Festival in Bern, Sept. 02 -
      featuring Oxbow's Eugene Robinson) and Jan-Bas Bollen (NL).
      A new CD with material written and dedicated to us by Michael
      Wertmueller was published in March 05 on GROB.
      New CD "ZONE 2": release in march 07 on GROB.

      In addition to our usual set up we are also about to establish our
      reduced, quasi acoustic improv setting: prepared and amplified grand
      piano with feed back devices, microphoned/amplified concert guitar,
      small drum set. That's a set up we played already as an alternative to
      our heavy one on severals occasions and festivals (e.g. at Moers
      Festival, Rotterdam, den Haag, CH etc.).

      Our exclusive STEAMBOAT SWITZERLAND Extended Ensemble (Dominik Blum
      (CH): Hammond Organ/Analogue Synthesizer/Piano; Gerard Bouwhuis (NL):
      Sampling Keyboard/Piano; Marino Pliakas (CH): Bass Guitar; Pete Wilson
      (UK): Bass Guitar; Lucas Niggli (CH): Drums/Percussion; Remo Signer
      (CH): Drums/Percussion; Marco Blaauw (NL): Trumpet; Reijer Dorresteijn
      (NL): Trumpet; Bob Koertshuis (NL): Trumpet; David Dramm (USA): Live
      Electronics) plays on various festivals all over Europe David Dramm's
      (USA/NL) tremendous 60' piece "Orange Slice".

      Choice of Festivals:
      Vancouver (CAN): International Jazzfestival 2000 qnd 2008 , Victoria
      (CAN): Internat. Music Festival, Calgary (CAN): Caljazz Festival,
      Montreal(CAN): Internat. Jazz Festival, London (UK): Patti Smith's
      Meltdown Festival, Leeds (UK): Termite Festival, Huddersfield (UK):
      Contemporary Music Festival, Grahamstown (RSA): New Music Indaba,
      St.Petersburg (RUS): SKIF6 Festival, Moskow (RUS): Long Arms Festival,
      Oslo (N): Ultima Festival, Moers (GER): MOERS Festivals 2001, 2002,
      2003, Bochum (GER): Open Systems Festival, Scheer (GER): Klangbad
      Festival, Berlin (GER): MaerzMusik Festival Festival, Berlin (GER):
      Interface Festival, Donaueschingen (GER): Donaueschinger Musiktage 06,
      Augsburg (GER): Mozart-Festival, Ulrichsberg (A): Kaleidophon, Gent
      (B)/Essen (GER)/s'Hertogenbosch (NL): Novembermusic 2000 and 2003,
      Eindhoven (NL): DisTronic Festival, Utrecht (NL): Rumor-Festival,
      Amsterdam (NL): Gaudeamus Festival, Amsterdam (NL): Holland Festival,
      Brussels (B): DOMINO Festival, Barcelona (E): LEM-Festival, L'Espai,
      Paris (F): Festival au Centre Culturel Suisse, Mulhouse (F): Festival de
      Jazz, Tbilissi (GEO): Close Encounters festival, Brno (CZ): Contemporary
      Music Festival, Krakow (POL): AUDIOART, International Festival of
      Contemporary Music, Krakow (POL): Autumn Jazz Festival 06, Wroclaw
      (POL): Rura Jazz Festival 06, Györ (HUN): Mediawave 04, Bern (CH):
      Taktlos02 Festival, Zurich (CH): Tage für Neue Musik, Winterthur (CH):
      Internationale Musikfestwochen, Biel (CH): Ear We Are, Schaffhausen
      (CH): Jazz-Festival, Chur (CH): Werner Luedi Memorial Festival,
      St.Moritz (CH): Fest der Künste etc.

      Some press comments:
      " Is there a place in the world for such music? I doubt it. Too in awe
      of the transcendent properties of amplification for the jazz and Improv
      circuits, too wired and volatile for the alt.rock communities, annexed
      by the classical academy from the parallel soundworlds dreamed by Iannis
      Xenakis and Edgar Varèse, it exists in a vibrant but diminishing place,
      sealed off from all enquiry, ripe for discovery." (The WIRE)
      «Their first CD (Live) showcases nothing less than an explosion of
      hard-core Hammond and free improv. On this record you will find elements
      of rock, metal, punk, hard-core, serial music, contemporary music, jazz,
      new music and free. Whoa! (...)the band also likes to rearrange works of
      obscure contemporary composers like Ruth Crawford (1930s) or serialist
      Hermann Meier (1950s). (...) Frenetic rhythms alternate with
      minimalistic moods. (...)always managing to surprise the listener for 75
      minutes. Did I tell you this record is fantastic?" (DELIRE ACTUEL)
      "With an energy akin to perversity, Steamboat Switzerland thrashes empty
      virtuosity in jazz and fusion." (Fake)
      "Steamboat Switzerland's pressure would kill a certain audience on the
      spot" (URAL online)
      "The thrill is back!" (Bad Alchemy)
      Lots of reviews: http://www.marinopliakas.com/recensions.html
      <http://www.marinopliakas.com/steamboatswitzerland>

      You will find some additional informations in the attached (on demand!,
      395 kb) liner notes of the new two CDs as well as in in the promotional
      text of GROB.

      If you need anything more: ask for photos, bios, recensions, CDs,
      Posters etc. - we'll send it right away:
      STEAMBOAT SWITZERLAND c/o Marino Pliakas, Goldbrunnenstrasse 46, CH-8055
      Zurich,
      phone/fax +41-1-4517444, Email: mpliakas@...

      Visit also the HP of our label:
      http://www.churchofgrob.com/Churchofgrob/CATALOG/Grob3156/grob3156.html

      Discographie:
      STEAMBOAT SWITZERLAND 'Live' (Unit 4104, 1998)
      STEAMBOAT SWITZERLAND 'Budapest' (GROB 315, 2001)
      STEAMBOAT SWITZERLAND 'ac/dB[hayden]' (GROB 316, 2001) - also on
      Vinyl-LP, limited edition
      STEAMBOAT SWITZERLAND 'unknown song/zone' (feat. Simone Vollenweider,
      voc.), 7"-Vinyl-Single
      STEAMBOAT SWITZERLAND 'The Box' (MULTIGROB 001, 2001 - limited edition!!):
      'Budapest', 'ac/dB[hayden]' plus 'unknown song/zone'-Single plus Photos
      etc. in exclusive box
      STEAMBOAT SWITZERLAND/Pierre Huyghe(F)/Tyler Whisnand(USA), SSCL214
      (DVD, 'loud&clear', Bifrons/Amsterdam 2002)
      STEAMBOAT SWITZERLAND 'Wertmueller' (GROB 655, 2005)
      STEAMBOAT SWITZERLAND 'ZONE 2' (GROB 859 , 2007)

      (Extra info: Our band name stands for our revulsion against (swiss)
      Dixieland and for our affinity for Art Brut, especially our patron saint
      Adolf Woelfli)

      ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

      STEAMBOAT SWITZERLAND's patron saint:

      Adolf Woelfli (1864-1930)

      «Wihr hatten Uns auf dem Haritt im Kreise gelaagert und standen nun auf,
      um mit geschwenkten Taschentüchern und 3fachem Hurrah, die
      Vorüberfahrenden zu begrüssen. Es wahr der Dampfer Swizerland [Steamboat
      Switzerland], mit über 1,000 Passagieren an Bord. Uns're Bemühungen
      wurden vergolten mit nicht enden wollenden Hurra und Hochrufen, sowie
      Fahnenschwingen seitens der Passagiere, der Sänger=Chor Concordia von
      Zürich, präsentierte uns das schöne Lied. (Es lebt auf allen
      Schweizer=Gauen, ein Blümchen Zahrt und Wunderhold.)»
      (out of the epic poem "Von der Wiege bis ins Graab")