Re:Thoughts on a music collection crisis

  • Glenn Danas
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 2007
      I'm glad that someone raised this issue--I am actually dealing with the same thing. Live in an apartment, but have about 3000 cds and at least 2000 LPs with all 7" and 10" records in storage. I'd love to scale it down but don't know how. I don't know what I own, I can't find things when I want to, and, worst of all have noticed a chilling effect on my consumption of new music. I don't want to get rid of things that I may one day want because I've noticed that my taste seems to move in cycles. I bought a very nice large wood record "shelf" (about 10 feet wide and 6 feet tall) for LPs, but for cds, even if I had the space, the shelving would have to be custom built and would be very expensive. If anyone has succeeded in dealing with this issue I would also really appreciate your sharing your solution.

    • Bruce Tennant
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 9, 2007
        A year ago I bought several "Benno" CD tower shelves from Ikea. Size: 80"H x 8"W x 7"D. Capacity: 180 single jewel cases--15 on each of twelve shelves (they're more like cubbyholes than shelves). The shelves are adjustable for taller things; most extra-tall CD cases fit without adjusting. They can be hooked together for stability. They're pretty easy to put almost anywhere because of their very small footprint.

        I know that sounds like a pimp for Ikea but these shelves saved my sanity (okay, not really, I'm still rather screwed up....)