Wreck: Blue Monday / Electrifying Fat Hair-Raising BLUES

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2006

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: 342: Blue Monday / Electrifying
      Fat Hair-Raising BLUES

      PTP in the ether: 88.3FM
      Where purity & puerility are synonymous
      streaming via internet:

      Monday 7 August 17.00 -- 19.00

      with guest host, blues fanatic & vinyl junkie
      DJ Michel El & Wreck

      "Obesity is a condition which proves that the Lord
      does not help those who help themselves and help themselves and help
      * anonymous

      "There is no need to worry about mere size.
      We do not necessarily respect a fat man more than a thin man.
      Sir Isaac Newton was very much smaller than a hippopotamus, but we do
      not on that account value him less"
      * Bertrand Russell

      PHIL VON [of Von Magnet will play in Amsterdam's Robodock Festival
      with the wild performance company "Materia Prima".
      21 - 23 September

      Bourgeois Town > The Fall [1]
      Spike Driver Blues > Michel F. Coté [2]
      Mad Man Blues > Luc Houtkamp and POW3 [3]
      War News Blues > Lightnin' Hopkins
      Vietnam > Charlie Sayles
      World's in a Tangle > Jimmy Rogers
      Single Man Blues > Frankie Lee Sims
      The Hucklebuck > Earl Hooker
      Feelin' Good > Little Junior
      Cotton Crop Blues > Jame Cotton
      Moanin' at Midnight > Howlin' Wolf
      Shake 'em on Down > Dr. Ross
      Chicken Stuff > Hop Wilson
      Rooster Blues > Cliff Carlisle
      Dark Was the Night > Blind Willie Johnson
      Pablo's Blues > Gare du Nord
      Freezer > Oscar
      Can Blue Men Sing the Whites > Bonzo Dog Band
      Sure Thing > St. Germain
      Time Machine > Shuggie Otis
      Woodstock Boogie > Canned Heat
      You Shook Me [W. Dixon] > Jeff Beck & Rod Stewart
      I Sing Um the Way I Feel > J.B. Lenoir
      Eisenhower Blues > J.B. Lenoir
      Rollin' and Tumblin' > Elmore James
      Commit a Crime > Howlin' Wolf
      Goin' Down Slow > Little Walter Jacobs
      Wobbling Baby > John Lee Hooker
      Do the Boogie > John Lee Hooker
      She's Gone > Hound Dog Taylor
      Give Me Back My Wig > Hound Dog Taylor

      [1] "Are You Are Missing Winner" on Cog Sinister. Must be hundredth
      label for the Fall. This is a scathing Leadbelly tirade against the
      bourgeoisie as sung by Mark E. Smith, not prone to many cover
      versions. So it must be significant. The album is a minor one and he
      credits Robert Johnson as songwriter. Maybe another piece of
      obstinate obscurantism by the king of poetic misanthropes. Being a
      fan of the BBC show "Grumpy Old Men [and Women]" I think that MES
      would fit in nicely although his enflamed and almost righteous
      Orwell-meets-Rimbaud grumpiness would blow the rest away.

      [2] "Flat Fourgonnette: Mescal Free Style" on Dame <actuellecd.com>.
      Incredible blend of blues, folk, avant perversions, some actual
      play-alongs of blues songs - very haunting duets. This is definitely
      one of the best of 2006. Here he boldly and freely samples pretty
      much the entire Mississippi John Hurt song so that he eerily seems to
      be doing a graverobbing duetŠ

      [3] "The Thirteen Bar Blues" on X-Or <www.xs4all.nl/~xorluc>
      <xorluc@...>. If androids fell to earth and tried to unravel
      the mystery of the simple depths of the blues it would probably sound
      a little like this. In an attempt to use the computer to find the
      essential form of the blues and then play with it, Houtkamp's Pow3
      have created an interesting tension between soul and machine,
      investigation and improv whereby the musicians interact with computer
      generated blues riffs and the machines begin to assume an autonomy to
      the point where they may very likely be making their own blues music
      without the interference of human beings. Brilliant plumbing which
      links modern electronic avant garde-ness to traditional blues. Like a
      man trying to bring to life some Frankenstein.One of my Top 30 Best
      of 2003.

      o Picked up DJ Michel El at his home and we filled a crate with
      vintage blues LPs then took it down and tied the crate down to the
      back of his bike precariously with wire. As we rode through the
      Vondel Park I was charmed by our mode of transport as we moved some
      hundred LPs to the lo-tek studios of Radio Patapoe. Charming in this
      I-Pod world where in the palm of your hand one can hold some 600 LPs
      but Michel still prefers the old-style LP and thus hauling heavy
      bulky vinyl through a moist park. What a contrast and yet, everything
      goes. All media can co-exist simultaneously - each with their own
      invested values. The LP of course has mnemonic charms like the smell
      and of course classic [unrereleased] album covers and scratchy
      sounds, each triggering a different sense with a memory of one's
      early exposure to the blues. Both of us via astute long-hair white
      students of the blues like John Mayall, Cream, even Led Zeppelin
      among many others.

      I have the sense had we brought only CDs or an I-Pod our conversation
      would have been a lot different and a lot less led to reminiscingŠ
      Michel followed an early war theme in 'honor' of recent wars inc. the
      Palestinians vs Israelis. Then we went to urban indulgence. he played
      the gutsy real blues and I threw in a few pale fakes.

      o When I play blues by non-blues musicians I like the dramatic
      tension between the genuine and the replicator, the genius vs the
      discount, the top shelf liquor vs the bottom shelf rot gut. It
      reminds me of when I lived in Paris and some friends and I [mostly
      ex-pats] would of financial necessity but also curiosity try French
      wines of various qualities and vintages going ever DOWN in price
      until you are down on your knees looking on the bottom shelf along
      with the clochards and hoboes for the cheapest stuff. And our
      challenge became to find the cheapest possible drinkable wine [a
      good-drinking wine to paraphrase a famous beer ad]. With a low budget
      and high thirst situation it was important to fine tune one's
      purchases so that you could afford all the wine you needed that fit
      within your budget, was not disgraceful and painful and did not cause
      major hangovers. In this same manner I like to take musical genres
      with high [art or ethnomusicological] reputations and see how close
      musicians from outside those genres can come to doing something
      blasphemous - stretching the genre, the sound or one's patience.

      o There are twice as many fat people in the Netherlands as there were
      10 years ago - well not quite - shooting up from 6% to 10% of the
      population and thus there have been lots of print and TV stories
      about fatness, mostly focusing on the connoisseurs of corpulence, the
      US. There we hear of comfort readjustments - broader seats in both
      airplanes and movie theatres. My question is: does that mean they
      will pay a percentage higher price? Why not, they are driving up the
      price per seat by removing the number of seatsŠ 64% of Americans are

      * Obesity's Ground Zero: "Houston is the fattest city in what is
      becoming an increasingly fat country. In Houston, nearly everything
      is big, from big buildings to big houses. Houston has also become the
      ground zero of the obesity crisis in America. And that's where CBS
      News correspondent Mika Brzezinski begins a road tour looking at the
      obesity health crisis in America. Twenty years ago, only a few states
      had residents with weight problems. But today, 41 states report
      dangerous levels of obesity. A CBS News poll shows 93 percent of
      Americans believe obesity is a serious public health problem, and 35
      percent believe they are overweight. "You see it in schools. You see
      it in restaurants, and in stores," says Sonia Deleon, a Houston
      parent. "Everywhere you look, you see overweight children nowadays."
      And it's not just kids. It's everyone.

      "The populations who are becoming obese are increasing, and it almost
      seems like there is no end in sight," says Dr. Samuel Klein, with the
      Washington University School of Medicine. Why is obesity a problem?
      Dr. Klein says it's very simple: fat kills. "It causes diabetes, bad
      lipids, high blood pressure, stroke, heart disease, cancer, liver
      disease, lung disease," he notes. And it's no secret how we got that
      way. Food that's fast, easy ó and hard to resist ó is a big part of
      our diet. "They want junk food," Sarah says. How often do they get
      it? "A lot. Let's just put it that way," Sarah adds. And no where is
      the temptation to eat junk great than on the road. No one knows that
      better than truckers. Randy Hale has been a trucker for about two
      years, and started putting on the pounds right from the start. In
      about four months, he gained twenty pounds, he says. "I'm having
      catfish, potatoes, green beans, and macaroni and cheese," says
      trucker Randy Hale. This is why Barry Pawelek, a former trucker
      himself, has launched a national health tour aimed at truckers. After
      a heart attack ended Barry's career, he started a campaign for
      healthier truckers.

      "We can't make them change," Barry acknowledges. "I can't say 'eat
      this.' I want them to make the change and I think they will do that."
      As for Randy, he's trying to eat healthier and change his diet, but
      like most of us, he's got an excuse. "I was a good boy last night so
      I cheated a little bit today." Mika Brzezinski's Road Journal, CBS
      Broadcasting Inc.

      * rtl5 has had a series of documentaries on their show called shock
      doc about fatness in america and how more and more people justify
      their bad eating behavior because they can always be saved by radical
      surgery. you can tell a lot of these fat people look forward to the
      operation because it will mean they are not only the center of
      attention in the hospital but on tv as well. empowerment thru laszy
      eating habits.this show followed a bunch of fat people [with lots of
      incidental music and shots of people's butts] in the fat capital of
      the US - Houston! almost everyone there seems to obese. and proud of
      it! one lady weighing 800 pounds [but doing the talk show psych 101
      bit by claiming she is proud of her body - yea right] who says that
      texas is about eating. not eating well but a lot. portions are big
      and every restaurant has an all you can eat special. she says diets
      don';t work for her. she has tried some 30 of them. meanwhile a mom
      who is getting radical surgery - they basically cut out half yr
      stomach so you can't eat as much - and her son who is 10 is already
      170 pounds. you can see an insane combo of oblivious behavior
      justified by pop psych and a kind of heroic vitimization status
      molded by how these people talk about themselves.

      while people in europe walk 33% of the time when they are going some
      place in texas it is less than 9%. they also showed the fact that
      there are no sidewalks anywhere. they then went into the entire Texas
      BS about big being better. i mean they showed some of the grossest
      looking suburban bodies and beer guts you will ever want to see
      [excrable and gruesome] and all of them talking about this BS
      folklore about texas being all about big being better [yea, well then
      - i thot - why is the texas rep in the miss america/usa contests
      skinny? anyway, they showed the big cars, the big guts, the big
      mouths, the big appetites, the big seats, the big appetites... they
      followed one guy who eats out every night of the week and has made it
      his religious quest to go to places that offer all you can eat and
      then eat so much he is asked not to come back or to places that offer
      free meals if you can eat it all - 64 ounce steak [isn't tha 4
      pounds?] plus a garbage can full of fries and a mound of bread - he
      finished the meal in 34 minutes - they take your foto and put it on
      the wall. cuz texas is also all about competing and what better place
      to compete than in the sport of eating a lot. and fast. oh toni is

      o Another American fat story: Americans are 'too fat for x-rays'.
      "The nation's rising obesity problems mean many citizens are not only
      too large for scanners but they have too much fat for the rays to
      penetrate. Over the past 15 years, the number of failed scans linked
      to patient obesity has doubled, Radiology journal reports. The
      problem is not confined to scanners. UK hospitals have had to make
      their beds stronger for obese patients. And airlines are designing
      aircraft to carry heavier loads because passengers are becoming

      Dr Raul Uppot and colleagues, who work in radiology at Massachusetts
      General Hospital, had noticed that they were seeing more and more
      patients whose weight prevented them from having medical scansŠ Year
      on year they saw a small but significant increase in the number of
      scans that had to be abandoned because the patient was too fat.
      Ultrasound images were affected the most because the sound waves need
      to penetrate the skin and fatty tissue before reaching the organs
      being examined.

      The US government says 64% of the population are overweight.
      [MEANWHILE] The UK is now the fastest growing country in Europe for
      rising obesity.

      Story from BBC NEWS:

      o Recent reports verify that there are now more overweight people
      across the world than hungry ones, according to experts. I guess to
      some degree that can be seen as positive except when you note that
      most of the obese did not come from the previously hungry, coming
      instead from the

      University of North Carolina professor Barry Popkin noted that the
      number of overweight people had topped 1 billion, with 800 million

      The biggest increases happened in parts of Asia with the "burden of
      obesity", with its related illnesses, shifting from the rich to the
      poor, not both urban and rural.

      China suddenly has more sedentary work, more cars, and a major shift
      in diet from cereals to animal products, fat and junk and fast food.

      University of Minnesota's Professor Benjamin Senauer, compared
      lifestyles in the US, with Japan and found that "The average Japanese
      household spends almost a quarter of its income on food compared to
      under 14% in the US."

      He suggests that agricultural subsidies which result in cheap food
      could be reduced. But he also pointed to other factors, such as
      exercise "Japanese cities are based on efficient public transport and
      walking. The average American commutes to work, drives to the
      supermarket and does as little walking as possible."

      from BBC NEWS: http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/health/4793455.stm

      o Not only have there been a lot of fat stories in the news lately
      but also a lot about dwarfs. There are of course the 7 Dwarfs as
      detailed in my book who yodel but also the fighting dwarf factions
      battling it out over who is the more legitimate dwarf Kiss cover
      band! Now there is the Filipino 'dwarf' judge, Florentino Floro, who
      said he consulted imaginary mystic dwarves and has, as a consequence,
      finally lost his job. He noted that three mystic dwarves - Armand,
      Luis and Angel - had helped him to carry out healing sessions during
      breaks in his court chambers.

      "They should not have dismissed me for what I believed," Mr Floro
      opined. The judge claimed he made a covenant with his dwarf friends
      that he could write while in a trance and that he had been seen by
      several people in two places at the same time and reportedly changed
      from blue court robes to black every Friday "to recharge his psychic
      powers". In a letter to the court he said: "From obscurity, my name
      and the three mystic dwarves became immortal."

      Story from BBC NEWS:

      Notes on other Patapoe audionauts & nuts:
      o Jonges v/d Vlakte [Boys from the Plains]: "De cottonpickin' Jongens
      Mondays @ PTP

      o Dr. Doo Wop is one of the most eccentric and stimulating radio
      shows anywhere. Sartre, DeSade, Doo Wop and music from the gonads.
      Now on Radio Patapoe on Sunday 17.00-18.00 Amsterdam time

      o Super Nova is a big potpourri of sounds influences and information
      both local and elsewhere. Can you picture a sound? On Sundays

      o Wildcat Radio: Anarchist organization presents radio as it should
      be - in your ear. Saturdays 18.00-20.00.

      o De Oktoskoop: Kinderen/kid/children/rugrats and other visionaries.
      Sat. 11.30-13.30

      o POLYPHAKE PLAPPERLAPAPP: "polyphone audioerosion featuring
      occasional beatweirdniks in an plaperlappap assemblage hosted by
      F.Fiasko 22:30-?? Wednesdays

      o Radio Worm: Rotterdam-based radio collective presents inventive
      programming to baffle all preconceptions. Midnight Sundays and in
      autopilot rotation.

      o HET PROGRAMMA: industrial lounge for collapsing people. Tuesdays 21:00

      * Wreck This Mess-Paris @ Radio Libertaire, Paris 89.4 hosted by
      Laurent Diouf 1/2 PanouPanou on Tuesdays 12:30-14:30 check
      * Black Sifichi / Audiometric radio check <http://www.blacksifichi.com>

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Dina Appeldoornstraat 11-3
      1076 AX Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      o Check out NEW excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete
      on Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/>