Wrecking Warped & Woofed Gypsies

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2007

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: 351 [948*]: Warped & Woofed Gypsies

      PTP in the ether: 88.3FM
      Where purity & puerility are synonymous
      streaming via internet:
      <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>

      "Gypsy music is conquering an increasingly wider public, and a great
      many young people are discovering the freshness, authenticity and
      sheer excitement of the sound [and] leading Balkan Gypsy bands such
      as Taraf de Haïdouks, Kocani Orkester & newcomers Mahala Rai Banda"
      o Liner notes, Electric Gypsyland

      "Though the Wodaabe and Tuareg are very different people, they are
      both nomadic. They share the beauty of their environment as well as
      the many difficulties they have to face in the modern-day world:
      droughts, famine, poverty and the loss of animals. This shared
      experience is one of the reasons why Etran Finatawa [stars of
      tradition] came together to make musicŠ"
      o Liner notes, Desert Crossroads

      "The inspiration for Shukar's music comes from many years ago, when
      the Tatars and Mongolians invaded Dacia (Romania's ancestral name).
      Shukar's vintage, original sound is called ursari music [bear tamer
      music] - a few men sing, shout, and play percussive instruments while
      a bear dances around themŠ
      o Liner notes, Urban Gypsy

      Warped Cry Baby, Cry > Van & Titus [1]
      New Leaf > Shelley Hirsch vs Insect Lab [2]
      Moon, Turn the Tides > Jimi Hendrix & His Band of Gypsies [3]
      Cind Eram la 48 > Juryman vs Taraf de Haïdouks [4]
      Gypsy Eyes > Jimi Hendrix & His Band of Gypsies [3]
      Maleele > Etran Finatawa [5]
      Fantasia for Clarinet > Modern quartet vs Kocani Orkester [4]
      Csak Egy Szep Lany van a Vilagon > Traveling Guitars [6]
      Siki Siki Baba > Mercan Dede vs Kocani Orkester [4]
      Maggae Hamfor > Jozef van Wissem [7]
      Ballade des Femmes de Paris [F. Villon] > Les Poemiens [8]
      Katherine Bairdie > Jozef van Wissem [7]
      Untitled > Jozef van Wissem [7]
      Le Bal des Pendus [Rimbaud] > Les Poemiens [8]
      Corne Yards > Jozef van Wissem [7]
      Whip my Toudie > Jozef van Wissem [7]
      Hungaria > Andre Ekyan et son Orchestre [9]
      When Day is Done > Quintette du Hot Club de France [9]
      Je suis un Voyou > Georges Brassens [10]
      A Port > Jozef van Wissem [7]
      The Wind > Shukar Collective [11]
      Dumbala Dumba > DJ Dolores vs Taraf de Haïdouks [4]
      Don't Worry 'Bout Me > Django Reinhardt [12]
      Anadjibo > Etran Finatawa [5]
      Mama Don't Allow > Secco's Gitanos [9]
      Daphné > Gus Viseur's Music [9]
      Big Joe & Phantom 309 > Tom Waits [13]
      L'Orient est Roots > Bigga Bush vs Kocani Orkester [4]
      Gipsy Blooz > Shukar Collective [11]
      Surbajo > Etran Finatawa [5]
      Mugur Mugurel > Arto Lindsay vs Melvin Gibbs vs Taraf de Haïdouks [4]
      Aliss > Etran Finatawa [5]
      Usti, Usti Baba > Senor Coconut vs Kocani Orkester [4]
      Gitan Swing > Tony Murena et son Ensemble Swing [9]
      ~~~~~~~~
      [1] "Cry Baby, Cry" Elf 45rpm. Crap single placed askew on turntable
      with effects and slow down to 28 rpm - almost listenable.

      [2] "New Leaf" demo CD. dennis delzotto <delzotto@...>
      Shelley Hirsch turns to some electronica like so many other avant
      gardists recently and comes up with her hands full. Trance ambient
      electronix compliment her ad-libbed avant scattismic incantations
      [with some yodel forays!] As you must know I am one of the world's
      biggest fansŠ the Jews were wanderers.

      [3] "Electric Ladyland" on Reprise vinyl <news@...>. Few
      records stand the test of time. This is one of them. I think it was
      the combination of pop craft and the need to be expansively
      experimental and improvisational that gives this its breadth and
      depth. The psychedelic aspects don't hurt because they are not just
      pinned on here, they serve as one of the themes and exploratory
      devices.

      [4] "Electric Gypsyland" on Crammed / 6 Degrees
      <www.sixdegreesrecords.com>. Cool bridge between renovated folk Gypsy
      and massive electronics. One of my top for 2006.

      [5] "Desert Crossroads: Tuareg & Wodaabe Nomads Unite" on Rough Guide
      <www.worldmusic.net>.

      [6] "Traveling Guitars" on Request vinyl by Larry and Lenore. Liner
      notes: "The exact origins of the guitar are unknownŠ It was brought
      to Spain by the Moors in the 14th centuryŠ"

      [7] "A Rose by Any Other Name: Anonymous Lute Solos of the Golden
      Age" " on BVHaast <www.bvhaast.nl>. The Western lute descends from
      the Arab ud. Despite being difficult and awkward to hold and tune,
      troubadours [both poor and the richer noble type] wandered the
      medieval countrysides of middle Europe serenading people and the
      nobility with their songs and poems. This record is no throwback. It
      may evoke times of yore but it also sounds amazingly contemporary.
      Sparkling production. In my top of 2006.

      [8] "Les Poemiens" on Disques Mouloudji vinyl. Villon was a French
      troubadour and somewhat of a proto-punk-poet as wellŠ the poetry of
      Rimbaud was already a huge influence on my life. After e.e.cummings,
      Guthrie, Dylan and Leonard Cohen while in high school I progressed to
      Rimbaud but was more influenced by weird facts like that he just left
      his repressive home village of Charlesville [N. France on the edge of
      the Ardennes] to WALK to Paris to taste of the bohemian life there -
      there he and Verlaine would listen to other poets and make fun of
      them! But that walk - 240km!

      [9] "Jazz a la Gitane" on Saga <www.sagajazz.com>. Warm timeless
      jaunty jazz. The people second only to the jews that people love to
      hate. They beg, they steal, they play and play and make the joint hop
      more than any other ethnic group short of blacks playing jazz. They
      are the jewish blacks of the world. The wandering global sounds of
      gypsies plus jazz happened in the body and soul of Django Reinhardt.
      [10] "Par Excellence!" on Philips vinyl. 'Voyou' is a hoodlum, bandit, scumŠ

      [11] "Urban Gypsy" on Riverboat <www.worldmusic.net>. Trance techno
      DJing with real gypsy vocals. What a mind-blow this is. Interesting
      because of the nervous tension between the affected and the natural,
      the beats versus the grungy arhythmic, the bluesy voices of lives led
      head-on with sly smooth flawless beats. Incredibly interesting fusion
      of Mongolian/Tatar influenced Romanian "bear tamer" music. There is
      some singing, some body else shouting, some percussion, arhythmic
      rapping and resembles rambunctious toasting, taunting, aggressive,
      percussive, urban yet rural here remixed and dance-ified by Lucian
      Stan [DJ Vasile] who set up a priate radio station in post-dictator
      Romania in 1999.

      [12] "Dance Hall Days" on Point. Jean Baptiste "Django" Reinhardt
      (23.01.1910 - 16.05.1953) was a Belgian Sinti jazz guitarist. He died
      a year before I was born and created a unique and sophisticated
      pan-European style of jazz. He remains one of the key figures of
      jazz and of guitar playing despite being almost illiterate and unable
      to read music. He lived and learned music during his youth spent in
      Basque gypsy encampments outside Paris. He learned banjo, guitar and
      violin as a kid and played professionally at Parisian Bal-musette
      halls in. First recordings late-1920s. He had first- and
      second-degree burns over half his body. His right leg was paralyzed
      and left hand badly injured which restricted his playing to 2 fingers
      on that hand. Requiring him to reinvent his style - in part, possibly
      one aspect of why he sounds so unique. In a band with his brother
      Joseph, Django pretty much invented the idea of lead guitar. During
      WWII he flees for the UK and survives unlike many of his fellow
      gypsies. They were exterminated [500,000] and persecuted and their
      music and jazz were banned by the Nazis. The only known memorial to
      the gypsies and their plight during WWII is located in the
      Museumplein behind the Van Gogh Musem in Amsterdam. A Luftwaffe
      officer and jazz fan Dietrich Schulz-Kühn, also known as "Doktor
      Jazz", helped him survive upon his return to Europe for the duration
      of the war. After some post-war success in Paris Django returned to
      gypsy life, finding it hard to adjust to modern life. He toured and
      performed only sporadically - being a moody performer who would skip
      out and walk the beach or smell the dew in the countryside rather
      than perform [predating the unpredictable Sly Stone and Jeff Beck
      (who was influenced by Django) by some 15 years] - until his death of
      a brain hemorrhage in 1953. If we had had a boy his name would have
      been Django.

      [13] "Nighthawks at the Diner" On whatever. I remember exactly where
      I was the night I first heard Tom Waits. I was just beginning my
      'career' as a cabbie and I was at Hank M.'s, fellow poet's house in
      Plymouth, Michigan. Where he unveiled the album for me and my girl
      friend. We listened to the entire 4 sides while sitting in Hank's
      living room drinking beer. After that I fancied myself a character in
      a Waits song, even wrote my own version of "Step right Up" after
      having been picked up by a Kirby Vacuum cleaner salesman who for
      hours told me all about the wonderful features of the Kirby. My
      partner Nina sold Electrolux [the main upscale competitor of Kirby].
      I went to see Waits perform [and speak for us as misunderstood
      minority - cabbies] in the Michigan Theatre with a gang of other
      cabbies in 1977[?]. Waits seemed to speak to me, nocturnal lifestyle,
      fuckin' around, being a drifter writer, dreamer, a post-Kerouacian
      who wrote lyrics that hitchhikers and nocturnal workers could relate
      to, a hobo's walking through an Edward Hopper painting.

      I had some predilection to sympathize with Gypsies for many reasons:
      reading, oppression, wandering, homeless, their tenacious survival
      instinct, their mysterious ability to convert tragedy into music. But
      it wasn't until I think 1990 when I was staying in the south of
      France for weeks by myself to write and work as a lumber tree trimmer
      [heavy work that verged on the meditational]. I would start work at
      6.30 walking down a rural path through fields and forest to the
      lumber tree forest and there work 6 hours until 1pm. I would walk
      back, take a hot bath, eat lunch and then write from 2.30 until late
      at night. After a month of this routine I started to take days off
      from writing to wander the area and would end up at the local water
      hole, a huge reservoir that attracted locals to the water sports and
      lying around in the sun. One evening I was there late - dreaming,
      wandering, thinking, doing nothing - when I met some locals in their
      late teens to late 20s. Very nice crew, shared enthusiasms for music
      [Mano Negra, Les Negresses Vertes] and they generously shared their
      beer and wine with me as the beautiful local gals shook their heads
      as a local friend and gypsy kid played guitar and sang humorous songs
      in English and French. This is one of the many magical moments of
      that 7 weeks spent by myself but it is one that is so lovingly etched
      into my memory that nothing can dislodge it, taint it, ruin itŠ My
      only other human contact was the property caretaker, Albert, a great
      guy of few words and ruddy cheeks who worked hard in the nature and
      ate lunch in the grass, opening a big basket with local bread,
      cheese, an apple, sausage and a bottle of locally tapped wine. My
      only other human contact was my weekly descent to the village of
      Mazamet super market [mamout?] and there I would get my groceries and
      I would stare at all the people shopping like the mountain man I
      could easily become.

      * [includes WTM & pre-WTM playlists from WFMU, Radio Libertaire,
      Radio Patapoe and Radio 100]

      Notes on other Patapoe audionauts & nuts:
      o Jonges v/d Vlakte [Boys from the Plains]: "De cottonpickin' Jongens
      Mondays @ PTP

      o Dr. Doo Wop is one of the most eccentric and stimulating radio
      shows anywhere. Sartre, DeSade, Doo Wop and music from the gonads.
      Now on Radio Patapoe on Sunday 17.00-18.00 Amsterdam time

      o Solus: Minimal electro techno acid french hiphop / Thursdays 22.00
      o Super Nova is a big potpourri of sounds influences and information
      both local and elsewhere. Can you picture a sound? On Sundays
      18.00-20.00.

      o Wildcat Radio: Anarchist organization presents radio as it should
      be - in your ear. Saturdays 18.00-20.00.

      o De Oktoskoop: Kinderen/kid/children/rugrats and other visionaries.
      Sat. 11.30-13.30

      o POLYPHAKE PLAPPERLAPAPP: "polyphone audioerosion featuring
      occasional beatweirdniks in an plaperlappap assemblage hosted by
      F.Fiasko 22:30-?? Wednesdays

      o Radio Worm: Rotterdam-based radio collective presents inventive
      programming to baffle all preconceptions. Midnight Sundays and in
      autopilot rotation.

      o HET PROGRAMMA: industrial lounge for collapsing people. Tuesdays 21:00

      ~~~~

      * Wreck This Mess-Paris @ Radio Libertaire, Paris 89.4 hosted by
      Laurent Diouf 1/2 PanouPanou on Tuesdays 12:30-14:30 check
      <http://www.wtm-paris.com>
      * Black Sifichi / Audiometric radio check <http://www.blacksifichi.com>

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Dina Appeldoornstraat 11-3
      1076 AX Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 2500± READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK
      o Check out NEW excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete
      on Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/>