musical moment

  • Gary Atkins
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2008
      Not the type of things I'd normally post to this list, but could think of no other to...

      Monday morning walk to work, cold and gray sky, ever-so-slightly hung over, facing a long and busy day at work, MP3 player on shuffle: first track is Achim Wollscheid from the Atlantic Waves 2007 comp, "Seven Sentences", in which he talks about imagining what pieces of music do, in terms of what they make listeners do, besides making them listen...not sure I'm gripping all of that yet, when suddenly the next track begins: "Oust" by Shank, from the Difficult Easy Listening compilation on Nonplace (Burnt Friedman's label). Deep inside my head, I'm hearing a part of the mix I've never noticed before, like a beeping sound--foreign to the music, but it's working...I cross the street into a parking lot and notice a car's headlights are blinking--also to the beat. Weird. Then I realize that the beeping sound was the car's horn--the alarm had been set off. An accidental mix, a once in a lifetime musical moment. It made me smile. A good laugh to and at oneself is great way to start a Monday.

      Thanks for indulging, and no, I'm not high.

      Hope your Monday is off to a smooth start-

      GA