Wreck: Back From Being Away

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2006

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: 336-8: Back from Being Away

      PTP in the ether: 88.3FM
      Where purity & puerility are synonymous
      streaming via internet:
      <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>

      "I wish men had boobs because I like the feel of them. It's so funny -
      when I record I sing with a hand over each of them, maybe it's a
      comfort thing."
      * Baby Spice of the Spice Girls

      ~~~

      336: 12 Juni 2006
      ~~~
      I'm Your DJ > Lil Wally [my anthem off & on for 12 yrs now]
      La Tapas Morada > Alfredo Gutierrez
      Bang > Andrew Duke
      City Hawk > Beans
      Shuffle / Mortal > Andrew Duke
      The Queen of Bees > Victoria Fenner
      + Refuse Your Albatross > Andrew Duke
      Saatto > Kimmo Pohjonen
      The Animation of Lists 1 > Warren Burt
      Skate of Bulgaria > Bathtub Shitter
      The Animation of Lists 1 > Warren Burt
      Hello Alone > Bathtub Shitter
      The Animation of Lists 2 > Warren Burt
      Ps from BS > Bathtub Shitter
      The Animation of Lists 3 > Warren Burt
      Other Music > Eric Leonardson
      A > Guy Debord & Friends
      Blim > Ted Milton vs Sam Britten
      Some Sort of Dark Force > Sarah Boothroyd
      Burundi Black 2 > Burundi Steïphenson Black
      The World Unmasked > Prince Charming
      Aurum Potabile > Prince Charming
      Mists Rise Over Still Pools > Prince Charming
      Gigi > Dalida
      Heartz > Project Heartz
      A Saab and a Gun > Beem
      I'm Paper > Sensational vs Kouhei
      Killing Fields > Genevieve Robertson vs Jayson Wyness
      Commanding the Sun to Stand Still > Prince Charming
      Stealing Sacred Truffles in Scuffles > Prince Charming
      Sipping Secret Symphonies of Ultra Low Frequency Poetry > Prince Charming
      Art Thou a Nymph? > Prince Charming

      o amazingly weird stuff by Prince Charming which sounds like he's
      just cleaned out his garage and relabeled all the musty boxes and
      files. Meanwhile, Sensational sounds more and more like a cross
      between a delirious Dadaist and an alien making fun of hip hop. These
      2 are on the formidable [although long ago declared RIP DOA] Crooklyn
      dub-hop label WordSound. I also received another pre-release CD from
      Word Sound, which means they may be trying to climb out from the
      steep deep dark grooves of their trademark doom dub sound and give it
      another go in the world of eternal hype and surfaces.

      o When I was in 8th grade we had a very interesting history and
      geography teacher. Why do I still remember his name - Mr. Kenney -
      and a story he told to illustrate economics: that it took, I believe
      1000 pounds of potatoes to make one gallon of vodka. This I thought
      was amazing because I saw a mountain of potatoes being squeezed into
      one bottle and the fact that potatoes seemed so different from
      potatoes. Of course, if he were to use the same example he'd surely
      be fired or sued by some American parents who would accuse him of
      luring their kids into the lurid world of alcohol abuse. It was only
      later that I learned that vodka was made of many different things
      including grape peel pulp or cane sugar or almost anything including,
      I once heard out of wood shavings and bark. The EU is now trying to
      enforce the idea that if you want to call your spirits vodka it has
      to be made of potatoes, grains and/or sugar beets. Any other base
      ingredient drinks will just have to be called something else. I mean,
      you don't see things made of chocolate and cardboard being called
      french fries or bread being made out of motor oil and yeast and
      shaving cream. No its not called bread unless it is made of grains.

      o when I lived in the 18th arr. In Paris, right in Place Pigalle I
      often wandered my way up through the whore and transvestite area,
      past the old home of Dalida. (Born Yolande Christina Gigliotti)
      (January 17, 1933 ñ May 3, 1987) she headed to Paris as a young girl
      to realize her dreams of becoming a singer and movie star. She would
      become all that and more. She like so many tragic female singers
      seemed to embody tragedy like all of her life was an opera. She, as
      one website noted, " through her music - assembled and dismantled the
      jigsaw of her life." A queen, a gay icon, Piaf, Garland, she will
      survive despite what life puts in her wayŠ Dalida became a legend:
      "Dalida was the first artist ever awarded a gold record, she was the
      first singer in Europe to have fans, she was the pioneer of French
      disco music. Michel Legrand, Gilbert Bècaud Lèo Ferré, and Charles
      Trènet. An undisputed pioneer (the 1976 version of "J'attendrai" was
      France's first ever disco hit), she even offered herself the luxury
      of beating several disco masters on their own territory, with
      "GÈnÈration 78" - France's first ever video clip - "«a me fait rÍver"
      and later "Monday Tuesday". An avant-garde show woman dressed in
      gorgeous sequin dresses slit up to her hip, forging ahead on her
      performance at Carnegie Hall in New York, Dalida started taking a
      resounding turn.

      ~~~~~~
      337: 3 Juli 2006
      ~~~~~~

      "don't look for tragedy / it's right here where you left it."
      o Steve Dalachinsky.

      Tapes > Faust
      Adios > Harmonicats
      I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire > Hepcats
      Kaspartransport mit Einmischung des Herrn Cowboy > Niobe
      Tapes > Faust
      The Body That They Built to Fit the Car > Blurt
      U & Dem > Seven Dub vs Paul St. Hilaire
      Tapes > Faust
      Neptune > Soul Pride
      Psyche & Trim > Lee Scratch Perry
      Feeling You & Me > DJ Food vs Sukia
      A Tale of Krishna > Steve Dalachinsky
      Drunk Trumpet > Kid Koala
      Tapping the Reed > Steve Dalachinsky
      In the Book of Ice #4-5 > Steve Dalachinsky + Thurston Moore
      No Mind > Happy Campers
      When Lenny Meets Lorca > Legendary Pink Dots
      Message From Space Mountain 1/2 > Rothkamm
      + Stadsnomade > Diana Ozon
      Sphinx > Toyah
      + City Breakers > Up, Bustle & Out
      I Heard a Song > Sammy Davis Jr.
      Paramo's Ghost > Up, Bustle & Out
      Chant d'Amour > The Hmong
      Le Pont Mirabeau > Guillaume Apollinaire
      When Elephants Roost in Bamboo Trees > Hepcats
      Easy Listening Gin & Juice > Snoop Dug Out

      o No headphones, no cue, no set up at home. Kind of deafly [if not
      deftly] feeling my way through a studio that always leaves you
      guessing. It's like a Dada version of an IQ test week in week out. If
      the surprising nature of its mysterious technical glitches, missing
      headphones, misplaced CDs, dull phonograph needles, cassette decks
      that screech and run at a speed not known by any earthly tape
      recorder, scratchy skipping cds, cd players that do not read certain
      'types' of cds, no indication of sound levels or of what is actually
      being broadcast until you ask one of the online listeners how it
      sounds there - usually fine, you keep going although you wonder if
      the 'myth of sysiphus is really a myth or some kind of alternative
      realityŠ

      o Meanwhile, the proto-rockin jivists, the Hepcats, are growing on
      me. Thanx DrDr Jazz for that 3-CD set. Up Bustle & Out [Echo Beach]
      continues to impress as one of the best of 2006 combining
      globe-combing ethnomusicology with ninja tune beats and subversive
      inclinations. I played a lot of good poets today by chance:
      Apollinaire, Ozon, Dalachinsky, LS Perry and Ted MiltonŠ

      o Dalida was an Egyptian-born singer, of Italian parents, who became
      a world famous chanteuse especially in France . She grew up the
      daughter of an opera violinist. She took singing lessons and in 1954
      she won the Miss Egypt beauty contest and immediately left for Paris,
      to pursue her muse in the cinema and music in music halls and
      cabarets, singing in French, Italian, Arabic and other languages inc.
      German. Her second single "Bambino"[1956] brought her to the
      attention of a broad public. In 1957, she appeared at the Paris
      Olympia as the opening act for Charles Aznavour and later the same
      year for Gilbert Bécaud. Dalida recorded 500 French songs, 200 of
      which were translated into Italian, and 300 into other languages. She
      sold over 150 million albums world-wide and had 70 gold records.

      Despite her fame and talents, her personal life was difficult -
      reminding some of Judy Garland - tragic. When she left her first
      husband for a painter he ended up committing suicide with a gun. Her
      new Italian lover and singer, Luigi Tenco also took his own life and
      Dalida then attempted suicide for the first time. She began cavorting
      with the flamboyant Comte de St Germain until he too committed
      suicide in July 1983. She recovered from all these tragedies and
      evolved from a chanteuse to do pop and euro-rock and roll and even
      psychedelic garage rock eventually emerging as a full-fledged disco
      star, scoring the first-ever disco hit in France. She also went onto
      record a long list of new-wavish type songs as well. But she drifted
      in and out of soul-searching traveling to Nepal and studying Hinduism.

      On May 3, 1987 Dalida died as a result of an overdose of sleeping
      pills leaving behind a suicide note that said: "Life has become
      unbearable ... forgive me."

      Dalida is buried in the Cimetière de Montmartre, Paris, her gilded
      life-size statue marks her plot not far from where she lived and
      where I passed by the little bronze plaque marking the place where
      she spent her last years. In 1997, the corner of the rues Girardon
      and Abreuvoir in the Butte Montmartre in Paris was inaugurated as
      "Place Dalida" and a life-size bust to her memory was erected at that
      location. In 2001, the French government honored her memory with a
      postage stamp. The weird thing was in all the time I lived there,
      passed by there, moved on and I never ever was interested to listen
      to her music, then in paris, after in NY until now although her
      image, her portrait did come back to me from time to time. Weird: it
      was as if the collective memory of others and my sometime being
      reminded of how she died was enough.

      o Special on Dutch TV on Tianamen Square, particularly focusing on
      what happened to the "tank man", the man who stopped the Chinese
      tanks by standing in front of them. He has never been heard from
      since. Speculation ranges from execution to him being whisked away by
      sympathists and that he remains in hiding. Another part of the
      documentary dealt with contemporary awareness by young students in
      college in China. A range of students were shown pix of Tianamen
      Square events and not a single student had any idea of what they were
      looking at. One student said with a smile, "Is this an art work?" The
      show then went on to a more insidious aspect of China and its
      influence on the biggest IT companies in the world: Yahoo, Microsoft,
      Cisco Systems and Google have all agreed to censor their services and
      information that Chinese people can access. They have all made pacts
      with the devil offering censorship for business deals. Google execs
      claim they did not have a choice. Meanwhile, Yahoo and cisco have
      gone even further, offering to cooperate with Chinese authorities by
      thus far turning in one activist who broke the law when he tried to
      pass on information to people in China.

      ~~~~~~
      338: 10 Juli 2006 / 17.00-19.00
      ~~~~~~

      The trouble with the world is that the stupid are
      cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt
      * Bertrand Russell

      Grand Surface Noise Opera No. 7: the Decadent Opera > Crawling With Tarts
      Doorways 4 > Kyron
      Grand Surface Noise Opera No. 7: the Decadent Opera > Crawling With Tarts
      Cex remix I Forgot to Finish > Kid 606
      Grand Surface Noise Opera No. 7: the Decadent Opera > Crawling With Tarts
      Pregnant Cheerleader Theme Song > Kid 606
      Grand Surface Noise Opera No. 7: the Decadent Opera > Crawling With Tarts
      Intro > Rogue State
      Rogue State > Rogue State
      Lump of Clay > Stars Like Fleas
      Doorways 6 > Kyron
      Belleville Dub > Rogue State
      Grand Surface Noise Opera No. 7: the Decadent Opera > Crawling With Tarts
      Its Hurts! > Burnt Friedman
      Doorways 13 > Kyron
      We Remain Faded > Headphone Science
      Roots > Mark Verbos
      So Hungry So Angry > Medium Medium
      Im Alpenhob > Totschna
      Soundroam Halifax > Eleanor King & Stephen Kelly
      Distribution and Status of Small Green Birds > K. Leimer
      Sufi Inca > Fundamental
      Haitian Fighting Song [Mingus] > Hungry March Band
      Degi Degi > Don Cherry
      Soul Sausages > Boyko, Duncan & Martin
      Favorite Things > Negativland
      It's All in Your head FM > Negativland

      o In my novel, Beer Mystic, a man puts out streetlights in order to
      bring back the night. I talso deals with heliotropic nuts, sun
      fanatics, tanners extraordinaire - with discussions ensuing as to
      what is better for a human: no sun, some sun, a lot of sun, never
      enough sun. A new report by WHO notes that over exposure to the sun
      kills 60,000 [too much ultraviolet] annually. Altho, on the other
      end, we don't know how many people do away with themselves from the
      psychological debilitating effects of under-exposure to sunlight -
      see Finland, Alaska and the rates of severe depression up there
      compared to other more normally lit countriesŠ

      o I read about a similar incident not long ago where a woman
      somewhere in the US swallowed her mobile phone to prevent her partner
      from reading her messages. And now there is a story about a woman in
      Missouri [what, it's not in Florida where all crazy American stories
      sometimes seem to emanate from] who was forced to swallow her by her
      jealous boyfriend. Altho the man's lawyer claims she swallowed the
      phone herself to avoid having her phone calls monitored by the
      boyfriend. Upon removal of the phone in a hospital she said something
      like if I wanted to prevent him from reading my messages I would have
      just thrown the phone out the window.

      o You read about the man arrested for singing a Clash song in a
      London taxi on the way to the airport well now a British man has been
      arrested for citing George Orwell in public under a kind of British
      equivalent of the Patriot Act that is supposed to handle suspicious
      terrorist like activities. He supposedly was carrying a placard near
      a Whitehall UK government office with a text by Orwell that stated:
      "In a time of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary
      act".

      o the Rolling Stones are touring and anyone who thinks these guys are
      cool are in for a surprise. They not only have their own goon squad
      busting people for selling unlicensed [tongue corp. logo] goods but
      they are now in the middle of the most lucrative r&r tour in the
      history of rock of music of mankind. Something like the equivalent of
      the GNP of 10 nations in Africa. Did I hear something like $150
      million? No wonder: ticket prices range from 79 to 150+ euros per
      ticket.

      o One aspect of pop music [some still call it rock and roll!] that I
      am understanding less and less is the fascination with guitar bands.
      It's a kind of retro nostalgia for Beatlemania, for the 60s, the 70s
      when guitars could destroy entire nations, reputations. What have
      you. And now the Brits are doing what they do best - not necessarily
      rock [although they've done some] but hype, hype the next best thing
      to actually making good music. The Arctic Monkeys, the Kaiser Chiefs.
      I don't there is a load of other ones with coifs of carefully
      sculptured insouciant disarray and sounds and vocals that resemble
      the best wannabe poser bands from the 80s. The sound is uncatchy
      [from pop standpoint], uninteresting [from a point of view of
      progressive electronic and adventurous sound] and just plain boring
      [from the Stooges standpoint of DOING something, exploding something,
      destroying something]. Wankin' product placement for white people
      while rap continues its slide into a hedonistic tautology where
      street rappers on the level of 50 cent procclaim their affinity and
      solidarity with George Bush.

      Notes on other Patapoe audionauts & nuts:
      o Jonges v/d Vlakte [Boys from the Plains]: "De cottonpickin' Jongens
      Mondays @ PTP

      o Dr. Doo Wop is one of the most eccentric and stimulating radio
      shows anywhere. Sartre, DeSade, Doo Wop and music from the gonads.
      Now on Radio Patapoe on Sunday 17.00-18.00 Amsterdam time

      o Chaos K is back at the spot just before mine, 15-17 Mondays. K.
      presents punk and activism.

      o Radio Antarctica is in temporary exile in the UK. Expect periodic
      patriotic broadcasts to rouse the troops on the mainland.

      o Super Nova is a big potpourri of sounds influences and information
      both local and elsewhere. Can you picture a sound? On Sundays
      18.00-20.00.

      o Wildcat Radio: Anarchist organization presents radio as it should
      be - in your ear. Saturdays 18.00-20.00.

      o De Oktoskoop: Kinderen/kid/children/rugrats and other visionaries.
      Sat. 11.30-13.30

      o POLYPHAKE PLAPPERLAPAPP: "polyphone audioerosion featuring
      occasional beatweirdniks in an plaperlappap assemblage hosted by
      F.Fiasko 22:30-?? Wednesdays

      o Radio Worm: Rotterdam-based radio collective presents inventive
      programming to baffle all preconceptions. Midnight Sundays and in
      autopilot rotation.

      o HET PROGRAMMA: industrial lounge for collapsing people. Tuesdays 21:00

      ~~~~
      * new home of Amsterdam's Radio Vrije Keyser: 89.6 FM
      * Radio Tonka, The Hague's 10-year-old free radio <www.radiotonka.nl/>
      * Radio Wanklank 90.9 FM, free radio in Wageningen <www.wanklank.nl>
      * Wreck This Mess-Paris @ Radio Libertaire, Paris 89.4
      <http://dune2.info:5000/radiolib.m3u> on Tuesdays 12:30-14:30
      * Black Sifichi / Audiometric is broadcast on: Aligre FM / 93.1 Paris
      (sat 22.30 - sun 7:00) http://www.aligrefm.org
      Eko Des Garrigues 88.5 FM Montpellier ( 19h - 22h)
      http://www.ekodesgarrigues.com
      RTF 95.4 FM Limoges (wed 21h-23h) http://www.rtflimoges.com)

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Dina Appeldoornstraat 11-3
      1076 AX Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 2500± READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK*
      o Old playlists archived at <http://www.wfmu.org/~bart/
      o Selected Playlists at http://www.romanapoli.com/black/wreckthismess.html
      o Someday: <http://wreckthismess.com/>
      o Check out NEW excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete
      on Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/>