Wreck Birthday

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2 2:56 AM

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: 381 [978*]: Wreck Birthdays
      PTP in the ether: 88.3FM
      Where purity & puerility are synonymous
      streaming via internet:
      <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>

      16 Juli 2007 // 17.00-19.00

      "Birthdays are like big loud ticks on a clock attached to a time bomb"
      o me
      ******
      Crowding into the Behavioural Sink > A_Doitigny vs Jon Vaughn [1]
      Morosofie1 > Wreck This Mess vs b/art [2]
      Koons > A_Doitigny [1]
      Cuba Libre > Xavier Cugat [3]
      King Kong > Mike Mainieri [4]
      Will > Weather Report [5]
      Shoshoku Remix > Lukas Simonis vs Takayuki Kawabata [6]
      Green Guava > Lord Tickler [7]
      Wiggle Waggle > Herbie Hancock [8]
      NY Editor > Amon Tobin [9]
      Steppin' > Herbie Hancock [10]
      Hoppin' John > Melvin van Peebles [8]
      My Friend's Wife > The Darts [11]
      On Evil > David Carridine [8]
      Saboteur > Amon Tobin [9]
      Thank You For Talkin' to Me Africa > Sly & the Family Stone [12]
      The Brazilianire > Amon Tobin [9]
      Blue Champagne [Bossa Nova] > Xavier Cugat [3]
      Bossa Nova Zembla > Henk Elsink [13]
      's Wonderful [Bossa Nova] > Earl Okin [14]
      Inside My Love > Minnie Ripperton [8]
      Color Field > A_Doitigny [1]
      De Allermooiste Stad Ligt aan de Amstel > Mokummers [15]
      Gutai > A_Doitigny [1]
      They Callit Existential Monday > Mikhail Horowitz & Gilles Malkine [16]
      Lord Forgive Me [Doomsday Line Mix] > DJ Vadim [17]

      * This big total is the TOTAL number of ca. Shows I have done since
      the beginning of time or 20 years ago at WFMU [NY], Radio Libertaire
      [Paris], and Radio 100 & Radio Patapoe [Amsterdam].

      [1] "Geisteswissenschaften" on No Type <www.notype.com>.
      [2] "Lo Fi Morosophy 1-5" my one-hour mega-mx contribution to the
      4-hour program on VPRO devoted to the subject
      <http://www.vpro.nl/programma/zaterdagavond/afleveringen/33778658/>
      [3] "Cugi's Cocktails" on Mercury.
      [4] "An American Story" on NYC Records.
      [5] "Sweetnighter" on CBS vinyl 1973. Fusion at its most spacey.
      [6] "News" on Z6. Interesting abstract West meets East.
      [7] "Take Me To Jamaica - The Story of Jamaican Mento" Great vintage stuff.
      [8] "Superbad" on Warner Dance. Cool
      kitch-pimp-gangster-freedom-fighter-ghetto shit. Minnie Ripperton is
      a strange vocalist indeed. And her voice seems to have the kind of
      depth that stands the test of time. When I listen to Joanna Newsom, I
      hear elements of Ripperton's dreamy and winsome and wispy vocals that
      transport you to a world of dreams. She is also a strange yodeler.
      [9] Saw this DJ at the North Sea Jazz Festival and was impressed by
      his ability to handle so many sources, sounds, beats, waves, and come
      up with an explosive sound that explodes expectation. A strange
      tapestry of warped sounds begins to act a lot like fringe jazz and
      that was the idea. Just when the loungy beats get heads and feet to
      shaking, he shifts gears to prevent the fascism of beats from ruling
      the inherent interest in how sounds collide and blend.
      [10] "Man-Child" on CBS vinyl 1975. Hmm.
      [11] "Everyone Plays Darts" on Magnet Records. Yikes.
      [12] "There's a Riot Goin' On" on Epic. One of my all-time faves
      because the beats were rock solid but space-bound, speculative,
      hopeful, escapist, complex, hippie-meets-soulŠ
      [13] "De Beste van Henk Elsink" on Philips vinyl. Yikes.
      [14] EO comes across as a very entertaining revenge-of-the-wusses,
      prying loose 21st century versions of the Loudon Wainwright III
      school of humor in a Newport folk cabaret where all the drinks are
      unpronounceable and colours you never even imagined. He seems to
      revel in his over-the-hill nerdism and seems bemusedly toying with
      the gloss of eroticism that colors so much pop. Really funny. Thanx
      Brad-Lay.
      [15] "'n Brokkie Amsterdam" on Polydor vinyl. Oh, Amsterdam, you
      sentimental old beer-bellied geezer.
      [16] "Poor on Tour & Over 54" on No Help Here. It doesn't get much wittier.

      o It's my birthday and this I prefer to celebrate on a very small
      scale - if at all. But it seems to make some uncomfortable that I
      would rather not make a big deal out of it. Especially here in the
      Netherlands where everyone's own birthday is the single biggest
      holiday in NL. So everyday is party time you could say. I guess the
      best things to receive are the things I receive from Nina and Paloma.
      I guess the nicest thing is to be together and do nothing
      particularly special. Go out to eat or something. But further I value
      a moment's respite from the fleeting and bleating and out of focus
      rapid progress of mankind headed nowhere special. To play board games
      and then listen to music and eat good food and be able to have the
      time to write - and ultimately be finally rewarded for the 2 million
      hours I have put into this addiction. This would be the ultimate gift
      - a reputable lead to the appreciation of my work that would lead to
      contracts and publication and some level of being able to step back
      and say I did something that is being recognized. This happened with
      the YODEL book. I was in NY shortly after its publication and walking
      around Manhattan and saw it in some bookstore windows and suddenly I
      had a feeling I had been hankering after for years that feeling [it
      lasted an hour or 2 - but then again, how long does orgasm actually
      last?] of relief, a meditative state characterized by a relaxed sense
      of accomplishment although it is too bad that that sense usually
      involves product as proofŠ

      o I am trying to remember memorable birthdays and I know there are
      some but the precise memories escape me. Although I DO seem to
      remember a wild intoxicating beach blanket limbo beer-soaked party in
      Ocean Grove, NJ. I seem to remember that my birthday might have been
      a mere pretext, a jumping-off point for more generic sun-worship
      partying.

      o Others born on July 16: Ida B. Wells [African-American
      anti-lynching crusader, women's rights activist, and all-around
      liberationist] / Barbara Stanwyck / Desmond Dekker / Stewart Copland
      / Mary Baker Eddy [Christian Scientist founder] / Ginger Rogers / Cal
      Tjader ==== Deaths: Harry Chapin died on my birthday in 1981, of a
      heart attack when his car was rear-ended / Patrick Dewaere, actor who
      shot himself in 1982 and New Wave partner of Nina Hagen,
      singer-painter Herman Brood I think jumped off the Hilton Hotel [site
      of Yoko-Lennon Bed-In] in Amsterdam, across the street from my
      daughter's school, 5 years ago on the day before my birthday but I
      did not hear about it until the 16th, I think / Heinrich Böll in 1985
      / JFK Jr. 1999 / == Events: In 1927 Augusto Sandino began his '5-year
      war' against US occupation of Nicaragua / In 1935 the first automatic
      parking meter was installed / Salinger's CATCHER IN THE RYE published
      in 1951 / Watergate Tapes come to light in 1973 / Reptiles nominate
      Reagan for Prez in 1980 who in 1984 declared July 16 National Ice
      Cream Day - Now there you go! / /

      o From: Bill Levy <levyandco@...> regarding my Allen Ginsberg
      show a couple of months back [See About.com soon for its inclusion in
      an expanded Ginsberg entry]: Dear Bart,
      Here's one of bits of doggrell where the title has more words than
      the verse itself:
      WHY I NEVER SOUGHT MORE PERSONAL CONTACT WITH ALLEN GINSBERG
      Already had a Jewish mother
      Didn't need another.
      Although Allen was primarily a Cheerleader for the Zeitgeist, HOWL &
      KADDISH are great poems, ranking in their way with WASTELAND and
      PISAN CANTOS. But as Ed Sanders once said to me: "If Allen wasn't
      such a nice guy, you could really hate him."

      Always enjoy your radio broadcasts. Yes; I have been seriously ill
      this past year including three near death experiences. Not doing much
      radio, but maybe start again Š. [we wish Levy a swift recovery so
      that he can go back to one of the most consistently elevated weekly
      hours of inspired radio, his Dr Doo Wop Show on Radio Patapoe. Also:
      this is an author that should be more widely read. Do some research
      and some Googling.

      o MY WEBSITE <http://www.bartplantenga.com> is nearly done: thanx to
      Roma, Sifichi, Marie & Paloma. It is something that has been
      "underway" since Pawel offered to set one up for me. Pawel has
      encountered his own kind of turbulence and I wonder how he is. Last
      I heard he was about to be deported because of a rabid redneck's
      frothingsŠ What I notice about a website is that it forces you to
      give shape to your entire life in the form of verifiable legacy, of
      accomplishments and under-regarded landmarksŠ

      * Artist friend Francesca coming to town and so looking at things to
      do in Mid-September in Amsterdam. Amazing array of music i would like
      to see. Have been invited to Gaudeamus Music Week, an annual festival
      of inventive music in the heart of Amsterdam. Will go to that. But I
      rarely go out more than once a month: a combination of Paloma, work,
      lack of going-out inspiration, and trying to set up website and get
      the million hours of writing I have thus far amassed into some
      logical, consumable, purchasable, readable order.

      * Upcoming recommended music in Amsterdam:
      - Sept. 6 The Night of the Unexpected as part Gaudeamus at Paradiso
      - Sept. 8 Pete Philly & Perquisite, Melkweg
      - Sept. 8 Von Magnet + Negative Stencil Sugar Factory Amsterdam
      www.sugarfactory.nl
      - Sept. 9 Pitch Black & Jasper [Crazy Baldhead], Winston
      www.myspace.com/pitchblacknz // ambient dub from down under
      - Sept. 12 Joanna Newsom, Paradiso
      - Sept. 20 The Ex and Getatchew Mekuria, Paradiso
      - Sept. 23 Willem Breuker Kollektief, Bimhuis
      - Sept. 27 Jonathan Richman, Melkweg
      - Oct. 11 Bad Brains, Paradiso
      - Oct. 12 Theo Loevendie & Ziggurat, Muziekgebouw [I think he will be
      premiering his yodel composition to be performed by Kristina Fuchs]
      - Oct. 17 Ani diFranco, Melkweg
      - Oct. 18 Nouvelle Vague Melkweg
      - Oct. 26 Sonny Rollins Concertgebouw

      OTHER PATAPOE SHOWS:
      o Jonges v/d Vlakte [Boys from the Plains]: "De cottonpickin' Jongens
      Mondays @ PTP

      o Dr. Doo Wop is one of the most eccentric and stimulating radio
      shows anywhere. Sartre, DeSade, Doo Wop and music from the gonads.
      Now on Radio Patapoe on Sunday 17.00-18.00 Amsterdam time

      o Solus: Minimal electro techno acid french hiphop / Thursdays 22.00
      o Super Nova is a big potpourri of sounds influences and information
      both local and elsewhere. Can you picture a sound? On Sundays
      18.00-20.00.

      o Wildcat Radio: Anarchist organization presents radio as it should
      be - in your ear. Saturdays 18.00-20.00.

      o De Oktoskoop: Kinderen /kid /children /rugrats and other
      visionaries. Sat. 11.30-13.30

      o POLYPHAKE PLAPPERLAPAPP: "polyphone audioerosion featuring
      occasional beatweirdniks in an plaperlappap assemblage hosted by
      F.Fiasko 22:30-?? Wednesdays

      o Radio Worm: Rotterdam-based radio collective presents inventive
      programming to baffle all preconceptions. Midnight Sundays and in
      autopilot rotation.

      o HET PROGRAMMA: industrial lounge for collapsing people. Tuesdays 21:00

      ~~~~

      * Wreck This Mess-Paris @ Radio Libertaire, Paris 89.4 hosted by
      Laurent Diouf 1/2 PanouPanou on Tuesdays 12:30-14:30 check
      <http://www.wtm-paris.com>
      * Black Sifichi / Audiometric radio check <http://www.blacksifichi.com>

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Dina Appeldoornstraat 11-3
      1076 AX Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 2500± READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK
      o Check out NEW excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete
      on Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/>