WRECK: BESTBESTBEST 2006

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2007

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: 358 [955*]: The Best of The
      Best of The Best of 2006

      PTP in the ether: 88.3FM
      Where purity & puerility are synonymous
      streaming via internet:
      <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>

      15 January 2007 // 16.50-19.00

      "If strangeness be a standard for unfavorable judgment, I damn, at a
      swipe, most of this... But damnation is nothing to me. I offer the
      data. Suit yourself."

      "I can't quite define my motive, because to this day it has not been
      decided whether I am a humorist or a scientist."

      * Charles Fort, Albany NY [quoted in The Damned Universe of Charles
      Fort, Autonomedia]
      ~~~~

      Rastrillo-termontanque > Anla Courtis [29]
      La Radio, Ça Detend > Elsa Justel [26]
      Reducido a Hemmoragia de Merkluzas > Anla Courtis [29]
      Arrivals & Departures > Yves Martel [+]
      Buy First, Second Free > Andrew Duke [10]
      N/p 4 part 1 > Norscq vs aka Bondage [9]
      Sterile > Black Sifichi vs Brain Damage [i]
      N/p 4 part 2 > Norscq vs aka Bondage [9]
      Freyi Walt / Bim Josef > Christine Lauterberg [12]
      Body Enduring Inconsistency > Huang Qing + Aojie A Ge [13]
      Voix de la Ville > Henri Pousseur [1]
      Coke > Mash Up Sound System vs Incredibad [13]
      Presto > Iva Bittova [31]
      Can't Beat Blim > Ted Milton vs Sam Britton [7]
      Whip My Toudie > Jozef van Wissem [11]
      Walking Man > James Taylor [k]
      Parti Longtemps > Michel F. Coté [3]
      20 Rats at Once > Unireverse [17]
      The Big Wig > J. D. King & the Coachmen [$]
      Pennies from Heaven > Frank Rosolino [d]
      Metroconversation > Suzanne Thoma vs Brain Damage [i]
      Usti, Usti Baba > Senor Coconut vs Koçani Orchestar [20]
      Dub Homo > Serge Gainsbourg [4]
      Heeme > Etran Finatawa [6]
      Thunda & Lightning > ERS-One vs Scud [22]
      Chicharras Night > Up, Bustle & Out [24]
      Sara Love > DJ Amsia [32]
      Fenetres > Mohammed el Amraoui vs Brain Damage [i]
      Mirrors the Movement > Phil Hargreaves vs Lee Noyes [*]
      British Tourist Revisited > John Dowie vs POW Ensemble [iv] [b]
      In A Gadda Da Vida > Albert Kuvezin & Yat-Kha [c]
      Rise > Noiseshaper [16]
      Inuit Wedding > Sainkho [iii]
      Purple Peeps > Sensational vs Kouhei [18]
      Warm Leatherette Erik Friedlander vs Teho Teardo [21] [e]

      Top 2006
      [Obviously some of these were released (way) before 2006 but I don't
      care about chronology that much]
      List is NOT in a fixed order but rather in a floating or bobbing pond
      of sound. Although the ones nearer the top belong somewhere near the
      top, number 20 could as easily been number 14 or 27. ALL of these
      listed were appreciated.

      [1] Henri Pousseur > Acousmatrix - History of Electronic Music IV >
      BVHaast <www.bvhaast.nl>.
      [2] Up, Bustle & Out > City Breakers 18 Frames per Second > Collision
      <www.echobeach.de>.
      [3] Michel F. Coté > Flat Fourgonnette: Mescal Free Style > Dame
      <actuellecd.com>.
      [4] Serge Gainsbourg > Mauvaises Nouvelles des Etoiles >
      Philips/Mercury/Universal.
      [5] Various Poets > Poetry on Record: 98 Poets Read Their Work,
      1888-2006 > Shout Factory <shoutfactory.com>.
      [6] Etran Finatawa > Introducing > World Music network <www.worldmusic.net>.
      [7] Ted Milton > Odes > TM <www.tedmilton.net>.
      [8] Shukar Collective > Urban Gypsy > Riverboat <www.worldmusic.net>.
      [9] Norscq > 5 Streams > Optical Sound <www.optical-sound.com>
      [10] Andrew Duke > Consumer vs. User > Cognition Audioworks
      <www.cognitionaudioworks.com>.
      [11] Jozef van Wissem > A Rose by Any Other Name: Anonymous Lute
      Solos of the Golden Age > BVHaast <www.bvhaast.nl>.
      [12] Christine Lauterberg > Alles Bleibt Anders > Dewil Music
      <www.dewilmusic.ch>.
      [13] Various WORM Artists > Dig / Feed / Shit > WORM > <www.wormweb.nl>.
      [14] Beans > Shock City Maverick > Warp.
      [15] Polkabilly: How the Goose Island Ramblers Redefined American
      Folk Music > Oxford University Press <www.oup.com>.
      [16] Noiseshaper > Real to Reel > Echo Beach <www.echobeach.de>.
      [17] Unireverse > Plays the Music > No Type
      [18] Sensational > Sensational Meets Kouhei > WordSound <www.wordsound.com>.
      [19] American Polka: Old Tunes & New Sounds > Trikont <www.trikont.de>.
      [20] Various Artists > Electric Gypsyland > Crammed / 6 Degrees
      <www.sixdegreesrecords.com>.
      [21] Erik Friedlander & Teaho Teardo > Giorni Rubati > Bip-Hop
      <www.bip-hop.com>.
      [22] ERS-One Rude, Rugged and Rough Raggabot <www.raggabot.com>.
      [23] The Cats & the Fiddle > Start Jive Talkin' > Dee-Jay
      [24] Up, Bustle & Out > Mexican Sessions > Collision <www.echobeach.de>.
      [25] Earl Okin > Music Genius & Sex Symbol > Columbia
      [26] Various Artists > My Radio > LMC <www.l-m-c.org.uk>.
      [27] RothKamm > FB02; Astronaut of Inner Space > Flux <www.fluxrecords.com>
      [28] Rocket/Freudental > Wir Leben Wie Gespenster > Trikont <www.trikont.de>.
      [29] Anla Courtis > Tape Works > Pogus <www.pogus.com>
      [30] The Grief > The Grief - Greatest Hits on Optical Sound
      <www.optical-sound.com>.
      [31] Iva Bittova & Others > Elida on Indies Records <www.indiesrec.cz>
      [32] Various Artists > Worm April 2006 CDR <www.wormweb.nl>.

      Not Eligible But Still Good [I had a hand in these]
      [i] Various Artists > Spoken Dub Manifesto > Jarring Effects
      <www.jarringeffects.org>.
      [ii] Dub Syndicate > The Rasta Far I > Collision <www.dub-music.de>.
      [iii] Rough Guide to Yodel > World Music Network <www.worldmusic.net>.
      [iv] POW Ensemble > Birdsong from Inside the Egg > X-Or <www.x-or.nl>.

      Incomprehensible (not necessarily bad, in fact, mostly good) Honor Roll
      [$] J. D. King & the Coachmen > American Mercury > Ecstatic Peace
      <ecstaticpeace.com>.
      [%] ArkLIGHT > Gochu > Rank Cologne <kolmrank@...>
      [#] Dr.Dr. Jazz > Erik Satie: Vexations > Party Beach <drdrjazz@...>
      [*] Phil Hargreaves & Les Noyes > A Present from the Pickpocket
      [+] Engagement & Confrontation > Yves Martel > Ambiences Magnetiques
      <www.actuellecd.com>

      Singles / individual trax
      [a] Sex Machine [Brown] > Serge Gainsbourg vs La Horde
      [b] British Tourist Revisited John Dowie vs POW Ensemble
      [c] In A Gadda Da Vida > Albert Kuvezin & Yat-Kha
      [d] Pennies from Heaven > Frank Rosolino [jazz yodeling!]
      [e] Warm Leatherette > Erik Friedlander vs Teho Teardo
      [f] Dreams > Cranberries [post-new wave yodeling]
      [g] Arriba Monte > Brigada Victor Jara
      [h] Ageing Young Rebel > DJ Food vs Ken Nordine
      [k] Walking Man > James Taylor
      [l] Blue Xmas > Miles Davis & Bob Dorough
      [m] Song for my Choir > Trout Pomeroy
      [n] Benny & the Jets > Elton John & the Muppets

      o With every year end tabulation I am brought to many junctures
      mentally and mnemonically. Upon moving to the US when I was six I
      remember 'learning' America through my transistor radio, something I
      took with me everywhere growing up in New Jersey. I remember taking
      it to bed, tuning it on my pillow, drawing in distant stations that
      fluttered and flourished somewhere in the Midwest. I remember the
      angst and sadness as the battery wore out and the stations began to
      fade until all you could get was the most powerful station in the
      area, like WOR. I remember testing the transistor batteries by
      putting your tongue on the 2 poles and getting this kind of
      titillating bitter shock on your tongue. I remember riding on my
      bike, radio to ear, I remember devising a holder for it so I could
      ride with 2 hands, radio positioned on a little wooden platform
      strapped to my handlebars. I remember that the jolts were not good
      for this radio. I remember the internal antenna coming loose and the
      radio beginning to short out and me having to open the back to wiggle
      the internal parts to get it to cough up a few more hours of radio.

      I remember going shopping in some department store for a new [red]
      transistor radio. I remember being alone a lot except for my radio
      and that a working radio was important to accompany me on my long
      dreamy meanderings through fields and strange towns. I remember my
      father buying a great old heavy Norelco reel-to-reel tape recorder
      and I remember him recording things off his shortwave radio and off
      TV like Ed Sullivan. I remember my father being big enough to share
      his toy with me and helping me set up the mike in front of the radio
      to especially record the top 100 countdown for the end of the year
      which usually happened during the Xmas season ending at New Year.
      There I would be diligently writing down the list from 100 to number
      1 and trying to anticipate turning on the recorder to record numbers
      I liked since I only had one reel of tape. I remember this is where
      my fascination came from, trying to learn America and growing up and
      long hair and charisma and music and girls through the radio and pop
      and rock music.

      The amazing thing back then was that the best music was pop music and
      that experimentation and adventure and mingled genres could all
      happen in the 1960s - black, white, rock, pop, jazz, even blues and
      Caribbean, Latin hits got through to the top 40s. I romanticize a bit
      no doubt but I liken then to a community neighborhood sandbox where
      all the kids played in the same box with the same sand. While today
      'everyone' is 'wealthy' enough to live far away from any downtown and
      every house and family has its own playground and sandbox.

      Today music that is interesting gets no airplay - that is why John
      Peel was such a big deal and his range wasn't even that broad. But at
      least he was personally INTO what he played, which is more than you
      can say for the hacks manning the studios across the commercial radio
      world. The good thing about the Internet is that you can again hear
      strange things via Webradio or Podcasts. The downside is downloading
      [not necessarily for free and THAT I am not so sure about either -
      good or bad that you can 'steal' music.]. Downloading bypasses the
      third parties which include the labels, the graphic designers, the
      liner notes writers and the critics. You just download what you like
      and know and what others from your similar circles suggests you
      listen to. The jury is still out on whether these developments are
      imploding or exploding tastes, broadening or narrowing horizons and
      ear palettes.

      I know I am on the brink of changing the way I do radio and post my
      playlists [continue on Patapoe - OK. As long as we get back and stay
      online] and am getting advice from some of my more technically
      inclined friends who might come up with something yet. The problem
      with technological shifts [that happen with increasing frequency] is
      that if you keep up with your relation to the technology you lose
      your relation with content. The medium is NOT the message to me. The
      medium is a spoon, a tool. Just like a writer doesn't write about a
      pencil or his keyboard, he automatically just USES the tool. That is
      how I want it to be with radio, broadcasting but alas I am always too
      tired after working to spend more hours figuring out how to launch
      myself in a new directionŠ anyway, I am looking to purchase some
      domain name, some virtual land and there build something to my likingŠ

      The best here comes from over 150 records I was sent or given or that
      I bought or was sent as mp3sŠ I want to thank all of the labels and
      musicians who keep sending music. Furthermore, I want to again insist
      that I plan to catch up on delinquent playlists VERY soon.

      ANNOUNCEMENT
      First Appearance of Brain Damage in Netherlands

      Tonight Friday January 19 at 23.00

      Tha Big Escape
      Featuring

      BRAIN DAMAGE (F|LIVE)
      Great French deep electro-dub in a post-On-U style. [See many WTM
      playlists with lots of airplay.] Sound engineer and bassist create
      atmospheric, deep emotional dub.

      Also:
      Loudspeaker : Antwerp artist collective and ix project 3 tunrtables
      and effects. Ex members of Subaltern & Larsoul: Belgian

      Dubpirates are from Amsterdam and play fresh dancehall

      Lekkah Band Soundcrew combines reggae, dancehall, dub en drum 'n
      bass. With VJ rOol

      Patronaat
      Zijlsingel 2
      2013 DN Haarlem

      E-mail
      info@...

      Nieuwe telefoonnummers:
      023 - 517 58 50 (kantoor)
      023 - 517 58 58 (kassa/infolijn)
      023 - 517 58 51 (fax)

      o Jonges v/d Vlakte [Boys from the Plains]: "De cottonpickin' Jongens
      Mondays @ PTP

      o Dr. Doo Wop is one of the most eccentric and stimulating radio
      shows anywhere. Sartre, DeSade, Doo Wop and music from the gonads.
      Now on Radio Patapoe on Sunday 17.00-18.00 Amsterdam time

      o Solus: Minimal electro techno acid french hiphop / Thursdays 22.00
      o Super Nova is a big potpourri of sounds influences and information
      both local and elsewhere. Can you picture a sound? On Sundays
      18.00-20.00.

      o Wildcat Radio: Anarchist organization presents radio as it should
      be - in your ear. Saturdays 18.00-20.00.

      o De Oktoskoop: Kinderen /kid /children /rugrats and other
      visionaries. Sat. 11.30-13.30

      o POLYPHAKE PLAPPERLAPAPP: "polyphone audioerosion featuring
      occasional beatweirdniks in an plaperlappap assemblage hosted by
      F.Fiasko 22:30-?? Wednesdays

      o Radio Worm: Rotterdam-based radio collective presents inventive
      programming to baffle all preconceptions. Midnight Sundays and in
      autopilot rotation.

      o HET PROGRAMMA: industrial lounge for collapsing people. Tuesdays 21:00

      ~~~~

      * Wreck This Mess-Paris @ Radio Libertaire, Paris 89.4 hosted by
      Laurent Diouf 1/2 PanouPanou on Tuesdays 12:30-14:30 check
      <http://www.wtm-paris.com>
      * Black Sifichi / Audiometric radio check <http://www.blacksifichi.com>

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Dina Appeldoornstraat 11-3
      1076 AX Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 2500± READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK
      o Check out NEW excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete
      on Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/>