WRECK: Amiss with the Swiss

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2007

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: 350 [947*]: There's Nothing
      Amiss with the Swiss cept the Way They Kiss

      PTP in the ether: 88.3FM
      Where purity & puerility are synonymous
      streaming via internet:
      <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>

      Switzerland is simply a large, lumpy, solid rock with a thin skin of
      grass stretched over it.
      o Mark Twain

      Switzerland, on a high mountain, not far from Lucerne, there is a
      lake they call Pilate's Pond, which the Devil has fixed upon as one
      of the chief residences of his evil spirits
      o Martin Luther
      .
      ìIn Switzerland they had brotherly love, five hundred years of
      democracy and peace, and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock!
      o Simone Weil AND Orson Welles

      The first time I passed through the country (Switzerland) I had the
      impression it was swept down with a broom from one end to the other
      every morning by housewives who dumped all the dirt in Italy.
      o Ernesto S'bato

      Switzerland is a small, steep country, much more up and down than
      sideways, and is all stuck over with large brown hotels built on the
      cuckoo style of architecture.
      o Ernest Hemingway

      Morgeluft > Cyril Schlaepfer [1]
      Wreck Up Version > Prince Jammy & the Agrgrovators [1a]
      Herz > Doppelbock [2]
      What Shakes > Sainkho Namchylak & Ned Rothenberg [3]
      Tyz / Summertag / Ledoj Express > Christine Lauterburg [4]
      Le Sirena > Demetrios Stratos & Lucien Fabbri [5]
      Echo-Jodel > Peter Hinnen [6]
      Long Way Home > Sainkho [3]
      Ledoj Express > Christine Lauterburg [4]
      Bettag > Christine Lauterburg [4]
      Swiss Maiden's Dance > Edelweiss Stars [7]
      Planalp > Christine Lauterburg [4]
      Sylvesterchlaus 2 > Buel-Bänkli Schuppel [8]
      Yokomata '06 > Christine Lauterburg [4]
      Bergli im Treub > Doppelbock [2]
      Quatember > Sait'n'Sang [9]
      Geissbuebeliedli > Sonja Aebi [10]
      Annegreth / Pfaffewalzer > Doppelbock [2]
      Piraten > Gilbert Paeffgen Plus [9]
      Alpstein [exc] > Christine Lauterburg [4]
      Guggisberlied > Heimatflimmern [9]
      D'r Münsterbärgler Natuurjodel > Jodlergruppe Swissair [11]
      Rentrer > EAM [12]
      One More Tequila > Pascal Schaer Quartet [13]
      Oberbärgler und Stümpeli > Nadja Räss [14]
      Wänns Winteret > Doppelbock [13]
      Schäpfer Jodel > Älpler-Jodlergruppe Zihlmann [15]
      Musflueh-Juitz > Jodlerklub Wisenberg [16]
      Information Channel EAM [12]
      Ciumbararillalla > Christina Zurbrügg [13]
      Piano Song > Planzplätz [17]
      Z'Stückish > Erika Stucky [12]
      Woschnuhi > Stimmhorn & Kold Electronics [12]

      * [includes WTM & pre-WTM playlists from WFMU, Radio Libertaire,
      Radio Patapoe and Radio 100]

      [1] "Morgeluft" on CSR <www.csr-records.ch> is another in this series
      of incredibly enchanting soundscape CDs which are intoxicatingly
      representative sonic portraits of certain aspects of Swiss [vanshing]
      culture. "True Tone" volumes 1-5 including: ['s Glüüt vols. 1-2], [
      's Fahr Glüüt], [Les Sonailles] [CD 91522, 91532, 91482, 91492] is a
      series of ambient recordings of, yes, the pastoral / past-aural Swiss
      scenery.

      [2] "Obio" on Narrenschiff <www.narrenschiff-label.ch>. Exquisite
      tightrope walk between traditional and modern renovating music in
      Switzerland. With Lauterberg on vocals/yodels. Saw them in Brugg,
      Switz. In early November. I am constantly amazed at the pervasive
      musicianship in Switzerland at the quality of it and that there are
      so many [free] performances. Switzerland is jammin'.

      [3] Amazing Tuvan avant gardist who works with traditional material
      to make it at once her own and everyone's.

      [4] "Alles Bleibt Anders" on Dewil Music <www.dewilmusic.ch>. One of
      my tops for 2006.

      [5] Amazingly avant and retro singer who verges into yodeling,
      histrionics, vocal tectonics, and falsetto like no man before him and
      that goes for Freddy Mercury, Tiny Tim or Klaus Nomi. Some very
      interesting cross-cultural forays into throat-singing, other-worldly
      scat all set in a 70s prog rock setting. Courtesy of Giorgia and
      Massimo.

      [6] Probably one of my/the mysteries or tragedies of pop music. One
      of the biggest stars in the pop music scene in Switzerland and I
      think Germany in the 60s he all but withdrew and became a male nurse
      only to return half-heartedly some 30 years later. One of the most
      gifted of the speed and pyrotechnic yodelers.

      [7] The Edelweiss Stars were a Swiss-American group of hell-raisers
      in the 50s and 60s, who poured on the neo-trad good time music in
      America's Midwest where traditions were preserved in a way that
      suited the people there best.

      [8] " Um Alte Silveschter z'Urnaäsch" on CSR
      <http://www.csr-records.ch>. These field recordings by Cyrill
      Schäpler record the strange Appenzeller pagan holiday in January when
      men dress as strange evil or good spirits. The masks remind you of
      something from the Middle Ages or mid-Africa. Incredibly haunting
      material.

      [9] "Alpentöne 05" on Muysques Suisses <www.musiques-suisses.ch>.
      Highlights froma festival theat captures the ongoing tempest in a
      schnapps glass in Switzerland. But some fury does fly between the
      various camps: the traditionalists, the neo-trads, the official trads
      of the National Jodel organisation, the pop purveyors, the avant
      gardists who abuse/misuse/reuse [take your pick]traditional sounds,
      themes, instruments, vocals. It's a robust but oft cantankerous row
      between someone guarding the old guard and someone who has blasted
      away some more of prized and treasured tradition [that is all cooked
      up in a simulacrum for consumption by tourists anyway]. But tradition
      lives most in those who are busy doing something with it as the
      musicians in this festival show. Liner notes: "Sait'Sang plays with
      bass notes and the voice in combination with theatrical expression,
      humour and sensuality. Howling strings meet bubbling voices."

      [10] "Dur z'Seeland Uf!" on Philips vinyl. Yodeling and all the other
      stuff done in a polite manner for the consumption of tourists who
      spent a week in Switzerland and a need a jolt of that old
      jägermeister, edelweiss, and jodeling.

      [11] "Schweizer Heimatabend" on Tell Records vinyl.

      [12] "EAM: Electro Acoustic Meeting" on EAM
      <www.eammusic.ch><info@...>. An amazingly beautiful meeting
      of electro and acoustic that creates an ambience that reminds me of
      the romantic post-Rapahelite kind of folk-rock of 1960s UKŠ but also
      of mid-90s ambient and jazz and amazing landscapes. This could have
      easily been in my Top 2006 had it not been for the fact that I forgot
      it.

      [13] "Alpine Music: Made in Switzerland" on Suisa. Compiled by one of
      the most knowledgeable of contemporary music, Urban Frye
      <frye@...>. A vast broad array of sounds that ultimately
      does have a very "Swiss" sound. Something for everyone and some
      things that everyone will hate. I love Stimmhorn but wonder what
      happened on their collaboration with Kold Electronics. I love odd
      meetings of disparate musical strategies but this one did not click.
      Also includes the inimitable Erika Stucky, Doppelbock and the fresh
      new [to me] voice of Nadja Räss.

      [14] "Stimmreise.ch" on Tell Music <www.tellmusic.ch>. Räss is
      another one of 'my' recent discoveries. Not by me but for me. An
      amazingly clear-voiced yodeling researcher, teacher, composer and
      preserver of traditions in a way that you can get around. She doesn't
      put the sons in some scratched and dusty glass museum case. No, she
      pulls them out, hangs them on a line and lets the yodel songs flutter
      and shimmer in the breeze.

      [15] "Alpler-Jodlergruppe Zihlmann: De Schratteschäfer" on CSR.
      Amazingly interesting yodels from more than 40 years ago that have
      been revived by Cyrill Schlaepfer. The group is comprised of young
      and old and family members and friends and can only be described as
      the real thing, somewhat outside the rarefied/sterile realm of
      official traditional yodeling as espoused by the National Jodeler
      Organisation. They are as I claim something equivalent to the Carter
      Family and would be something Allan Lomax would have salivated over
      for days.

      [16] "Mey Freyd" on Phonoplay <phono-vertrieb@...>
      <www.phono-schop.ch>. Another group considered by many to cut through
      all the contrivance and hoopla of the regenerated real and actual to
      just plainly sing and yodel for REAL. Featured in a recent film,
      these farming yodelers have voices that cut through all the built up
      fat and cholesterol around a heart too readily coddled. Shake it up.

      ------>

      There is no country more enhanced and encumbered by the myths and
      misunderstandings that people hold on to with all their touristic
      might. Cuckoo clocks, for instance, altho famous for their watches
      they ARE NOT known for their cuckoo clocks - not like Bavaria, for
      instance - but that does not stop me from searching for one and
      finding one and along the way having everyone there tell me it is NOT
      really a Swiss thingŠ And yet, we continue to follow a manufactured
      image of this nation. I guess the Netherlands also profits [and loses
      some of its depth and identity] by latching itself to romantic images
      that tourists want to see and hear - wooden shoes, Van Gogh,
      coffeeshopsŠ We give the tourists what they want, profit from it but
      feel somewhat emptier afterward - like a discount warehouse cleared
      to the walls after a sale.

      There is also no nation more different than the Netherlands although
      when you are there as a Dutch speaker a strange audio-hallucinatory
      effect takes hold - after day 4 or 5 wandering around the city
      streets you begin to think you are hearing things, you begin to
      believe you understand Switzer Deutsch - you look at people, the way
      their mouths move, smirk, and swear you are understanding everything
      they are saying. There is something about the intonation of their
      German that seems to catch your eardrums the same way Dutch does. I
      thought I was going crazy until someone from Switzerland who had
      visited Amsterdam had almost the same exact experience except in
      reverse.

      I have been in Switzerland a number of times and have been there
      twice for research purposes. The last times, 4 years ago while
      writing my yodel book I spent my last full day there unwinding [after
      6 days of yodel intensity] I climbed a mountain, got high on the sun,
      the scents, the view, the thin air but most of all from the sounds,
      the atmospheric ambient orchestral sounds of cowbells in the
      foreground, passing from consciousness to unconscious, in the
      distance, on other mountainsŠ

      The Swiss seem to wrestle or engage or be annoyed with one another or
      find it stimulating to be in the age-old and yet hugely contemporary
      issue of identity and nation, of folk culture and who we are in that
      glom of conflicting stimuli. The Americans long for a royal, regal,
      mythical history and thus have Hollywood and the cult of fame, the
      British have their history [which of course simultaneously empowers
      and sarcastically laughs at its citizenry] while the Swiss are
      constantly dealing with issues of the real vs the image, illusion vs
      roots culture, commerce vs complexity, culture by political decree,
      wild outsider cultureŠ The good thing is that despite some flared
      tempers and some indignant denunciations by the one side or the other
      that one is real and the other fake or whatever, there is live music
      everywhere and that liveness brings people to the fore - in these
      smoky cafes and bars, you encounter rosy-cheeked people listening,
      dreaming, contemplating, scheming, dancing, singing, yodeling and
      arguing about who is upholding the Swissness of Switzerland: the
      official preservers of culture [conservative preservatives?], the
      playful ad hoc traditionals [they like to play with traditional music
      and improvise], the pop trads [ remunerative and surfacy play with
      tradition], the rockers [hating everything to do with embarrassing
      Swissness], the mature musicians [they take from everywhere and mix
      anything and everything to create an international Swissness that is
      certainly more savory than Switzerland's secretive international
      banking sleaze]Š

      While in Switzerland we met BBC reporter, grad student, musician and
      sometime yodeler, Serena Dankwa who is from Ghana but just as much
      from Switzerland. She is Swiss. Being black that creates awkward
      cultural moments and constant explanation that one of her parents is
      African the other European [Swiss]. She could yodel based on her
      interest stimulated by the avant gardists but brought back from her
      childhood learning yodels and songs taught to her by her mom. We met,
      interviewed, filmed and drank schnaps with some of the Zihlmann clan
      in the Entlebuch region of small villages and farms. There we met a
      traditional roots family who has continued to yodel on site and in a
      jodel group and even became somewhat renowned in the 1960s because of
      Alan Lomax-like recordings made of their songs. Sitting here and
      understanding little but feeling a lot [and hearing NO yodeling
      today] I realized how engrained certain practices like singing in and
      with a family is as far as identity [family, region, canton,
      national] and see how they deal with that balance between traditional
      and modern [they have modern tractors, TVs, mobile phones and yet
      therir lifestyles still clings to many habits, manners that keeps
      them in touch with who they are through what they do [they yodel,
      sing, make their own cheese, raise cattle, make their own schnapps].
      We also visited yet another person straddling the tradition vs modern
      divide. Nadja Räss, the young effervescent rage in song and research
      is that ideal lovely ambassador and negotiator who can make both
      traditionalists and modernists put away their arsenal of grumpy
      preconceptions. She is inspired by tradition, lives and yodels with a
      view of amazingly breathtaking [for a Dutchman whose experience with
      hills are dirt mounds - Paloma upon passing a huge dirt mound at a
      building site said 'Hey, daddy, look a mountain in Amsterdam]
      mountains in the backdrop where outside you hear the lingering time
      delay echoes of bells and children playing far off in the distanceŠ
      And, yes, Nadja has a voice, temper, soulful investment that makes
      her real without being stuffy or encumbered by the frills and
      handcuffs of tradition. Then we met the amazing vocalist, Christine
      Lauterberg who has always had a very open and constructive antagonism
      with pre-heated tradition and sings like someone with roots in the
      earth and roots in the sky and yet, she, as everyone else mentioned
      and not has to deal with issues of the acceptable, the transgressive,
      the sentimental, the profiteering, the satirical and many of these
      people, musicians and yodelers embrace a wide and varied approach to
      culture, folk music and tradition. This was best exemplified by the
      'farmer' 'herder' guys we met in the Muotathal valley where people
      still live traditionally and yet have all the creature comforts of
      modern society. Christian and Bernard, both who sing/yodel a lovely
      natuurjodel juutz that is dug right out of a mountainside with a
      shovel made of soul and yet Bernard is in a rock band where he does
      NO yodeling and his favorite music is rock and metal, with his fave
      being Creedence Clearwater. Meanwhile, Bernard also sang and yodeled
      in a family yodel group where the official traditions of strict
      guidelines and rules of what is 'folk' are maintained by judges who
      keep these strict guidelines to preserve folk music to deathŠ [To Be
      Continued]

      Notes on other Patapoe audionauts & nuts:
      o Jonges v/d Vlakte [Boys from the Plains]: "De cottonpickin' Jongens
      Mondays @ PTP

      o Dr. Doo Wop is one of the most eccentric and stimulating radio
      shows anywhere. Sartre, DeSade, Doo Wop and music from the gonads.
      Now on Radio Patapoe on Sunday 17.00-18.00 Amsterdam time

      o Solus: Minimal electro techno acid french hiphop / Thursdays 22.00
      o Super Nova is a big potpourri of sounds influences and information
      both local and elsewhere. Can you picture a sound? On Sundays
      18.00-20.00.

      o Wildcat Radio: Anarchist organization presents radio as it should
      be - in your ear. Saturdays 18.00-20.00.

      o De Oktoskoop: Kinderen/kid/children/rugrats and other visionaries.
      Sat. 11.30-13.30

      o POLYPHAKE PLAPPERLAPAPP: "polyphone audioerosion featuring
      occasional beatweirdniks in an plaperlappap assemblage hosted by
      F.Fiasko 22:30-?? Wednesdays

      o Radio Worm: Rotterdam-based radio collective presents inventive
      programming to baffle all preconceptions. Midnight Sundays and in
      autopilot rotation.

      o HET PROGRAMMA: industrial lounge for collapsing people. Tuesdays 21:00

      ~~~~

      * Wreck This Mess-Paris @ Radio Libertaire, Paris 89.4 hosted by
      Laurent Diouf 1/2 PanouPanou on Tuesdays 12:30-14:30 check
      <http://www.wtm-paris.com>
      * Black Sifichi / Audiometric radio check <http://www.blacksifichi.com>

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Dina Appeldoornstraat 11-3
      1076 AX Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 2500± READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK
      o Check out NEW excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete
      on Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/>