Wreck: Die Trip Stucky Thrive & Yodel

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2007

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: 368 [965*]: Die Trip Stucky Thrive
      PTP in the ether: 88.3FM
      Where purity & puerility are synonymous
      streaming via internet:
      <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>

      26 maart 2007 // 17.00-19.00

      "Here's the singer with lone thoughts / the singer with big knots /
      in her stomach and brain / wish it would rain // Here's the woman the
      warrior / here's the breeder the comforter / here's the star with the
      crown / the diva in her gownŠ"
      o Erika Stucky

      d'Meigja > Erika Stucky [1]
      Bad Weather Circuits > Die Trip Computer Die [2]
      Ich h-a-n-e Öpfel funde > Song of Autumn [1]
      Castle Büchwater > Die Trip Computer Die [2]
      The Tuned Knife & Fork Toned Down > L. Voag [3]
      America's Burning > Die Trip Computer Die [2]
      What Architects Dream of > L. Voag [3]
      The Goal-Keeper's Fear of the Piss-Up > L. Voag [3]
      Beauty Spreads > L. Voag [3]
      Aural Terrorism > L. Voag [3]
      We Dress Up Our Ideas to Make Them Seem Greater Than They Really
      Are > L. Voag [3]
      Fourth Floor > Die Trip Computer Die [2]
      Die Like a Hero > Erika Stucky [4]
      Murdering the Old Ones > Die Trip Computer Die [2]
      Geisterreiter > Brigitt's Trio [5]
      Just Don't > Erika Stucky [4]
      We Are Your Friends > Die Trip Computer Die [2]
      Just a Nobody > Mike Johnson [6]
      You Know You're Right [Cobain] > Erika Stucky [4]
      I Bin Aus Oberösterreich > Brigitt's Trio [5]
      Zaüerli > Erika Stucky [7]
      Waitress > Erika Stucky [4]
      Bloodmilch > Die Trip Computer Die [8]
      Wiggle > Erika Stucky [9]
      The Rusting of Techno-Cop > Die Trip Computer Die [8]
      I Believe in Roy Rogers > Mike Johnson [6]
      Muleskinner Blues > Jose Feliciano [10]
      Anti-Fugue > Die Trip Computer Die [8]
      Tipsy > Erika Stucky [9]
      Walter's Strip Joint > Erika Stucky [7]
      Meteor-Boogie > Brigitt's Trio [5]
      I Hate Dogs > Erika Stucky [7]

      [1] "Sounds from the Mountains" on Musiques Suisses <www.musiques-suisses.ch>.
      [2] "We Are Your Friends" on DTCD <unexploded@...>.
      [3] "The Way Out" on Alcohol <unexploded@...>.
      [4] "Princess" on Traumton <www.traumton.de>.
      [5] "Jodler und Musik mit Bravour" on ML vinyl.

      [6] "Yodeling 40 years" on Roughshod
      <http://hometown.aol.com/blackyodelno1/>. From the BIG MAG article: I
      have another soft spot for DIY people. People outside of the
      corridors and pig sties of power who must try to connive their own
      way and their own luck. People who believe in their message, their
      selves, their art, their efforts enough to do it oneself. I fashioned
      myself a bit of that type when in the 1970s I began producing
      weird-xerox-literary-punk-poetry-collage zines. I was a late-night
      cabby [taxi driver] and handed my poems out one at a time to whores,
      professors, drunks, old ladies, confessing insomniacs, beautiful
      women with disheveled hair all to earn a smile, a phone number,
      compliment or extra tip.

      This is what Mike Johnson did as a trucker. Not 'zines, but the 80s
      audio equivalent, cassettes. Cassette culture, DIY, anyone could
      record and distribute music, your own music circumvents the labels,
      your own vision evades the self-appointed arbiters of taste.

      MJ: I had been seeing cassettes in a number of truck stops by
      truckers and I thought why not? The first place to accept my homemade
      cassettes was the Union 76 in Montgomery, Alabama. The second one was
      a Union 76 in Slidell, Louisiana. and then one in Chicago. That led
      to a gradual expansion and I began exploring a marketing approach. I
      left autographed photos for the clerks, waitresses, etc. and they'd
      put them on the walls. I left flyers and autographed photos at motels
      and performed in their lounges, etc. This and doing the Country Boy
      Eddie Show in 1982 told me that I had something going and I decided
      it was worth pursuing. But I wasn't going to quit my day job!

      No, trucking is not as lonely as some make it out to be. Unless
      you're talking 1960 and back when they didn't have a lot in the way
      of resources and communications. You put in a lot of time driving.
      But [now] you have radios, televisions, CBs and cell phones, Not to
      mention a huge network of truck stops with all the modern
      conveniences. I was not a truck stop trucker! That's a trucker who
      spends all of his off-time sitting at the coffee counter talking
      about his truck, etc., or in his motel room watching TV and drinking
      beer, etc.

      I did that on late over-night layovers when you pull into a town
      after 6 p.m. and have to leave in the morning. When I had a layover
      [either waiting to drop a shipment or to pick one up - anywhere from
      2 days to a week (especially in El Paso) - I used my free time to go
      fishing, taking photos, horseback riding, and playing music. There's
      so much out there to see and do and I wanted to see it all. It was
      one of my little boy dreams come true! My dad once told me that this
      country was just as much mine as anyone else's and that I should go
      see it if I could.

      [7] "Bubbles & Bones" on Traumton <www.traumton.de>.
      [8] "Short Circuits Vol 1" on DTCD <unexploded@...>.
      [9] "Lovebites" on Traumton <www.traumton.de>.
      [10] "The Voice and Guitar of José Feliciano" on RCA vinyl.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      * the pretty accurate guess of how many shows I have done in total
      over 20 yrs at the 3 radio stations I have worked at [not including
      some guest things at other stations].
      ** The conspiracy of collapsing time is awesome. The more you try in
      a non-buddhist way to control or keep up with time the more it just
      slides through your fingers like half-congealed Jell-o.

      o End of March did 2 very strange lectures in very boheme places.
      Went to Rotterdam early on the 30th of March to see the Kurt
      Schwitters exhibit in the Boijmans Museum. From there I walked to
      Kattendrecht, an island that has been forgotten by urban renewal,
      former location of the Red Light District of Rotterdam, old sailor
      district and now home to many poor people and home to de Player
      <www.stdsps.nl> <www.deplayer.nl> a formidable producer of
      interesting multi-whatever events on the fringe of dada, avant and
      anarcho.

      Here is where I got to do a reading for the launching of a new
      multi-tentacled magazine done the old handcrafter way: Big Mag #1. My
      contribution to the opening theme of 'outsiders' was a Powerpoint
      lecture with graphics, photos and sound samples was on Mike Johnson,
      Black ex-truck drivin', yodelin', pamphleteerin' and rabble-rousin'
      country-singin' cowboy. I would clearly check out the assorted fringe
      acts as I try to figure out precisely why my lecture [format] on
      yodeling [subject] fit in so well with an evening that could best be
      described as amiable mayhem both Friday night in Rotterdam and
      Saturday night in Tilburg.

      Despite the attractions of delirious chaos, and the fact that this
      was the opening night for this nomadic club in their new location,
      behind a gym in a dilapidated neighborhood, the crew of Johan, Peter,
      Annemiek, Koos and others managed to put on a professional and smooth
      running evening where many things were celebrated besides the launch
      of Big Mag. The new location, the good crammed-in turn out, free
      culture, independent spirits, DIY attitudes. I cannot say enough over
      the convivial and professional treatment I received DESPITE the
      daunting circumstances. Anyway, I did my lecture on Friday after
      PHONS BAKX with the harmonica trio O-bergine, which exemplified the
      cross-pollination of avant and experimental with the progressive or
      adventurous elements of what is considered traditional but is perhaps
      better called folk culture, culture that often falls outside the
      blinding eye of television and is thus left to evolve in a way that
      might be considered dangerous.

      The sad part of the evening is that I could not stay for the other
      performers because I was staying with journalist Rene in Tilburg, who
      had offered me a bed in his home. We drove the hour from Rotterdam to
      Tilburg listening to Ethiopian pop of an amazing calibre and talking
      back in that frenetic connective way you do when you meet a kindred
      spirit - every comment stimulated 3 new references, examples,
      memories.

      The next day was a gloriously sunny day in Tilburg and after a nice
      family breakfast, Rene drove me into downtown Tilburg where I checked
      into the Hotel Central [45 euros, so you can imagine it was just
      under Spartan - dour, rundown, dank - and had hints of human odors
      that permeated the walls altho the place was clean and the bed wasn't
      saggy and the TV worked altho there was no remote - I told myself, it
      is across from the train stn, and I am only there to sleep]. Then I
      got to do something so basic and something I never get to do [about
      once every 6 months] shop for music in the shops Rene had shown me.
      This amazingly elementary diversion has become the height of
      pleasurable luxury for me as my days are filled with
      responsibilities, work, writing, research, PalomaŠ

      Yes, shopping for CDs and then reading liner notes later in the early
      evening in a café!

      The NS 16 is an art collective located in a great old building right
      behind the train station that was recuperated and renovated and
      converted by a group of enterprising artists and their plan was
      approved by the city and here they are able to host evenings like the
      one that was about to test the limits of taste and acceptability.
      This was then was their inaugural event, part 2 of de Player's Big
      Mag events. Another evening of nice, clever, creative, pleasant,
      interested, helpful people and an amazing turn out of Tilburg's
      demi-monde.

      After a local street poet did his bit for humanity I did my
      powerpoint presentation and reading on Mike Johnson with some 70
      yodel sound samples. And to tell you the truth, the vaguely nerdy
      aspect of my reading seemed to fold in perfectly to the reigning
      terror of experimentation and the provocative chaos that was about to
      happen with fckn bstrds from Amsterdam which turn disposable stuff,
      garbage and recycled electronica plus post-Dada rantings emerging
      from sagging garbage-carnaval masks and melting collapsing costumes
      made of garbage bags. A frolicsome punkette joined the groveling,
      grunting, lo-fi electronica and sound poetry with some naked
      body-butting and writhing. This performance appeared in the Brabant
      newspaper in the form of a naked pic of the ad libbing punkette.
      Amazingly enough there were 2 articles about the event itself and
      that were amazingly enough mostly devoted to yodeling and my book and
      reading.

      This was followed by Lord of the Yum Yum (Paul Velat), a geek-looking
      [and quite enjoyable] guy who looks almost suspiciously unassuming
      and normal [in real wage-slave life he's a school teacher teaching
      music to kids] but who steps into the backroom emerging as his
      alter-ego in lounge tux doing a deceptively engaging Attention
      Deficit mega-BPM human beatbox throat singing [and some suspiciously
      near-yodels as echo to my reading] and extemporaneous controlled kind
      of sound strut and boom rap with the help of a simple sampler
      [allowing him to become a stuttering choir accompanying himself plus
      his effects board, toe triggered, allows him to create a tsunami of
      tsound] that were actually Devo-like cover versions of classical
      operatic and pop music pieces. Yikes, this is a one man band for the
      21st century. Fold him up ad take him on board add water and inflate
      and you've got an amazingly dynamic performer.

      Meanwhile the English duo called Die Trip Computer Die [or Xanthos or
      L. Voag] disassemble not only simple circuits and sound equipment but
      rearrange our entire notion of what sound performance should be.
      Through their circuit breakery and searching for new fusions and
      welding noisemakers together that were never meant to be side by side
      in the same rhizomic serendipitously determined creation of
      controlled random sounds that when focussed upon becomes a strange
      hypnotic kind of DIY sound. Amazing stuff.

      Meanwhile I spoke to many people including journalists, a music
      professor, the other performers and closet yodel fans for an evening
      of bemused DIY performance that entertained in a challenging way. I
      slept well and the next morning was a very quiet calm morning in an
      abandoned Tilburg. After breakfast I wrote down what Ivo, one of the
      directors of NS 16 had told me late into the night's events, that the
      Hotel Central where I was staying was the HQ from where Dutch Dada
      was hatched back in the early 20th century. Appropriate place to stay
      then. A stimulating, warm, well-fed, drink-tix, babble-licious 2
      evenings.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Two days before the Player events I was more than pleasantly amazed
      by the performance of Erika Stucky [San Francisco / Switzerland]
      <www.erikastucky.com> and band and so was partner Nina. Her modus
      operandi is twisted and surprisingly effective cover versions of
      popular songs or lovingly renovated versions of pop songs you were
      never meant to really care about. And then there is her own
      repertoire of intriguing songs that stop, start, stutter and skip
      through the human condition via yodeling and her rhythm section
      consisting solely of one trombone [Bertl Mütter, also some native
      yodeling] and one tuba [the big-breath American Jon Sass, the
      Coltrane of tuba], played with the loving and enthusiastic authority
      of someone between Jimi Hendrix or some free jazz freak. I have never
      liked these instruments but now I have come to appreciate their sonic
      possibilities.

      What to say about Stucky's evening devoted to the theme of "Suicidal
      yodels" whereby she tended to play UP the blues and melancholy yet
      inspiring aspects of yodeling. Not just one yodel, mind you, but the
      entire first half of the concert, full of natuur jodels, interpreted
      folk yodels and riffing with our presumptions about what yodels ought
      to sound like. The Bimhuis <www.bimhuis.nl> sitting on the Ij in the
      harbor to the east of Centraal Station has never been so full and
      lively and there was good reason - Stucky never takes the easy road;
      although always entertaining her insertion of strange scat and yodels
      and other vocal eruptions in tunes has a way of bending pop around to
      an avant provocation without ever abandoning the fun and
      melody/harmony of good pop. It was as if she had tailored the entire
      concert to my tastes - lilting folk yodels, reconstituted mod yodels
      and the second half devoted to audacious cover versions and some of
      her best own compositions.

      After her "suicidal Yodel" tour she switched gears and went on a
      "Jimi Hendrix" tour doing odd loving Hendrix covers.

      ~~~~~

      vrijdag 30 maart DE PLAYER, Tolhuisstraat 107, Rotterdam, Katendrecht

      GOODIEPAL (performance)
      http://www.ski-pp.com/goodiepal.html
      http://www.brainwashed.com/vvm/micro/parl/index.htm
      LORDOFTHEYUMYUM (performance)
      http://www.lordoftheyumyum.com
      KEREN CYTTER (video's)
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keren_Cytter
      http://www.artfacts.net/index.php/pageType/exhibitionInfo/exhibition/14931
      BART PLANTENGA (reading on yodeling)
      http://www.vpro.nl/programma/deavonden/afleveringen/16649378/
      http://www.blinkbits.com/en_wikifeeds/Yodel
      DIE TRIP COMPUTER DIE or XANTOS or........(band)
      http://www.dietripcomputerdie.com
      HEIN DINGEMANS (exposition of drawings)
      http://www.herenplaats.nl/kunstenaars/index.asp#
      PHONS BAKX met Mondharptrio O-bergine
      www.antropodium.nl

      Zaterdag 31 maart, NS16, NSplein 16, Tilburg

      GOODIEPAL (performance)
      http://www.ski-pp.com/goodiepal.html
      http://www.brainwashed.com/vvm/micro/parl/index.htm
      LORDOFTHEYUMYUM (performance)
      http://www.lordoftheyumyum.com
      KEREN CYTTER (video's)
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keren_Cytter
      http://www.artfacts.net/index.php/pageType/exhibitionInfo/exhibition/14931
      BART PLANTENGA (reading on yodeling)
      http://www.vpro.nl/programma/deavonden/afleveringen/16649378/
      http://www.blinkbits.com/en_wikifeeds/Yodel
      DIE TRIP COMPUTER DIE or XANTOS or........(band)
      http://www.dietripcomputerdie.com
      HEIN DINGEMANS (exposition of drawings)
      http://www.herenplaats.nl/kunstenaars/index.asp#
      FCKN BSTRDS (noise-perfo)
      www.fcknbstrds.com

      OTHER PATAPOE SHOWS:
      o Jonges v/d Vlakte [Boys from the Plains]: "De cottonpickin' Jongens
      Mondays @ PTP

      o Dr. Doo Wop is one of the most eccentric and stimulating radio
      shows anywhere. Sartre, DeSade, Doo Wop and music from the gonads.
      Now on Radio Patapoe on Sunday 17.00-18.00 Amsterdam time

      o Solus: Minimal electro techno acid french hiphop / Thursdays 22.00
      o Super Nova is a big potpourri of sounds influences and information
      both local and elsewhere. Can you picture a sound? On Sundays
      18.00-20.00.

      o Wildcat Radio: Anarchist organization presents radio as it should
      be - in your ear. Saturdays 18.00-20.00.

      o De Oktoskoop: Kinderen /kid /children /rugrats and other
      visionaries. Sat. 11.30-13.30

      o POLYPHAKE PLAPPERLAPAPP: "polyphone audioerosion featuring
      occasional beatweirdniks in an plaperlappap assemblage hosted by
      F.Fiasko 22:30-?? Wednesdays

      o Radio Worm: Rotterdam-based radio collective presents inventive
      programming to baffle all preconceptions. Midnight Sundays and in
      autopilot rotation.

      o HET PROGRAMMA: industrial lounge for collapsing people. Tuesdays 21:00

      ~~~~

      * Wreck This Mess-Paris @ Radio Libertaire, Paris 89.4 hosted by
      Laurent Diouf 1/2 PanouPanou on Tuesdays 12:30-14:30 check
      <http://www.wtm-paris.com>
      * Black Sifichi / Audiometric radio check <http://www.blacksifichi.com>

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Dina Appeldoornstraat 11-3
      1076 AX Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 2500± READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK
      o Check out NEW excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete
      on Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/>

      bart plantenga
      Dina Appeldoornstraat 11-3
      1076 AX Amsterdam