Dirty Three & Gary Higgins interviews, String Driven Thing article

  • Jason Gross
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2006
      Greetings,

      In the latest issue of Perfect Sound Forever
      <http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>, you'll find (among other things):

      THE DIRTY THREE
      * Instrumental Interview
      "Australian instrumental trio The Dirty Three recorded two of the
      best albums of 2005. Whilst the scintillating seventh studio album
      Cinder saw them break new ground with shorter songs and more varied
      instrumentation, the tour CD Live At Meredith captured all their
      mournful yet beautiful wild passion in the arena they really excel,
      in front of an enthusiastic crowd. They're also one of the best bands
      to watch, with violinist Warren Ellis throwing himself into the music, looking
      victorious and heroic and innovative drummer Jim White flailing loose
      limbed at his kit."

      GARY HIGGINS
      * Psychedelic re-emergence
      "Lost albums are all the rage these days. Underpromoted or too weird
      to generate sales upon their initial release, recent years have seen
      the resurgence of the "rediscover and reissue" brigade, whose leading
      lights so far have been Vashti Bunyan and Linda Perhacs (who
      literally walked out of the woods carrying the master-tapes to her
      legendary Parallelograms album). To this ever-evolving list we can
      now add an album that was consigned to the attics and basements of
      history due to a pot bust: Red Hash by Gary Higgins."

      TOMITA
      * Prog-classical electronic master
      "Well-known through his surname, Isao Tomita, for all his success
      over a longish period of time, has been little discussed with any
      degree of seriousness in non-classicalist venues. This stems from the
      musician's cross-genre wont, melding a classicalist base into
      progressive, classical electronic, modernist electronic, even
      classical lite, and sometimes eccentrically satiric, veins. Like few
      others in the field, his initial LP, Snowflakes Are Dancing, hit the
      market in a
      storm, catching the music-buying crowd off-balance and keeping it
      that way for years, through a string of excellent releases, one of
      the best track records in electro-music history."

      STRING DRIVEN THING
      * Scotland's fierce drone-rockers
      "For those of you of a certain age (i.e. baby boomers), the name
      String Driven Thing probably rings some vague bell at the back of the
      mind. The name may be familiar, and if you grew up in Glasgow, the
      band's home town, in the early '70's, you may even recall the sleeves
      of their early albums prominently on display in the window of
      "Listen," Scotland's favourite record store. However, unless you were
      one of the band's fanatical, underground following, it's almost
      certain that the music passed you by."

      Also note... our zine has entered the world of MySpace- you can find
      us at <http://www.myspace.com/perfectsoundmagazine>
      Feel free to visit us there and sign up as our friend (we'll be glad
      to be your friend).

      We're always looking for good writers and/or ideas so let us know if
      you have anything to share.

      See you online,
      Jason

      Perfect Sound Forever- online music magazine since 1993- now new and
      semi-improved!
      <http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>
      MySpace Page: <http://www.myspace.com/perfectsoundmagazine>
      Crazed by the Music blog: <http://blogs.popmatters.com/crazedbythemusic/>