UTECH RECORDS: February Transmission

  • Keith Utech
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2006
      FEBRUARY TRANSMISSION <www.utechrecords.com>

      NEWS:
      Thanks to Derek Taylor at Bagatellen for writing a fantastic piece on the
      label, the music and what it's all about
      <http://www.bagatellen.com/archives/reviews/001169.html>

      The UTECH updates:

      TETUZI AKIYAMA "Striking Another Match" [027] $11
      Tetuzi Akiyama has been liberating live recordings from his personal archive
      and this recording represents the second such release to hit this year - the
      first being the exceptional "Terrifying Street Trees" on Esquilo. Taken
      directly from analog cassette, "Striking Another Match" showcases Tetuzi's
      desolate and splintered blues guitar improvisation. As this is an "official
      bootleg", a decision was made by the artist and label to keep the sound as
      true as possible to what was captured on the source tape. Yes, this is a
      nice way of saying that there are rough spots, low levels and tape hiss.
      Some will find this endearing and some will not. Please listen to the sample
      on the website if you are unsure. This is the acoustic set from a
      performance in Tokyo at Loopline, 4/16/05. The electric set from this date
      is still in the vaults. Hand assembled and numbered edition of 200 cdr. Look
      for a US tour to start on the west coast this summer.

      SINISTRI "Timing the 183k Pulse" [028] $11
      The title refers to the basic direction Sinistri (and friends) were
      following during a
      spontaneous performance recorded 8/21/05. In their words,
      it was a
      search for a nonmetric way to improvise around a given sampled
      bass
      vamp (183.000 digital samples in a buffer,
      hence 183K) continously
      re-segmented while played live. Sinistri's nonmetric music is a style of
      music in which context the notion of a beat is replaced with that of pulse
      and music development becomes an art of shape-shifting. Hand assembled and
      numbered edition of 200 cdr.

      TRIAGE "Stagger" [031-A/031-B] $16
      Dave Rempis, Jason Ajemian and Tim Daisy. A beautiful double release
      documenting the Chicago trio's 2004 tour of the east coast. Recorded in
      Syracuse, NY, 9/5/04. These sets highlight songs from "American Mythology"
      and "Twenty Minute Cliff" among others. It may be a while before we hear
      anything new from Triage, so don't hesitate to pick this up. Hand assembled
      and numbered edition of 200 cdr. A big thank you to Michael Hentz
      from New Thing Productions who organized the performance and kickstarted the
      release.

      New to the STORE:

      MOHA! "Raus Aus Stavanger" Rune Grammofon CD; 2006 [RCD-2049] $16
      Duo of guitarist Anders Hana (23) and longtime friend and musical
      collaborator, drummer Morten J. Olsen (24). Anders is also a member of Jaga,
      Noxagt, Ultralyd and Ingebrigt Flaten Quintet while Morten is a member of
      Ultralyd and have played with a number of improvisers, including Axel
      Dörner, Fred Frith and the late Steve Lacy. As a duo they have also released
      two very limited cdrs. "Raus Aus Stavanger" was recorded in the analogue
      heaven of Athletic Sound, home of great sounding releases from Supersilent
      and Scorch Trio. "Raus Aus Stavanger" was recorded live in the studio with
      no overdubs, showing two young musicians at a very high level of control,
      communication and creative powers, the music being a powerful mix of high
      energy improv, slowburning drone riffing and detailed electronics.

      IZITITIZ " With Our With Jazz" Conduit Creations/Sound@one Records LP; 2002
      [CC-2/S@1 59] $18
      The vinyl debut of IZITITIZ, a collective of extrememly active, but largely
      off the map NYC improvisers. Initially organized by Matt Heyner of TEST and
      No-neck Blues Band, the group has been active on the roofs, in the
      clubs/theaters and on the boats in and around the city since the early 21st
      century. High energy ecstatic ascensions, peaceful floating melodies and
      unique oddities not easily described. Recorded at ABC NO RIO and the
      Hinthouse. Ras Moshe, Matt Heyner,Carter Thornton, Jessie Wallace, James
      Duncan. Released 6/15/02. Limited to a pressing of 500. Vinyl only.
      Beautiful silk screened cover. I have a few available.

      RAS MOSHE "INTO THE OPENNESS" Music Now Productions CD; 2003 $10
      If you're looking to hear some pre-Utech sounds from Ras Moshe/Music Now
      Unit this is it. Includes performances by Ras Moshe, Matt Lavelle, Matt
      Heyner, Todd Nicholson and Jackson Krall.

      Back in STOCK:

      THE SKULL DEFEKTS "Rotating Feedback & Save the Skulls" CD [iDEAL036/AA05]
      $16
      Represented here by Henrik Rylander & Joachim Nordwall. Intense noise and
      rhythmical hypnotic sounds with heavy drones. "Rotating Feedback & Save The
      Skulls" is a 40+ minute drone straight out of the dark depths. This is
      monotonous math rock and advanced noise experiments at its best. Recorded at
      Studio Dental, Gothenburg, in autumn 2005. Limited edition of 200
      hand-numbered copies and presented in a georgeous folder.
    • Keira Sinclair
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 14, 2006
        Hi Keith
        I am Head of Music at Fresh Air (Edinburgh student radio) and was wondering
        if you would consider sending me some of the Utech output. I'll put what I
        can on the playlist but it will most likely also get played on my show -
        experimental/improv/ambient type show called For Wild Music.
        If you need some more info then let me know
        Best
        Keira