Wrecking Pretentious Pompous Haut Snob Stuff

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2007

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: 377 [974*]:
      Wreck Pretentious Pompous Haut Snob Electronic Nice People
      PTP in the ether: 88.3FM
      Where purity & puerility are synonymous
      streaming via internet:

      18 Juni 2007 // 17.00-19.00

      "the ever-active yet somehow static nature of some of the pieces, as
      they reach very rich sonic densities, start opening like rich noise
      * Anonymous

      "TH... entered sounding an intricate abstract, promising the
      extraordinary within the context of song..."
      * Anonymous 2

      Lektricks > Rotary Connection [1]
      God Moving Over the Face of the Waters > Moby [2]
      Perpetual Sound Check > DJ Olive [3]
      La ou vont les Nuages > Gilles Gobeil [4]
      + French & English Lessons [Reverbed] [5]
      Niki D > Harold Budd [6]
      Shadow Behind the Iron Sun > Evelyn Glennie [7]
      Out of Adedara > Jon Hassell [8]
      The Walls with the Paintings > The Reflection [9]
      Gaps > Komputer [10]
      Saint-Urbain > Lena [11]
      Running Away > Seven Dub vs Noiseshaper [12]
      Callings > Lena [11]
      Flex > Pitchblack vs son.sine [12]
      Sassoon Docks > Lena [11]
      Big Trouble Upstairs > Pitchblack vs Hummel [12]
      Trans-Europa Express > Senor Coconut [13]
      Sushit > Hightone [14]
      African Style Version > Black Notes vs Lee Scratch Perry [15]
      Sprawl > Matt Rogalsky [16]
      + "The Table Obligatoire" > French & English Lessons [Reverbed] [5]
      Hypnosis Theme > Wax Tailor vs Marina Quaisse [17]

      * This big total is the TOTAL number of ca. Shows I have done since
      the beginning of time or 20 years ago at WFMU [NY], Radio Libertaire
      [Paris], and Radio 100 & Radio Patapoe [Amsterdam].

      [1] Weird 60s psychedelic soul experimental-sounds group from Chicago
      formed by Marshall Chess, son of the founder of Chess Records.
      [2] Moby's beautiful Reichian piano loops.
      [3] Among the very best of NY's experimenters in dub and beyond.
      [4] Electro-acoustic whoosh 'n' fwaaap from Canada. Recently in a
      radio show and playlist I asked what the 'ondes' was, well
      musicologist Rene van Peer explained that it is indeed an instrument
      called ondes Martinot. 'Maurice Martenot, according to wikipedia [I
      think], a Cellist and radio Telegraphist, met the Russian designer of
      the Theremin, Leon Termen in 1923, this meeting lead him to design an
      instrument based on Termens ideas, the first model, the
      "Ondes-Martenot" was patented on the 2nd of April 1928 under the name
      "Perfectionnements aux instruments de musique électriques"
      (improvements to electronic music instruments). His aim was to
      produce a versatile electronic instrument that was immediately
      familiar to orchestral musicians. The first versions Š consisted of
      two table mounted units controlled by a performer who manipulated a
      string attached to a finger ring (using the bodies capacitance to
      control the sound characteristics in a manner very similar to the
      Theremin) this device was later incorporated as a fingerboard strip
      above the keyboard. Later versions used a standard keyboard. The
      Ondes-Martenot became the first succesfull electronic instrument and
      the only one of its generation that is still used by orchestras
      todayŠ The Ondes-Martenot was quickly accepted and eventually had a
      wide repetoire, works were written for the instrument by composers
      such as Edgard Varèse, Olivier Messian (The "Turangalîla Symphonie"
      and "Trois Petites Liturgies de la Presence Divine" amongst others
      ),Darius Milhaud , Arthur Honegger, Maurice Jarre, Jolivet and
      [5] Speech, language and typing records are great for sampling randomly.
      [6] Tinkle Tinkle little pian-a / how you drag us into a 4th world miasma.
      [7] "Shadow Behind the Iron Sun" <www.evelyn.co.uk>. Recommended.
      [8] Hassell here tries to leap out of the constrictures of 4th world
      atmospheres by punching out some beats to uneven effect. Like a guy
      who hasn't been to a dance club in 20 years suddenly comes back to
      try to show the young ones how its done. Not.
      [9] Contemplative shimmer staring out from the top of the Tate modern
      sipping a latté.
      [10] "The Uncertain Trail" on Sounds Around. The [my] album of the
      year thus far.
      [11] Click click fwtt. The sound of the heart inside a titanium strait jacket.
      [12] Electro-dub at its most scinetifically precise, which when it
      goes well is great but when the inspiration lags, sounding rote and
      soulless. They have many great discs under their belts but their
      latest wasn't one of them.
      [13] Great post-Ninja-Tunes exo-beats, take robotic dance into warmer climes.
      [14] Great noisy sci-fi dubnautics.
      [15] The genius clown. All seriousness [including language] is
      dubious, ridiculous, genius.
      [16] This piece sprawls across our feckless, busy-drone lives like a
      storm cloud full of electro-magnetic menace and beauty.
      [17] Odd updates of old-style samplodelics with retro-futuristic beats.

      o To witness how strong emotion [blindness to actuality] is when
      people talk about politicians [or cars or best pizza orŠ] is a
      strange thing. We have a guest - well, he's on his way to Lourdes as
      he discovers his mortality is in fact in his face - from Florida,
      Nina's dad's old friend, a black man, ex-addict and now
      rehabilitating kids for 30 plus years. We talked about the upcoming
      American elections and he went suddenly soft on Hillary, not because
      of her but because of who she is married to the beloved [by blacks]
      Bill Clinton. Basically the greatest president ever for some. Partly
      because he related to them as an honorary black guy cuz he grew up
      very poor blabla. Never mind what he did for or against poor people
      and was pro-death penalty [which is heavily racist] and all the rest.
      They just LOVE the guy and no amount of reality checking will change

      o Luckily Ed W. was here for the Northsea Jazz Festival and so we
      talked about music. I went with lovely N. as part of my birthday
      present. It is now in Rotterdam, no longer in the Hague and I was
      impressed by how well it is put together. And the variety of acts,
      some bordering on incredibly dubious - Gino Vanelli, ex Milli Vanilli
      but there is a lot of experimental jazz and also electronica that
      reprocesses jazz licks like Amon Tobin, who in a medium-sized tent
      managed to baffle and awe and shock a lot of listeners. Extreme beats
      and segues. Being soeone who is increasingly claustrophobic esp. in
      big crowds I found it VERY do-able and anxiety minimal. Important for
      enjoyment of subtle material altho much of that was thrown out of the
      window for pyrotechnics and rock arena flair as was the case with
      Mike Manieri's Steps Ahead - many solos especially metally guitar.
      Then Joe Zawinul's new project which combines fusion [ex-Weather
      Report] and Latin beats and Zap Mama vocals to good effect except
      when showmanship gets the best of them and things go pyro and noodly.

      o Recent benefit for Patapoe raised some 1300 euros. Amazingly nice.
      Something we really needed as our Marantz cd players are slowly
      showing old man grumpiness. Why is it that 2 exactly the same models
      of cd player react so differently to CDRs. And isn't that somewhere -
      in the CD or in the player - a major flaw? One marantz plays CDRs,
      the other doesn't. All of these kinds of details involving rearranged
      channels, turntable that work or don't, tape decks moved, all help
      create that weekly experience of having to deal with difference,
      change, rearrangement and chaos and that is why live radio [on PTP]
      always sounds different than pre-fab radio.

      o This playlist deals, in its own way, with the over-abundance of
      texts explaining justifying contextualizing modern difficult music. I
      like reading some of these texts but I often get the Tom Wolfe
      Painted Word feeling that the words are meant to help escort the
      sounds into legitimacy, and valueŠ I read the texts and then listen
      and I do not hear what the words have described. Improvisers often
      ignore the fact that when they improvise it is incredibly
      interesting, fun, bonding, whatever but that does not necessarily
      mean there is any entry point for outsiders, passive listeners,
      intruders and that these are so often put out on CD makes me wonder
      about motive and about human endeavor in general. The language is
      often that of the trade and thus the text explains in a language not
      necessarily accessible to lay-people details of the listening
      experience, which leads me to believe like much of aca-speak, it is
      meant to disguise rather than uncover something; the articulation
      actually masking a deeper-seated problem with meaning - and, of
      course, a kind of disdain for anything that smells of popular

      o Jonges v/d Vlakte [Boys from the Plains]: "De cottonpickin' Jongens
      Mondays @ PTP

      o Dr. Doo Wop is one of the most eccentric and stimulating radio
      shows anywhere. Sartre, DeSade, Doo Wop and music from the gonads.
      Now on Radio Patapoe on Sunday 17.00-18.00 Amsterdam time

      o Solus: Minimal electro techno acid french hiphop / Thursdays 22.00
      o Super Nova is a big potpourri of sounds influences and information
      both local and elsewhere. Can you picture a sound? On Sundays

      o Wildcat Radio: Anarchist organization presents radio as it should
      be - in your ear. Saturdays 18.00-20.00.

      o De Oktoskoop: Kinderen /kid /children /rugrats and other
      visionaries. Sat. 11.30-13.30

      o POLYPHAKE PLAPPERLAPAPP: "polyphone audioerosion featuring
      occasional beatweirdniks in an plaperlappap assemblage hosted by
      F.Fiasko 22:30-?? Wednesdays

      o Radio Worm: Rotterdam-based radio collective presents inventive
      programming to baffle all preconceptions. Midnight Sundays and in
      autopilot rotation.

      o HET PROGRAMMA: industrial lounge for collapsing people. Tuesdays 21:00

      * Wreck This Mess-Paris @ Radio Libertaire, Paris 89.4 hosted by
      Laurent Diouf 1/2 PanouPanou on Tuesdays 12:30-14:30 check
      * Black Sifichi / Audiometric radio check <http://www.blacksifichi.com>

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Dina Appeldoornstraat 11-3
      1076 AX Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      o Check out NEW excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete
      on Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/>