Wrecking Black Sifichi's Mindscape Voyage

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2007

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: 359 [956*]: Black Sifichi's
      Mindscape Voyage
      PTP in the ether: 88.3FM
      Where purity & puerility are synonymous
      streaming via internet:

      29 January 2007 // 17.00-19.00

      "I'd like to see people treat diamonds like ping-pong balls, throwing
      them to their dogs and cats because they have no value."
      o Black Sifichi, "Meta-Press News Service", Unbearables [Autonomedia, 1995]

      Branding [Rustige Zee] Plons2, Watermolen, OnweerŠ > Frans Peters [1]
      Alpstein > Christina Lauterburg [2]
      Ekhos > Samuel Beaudoin [3]
      Dinofly > Saycet [4]
      The Next Room > Black Sifichi [5]
      Money > Dub Floyd [6]
      Larvagroove > Servovalve [7]
      We Need More Cops > Mac Fichi [8]
      Shaping > Mimetic vs Data Senses [5]
      Great Dub in the Sky > Easy Star All-Stars [6]
      Manhole to Audio Kaleidoscopic Apparitions > Furry Meteors [7]
      Too Hot Globally > Thierry Arnold vs Black Sifichi [9]
      Metadine > Saycet [4]
      Midnight Moonbeams [Scotty Mix] (exclusive) > Black Sifichi [10]
      Seahorses > Moondog [11]
      Emergency Supply Kit > Weace vs Black Sifichi [12]
      Danger Global Warming > Superstoned [13]
      Synthetik > E.A.M. [14]
      Peryphery > Lena Floating Roots Orchestra [15]
      Maud Takes > Saycet [4]
      Purposeful Lady > Robert Ashley [16]
      Ledoj Express > Christina Lauterburg [2]
      L'Hiver > C-Drik [5]
      Num Num > Negative Stencil vs Sylvatica [5]
      Blue Haunted Blues > Norscq vs Pierre Belouin [17]
      Lachende Vagabond > Bobbejaan Schoepen [18]

      o Dear friend Black Sifichi, multi-talented artist and performer,
      came up for a quick visit end January with partner Roma Napoli in
      part to visit but also to record our co-written short story "Wet
      Dreams of the Pope" as a radio play for Dutch public radio to be
      broadcast in April [stay tuend]. We also did a radio show together on
      WTM-Amsterdam. With much of his own material, some related performers
      and musicians and projects I have known BS for almost 20 years now.
      We met somewhere in late 1988 at an art opening at the Crime Gallery
      in Bastille. We have been good friends and collaborators ever since.
      We used to do a lot of dynamic radio programs on Radio Libertaire
      between then and 1991 when the station was still located just
      downhill from the Sacré Couer. His level of production in both
      quantity and quality is quite astounding. He has done a lot and has
      now firmly made his name in french audio production and performance
      as the Ken Nordine of the 21st century but also the Man Ray, the
      Spalding Gray, the Burroughs, the Jello Biafra, the Š well, you get
      the idea, a man whose ouevre has not been sufficiently assessed nor
      appreciated. In an early novel about NY a frustrated writer plots his
      own death to gain attention and finally come to zeitgeist's
      forefront. It seems that he is such a fixture, with so much
      generosity and good spirit and energy and creative texts that
      although appreciated within his realm [the people he records with and
      his friends] he is somewhat overlooked and under-appreciated in the
      scheme of things especially when we look at the media attention much
      lesser spoken word / poetry / vocal performers have garnered in the
      past 10 years. Anyway, take note and check him out on his radio show,
      his tours, his performances, his visual art, his inclusion in various
      anthologies and print media and his website:

      o A question for our PTP technical staff from Hopeful the Clown, PTP
      fan and WTM playlist reader: bart, your shows looks so good, but I
      never remember to listen online. Are you ever going to archive shows,
      for even a week (as an, ahem, podcast or something)? I know WFMU has
      a number of web-only shows -- any chance you could leave your weekly
      puddle of beauty there?

      o comments about my critical comments on James Brown's politics from
      Black Yodeler No. 1, Mike Johnson: "Very good article. Personal and
      political politics can often be very confusing. To say that Brown's
      politics were controversial is probably an understatement indeed.
      However, taken in objective context with his life and times to me its
      not all that confusing. He changed many horses in mid-stream trying
      to gain mainstream acceptance in a nation that was firmly entrenched
      in a separate and not equal mindset. His reference to Thurmond being
      like a "grandfather" is not totally surprising or confusing. When the
      "worst" of us have some redeeming qualities. Of course, its always
      the worst that gets the attention. Controversial figures like
      Thrumond have a basic attribute in common that attracts most of us.
      Good, bad, or indifferent, they are people of firm conviction. They
      are secure in themselves and are resolute in their beliefs. Nobody
      will follow much less greatly admire a wishy-washy person. This is
      why Alexander's men followed him to India, Custer's men to the Little
      Big Horn, the Japanese Kamikazies flew without parachutes, and so
      forth. President LBJ will be forever remembered by his southern
      policital peers as a turn coat to the "America way." However, LBJ,
      placed his oath of office above his personal well-entrenched southern
      values, perspectives and politics and took positive action towards
      providing political and social equality to America's minorities.
      Unlike the stone-walling JFK. Yes, I put Al Sharpton into the same
      category as Jesse Jackson. Only around when the cameras are on and
      very politically motivated. When I transferred from my all colored
      Catholic elementary school/neighborhood in 1956 to the [mostly] white
      Catholic elementary school there was a lot of pressure to become "one
      of them" yet by the same token we were constantly reminded of our
      "place" in mainstream America. I don't think anyone can fully
      understand the impact of that duality unless they have actually lived
      it. For me it was an introduction into a world of double standards
      and biases, as well as to a world of potential, yet still
      unattainable opportunities. This was totally different from the
      secluded colored community that I was born into. Over the years I had
      to learn to evaluate and balance my position with my surroundings.
      How to determine actual acceptance versus tokenism. Along the way I
      met and became lasting friends with numerous people of all ethnic and
      racial backgrounds. But I have always maintained a personal code and
      ethic that I won't compromise or cross. This alone has kept me and
      others in proper perspectiveŠ."

      o Musician Jane Gilday comments on spinning Algebra Suicide's great
      poetry single, an underground hit from WAY back before performance
      and slam poetry were even genres: "how nice to see lydia's 'true
      romance'!!!!! bless you! i never heard it as a recording..... but am
      long-familiar with it--on the page, as poem--i have lydia's
      very-first chapbook here, saved through all the years and wanderings,
      still in my possession (along with NICE lit magazine)....it's great.

      o Meanwhile 1/2 of Algebra Suicide writes: Hey Bart, thanks very much
      for playing True Romance! I now have put up a myspace site at
      <http://www.myspace.com/algebrasuicide> to keep the buzzarama going!

      o Synchronicity and coincidence, the motor and gearbox of pirate
      radio. Received this from Luc Houtkamp whose new CD I featured in
      early December: The nice thing is that 4 december is also my
      birthday! Groetjes, Luc Houtkamp, Website: http://www.luchoutkamp.nl

      [1] "Stereo Geluiden voor Dias en Films" on Fontana vinyl.

      [2] "Alles Bleibt Anders" on Dewil Music <www.dewilmusic.ch>. One of
      my tops for 2006. Alpine meadow ambience track of 30-ish minutes.
      [3] "Cache 2004" on CEC <http://cec.concordia.ca>.

      [4] "One Day at Home" on Electronypop <www.saycet.com>.

      [5] "Riyaz Master: Future Comparative Ethnic Research" on Thisco
      records - Portugal <http://www.thisco.net >
      <http://www.loopcentury.com>. Using the Indian raga beat box (Riyaz
      Master) which is traditionally used by sitar players for practicing
      with, Sigmoon invited 20 artists to experiment and create new sounds
      using this simple beat machine with it's inbuilt ethnic indian sound.
      What was designed to be a double cd was eventually issued as a single
      cd with 13 tracks after a two year wait. One of the rare Sifichi solo
      tracks, which details the description of an artistic installation
      that would require more than 9000 speakers. Thanks to DEF for
      mastering the album (which was over looked in the liner notes).

      [6] "The Dub Side of the Moon" on Easy Star All Stars records
      It boasts guest appearances from roots/blues stalwart Corey Harris,
      dancehall veteran Frankie Paul, Wailers lead singer Gary "Nesta"
      Pine, Dollarman, revered harmony trio The Meditations, NY pacesetter
      Dr. Israel, legendary toaster Ranking Joe, and others.

      [7] Dead Air Files: A hypothetical portal into entertaining oblivion.
      Watch out for the Clear Light Enforcers who will gobble up your
      critical acumen and spit you out as bubblegum people.

      [8] An unreleased track by Black Sifichi using his Macintosh portable
      computer vox using 'Semuta' - a random sample player/ sound program
      designed by Servovalve. Fascinating and well worth looking into
      especially if an ambient music interface interests you - a free
      download of this software is available at:
      <http://www.servovalve.org/machines/index.html>. We Need More Cops
      will be remixed by several artists during 2007. It is a protest
      against the notion that too much security is just the right amount
      for law-abiding citizens, Zero Tolerance Strategies, Terrorist Stress
      Management, and Nicolas Sarkozy's rise to potentially assume the
      presidency in France.

      [9] "Guerriers Pacifistes" - a compilation curated by Gregsky now out
      on Cristal records <http://www.guerrierspacifistes.net>
      <http://www.soundsaround.net>. This track is the first collaboration
      between Black and Thierry Arnold, director of Sounds Around Records.
      "For so long we've been talking and talking and talking about
      ecological and or... The Kyoto treaties .... Now it's already too
      hot. I hope the Netherlands stays afloat. Don't use a computer to
      listen to the radio (how many electrical watts do we need for just
      sound) - use a 6-volt transistor radio.

      [10] "Strings of Consciousness: A parallel music for perpendicular
      feelings" Musical project headed by Philippe Petit director of the
      label Bip-Hop, an album featuring vocals by Black Sifichi, JG
      Thirwell, The Enablers.... An advance copy for WTM - album out in
      2007. Very complex arrangements, layers, overdubs. Another LP to look
      out for in 2007. You can listen to four tracks at

      [11] "The German Years 1977-1999" on Indigo <www.roofmusic.de>.
      Amazingly talented eccentric who dabbled in many sounds and musics
      but kept coming back to a kind of totally individualistic
      autodidactic kind of ambient classical and jazz complete with quirks,
      through cityscapes and exquisite compositions he discovered the 9th
      upper tone and with it his "cosmic code" which put him direct pursuit
      of the 'world spirit's trail' ... for him and pythagoras 9 was an
      essential number - he died one day short of 9.9.99. There are world
      musicians and composers and then there are those fro the other-world
      - Sun Ra, Captain Beefheart...

      [12] Dope Beats Vol. 2 'Harder They Come' - Black Sifichi reaching
      out into some Poppier ground with Boris Kulenovic (Mei Tei Sho,
      Susheela Raman) and David Sztanke (Mike Ladd, Tahiti Boy) - WEACE's
      <http://www.myspace.com/weaceweace > first track is out on the Peuple
      de L'Herbe's - Supadope Label. The P.D. L'Herbes website is still out
      of date but the compilation is distributed through PIAS. Purchase
      Dope Beats Vol. 2: a good site for independent sales!

      [13] "Danger Global Warming" - art and music project designed to help
      Greenpeace raise funds through the dedication and artistic direction
      of Keir Jens-Smith. We need to continue to alert the public of the
      dangers of Global Warming. This remix by Super Stoned (Norscq &
      Sifichi) and other remixes by : The Micronauts (France), Goldfrapp
      (UK), Funkstörung (Germany), Graham Massey (UK), Meat Beat Manifesto
      (USA), Photek (UK), Peter Lazonby (UK), Mint Royale (UK), Paul Mac
      (Australia), Tipsy (USA), 4 Hero (UK), Alec Empire (Germany), System
      7 (UK), Deadbeat (Canada), Sundealers (Germany), Ryoji Ikeda (Japan),
      DJ Dolores (Brazil), Bungle (Brazil), CJ Bolland (Belgium), Super
      Stoned (France), Andrew WK (USA), Coldcut (UK), Kill Memory Crash
      (USA), Freeform Five (UK), Biosphere (Norway), Trentemøller
      (Denmark), David E. Sugar (UK), Adventure Kid (Sweden), Junkie XL
      (Netherlands), Thomas Dolby (USA), Pressure Drop (UK), Múm (Iceland),
      Yello (Switzerland), The Blacksmoke Organisation (UK) and more?
      <http://www.blacksmoke.org> <http://www.blacksmoke.org/danger>.

      [14] "EAM: Electro Acoustic Meeting" on EAM
      <www.eammusic.ch><info@...>. An amazingly beautiful meeting
      of electro and acoustic that creates an ambience that reminds me of
      the romantic post-Rapahelite kind of folk-rock of 1960s UKŠ but also
      of mid-90s ambient and jazz and amazing landscapes. This could have
      easily been in my Top 2006 had it not been for the fact that I forgot

      [15] Lena (Mathias Delplanque) is one of France's most talented and
      broad-minded electronic musicians; from dub to noise and ambient.
      From the conceptual to the danceable. His newest endeavor is The
      Floating Roots Orchestra featuring artists: MAN (piano & bass), Steve
      Argüelles (drums), Rob Mazurak (trumpet), Charlie O (hammond organ),
      Jerome Paressant (clarinet) and Black Sifichi, the record will also
      feature vocalists Daniel Givens, Julien Jacob, Neil Carli... The
      album is still in the final stages of mixing. Lena and Sifichi also
      perform as AAA-MEN with Charlie O. Their first track will be out soon
      on Sounds Around - Dub Excursion Vol. 2 in April 2007. The Floating
      Roots Orchestra will be touring from July 2007 after a residency in
      Nantes' Olympic. The album is almost certainly going to be one of the
      'best of 2007' . Profoundly rich in composition and production. Note:
      Mathias Delplanque under the pseudonym 'Stencil', Black Sifichi and
      Norscq can be found together on Optical Sounds album 'Next To Nothing
      - A Tribute to Tuxedomoon". Also out soon on Sounds Around - Lena
      "The Uncertain Trail". Where Pole left off, Lena picked up the dust
      and mixes it with gold, vocals and insects. A dub remix of Peryphery
      (Take You There with a Sifichi vocal mix is on this LP). visit Lena's
      website: <http://www.aavvrriill.com>.

      [16] "Automatic Writing" recently re-released on Lovely music. The
      depths of human emotion extracted like a "time stretch" more than 20
      years ago. This cut is More sexual than any phony S&M and it's just a
      finger in a mouth. Robert Ashley a forerunner. His "Automatic
      Writing" resembles a kind of zeitgeist séance with dream-like patches
      of text barely audible wafting in and out.

      [17] "Awan~Siguawini~Spemki on Alsace/Quebec/CEAAC
      <international@...> <www.ceaac.org>. Beautiful production in
      the minimalist-north tradition of Biosphere where the abstract
      electronic compositions and audio speculations seem to mirror or
      comment upon the magnificently sparse topography of the cold north.
      This is a companion to various Touch Records projects and also Hector
      Zazou's excellent compilation "Songs from the Cold Seas". This is the
      audio result of a cross-cultural Alsace/Quebec residency by Pierre
      Belouin in Lac-Saint-Jean in Quebec. The title is native Abinaki for
      'Air / Spring / Paradise'. Using audio denominators from the
      surroundings that consist of house, forest, lake, factory we get an
      expressionistic portrait of the region. The accompanying booklet
      offers some explanation and some photos of the snapshot sort that
      offer a kind of forsaken portrait of the region. There is a journal
      of PB's observations but that is only in French. I don't know if this
      is just tapping into a drift or tendency but psycho-geographic
      ambient is back in a big way and better than ever, and this like many
      others of similar vintage seem to set out to connect man with his/her
      surroundings, trying to create a more spiritual or at least
      conscientious portrait of our surroundings that borders on the
      meditational. Since neither video nor informational media have done
      much to contribute to a paradigm shift in our relation/understanding
      of our environment it is up to the abstract ethnomusicologists,
      sounders, sound walkers and ambient found-sound composers to nudge
      this shift along into being. This audio portrait of a region is
      different than photography and video in that it is undogmatic and
      fluid. The CD and project are related to works by Hildegaard
      Westerkamp, Gabriele Proy, J.L. Drever, Justin Bennett, Peter Cusak,
      Dallas Simpson and many moreŠ sounds from our environment that evoke
      travel or place, weather and interaction. Recommended.

      [18] "Bobbejaan Schoen" on Dureco vinyl, courtesy of Toni Smith.
      Thanks. BS is one of the best yodeling/whistling cowboys in the
      Lowlands or anywhere. He performed a whistling!!! song in the 1957
      Eurovision Song Contest. He is the only yodeler other than Dolly
      Parton with his own theme park, Bobbejaanland.

      Notes on other Patapoe audionauts & nuts:

      o Jonges v/d Vlakte [Boys from the Plains]: "De cottonpickin' Jongens
      Mondays @ PTP

      o Dr. Doo Wop is one of the most eccentric and stimulating radio
      shows anywhere. Sartre, DeSade, Doo Wop and music from the gonads.
      Now on Radio Patapoe on Sunday 17.00-18.00 Amsterdam time

      o Solus: Minimal electro techno acid french hiphop / Thursdays 22.00
      o Super Nova is a big potpourri of sounds influences and information
      both local and elsewhere. Can you picture a sound? On Sundays

      o Wildcat Radio: Anarchist organization presents radio as it should
      be - in your ear. Saturdays 18.00-20.00.

      o De Oktoskoop: Kinderen /kid /children /rugrats and other
      visionaries. Sat. 11.30-13.30

      o POLYPHAKE PLAPPERLAPAPP: "polyphone audioerosion featuring
      occasional beatweirdniks in an plaperlappap assemblage hosted by
      F.Fiasko 22:30-?? Wednesdays

      o Radio Worm: Rotterdam-based radio collective presents inventive
      programming to baffle all preconceptions. Midnight Sundays and in
      autopilot rotation.

      o HET PROGRAMMA: industrial lounge for collapsing people. Tuesdays 21:00

      * Wreck This Mess-Paris @ Radio Libertaire, Paris 89.4 hosted by
      Laurent Diouf 1/2 PanouPanou on Tuesdays 12:30-14:30 check
      * Black Sifichi / Audiometric radio check <http://www.blacksifichi.com>

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Dina Appeldoornstraat 11-3
      1076 AX Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      o Check out NEW excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete
      on Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/>