Re:Thoughts on a music collection crisis

  • Glenn Danas
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 2007
      I'm glad that someone raised this issue--I am actually dealing with the same thing. Live in an apartment, but have about 3000 cds and at least 2000 LPs with all 7" and 10" records in storage. I'd love to scale it down but don't know how. I don't know what I own, I can't find things when I want to, and, worst of all have noticed a chilling effect on my consumption of new music. I don't want to get rid of things that I may one day want because I've noticed that my taste seems to move in cycles. I bought a very nice large wood record "shelf" (about 10 feet wide and 6 feet tall) for LPs, but for cds, even if I had the space, the shelving would have to be custom built and would be very expensive. If anyone has succeeded in dealing with this issue I would also really appreciate your sharing your solution.

    • stratoskye
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 4, 2007
        Derek Bailey said folk should only really listen to his releases once.

        --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "jamie hills" <jamesmichael21@...> wrote:

        > stick 80% of it on hd, then sell it.........its the most logical
        thing to
        > do... i have 1000 cdrs and 5000 lps on hd.....
        > j.

        > Can you see your house from the sky? Try Live Search Maps
        > http://maps.live.com

      • mark winkelmannn
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 5, 2007
          Actually the albums I love most are often those which I could make money on if I sold.

          To: thewire@yahoogroups.comFrom: johnd@...: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 11:38:59 -0400Subject: RE: [thewire] Thoughts on a music collection crisis

          You need a "tough love" approach for thinning the collection. A good rule of thumb might be something I heard on "Wife Swap" of all places. Do you love it? Do you need it? Does it make money? If the answer to all those questions is no, then you should probably dump it.At 11:28 AM 9/5/2007, you wrote:>Getting rid of crap albums is fine and easy - the problem is the ok ones.John Diliberto((( (((echoes))) )))Producer/Host1-610-827-9600Read the Echoes Blog-Hear Echoes 24/7-Sign up for Echoes Interview Podcast, Join us at www.myspace.com/echoesspacehttp://www.echoes.orgMail To:EchoesP.O. Box 256Chester Springs, PA 19425Ship to:Echoes1709 Art School Rd.Chester Springs, PA 19425

        • François Couture
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 6, 2007
            While some listers are helping you with the second aspect of your question
            (should I get rid of part of my collection?), I¹d like to chime in on the
            first aspect, i.e. How to make my collection take less space.

            For a few years now, I have been gradually replacing jewel cases with
            polyvinyl sleeves. I found a size of gatefold polyvinyl sleeve that allows
            me to put the CD (or both CDs if it¹s a double set) into a paper sleeve,
            then that and the tray card in the right half of the polyvinyl sleeve, and
            the booklet in the left half. Takes about a third of the width of a jewel
            case. I still keep some albums in jewel cases to create easy alphabetical
            beacons along the shelves (and there are artists I just couldn¹t put out of
            their jewel cases ­ I like the look of that long row of Zappas... :-)

            Anyway, for three years now, my collection has been growing and growing, but
            the shelf space has not: newcoming CDs are switched to polyvinyl sleeves
            (except for digipaks of course), and a few old CDs are switched every month
            to compensate whenever a shelf threatens to get overcrowded.

            If anyone¹s interested, I can post the links to the actual product I¹m
            using.

            Hopefully helpful,

            Francois C.

          • Bruce Tennant
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 9, 2007
              A year ago I bought several "Benno" CD tower shelves from Ikea. Size: 80"H x 8"W x 7"D. Capacity: 180 single jewel cases--15 on each of twelve shelves (they're more like cubbyholes than shelves). The shelves are adjustable for taller things; most extra-tall CD cases fit without adjusting. They can be hooked together for stability. They're pretty easy to put almost anywhere because of their very small footprint.

              I know that sounds like a pimp for Ikea but these shelves saved my sanity (okay, not really, I'm still rather screwed up....)