Wrecking Metallic Meditations

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2007

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: 358 [955*]: Metallic Meditations

      PTP in the ether: 88.3FM
      Where purity & puerility are synonymous
      streaming via internet:
      <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>

      22 January 2007 // 17.00-19.00

      "Meditation brings wisdom; lack of mediation leaves ignorance. Know
      well what leads you forward and what hold you back, and choose the
      path that leads to wisdom."

      o Buddha

      "Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put
      water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it
      becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
      Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend."

      o Bruce Lee

      Wreck Up Version > Prince Jammy & the Agrgrovators [1a]
      Intro 'Free' > Tackhead [1]
      Mind at the End of Its Tether > Tackhead [1]
      What's My Mission Now? > Tackhead [1]
      Mad Truth > Mark Stewart [2]
      Momenti > Luciano Berio [3]
      Piece Electronique nr 3 > Gyorgy Ligeti [4]
      Ghost > Tackhead + Andy Fairley [1]
      Mind at the End of Its Tether part 2 > Tackhead [1]
      1/2 Cut for Confidence > Tackhead [1]
      Ticking Time Bomb > Tackhead [1]
      The Simple Way > Solomonoff & Von Hoffmannstahl [5]
      Praxis > Dimitri Voudrouris [6]
      + Red Roses for a Blue Lady > Al Martino [6a]
      + Mantra > Karlheinz Stockhausen [7]
      + America the Brutiful > Roberto Valenza [8]
      + Yoga Positions > Richard Hittelman [9]
      Perspective > Tribourg [10]
      + Soberheid > Martin Bril [11]
      Sonntag > Alex Hacke [12]
      The Wave Flow Remix > Tribourg [10]
      + Fietspaden > Bert Wagendorp [11]
      Phoenix Riddim > Kid 606 [12]
      The Roll > Tribourg [10]
      Rentrer > E.A.M. [13]
      The Bed > Lou Reed [14]
      Living in the Northern Hemisphere > K-Space [15]
      True Romance at the World's Fair > Algebra Suicide [16]
      The Simple Way > Solomonoff & Von Hoffmannstahl [5]
      Zoals de Wind Waait > Nachtzuster [17]

      ~~~
      "We could say that meditation doesn't have a reason or doesn't have a
      purpose. In this respect it's unlike almost all other things we do
      except perhaps making music and dancing. When we make music we don't
      do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the
      composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the
      fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are
      not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a
      journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we
      play music the playing itself is the point. And exactly the same
      thing is true in meditation. Meditation is the discovery that the
      point of life is always arrived at in the immediate moment."

      * Alan Watts
      ~~~

      [1] "Tackhead Sound Crash: Slash & Mix Adrian Sherwood" on On-U.
      Excellent re-starter kit of Tackhead 'hits' via the mixmaster himself
      AS. Recently in Amsterdam and whom I had to painfully say 'no' to
      because my sched [deadlines, daughter birthday, etc.] had rendered my
      body begging for a respite. This CD DJ mix gives us a nice overview
      of the pioneering terrorizing sound of Tackhead that continues to
      sound aggressive, complex, demanding.

      [2] "Word Dub Manifesto" <hhtp://spokendub.free.fr>
      <http://bangarang.free.fr> <www.jarringeffects.org>> I used to review
      spoken word cds for the American Book Review, 4 issues, an
      accomplishment, until I reviewed the great Roberto Valenza a kinetic
      American Hispanic poet. My review was highly favorable and they
      decided his work was not worthy of review. I quit. The guy is great.
      One of the conundrums is when do you listen to spoken word on CD?
      Basically when you are stuck in traffic, on a subway, bus, jogging.
      But, at the time I had a hard time positioning it in our contemporary
      listening habits. I work freelance at home with cordless headphones
      on. This allows me to do my grunt jobs while I listen to the
      incredible material I receive. One thing I don't listen to when I am
      editing or translating or writing is text based material. In general.
      IN 2005 Brain Damage produced an excellent dub cd which included
      certain post-Ken-Nordine and Kenneth Patchen-esque vocals by friend
      and eternal comrade Black Sifichi [excellent author, photographer,
      DJ, vocalist] reading parts of our co-written scurrilous short story
      WET DREAMS OF THE POPE, which is included in its entirety in my short
      story collection WIGGLING WISHBONE: STORIES OF PATA-SEXUAL
      SPECULATION [Autonomedia 1995]. The Bangarang people including Brain
      Damage liked the text so much that they developed this project that
      is pretty much filling a huge gaping gap - spoken word with modern
      music backing. LKJ aside and some punk poesie courtesy of Lydia Lunch
      and Kathy Acker and some great productions by Hal Willner aside,
      spoken word on record has been pretty tame, lame and derivative. Even
      the rap poesie tends toward well, cliches and certain rote styles of
      enunciation and instrumental backing that led to the familiar jazz
      poesie stylings that have never been overcome until NOW. True, I
      exaggerate. But in part it is true. Most spoken word makes the music
      mere secondary non-essential consideration or at best a kind of jazz
      framed styling. UNTIL NOW. This is kick-ass backing trax backing
      amazing vocals and texts by some amazing people.

      [3] "Acousmatrix: History of Electronic Music VII: Berio - Maderna"
      on BV Haast <www.bvhaast.nl>. Luciano Berio and Bruno Maderna + Cathy
      Berberian [Berio's wife] adds up to an inspired retro-gaze into
      inspired electro-acousmatic and vocal interpretations of Joyce's
      "Ulysses". Hardly an easy task. Berberian also is rumored to employ
      yodel-like vocalizations. Recommended!

      [4] "His Master's Noise: The Institute of Sonology" on BV Haast
      <www.bvhaast.nl>. Highly recommended retro-glimpse at neglected
      pioneers of progressive conceptual electronica. Ligeti, Xenakis,
      Koenig, Tazelaar, VareseŠ

      [5] "The Simple Way" on SVH <ontheqt@...>. New material from
      the Baader-Meinhof couple of the no-wave set ca. 1980s NY. The sonny
      & Cher of conceptual activist noise. Lounge music for the
      hard-of-hearing Mad Max set. Their sound was able to detect a
      spiritual toupee at 100 feet. Most haircut hipsters drew the line at
      S&VH. They made Throbbing Gristle sound like an Archies side band
      project. Now making the Albany area a more conscientious place to
      live. I remember there was an early ABC No Rio period when the roof
      leaked and there was a bucket catching a steady stream of fat water
      droplets creating a unique organic beat. It was a time when I often
      shared a stage with S&VH. It was during the heyday pre-Slam poetry
      and early no-wave noise. And somehow it was part of a long arc of
      overcoming a paralyzing level of shyness. The noise and chaos and
      various inebriants certainly helped me become a spotty sometime
      [seldom] inspired reader of my own work. Everyone on the bill
      scrambled to perform before S&VH because no one would be left
      standing. I thought my work in its own quiet way complimented their
      work although looking back at those poems I must have sounded more
      like Henry Gibson [corny poet of Laugh-In fame] than anything
      Futurist. Obscurity is usually the reward when you are TOO much ahead
      of your time. This is because you [S&VH] were willingly misunderstood
      and easily resented for pushing the envelope way beyond the ken and
      daring of most vaguely pompous avant gardists operating at that time.

      [6] "NPFA1.1/Palmos" on Pogus <www.pogus.com>. Interesting CD from
      South African / Greek composer. From liner notes: "He composes for
      acoustic instruments, electronic sound sources, multimedia, including
      dance and theatre. He bases his technical and theoretical
      compositional approach in research of cognitive psycho-acoustic
      behavioral patterns in humans and the behavior of sound in
      relationship to continued environmental changes. His socio-cultural
      interests have led him to research the survival of music in the 21st
      century and the impact that media and technology have on the
      composerŠ PRAXIS is a four-channel tape piece using a recording of
      Christian Orthodox Greek male choir and computer assisted processing.
      566 sound compartments were created that ranged from 10 to 40 seconds
      in time duration. Each sound compartment was constructed and
      manipulated individually, allowing for better control in maintaining
      individuality in the sound structures. The computer further allowed
      for the individual micro-rearrangement of pitches in each sound
      compartment, leading to the notion of continuous macro-timbre. The
      methods used allowed for greater control in spacial differentiation
      of each sound. The distorted nature of the sound source was not
      eliminated but was build into the composition."

      [6a] The playability of these songs probably has something to do with
      my father and how at times he would play the radio loudly and sing
      along with songs like this. When I hear a song like this it
      immediately brings back images of Upstate NY in a split level, my
      father repairing something that is broken. Until, of course, my
      mother complains about the "noise".

      [7] "Mantra" on Deutsche Grammophon vinyl 1971. With KS doing sound
      conducting and Alfons and Aloys Kontarsky on piano. "The work in its
      entirety arises from a 13-note sound-formula, the 'mantra'Š.
      Naturally, the unified construction of MANTRA is a musical miniature
      of the unified macro-structure of the cosmos, just as it is a
      magnification into the acoustic time-field of the unified
      micro-structure of the harmonic variations in notes themselves." KH

      [8] "The Natural Mind" by RV with Jana Szabo on various instruments.
      RV is the natural next generation extrapolation of the beatniks and a
      bridge between their romantic cultural resistance and the new
      escalations of frustration and aggression of the non-stand-up-comedy
      navel-gazing aspects of the slam Poetry scene [severely overrated in
      general, with of course enough exceptions]. Is this piece his 'Howl'?

      [9] "Yoga for Health" on Yoga for Health vinyl. "Relive tension,
      nervousness and insomnia."

      [10] "Triborg" on Black Note <www.blacknotemusic.com>. Between
      meditation, speculation, trance and paranoia.

      [11] "Twaalf Columns voor een Beter 2007" on de Volkskrant
      <www.volkskrant.nl/nieuwjaar2007>. Came free [with a tip for] the
      newspaper delivery boy. Some interesting [in Dutch] pieces
      spoken/written by various columnists.

      [12] "The Wire Tapper 13" on Wire. Esoteric and eccentric on the edge
      of obscure with a patina of elitism. But no less interesting.

      [13] "EAM: Electronic-Acoustic-Meeting on eam <info@...>
      <www.eammusic.ch>. Lauterburg, one of the most interesting yodelers
      alive, combines with this electronica combo to create some nice
      yodel-onica fusion.

      [14] "Berlin" on RCA vinyl 1973. One of the most incredible records
      of its time in that it defied all fame and LR produced a sustained
      tone poem and poetic text that dealt with depression, drug abuse and
      deterioration of the soul via a geographical metaphor - cold and
      empty and distant Alaska.

      [15] "Musicworks 96" <www.musicworks.ca>. Always welcome compilations
      of experimental sound and noise work from Canada includes insightful
      articles in accompanying magazine. Includes the Canadian-India fusion
      of Autorickshaw, Paul Dolden, mystical animism meets rap-chant with
      K-Space and the digital soundscapes of Kristi Allik & Robert Mulder.

      [16] "True Romance" on Buzzerama, 1982 single. First romantic-punk
      poetry from THE next generation performance poetry duo Algebra
      Suicide, Chicago's answer to Lydia Lunch and patti Smith/Lenny Kaye.
      this started a long-term fandom for the words of Lydia Tomkiw [a
      consummate poetess] and the fine lean musicianship of Don Hedeker
      [Polkaholics].

      [17] "Oude Zeer" on Accordeonlied <accordeonlied@...>.
      Nachtzuster do some gypsy music covers, some Brecht covers, some Tom
      Waits and some original songs written by accordionist, Toni Smith.
      Excellent brown cafe music celebrating late winter woe-is-me depths
      that you are about to climb out of. Hester Hofman's vocals sound
      like post-apocalyptic Brechtian vocals sung from a bunker or in a
      manhole under a road going nowhere. Highly recommended.

      ~~~
      "My sole literary ambition is to write one good novel, then retire to
      my hut in the desert, assume the lotus position, compose my mind and
      senses, and sink into meditation, contemplating my novelŠ"

      Edward Abbey

      ~~~

      o I will be going - no doubt about it - to the 'Voices Amsterdam'
      festival on friday 2 March 20.30 at the Bimhuis (reservations +31
      (0)20 788 2158) <www.bimhuis.nl> on the Ij near Amsterdam's Central
      Station. I hope to see some of you there as wellŠ

      Participants include 3 of my fave avant conceptual vocalists: Jaap
      Blonk, Shelley Hirsch, Phil Minton. Also performing: Theo Bleckmann,
      Paul Dutton, Jodi Gilbert, Catherine Jauniaux, Jannie Pranger, with
      Sophie Agnel-piano, Robert van Heumen-elektronica, John
      Hollenbeck-drums, percussion, Wilbert de Joode-bass, Tomoko
      Mukaiyama-piano.

      The two day VOICES AMSTERDAM is a tribute to all vocalists that
      managed to secure a place on the international music stages, away
      from the established styles. A large number of prominent musicians
      meet in a series of short performances, in various settings, from a
      couple of minutes to a full set. Some parts of the program are
      planned (among which the world premieres of Anne la Berge, Alison
      Isadora, Michael Moore and Huib Emmer), other parts will be created
      on the spot.

      [WTM on 26.02.07 will be dedicated to work by some of the performers.]

      o Jonges v/d Vlakte [Boys from the Plains]: "De cottonpickin' Jongens
      Mondays @ PTP

      o Dr. Doo Wop is one of the most eccentric and stimulating radio
      shows anywhere. Sartre, DeSade, Doo Wop and music from the gonads.
      Now on Radio Patapoe on Sunday 17.00-18.00 Amsterdam time

      o Solus: Minimal electro techno acid french hiphop / Thursdays 22.00
      o Super Nova is a big potpourri of sounds influences and information
      both local and elsewhere. Can you picture a sound? On Sundays
      18.00-20.00.

      o Wildcat Radio: Anarchist organization presents radio as it should
      be - in your ear. Saturdays 18.00-20.00.

      o De Oktoskoop: Kinderen /kid /children /rugrats and other
      visionaries. Sat. 11.30-13.30

      o POLYPHAKE PLAPPERLAPAPP: "polyphone audioerosion featuring
      occasional beatweirdniks in an plaperlappap assemblage hosted by
      F.Fiasko 22:30-?? Wednesdays

      o Radio Worm: Rotterdam-based radio collective presents inventive
      programming to baffle all preconceptions. Midnight Sundays and in
      autopilot rotation.

      o HET PROGRAMMA: industrial lounge for collapsing people. Tuesdays 21:00

      ~~~~

      * Wreck This Mess-Paris @ Radio Libertaire, Paris 89.4 hosted by
      Laurent Diouf 1/2 PanouPanou on Tuesdays 12:30-14:30 check
      <http://www.wtm-paris.com>
      * Black Sifichi / Audiometric radio check <http://www.blacksifichi.com>

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Dina Appeldoornstraat 11-3
      1076 AX Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 2500± READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK
      o Check out NEW excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete
      on Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/>