New on "Likembe": "Igbo Blues," Ethiopian Roots

  • beadlejp
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2008
      Two recent posts on "Likembe" feature rare and unusual tunes from
      Nigeria and Ethiopia, respectively.

      In "The Elusive 'Igbo Blues'" I ask if such a thing really exists, and
      discuss the music of Chief Akunwata Ozoemena Nsugbe, the Ifediora Mma
      Egedege Cultural Dance Group of Uga, Ibealaoke Chukwukeziri & his
      Anaedonu and the Okwuamara Women's Dance Group of Umuoforolo, Nkwerre:

      http://likembe.blogspot.com/2008/01/elusive-igbo-blues.html

      "More Ethiopian Honey" features the music of Ethiopia's Rahel Yohannes
      and Shambel Belayneh, whose exceptional update of traditional music,
      "Bati" was one of the most popular Ethiopian releases of the 1980s:

      http://likembe.blogspot.com/2008/01/more-ethiopian-honey.html

      Please feel to drop in!

      John B.