Wreckommended Music by Strange Orgs

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2007

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: 389 [986*]: Wreckommended
      PTP in the ether: 88.3FM
      Where purity & puerility are synonymous
      streaming via internet:
      <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>

      24 September 2007 // 17.00-19.00

      "Well, as through the world I've rambled, I've seen lots of funny men
      Some rob you with a sixgun, some with a fountain pen"
      * Woody Guthrie, "Pretty Boy Floyd"

      Reminiscence > Yota Kobayashi [1]
      The Mind is the Voice > Stefan Kozminchuk [1]
      21 > Timeless Pulse Quintet [2]
      Lovely Head > Goldfrapp [3]
      Et Pluie Souffle > Myriam Hamer-Lavoie [1]
      Deer Stop > Goldfrapp [3]
      Mermaid > Erika Stucky [4]
      Dark Goddess 3 > Kyron [5]
      Re Take Ined, by Captain > The Day Care Centre [6]
      Galli Dani > Dub Spencer & Trance Hill [7]
      Welcome > International Observer [8]
      Schafmann > Dub Spencer & Trance Hill [7]
      Hip Hop's Final > International Observer [8]
      Soleil d'Egypte > Natascha Atlas [9]
      Aisha > Aisha Kandisha's Jarring Effects [10]
      Rah > Natascha Atlas [9]
      Majiti Mataliti > Aisha Kandisha's Jarring Effects [10]
      Ben Seni > Up Bustle & Out vs Sevdgumi [11]
      El Farrah > Aisha Kandisha's Jarring Effects [10]
      Hidjaz Ask > Up Bustle & Out vs Engin Arslin [11]
      Roof Fish Suck 2 > Aisha Kandisha's Jarring Effects [10]
      At the Coronation > International Observer [8]

      [1] "Cache 2006" on CEC <cec.concordia.ca>. Compilation of extreme
      adventures in sound. Recommended by the Canadian Pharmacologists
      Association.
      [2] "Timeless Pulse Quintet" on mutablemusic <www.mutablemusic.com>.
      With Pauline Oliveros. Recommended by the Animal Massage Society of
      Upstate NY.
      [3] "Felt Mountain" on Mute <www.goldfrapp.co.uk>. Amazingly
      effective vocals that wobble between Bjork and modern and folk singer
      fey. The vocals are like those of the sirens on the rocks and are as
      annoying as they are enchanting. Haunting in their fetching quality.
      Recommended by the Society of Wailing Women of the Tri-Mountain
      Region.
      [4] "Heimatklänge: Echoes of Home" on Traumton <www.traumton.de>. Is
      the beautiful soundtrack to a stunning [yodel] documentary that I
      will hopefully soon be reviewing for the Amsterdam Weekly. Includes
      ES in fine form yodeling with her mouthful with her daughter at the
      breakfast table and Christian Zehnder [Stimmhorn] doing some boogie
      and throat-sing-yodeling with Huun Huur Tu in a yurt. Recommended by
      the International Association for the Protection of the Art of
      Yodeling [IAPAY].
      [5] "Dark Goddess" on Blacknotemusic <www.blacknotemusic.com>.
      Wondering what the devil has been up to as far as recordings from the
      beyond? Listen here. Recommended by the Worldwide Network of Satanic
      Reappreciation.
      [6] "The Day Care Centre" on Czecher 2007. Made in the Czech Republic
      for Sonic Butthole Flipper Youth and trans-sexual-Shaggs fans as well
      as avid listeners of ESP Records. Approved by the Czech Grammophone
      Society for the Preservation of Individual Freedom.
      [7] "Return of the Supercops" on Echo Beach <www.echobeach.de>. Great
      dub label out of Germany. I have to listen again to see whether this
      great conceit actually works. Some excellent dub, others sound like
      they are suffering from concepts and expectations that outstrip the
      ability of the musicians to make it all come true. Uncategorically
      recommended by the Deutsche Rasta Cowboy Club of Hamburg
      [8] "Heard" on International Observer. One of the year's best dub or
      otherwise. Highly recommended by the Interplanetary Foundation for
      the Promotion of Alternative Vision through Dub.
      [9] "Ayeshtem" on Mantra. Great beautiful cross-electro-oriental
      international dance music. A true symbol of
      intra-racial-national-religious harmony. Recommended by the
      Mantra-Hop Society of Collective Orientalisms.
      [10] "El Buya Barbarity" on Recrec/Aladin. Great industrial dub
      Arabic music that pushes the envelope of world music beyond its
      upright cuddiliness. Recommended by the Berber Futurists United.
      [11] "Istanbul's Secrets" on Groove Attack <www.dub-music.de>. One of
      my personal fave bands. They combine a taut, yet all-embracing vision
      of ethnomusicological investigation, preferring to explore
      collaborative common ground than exploit us vs them exoticism. Like
      an ethnomusicological investigation performed in the basement of an
      Istanbul speakeasy, where unspeakable rhythms lead to strange fusions
      and even stranger psycho-active concoctions. Recommended by the
      Furtive Turks Within Us All, Inc.

      ~~~~~~~~~

      o As we approach 1000 radio shows, the anticipation mounts.

      Music Scholar Barred From U.S., but No One Will Tell Her Why

      By NINA BERNSTEIN
      <http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/nina_ber
      nstein/index.html?inline=nyt-per> [courtesy of Paul Moor]

      Nalini Ghuman, an up-and-coming musicologist and expert on the
      British composer Edward Elgar, was stopped at the San Francisco
      airport in August last year and, without explanation, told that she
      was no longer allowed to enter the United States.

      Her case has become a cause célèbre among musicologists and the
      subject of a protest campaign by the American Musicological Society
      and by academic leaders like Leon Botstein, the president of Bard
      College at Annandale-on-Hudson, N.Y., where Ms. Ghuman was to have
      participated last month in the Bard Music Festival, showcasing
      Elgar's music. But the door has remained closed to Ms. Ghuman, an
      assistant professor at Mills College in Oakland, Calif., who is
      British and who had lived, studied and worked in this country for 10
      years before her abrupt exclusion. The mystery of her case shows how
      difficult, if not impossible, it is to defend against such a decision
      once the secretive government process has been set in motion.

      After a year of letters and inquiries, Ms. Ghuman and her Mills
      College lawyer have been unable to find out why her residency visa
      was suddenly revoked, or whether she was on some security watch list.
      Nor does she know whether her application for a new visa, pending
      since last October, is being stymied by the shadow of the same
      unspecified problem or mistake. In a tearful telephone interview from
      her parents' home in western Wales, Ms. Ghuman, 34, an Oxford
      graduate who earned her Ph.D. from the University of California,
      Berkeley, said she felt like a character in Kafka.

      "I don't know why it's happened, what I'm accused of," she said.
      "There's no opportunity to defend myself. One is just completely
      powerless."

      Kelly Klundt, a spokeswoman for Customs and Border Protection in the
      Department of Homeland Security, said officers at San Francisco
      International Airport had no choice but to bar Ms. Ghuman because the
      State Department, at its discretion, had revoked her visa. The State
      Department would not discuss the case, citing the confidentiality of
      individual visa records. Mr. Botstein, who wrote to Secretary of
      State Condoleezza Rice in the hope of having the visa problem
      resolved before the music festival, said Ms. Ghuman's case is
      symptomatic. "This is an example of the xenophobia, incompetence,
      stupidity and then bureaucratic intransigence that we are up
      against," he said, also citing the case of a teacher of Arabic at
      Bard who missed the first weeks of the spring semester this year
      because of visa problems. "What is at stake is America's pre-eminence
      as a place of scholarship."

      Ms. Ghuman is certainly not alone in her frustration. Academic and
      civil liberties groups point to other foreign scholars who have been
      denied entry without explanation at an airport, or refused a visa
      when they applied. A pending lawsuit by the American Civil Liberties
      Union contends that the Bush administration is using heightened
      security measures to keep foreign scholars out on ideological grounds
      in violation of the First Amendment rights of American scholars to
      hear them.

      But Ms. Ghuman's case does not seem to fit such a pattern. Few
      believe that her book in progress, "India in the English Musical
      Imagination, 1890-1940," or her work on Elgar, best known by
      Americans for "Pomp and Circumstance," could have raised red flags in
      Washington. And if it were a question of security profiling, nothing
      in her background fits. She was born in Wales. Her mother is a
      British homemaker, and her father, an emeritus professor of
      educational psychology at the University of Wales, was born in India
      to a Sikh family and moved to Britain in the 1960s. Last semester,
      Ms. Ghuman tried to teach her students by video link. This academic
      year, she is on an unpaid leave of absence.

      "The arbitrary and inexplicable exclusion of Dr. Ghuman has been a
      personal tragedy for her and a cause of distress to Mills and to
      American higher education," said Janet L. Holmgren, the president of
      Mills College, who called her "one of our most distinguished faculty
      members."

      "She seems to be in this limbo," said Ms. Ghuman's fiancé, Paul
      Flight, 47, who has visited her three times in Britain and is
      considering a move there. Mr. Flight, a countertenor, co-directed
      Darius Milhaud's opera about Orpheus and Eurydice with Ms. Ghuman at
      Mills three years ago. Ms. Ghuman's descent into the bureaucratic
      netherworld began on Aug. 8, 2006, when she and Mr. Flight returned
      to San Francisco from a research trip to Britain. Armed immigration
      officers met them at the airplane door and escorted Ms. Ghuman away.
      In a written account of the next eight hours that she prepared for
      her lawyer, Ms. Ghuman said that officers tore up her H-1B visa,
      which was valid through May 2008, defaced her British passport, and
      seemed suspicious of everything from her music cassettes to the fact
      that she had listed Welsh as a language she speaks. A redacted
      government report about the episode obtained by her lawyer under the
      Freedom of Information Act erroneously described her as "Hispanic."

      Held incommunicado in a room in the airport, she was groped during a
      body search, she said, and was warned that if she moved, she would be
      considered to be attacking her armed female searcher. After
      questioning her for hours, the officers told her that she had been
      ruled inadmissible, she said, and threatened to transfer her to a
      detention center in Santa Clara, Calif., unless she left on a flight
      to London that night. Outside, Mr. Flight made frantic calls for
      help. He said the British Consulate tried to get through to the
      immigration officials in charge, to no avail. And Ms. Ghuman said her
      demands to speak to the British consul were rebuffed. "They told me I
      was nobody, I was nowhere and I had no rights," she said. "For the
      first time, I understood what the deprivation of liberty means."

      As Ms. Ghuman tells it, the officers said they did not know why she
      was being excluded. They suggested that perhaps a jilted lover or
      envious colleague might have written a poison-pen letter about her to
      immigration authorities, she said, or that Mills College might have
      terminated her employment without telling her. The notions are
      unfounded, she said. One officer eventually told her that her
      exclusion was probably a mistake, and advised her to reapply for a
      visa in London after a 10-day wait. But it took more than eight weeks
      for her file to be transferred to the United States Embassy in
      London, in part because of routine anthrax screening at the State
      Department.

      Š Inquiries by Ms. Ghuman's representative in Parliament and several
      members of Congress, including Senator Richard J. Durbin of Illinois,
      have been to no avail, said Byron Adams, a professor of music at the
      University of California, Riverside, who said he had known Ms. Ghuman
      for years and respected her work. "All of these people have gotten
      the runaround from the State Department," Mr. Adams said.

      In late spring, when hope faded that Ms. Ghuman's visa nightmare
      would be resolved quietly, Charles Atkinson, the president of the
      American Musicological Society, asked its 3,600 members to send
      letters to the State Department expressing "our profound
      consternation and anxiety over the treatment of one of our members."
      The society has invited her to lecture at its conference in November,
      which, "in a fortunate circumstance," Mr. Atkinson said, is to be
      held in Quebec. The $500 travel grant they have awarded her will not
      cover the cost. But at least, he said, she can expect Canada to let
      her in.

      Sub-Prime Concept Explained
      Jon Carroll at SFGate.com:
      <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/08/21/DDI0RK
      NQA.DTL>

      [courtesy of Carola at Mondo QT]

      For a long time, I've had a lot of trouble understanding this
      sub-prime lender thing. It just couldn't be real. I figured it must
      be some higher economics that I, as a high school graduate, could not
      hope to understand. Here's the way it seemed to me: Guy walks into a
      lending institution and says, "I'd like to buy a house. I have no
      assets, no job and only one form of identification, a Cody, Wyo.,
      library card."

      Lender: "Of course you want to have a house. It's the American dream.
      Heck, I own a house, and as you can see I'm wearing a suit that cost
      more than your car. And I know you want security for your family. So
      how much do you need?"

      Borrower: "Did you hear the part about my current financial situation?"

      Lender: "This is America! Everyone deserves a break, a second chance,
      a piece of the pie. I don't even want to know the details. Do you
      have a dollar in your pocket?"

      Borrower: "Sure!"

      Lender: "That's your down payment! Simple as that. Now, how big a
      mortgage do you want?"

      Borrower: "Uh, $200,000?"

      Lender: "Two hundred K? In this market? Are you kidding? Let's make
      it 600 K. You can get a nice little starter house in a marginal
      neighborhood for that. And here's the best part: For the first year,
      your payments are only $49.95 a month. After that, rates and payment
      schedules change, but that's a whole 12 months away and in between,
      you'll be the envy of your friends. Shake, partner."

      Now, who on God's earth thought that was a good idea? Couldn't even
      the dullest adult (like, say, me) see disaster coming a mile away? It
      did not take a particular kind of genius to forecast despair and
      heartbreak. But the lending institution wanted the mortgage because
      it could sell it to another company that would use the full value of
      the mortgage as collateral to get a loan to take over U.S. Plumbing
      and Parrots (USP&P), a publicly held company. And everyone would
      pretend that of course the loan was going to be repaid, that it was a
      rock-solid investment, and everyone could trust everyone and all the
      birdies in the trees sing your favorite melodies. In fact, not a
      negative word was heard from the people passing by.

      And the borrowers! I can kind of understand the dynamic, using a
      frat-boy brand of logic. "Hey, we get this great crib right now for
      peanuts, and the payments will get huge at some point but, dude, by
      then we'll be in Mazatlan. My brother!" And then there'd be
      tribal-recognition finger waggling, and they'd own a house.

      Or rather, they'd be entitled to live in a house that someone else
      owned, but they'd still get to be called homeowners and deduct the
      interest paid from their income taxes, provided they had income. Come
      to think of it, maybe that's what the lenders were thinking about
      too: Mazatlan. As long as the fragile bubble did not burst, they
      would make a lot of money and purchase, through a dummy corporation,
      a very large house in Mazatlan. What they were doing was not illegal
      - indeed, it could even be seen in benign social terms, as lowering
      the barriers to home owning or some damn thing - but, when everything
      fell apart, people might get mad and the lenders might want to be in
      Mazatlan, where they could surf the same beaches as the people who
      borrowed money from them.

      Not surfing the beaches would be anybody who took this subprime
      lending stuff seriously. That would include young families who
      somehow thought their house came with magic beans, and the holders of
      stock in subprime lending companies, who also believed in magic
      beans, plus an unknown number of citizens who invested in some fund
      somewhere that was trying to show a high rate of return by purchasing
      subprime mortgages.

      "What's safer than real estate?" they would say. "They're not making
      any more land." It's a seductive line, but it's just another line,
      much like "I'll call you in the morning." And then everybody runs
      around for a while singing Bruce Springsteen songs, and stocks go
      tumbling and people sell at a loss because people mutter "dot-com,
      dot-com" to themselves with great regularity while waiting for their
      broker's Web page to reload, and finally the business page has
      something to write about. I know I must be missing something, because
      it can't be this simple. The fundamentals are sound, we are told, and
      the Fed is sanguine, and Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are doing just
      fine, so settle down, little children, as you sleep on your aunt's
      sister's couch. It's all a big adventureŠ.

      OTHER PATAPOE SHOWS:
      o Jonges v/d Vlakte [Boys from the Plains]: "De cottonpickin' Jongens
      Mondays @ PTP
      o Dr. Doo Wop is one of the most eccentric and stimulating radio
      shows anywhere. Sartre, DeSade, Doo Wop and music from the gonads. On
      temporary [we hope] medical leave.
      o Solus: Minimal electro techno acid french hiphop / Thursdays 22.00
      o Super Nova is a big potpourri of sounds influences and information
      both local and elsewhere. Can you picture a sound? On Sundays
      18.00-20.00.
      o Wildcat Radio: Anarchist organization presents radio as it should
      be - in your ear. Saturdays 18.00-20.00.
      o De Oktoskoop: Kinderen /kid /children /rugrats and other
      visionaries. Sat. 11.30-13.30
      o POLYPHAKE PLAPPERLAPAPP: "polyphone audioerosion featuring
      occasional beatweirdniks in an plaperlappap assemblage hosted by
      F.Fiasko 22:30-?? Wednesdays
      o Radio Worm: Rotterdam-based radio collective presents inventive
      programming to baffle all preconceptions. Midnight Sundays and in
      autopilot rotation.
      o HET PROGRAMMA: industrial lounge for collapsing people. Tuesdays 21:00

      ~~~~

      * Wreck This Mess-Paris @ Radio Libertaire, Paris 89.4 hosted by
      Laurent Diouf 1/2 PanouPanou on Tuesdays 12:30-14:30 check
      <http://www.wtm-paris.com>
      * Black Sifichi / Audiometric radio check <http://www.blacksifichi.com>

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Dina Appeldoornstraat 11-3
      1076 AX Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 2500± READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK
      o Check out NEW excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete
      on Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/>