Serpents, Silmarillions & Shamans: locust March Update

  • locustpress
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7 5:08 PM
      Dear friends,
      Sorry for the promotional nature of this message. Just trying to get
      word to the right folks about some great new releases on locust.

      See below for the latest locust music newsletter sent out yesterday.

      luv
      Elena M

      CONSONANTS NOT VOWELS

      When i was a kid browsing the used bins of a staple new jersey used
      books and records shop, i always started with S. For one reason or
      another it seemed to yield the best results. This month sees the
      release of three records that can be neatly filed in the "S" section
      of your record & cd library These records do, however, bear more in
      common than their letter. Each are from a different era; with small
      exceptions,each had no previous existence circulationg the globe &
      each have been several years in the making. These aren't reissues so
      much as resuscitations, first exposures.

      We start with Serpent Power's vinyl only Ourobouros. I courted the
      words on this archival slab in the last update but as a quick
      refresher, this is a live on kpfa circa 1969 2 cut jam that demanded
      release on vinyl. After founder David Meltzer tipped me off to the
      tape's existence, i couldn't wait to get my hands on it and give it a
      listen. Needless to say, it blew me away . Nearly all of the copies
      have shipped off to distributors so if you'd like to grab one from
      us, we recommend picking a copy up now.

      Next up is a long in the works hauntingly beautiful collection
      assembled by Rob Sevier (Numero Group) & myself by the early 70s
      Milwaukee acid folk group Silmaril called The Voyage of Icarus. Known
      only by a small number of record collectors, the band's sole lp "Given
      Time...Or the Several Roads" has been changing hands for upwards of
      $400 since it's rediscovery over the last few years. As the name
      likely suggests, the band was knee deep in a Tolkeinesque fantasy
      world but as we would soon learn, it didn't stop there. Formed under
      the spell of Matthew Peregrine at a Christian youth retreat, Silmaril
      were a true American hybrid - an amalgalmation of tolkein inspired
      fantasy infused with a brooding and ecstatic Christian devotion & a
      self avowed love of British folk rock from across the pond (one tape
      reel even had a hand written note next to a track that read "with
      apologies to Pentangle").

      For the last several years, Sevier and i both endeavored to pull
      together missing pieces of this unusual psych folk group & through
      Rob's perseverence, every surviving member of Silmaril was tracked
      down. In the fall of 2005, in a meeting in Milwaukee with former
      member Sharon Colbert - now a Texas based cantorial singer - we were
      handed a lovely stockpile of memorabilia and-to our great surprise-the
      reels for an unreleased second lp - No Mirrored Temple-that was by
      turns darker, wilder and more deeply lost in the confusion of
      Christian torment than the enchanted fairy tale themes that shrouded
      their debut. Working closely with the band, we threaded a collection
      that blended the best moments of the two albums - electing for a rich
      and flowing listening experience over straight, linear transcription.

      The Voyage of Icarus takes its title from a cut off the album "The
      Voyage of 'the Icarus'". Matthew Peregrine may very well have been
      singing about a fantastical boat in the Milwaukee harbor in the song
      but I think all of us involved in this project have come to see the
      title as sadly prophetic. Peregrine knew many lives and went by
      numerous names as he transitioned from one subterranean lifestyle to
      another and met an untimely death at the age of 41 from HIV/AIDS
      related complications.

      At 60+ minutes, we're proud of this labor of love and hope it does
      something to illuminate a minor masterpiece by a midwestern group
      whose music and lifestyle might serve to recast our collective
      imaginings of a 60s/70s counterculture that's all too often reduced
      to easy classifications and cliche' .

      It's been a few years since the last release in our latitude series
      of wild microphone field recordings but at long last music by the
      late shaman Santiago Mutumbajoy is available on the disc Yage' Pinta
      Psychedelic Shaman Songs of Santiago Mutumbajoy. Knowing full well of
      my appreciation for Michael Taussig's writing & the hopeless ideal
      that some people would buy into the small vision of the latitude
      series, my friend, author Marcus Boon brought the idea to locust some
      time ago. A shoebox full of tapes roughly labeled by date were sent to
      locust HQ and thus began the long exchange back and forth among the
      three of us as some very exacting but never extreme edits were made
      and remade from hours upon hours of cassette tapes (i guess i'm not
      as out of touch with cassette culture as i imagined). It was a real
      pleasure to have an opportunity to work with Michael and Marcus on
      the recordings that lay the audio foundation for Taussig's
      groundbreaking book Shamanism, Colonialism, and the Wild Man: A Study
      in Terror and Healing. The tapes from which this 8 track recording
      were assembled were never meant for purposes other than as field
      notes in the raw, documents of events in Colombia's Putumayo Basin
      when Taussig was living with Santiago Mutumbajoy and his wife
      Ambrosia (you can even hear Taussig interjecting in native tongue on
      occasion with some observation or another).

      To my ears, these Shaman songs-made during opiated Yage' healing
      ceremonies-are hypnotic & entrancing & occupy that strange inbetween
      place where they demand little direct attention but stll remain
      remarkably magnetic. The full 8 tracks can be listened to as a suite,
      a hypnotic musical bed to lie on or piecemeal.

      We encourage you to pick up a copy of this disc as proceeds from the
      sale will go to Fundacion Renacer - a Bogota based outreach &
      rehabilitation orgnization for sexually exploited children & adolescents.

      OUT ON THE OPEN ROAD

      Apothecary Hymns, Coach Fingers, Kill the Vultures & Sir Richard
      Bishop all have a spate of dates this month now that Spring is
      starting to rear it's lovely head. Apothecary Hymns head up north,
      Coach Fingers will go down south, while jib door compatriots Kill The
      Vultures cap off a mammoth headlining tour of France & Italy & Sir
      Richard hits the ground running with Bonnie Prince Billy in Western
      Europe beginning in the Netherlands and finishing off in Denmark.

      Apothecary Hymns
      March 16, 2007 Glasslands (Brooklyn, NY)
      w/ D Charles Speer (NNCK), Pigeons
      March 30, 2007 Super Eagles (Northampton,MA)
      w/ Tarp (Ecstatic Peace), Area C, Brian Michael Roff
      March 31, 2007 AS 200 (Providence, RI)
      w/ Charles Bissell (of the Wrens), Deer Tick, Between The Pine

      Coach Fingers (all dates except * w/ Cherry Blossoms)

      March 23, 2007 Glasslands (New York, NY)
      March 25, 2007 Red Barn / Glad Tree festival (Northhampton, MA)
      March 26, 2007 Pas (Somerville, MA)
      March 27, 2007 Tea Bazaar (Charlottesville, VA)
      March 28, 2007 Pilot Light (Knoxville, TN) w/ Wooden Wand
      March 29, 2007 Lisa's Oak Street Lounge (Lousiville, KY)
      March 30, 2007 Ruby Green (Nashville, TN)
      March 31, 2007 Drunken Unicorn (Atlanta,GA)*

      kill the vultures
      March 6, 2007 bohemian jazz café (bari, italy)
      March 8, 2007 Thermos (ancona, italy)
      March 9, 2007 people (modena, italy)
      March 10, 2007 villa serena (bologna, italy)
      March 11, 2007 unwound (Padova, italy)

      sir richard bishop (all dates w/ bonnie prince billy)

      March 13, 2007 vredenburg (utrecht, netherlands)
      March 14, 2007 mousonturm (frankfurt, germany)
      March 15, 2007 amerika-haus (munich,germany)
      March 16, 2007 fabrik (hamburg,germany)
      March 17, 2007 passionkirche (berlin, germany)
      March 18, 2007 el lokal (zurich, switzerland)
      March 19, 2007 trianon (paris, france)
      March 20, 2007 la cartonnerie (riems, france)
      March 21, 2007 le grand mix (tourcoing, france)
      March 22, 2007 AB (brussels, belgium)
      March 23, 2007 vega (copenhagen, denmark)

      Hunt, Gather!

      dawson prater
      www.locustmusic.com
      www.myspace.com/locustmusic