Wreck: Brilliant Withdrawal

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2007

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: 374 [971*]: Brilliant Withdrawal
      PTP in the ether: 88.3FM
      Where purity & puerility are synonymous
      streaming via internet:
      <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>
      28 May 2007 // 17.00-19.00

      "It is my fervent belief that when legislators create a list of
      places where people can't carry guns, what they have actually done is
      create a shopping list for a mad man." Texas governor Rick Perry

      "I actually got angry that Virginia Tech had said 'no you can't have
      a gun', and here's this incident, the second-largest school shooting
      in the world and no-one could do anything about it. Now, when I walk
      into my own class, I have to think: 'Where do I want to sit so I can
      make a quick getaway?'" Andrew Sugg, Baylor University student and
      member of the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus

      Berlin / room for Room > Jonas Braasch [1]
      Fish Tales from the Bible > If, Bwana [2]
      La Valse de la Bourgeoisie > Willem Breuker [3]
      Stolz > Coolhaven [4]
      Harlem Overdrive > Visit Venus [5]
      Rote Gitarre > Coolhaven [4]
      Der Affe unde Der Ich > Rocket / Freudental [6]
      Erführung > Coolhaven [4]
      David Hasseloffalwaffle [think positive] > Message for Fish Cliffy [7]
      Geburtstag Drink am Sunset > Coolhaven [4]
      Gerümpel zu Verkaufen > Rocket / Freudental [6]
      Harlem Overdrive > Visit Venus [5]
      Morosofie1.1e > Wreck This Mess [8]
      #23 The Lay of Ike > John Berryman [9]
      Pleasing the Korean > Pussy Galore [10]
      Christian Soldiers > Barbara Barg [11]
      Phallus C > Osibisa [12]
      Morosofie2.1e > Wreck This Mess [8]
      I Don't Need It, I Don't Want It & You Cheated Me Out of It > John Giorno [11]
      Hey Lawdy Mama > Minutemen [13]
      Buckets of Rain > Bob Dylan [14]
      Tongue Tied > Wanda Jackson [15]
      Dangerous Ground > Varsity Singers [16]
      Hot Dog That Made Him Mad > Wanda Jackson [15]
      Anglais avec son Sang Froid > Paddy Roberts [17]

      [1] "Global Reflections" on Deep Listening <www.deeplistening.org>.
      Interesting foray into "jamming" with your surroundings or at least
      having a dialog with the invasive out there and your hermetic in here.

      [2] "Radio Slaves" on Generator. Brilliant high quality material from
      the master DIY 80s tapesmiths. Too bad this CD is already acting up
      in a manner no unlike a poorly burned CDR. It's hard to get it to
      play in a variety of CD players.

      [3] "Drums in the Night / Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui" on BVHaast
      <www.bvhaast.nl>. Excellent interpretations of Brecht work.

      [4] "Strombolique Phantasien" on Taple <www.coolhaven.nl>. Is the
      post-modern equivalent of a rock opera based on the life of
      cult-actor David Hasselhoff. Highly recommended for those who don't
      mind finding their hero unrecognizable or pulled down a peg or 2.

      [5] "Music for Space Tourism, Vol. 1". 1995. German Visit Venus is a
      duo that produces chill beats and eminently cozy jazzy electronica.
      There are also humorous-kitschy-post-mod excavations of denigrated
      genres like jazz rock and the spacey jazz of Weather Report.

      [6] "Wir Leben Wie Gespenster" on Trikont
      <www..rocket-freudental.de>. Rocket in that great tradition of
      rudimentary punk rock [like Trio] which simplifies everything down
      about 8 notches and comes up sounding fresh, original, punk,
      experimental, kinetic. Always recommended.

      [7] V/Vm-related material of dumpster-jumping in the pop garbage bin
      area down a dead end alley. Vengeful irony never sounded so sharp.

      [8] Section one of a commissioned soundscape piece for Worm-produced
      program on Morosophy for VPRO public radio, the personal philosophies
      of schizos that are so involved and enthusiastically elaborate that
      their insanity begins to gain a kind of resonance of possibility.
      More later.

      [9] great poem by one of the many poets from that late-1950s through
      1970s era who were so astute at fusing their own spiritual misgivings
      with the general zeitgeist that they ended up with a single exit
      option - suicide.

      [10] "Pussy Galore" on Pussyfoot. Special compilation. Ny-ish noise
      punk with a special "my life in the thrill kill kult" side which
      meant moving beyond just lame old guitar punk and incomprehensible
      [and thus lauded] noise. They engaged in clever remixes that made
      their material more listenable and resonate beyond just post-CB's
      types.

      [11] "One World Poetry: Live from Amsterdam" on Giorno Poetry Systems
      / Knipscheer / MilkyWay. As produced by the long-dead Benn Possett,
      deliriously blends Dutch and Anglo poets for a really nice record of
      resistance poetry with a sense of humor. Recorded live in Amsterdam
      in 1980. Includes this excellent Barg piece. Stay tuned for more on
      the Benn Possett memorial reading to happen in Amsterdam in 2008.
      Anyone who appeared at one of his events is invited to perform. It
      will be a full gala event.

      [12] "Osibisa" on MCA vinyl. Found this on Queens Day for 50 cents.
      Olatunji meets Santana on the way to Burundi Black's house.

      [13] "Project: Smersh" on SST vinyl. Now listened to I believe their
      special blend of earnest leftism, speed metal jazz noise was
      overrated because you REALLY wanted to like them.

      [14] "Blood on the Tracks" on Columbia vinyl, 1974. Still a great
      record at a time when I went to see Dylan and met 2 Jim Morrison fans
      dressed as pre-Goths and we had a kiss and discuss encounter on their
      front stoop on the Westside of Ann Arbor.

      [15] "Let's Have a Party" on Charley vinyl. great compilation by this
      vivacious, sexy, Oklahoma-born rockin' queen of rock and roll who
      toured with Elvis as a kind of female equivalent.

      [16] "Songs of America" on Concertone vinyl.

      [17] The Englishman and his usual bloody cold.
      Oh the Englishman is noted for his "sang froid"
      Which translated means his usual bloody cold
      And he loves his pipe and slippers and the missus and the nippers
      And he's happy simply growing old
      And he never says a word if he can help it
      That's why people say he's always full of phlegm
      He's quite unmoved by atom bombs and rockets to the sun
      He never speaks to strangers for it simply isn't done
      But when cricket starts his fury's uncontrolled
      The Englishman with his usual blood cold

      Oh the Englishman could not be called romantic
      His technique is not particularly good
      All the French and the Italians chase their women round like stallions
      But the Englishman's a suet pud
      And the slightest demonstration of affection
      He regards as being rather infradig
      He says the way the French behave is absolutely nuts
      He'd like to try it really but he hasn't got the guts
      He's scared to death the neighbours might be told
      The Englishman with his usual blood cold

      Oh! The Englishman has lot of little foibles
      And some of them are really past belief
      For he's still of the opinion that the folk in each dominion all regard
      him as the big white chief
      But in spite of all of his curious delusions
      Underneath it all he has a heart of gold
      And when the Armageddon comes
      And all the world is dust
      And men will come to judgement as we know they surely must
      He'll be there with his umbrella neatly rolled
      The Englishman and his usual blood cold
      The Englishman and his usual blood cold
      Atchoo

      o Murder in Manheim Township: My mother lives in Amish Country,
      Pennsylvania Dutch Country. In the middle of picturesque rolling
      hills in mid-PA. Very conservative - people are still proud that they
      voted 4 times AGAINST FDR! - and the burden of a lot of religious
      zealotry. A lot of the people in the area seem to know what is best
      for everyone. A lot of these people are not Amish and not Mennonite.
      They are in fact the benefactors [economically] from the fact that
      they live a lifestyle so unusual that people come from big cities
      like Philly in big buses just to photograph them. They also hate the
      Amish as is the wont of many religious zealots, they hate with
      justification. The Amish don't pay taxes the same way as normal
      people do and tear up the pavement with their horses and buggiesŠ A
      year ago or so some normal guy, a milkman, hijacked a big milk truck
      and drove it to an Amish one room school house, chased all of the
      boys and teachers out, lined up the little girls and shot them in the
      head one by one execution style, then killed himself. No one saw him
      as anything but ordinary. No record, no unusual behavior, married,
      religious, kidsŠ His wife had no idea that he had amassed a sizeable
      gun collection. You know the story; whenever and wherever [US, UK,
      NL, wherever] there is a murder in an unlikely place, a suburb, a
      quiet town, the neighbors are always interviewed and always say: he
      was such a nice guy, ordinary, played with the kids, fed birds, was a
      boy scout leaderŠ

      A more recent murder less than a mile from my mom's house in a
      well-to-do area, someone killed a teen boy and his parents, while the
      20-year-old daughter managed to escape to call police. The immediate
      aftermath led to lots of advice on increased security and vigilance.
      The problem with this scenario is the one that keeps coming back:
      Ordinary people are the murderers. Like a scene out of Night of the
      Living Dead, the more you try to barricade yourself from external
      killers, the less likely you will be able to escape from inside when
      you find out the killer is one of you. This is the illogical notion
      behind getting guns to protect yourself. The more we try to protect
      ourselves from those out there who are murdering us, the more we
      forget that we are locking ourselves in homes, fortresses and gated
      communities with the very people who will do us harm - ourselves, our
      relatives and friendsŠ

      A majority of murders happen inside the house and are committed by
      someone [family, friends, acquaintance] of the victims and are often
      killed with their own weapon. The murder in this clean and upscale
      hood remained unsolved and would have remained so had the perp not
      confessed to his father and had his father not gone to the police.
      The accused [self-confessed] was the teen boy's best friend. Thus far
      still no motive but the boy said he had merely intended to smother
      his friend to death but instead knifed him and his parents to death.

      The point here is that normal people gather with other normal people
      in a kind of tribe and depending on how fervently they want to remain
      untaintedly normal, they tend to exclude [often to the excluded's
      relief no doubt] the not-normal - usually something to do with black
      or gay or alternative lifestyle or environmental nuts or
      non-christians or free thinkers or, well, you knowŠ It is there that
      they conveniently manage to place blame when things do not go
      according to the book [Bible or other self-help manual] and as one
      can certainly now conclude: the enemy is among and he is us. Us
      because we pressure the young to conform to stupid ideologies that
      crimp and crumble the minds of kids, skew their values to
      unlivability. And those who seek the answer, the respite, in families
      should take a look at the ravages of what family member do to one
      another. Sure families are great when they are great but hell when
      they are the very criminals you thought lived outside your gated
      [psychologically] communities. This is one of the central themes of
      my novel Ocean Groove, Ocean Grave, which documents incidents that
      happened while I lived in a self-righteous, self-enamored, weird
      religious community along the New Jersey shore, which was a summer
      resort for Methodists [the kind that came here were precisely the
      kind with mean-spirited bumper stickers like GOD WILL PUNISH YOU FOR
      NOT HEEDING MY WORD], Republicans right-wingers with god on their
      side, Nazis-lightŠ

      Today on the BBC website, this article. Mind you, this is 2 years
      after Jeb [bro] Bush, as governor of Florida, signed legislation that
      allows people to carry guns into bars to protect themselves!

      Americans call for gun freedom By Kati Whitaker, BBC Radio 4's
      Crossing Continents 5 July

      In the aftermath of the Virginia Tech massacre, many Americans have
      been campaigning for permission to carry guns in more places, even
      churches and schools.

      "Imagine you are in a restaurant and a mad man is walking around from
      table to table, pointing a gun, taking aim and pulling the trigger,
      going to the next person, taking aim, pulling the trigger and so on,"
      says Suzanna Hupp.

      "Even if you have chosen not to have a gun with you - don't you hope
      the guy behind you has one? Just imagine that." But Suzanna Hupp does
      not have to imagine. It was October 1991 when a gunman entered the
      diner where Suzanna, a Texan chiropractor, was having lunch with her
      parents. The man methodically executed 23 people including Suzanna's
      parents. Suzanna had a gun. But since Texan state law at the time
      banned people from carrying guns in public places, she had left it in
      her car.

      "My gun was 100 feet away in my car, completely useless to me," she
      says. "I was angry at my legislators because they had legislated me
      out of the right to protect myself and my family." The massacre was,
      until Virginia Tech, the largest mass shooting by a single gunman in
      the US. Now, in the wake of that tragedy, Suzanna is one of a growing
      body of Americans campaigning for the availability of more, rather
      than fewer, guns. "Nobody could have stopped that guy from the first
      couple of murders but it sure wouldn't have been a body bag total of
      32," she says.

      Gun sales
      Statistics are hard to come by, but at Saxet Gun Show in Austin
      Texas, there was plenty of anecdotal evidence to back the claim that
      since Virginia Tech, more Texans, at least, are now applying for
      licences to carry guns. At a huge convention centre in the southern
      suburbs of Austin, Judith Baker of A Texas Girl's Guns firearm sales
      company was talking a young woman through the safety features on her
      new handgun. "Gun sales have gone up since Virginia Tech. Not just my
      own sales but many dealers and distributors have also increased their
      gun sales," she says.

      "And we are not just talking men here but I am seeing a lot more
      women wanting to get their concealed handgun licence. I am glad to
      see that women are learning to protect themselves."

      Some 48 states in the US issue licences to allow the carrying of
      concealed weapons to those who pass a background check. But states
      vary in their restrictions. Thirty eight states, including Virginia,
      ban weapons at schools. In Texas, certain places like churches,
      courthouses and schools, are designated "gun-free zones". It is an
      exception that Texas governor Rick Perry recently challenged with the
      wholehearted endorsement of campaigners like Suzanna Hupp. "It is my
      fervent belief that when legislators create a list of places where
      people can't carry guns, what they have actually done is create a
      shopping list for a mad man," he said.

      Guns in classes
      Andrew Sugg is a student of aviation science at Baylor University at
      Waco and a member of the newly formed national body Students for
      Concealed Carry on Campus. He is spearheading a campaign for students
      to be allowed to carry concealed firearms into the classroom. "I
      actually got angry that Virginia Tech had said 'no you can't have a
      gun', and here's this incident, the second-largest school shooting in
      the world and no-one could do anything about it," he says. "Now, when
      I walk into my own class, I have to think: 'Where do I want to sit so
      I can make a quick getaway?'

      "I look at my book bag and think: 'What can I throw at someone who
      comes through the door? What could I do to stall him and let
      everybody get away or what can I do to stop him from doing this?'."
      It is a mindset that is of considerable worry to the campus police
      force.

      Lethal combination?
      Baylor University has a dedicated force of 24 police officers who are
      trained and drilled to respond to a firearms attack such as that at
      Virginia Tech. Its chief, James Doak, said that the potential for
      strife is considerable among its 14,000 18-to-22 years-olds - whether
      it is stress of exams, girlfriend problems or simply hot tempers. Add
      guns to the equation and the combination could be lethal.

      "We cannot rely on students who have not been drilled in these
      situations to respond properly. Would they freeze up? Would they have
      a sense of terror in their hearts so they respond inappropriately?"
      he says. "Our officers have a level of life experience which students
      can't possibly have at the age of 21 or 22."

      But like many other Americans, Mr Sugg points to the Second
      Amendment, the right to keep and bear arms, as a fundamental
      justification for his position. "Guns are to me a freedom, that is
      what won us our freedom during the revolutionary war and we've had
      them ever since," he says.

      Your main weapon is to participate in society by refusing to
      participate in the escalating insanities now described as avg. normal
      society. Anyway, back to the music, one of the only distractions that
      may be able to save humanity from itselfŠ

      I'm currently writing the liner notes for a great new disc: Suicidal
      Yodels by Erika Stucky. She does lots of cover versions and here on
      this new release will cover Dylan's "All I Really Want to Do",
      featuring some amazing yodels [echoing and amplifying Dylan's own shy
      plaintive yodel] as does the rest of this intriguing set of blues
      yodels as filtered through a Haight-Ashbury Swiss galŠ

      OTHER PATAPOE SHOWS:
      o Jonges v/d Vlakte [Boys from the Plains]: "De cottonpickin' Jongens
      Mondays @ PTP

      o Dr. Doo Wop is one of the most eccentric and stimulating radio
      shows anywhere. Sartre, DeSade, Doo Wop and music from the gonads.
      Now on Radio Patapoe on Sunday 17.00-18.00 Amsterdam time

      o Solus: Minimal electro techno acid french hiphop / Thursdays 22.00
      o Super Nova is a big potpourri of sounds influences and information
      both local and elsewhere. Can you picture a sound? On Sundays
      18.00-20.00.

      o Wildcat Radio: Anarchist organization presents radio as it should
      be - in your ear. Saturdays 18.00-20.00.

      o De Oktoskoop: Kinderen /kid /children /rugrats and other
      visionaries. Sat. 11.30-13.30

      o POLYPHAKE PLAPPERLAPAPP: "polyphone audioerosion featuring
      occasional beatweirdniks in an plaperlappap assemblage hosted by
      F.Fiasko 22:30-?? Wednesdays

      o Radio Worm: Rotterdam-based radio collective presents inventive
      programming to baffle all preconceptions. Midnight Sundays and in
      autopilot rotation.

      o HET PROGRAMMA: industrial lounge for collapsing people. Tuesdays 21:00

      ~~~~

      * Wreck This Mess-Paris @ Radio Libertaire, Paris 89.4 hosted by
      Laurent Diouf 1/2 PanouPanou on Tuesdays 12:30-14:30 check
      <http://www.wtm-paris.com>
      * Black Sifichi / Audiometric radio check <http://www.blacksifichi.com>

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Dina Appeldoornstraat 11-3
      1076 AX Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 2500± READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK
      o Check out NEW excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete
      on Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/>