RE: [thewire] Thoughts on a music collection crisis

  • jamie hills
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 3, 2007
      stick 80% of it on hd, then sell it.........its the most logical thing to
      do... i have 1000 cdrs and 5000 lps on hd.....
      j.

      Can you see your house from the sky? Try Live Search Maps
      http://maps.live.com
    • Glenn Danas
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 4, 2007
        I'm glad that someone raised this issue--I am actually dealing with the same thing. Live in an apartment, but have about 3000 cds and at least 2000 LPs with all 7" and 10" records in storage. I'd love to scale it down but don't know how. I don't know what I own, I can't find things when I want to, and, worst of all have noticed a chilling effect on my consumption of new music. I don't want to get rid of things that I may one day want because I've noticed that my taste seems to move in cycles. I bought a very nice large wood record "shelf" (about 10 feet wide and 6 feet tall) for LPs, but for cds, even if I had the space, the shelving would have to be custom built and would be very expensive. If anyone has succeeded in dealing with this issue I would also really appreciate your sharing your solution.

      • stratoskye
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 4, 2007
          Derek Bailey said folk should only really listen to his releases once.

          --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "jamie hills" <jamesmichael21@...> wrote:

          > stick 80% of it on hd, then sell it.........its the most logical
          thing to
          > do... i have 1000 cdrs and 5000 lps on hd.....
          > j.

          > Can you see your house from the sky? Try Live Search Maps
          > http://maps.live.com

        • mark winkelmannn
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 5, 2007
            Getting rid of crap albums is fine and easy - the problem is the ok ones.

            Work out an ideal number of CDs - perhaps enough to fill all your shelves and keep thecollection at that amount.

            Ocaisionally stop playing all the new albums and play some things from your all time classic top 50 - to remind yourself just what GREAT music is. Then dump some of those middling releases. Chances are you won't regret it or want to listen to it again. If you do chances are you'll find a copy cheap and easy.
          • John Diliberto
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 5, 2007
              You need a "tough love" approach for thinning the collection. A good
              rule of thumb might be something I heard on "Wife Swap" of all
              places. Do you love it? Do you need it? Does it make money? If the
              answer to all those questions is no, then you should probably dump it.

              At 11:28 AM 9/5/2007, you wrote:

              >Getting rid of crap albums is fine and easy - the problem is the ok ones.

              John Diliberto
              ((( (((echoes))) )))
              Producer/Host
              1-610-827-9600

              Read the Echoes Blog-Hear Echoes 24/7-Sign up for Echoes Interview
              Podcast, Join us at www.myspace.com/echoesspace
              http://www.echoes.org

              Mail To:
              Echoes
              P.O. Box 256
              Chester Springs, PA 19425
              Ship to:
              Echoes
              1709 Art School Rd.
              Chester Springs, PA 19425
            • jamie hills
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 5, 2007
                http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220146056456&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=012

              • mark winkelmannn
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 5, 2007
                  Actually the albums I love most are often those which I could make money on if I sold.

                  To: thewire@yahoogroups.comFrom: johnd@...: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 11:38:59 -0400Subject: RE: [thewire] Thoughts on a music collection crisis

                  You need a "tough love" approach for thinning the collection. A good rule of thumb might be something I heard on "Wife Swap" of all places. Do you love it? Do you need it? Does it make money? If the answer to all those questions is no, then you should probably dump it.At 11:28 AM 9/5/2007, you wrote:>Getting rid of crap albums is fine and easy - the problem is the ok ones.John Diliberto((( (((echoes))) )))Producer/Host1-610-827-9600Read the Echoes Blog-Hear Echoes 24/7-Sign up for Echoes Interview Podcast, Join us at www.myspace.com/echoesspacehttp://www.echoes.orgMail To:EchoesP.O. Box 256Chester Springs, PA 19425Ship to:Echoes1709 Art School Rd.Chester Springs, PA 19425

                • François Couture
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 6, 2007
                    While some listers are helping you with the second aspect of your question
                    (should I get rid of part of my collection?), I¹d like to chime in on the
                    first aspect, i.e. How to make my collection take less space.

                    For a few years now, I have been gradually replacing jewel cases with
                    polyvinyl sleeves. I found a size of gatefold polyvinyl sleeve that allows
                    me to put the CD (or both CDs if it¹s a double set) into a paper sleeve,
                    then that and the tray card in the right half of the polyvinyl sleeve, and
                    the booklet in the left half. Takes about a third of the width of a jewel
                    case. I still keep some albums in jewel cases to create easy alphabetical
                    beacons along the shelves (and there are artists I just couldn¹t put out of
                    their jewel cases ­ I like the look of that long row of Zappas... :-)

                    Anyway, for three years now, my collection has been growing and growing, but
                    the shelf space has not: newcoming CDs are switched to polyvinyl sleeves
                    (except for digipaks of course), and a few old CDs are switched every month
                    to compensate whenever a shelf threatens to get overcrowded.

                    If anyone¹s interested, I can post the links to the actual product I¹m
                    using.

                    Hopefully helpful,

                    Francois C.

                  • Bruce Tennant
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 9, 2007
                      A year ago I bought several "Benno" CD tower shelves from Ikea. Size: 80"H x 8"W x 7"D. Capacity: 180 single jewel cases--15 on each of twelve shelves (they're more like cubbyholes than shelves). The shelves are adjustable for taller things; most extra-tall CD cases fit without adjusting. They can be hooked together for stability. They're pretty easy to put almost anywhere because of their very small footprint.

                      I know that sounds like a pimp for Ikea but these shelves saved my sanity (okay, not really, I'm still rather screwed up....)