New reviews at Groovesmag.com this week

  • Sean Portnoy
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 29, 2005
      Brendan Anderegg - Falling Air (Psych-O-Path)

      The Birds - Birds Birds Birds in the World (Important)

      Hot Roddy - Crust Mantle Core - (Spirit of Gravity)

      Kiss Me Deadly - Misty Melody (Alien 8)

      Lokai - 7 Million (Mosz)

      Julien Ottavi and Dion Workman - Misenlian (Erstwhile)

      Shadow Huntaz - Valley of the Shadow (Skam)

      Somatic Responses - Pounded Mass (Hymen)

      Alexander Tucker - Old Fog (ATP)

      Various Artists - Adjunct Volumes One & Two -
      (Adjunct)

      Various Artists - Glass Cuts: Philip Glass Remixed
      (Orange Mountain Music)

      Various Artists - Immediate Action 9 (Hefty)

      check them out at http://www.groovesmag.com/reviews.php
    • Sean Portnoy
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 9, 2006
        Chris Brown - Rogue Wave (Tzadik)
        Dead Hollywood Stars - Smoke and Mirrors (Hymen)
        Jackson and His Computer Band - Smash (Warp)
        Eliot Lipp - Immediate Action 10 (Hefty)
        Monos - Generators (Die Stadt)
        Pulseprogramming - Tulsa for One Second Remix Project
        (Aesthetics)
        r - Under the Cables, Into the Wind (Important)
        Various Artists - Adjunct Volumes One and Two
        (Adjunct)
        Vorpal - An Incomplete Guide to Vorpal Music (Cock
        Rock Disco)

        check them out at
        http://www.groovesmag.com/reviews.php

        thanks, sean
        groovesmag.com
      • Sean Portnoy
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 18, 2006
          Check them out at
          http://www.groovesmag.com/reviews.php

          OOIOO - Gold and Green (Thrill Jockey)
          Boduf Songs - Boduf Songs (Kranky)
          Heartthrob - Time for Ensor (Minus)
          Jan Jelinek - Kosmischer Pitch (~scape)
          Paul Kalkbrenner - Tatu-Tata/The MFA - Zone Day
          (Bpitch Control)
          Bruno Pronsato - Wuorinen and Live in Cascadia/Mossa -
          Slavery When Wet and Gastrula (Orac)
          Prurient - Black Vase (Load)
          Satanicpornocultshop - Zap Meemees/Yuko Nexus6 -
          Songbook (Sonore)
          Sybarite - Dolorous Echo and the Mast/Aranos - No
          Religion and Spitting Revivalist Dreams of Everlasting
          Pain (Brainwashed)</a>
          Various Artists - Solid Steel Present DJ Kentaro: On
          the Wheels of Solid Steel (Ninja Tune)
        • Sean Portnoy
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 27, 2006
            check them out at
            http://www.groovesmag.com/reviews.php

            Braun and the Mob - As the Veneer of Dumbness Starts
            to Fade (Nonplace)
            DJ Scotch Egg - KFC Core (Adaadat)
            Andrew Duke - Dead Air Alive (Petite Sono)
            Carlos Giffoni - Welcome Home (Important)
            Felix Laband - Dark Days Exit (Compost)
            Latinsizer - Live at MUTEK.MX (Mil)
            Mace - Circulations (Sub Rosa)
            Markant - Feedback (Markant)
            Meat Beat Manifesto - At the Center (Thirsty Ear)
            Pest - All-Out Fall Out (Ninja Tune)
            Andy Vaz - People Inside/-Outside (Persistencebit),
            Soundvariation 8-8 ([---])

            ---------------------------
            And coming next week (hopefully):
            Grooves Digital Issue 1 (a.k.a. issue 19)
            Featuring:
            Coldcut
            Kaffe Matthews
            Murcof
            Sutekh
            Philip Samartzis
            Andy Vaz
            and more

            The issue is free!
          • gary steel
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 27, 2006
              Hey Sean,
              If you're ever short of reviews, please do let me know because I'm
              constantly writing them for several New Zealand publications, and I've
              generally got a surplus.
              See my latest column below for NZ mag Real Groove.
              Regards,
              Gary Steel

              Sonic Futures

              Electronica by Gary Steel

              A mouth is giving birth to a fist on the cover of the new Confutatis
              album, Built In Anger (AI). The cover might pass for a Norwegian death
              metal outing, and the name suggests, at the very least, something a
              little nasty. Just to spoil one’s preconceptions, Built In Anger is a
              deep, detailed if downcast album of highly calibrated electronic music.
              While some groups of lily-livered cowards are retreating from pure
              electronics to a safety zone of ‘real’ instruments and nostalgic tones,
              those of the ilk of Confutatis (aka Bernhard Pucher) have heroically
              stuck to their guns, and instead have just chosen to delve more deeply
              into the thrilling oscillations of the electronic sound world. This is
              one for fans of sound itself, primarily for its ability to thrill the
              human ear on its own merits, and without any redundant cultural
              associations; it’s also an album that very cleverly, and with the sonic
              precision of laser surgery, maps out an emotional zone that becomes
              more stated as the album progresses through its eleven killer tracks.
              As with much of the best electronic music over the past decade, it’s
              the skill with which the beats are constructed that tells most of the
              story. ‘Beats’ here don’t just mean plodding rhythm checkers, as in the
              majority of mainstream house and techno ass-movers. We’re talking
              multiple layers of beats, with endless audio tweakage.
              Every now and then, this record threatens to join the dancefloor. While
              thuddering techno beats bang away, however, the other elements remain
              emotionally and musically complex. The layers of percussion have their
              own sounds, textures, and beat-divisions, all of them recorded and
              mastered to bring maximum pleasure to those who’ve bothered to invest
              in a top-notch hi-fi.
              These are pieces with a few recognisable instruments brought in from
              time to time to fuck up your head. On ‘Faith’, there’s an incredibly
              velvety, rich-sounding sax that’s gone through some extreme audio
              post-production. On ‘Just Ask’, there’s some almost-Floydian keyboard
              textures, but these are given an extreme stereo-panning treatment that
              would undoubtedly bring back the ‘60s in your head (had you been old
              enough to experience them in the first place). Strange mutant
              double-bass is used sparingly. Voices are also used on four tracks,
              mostly as a crazed narrative device, and usually cybernetically
              altered.
              Though it fails to carry its momentum through to its dying grooves (the
              last few tracks reject the earlier atmosphere for crunchy beats and a
              more extreme sonic palette) Built In Anger is an alarmingly good piece
              of work.
              (Also previously known as Brian Aneurysm and Echopilot, Bernhard Pucher
              as Confutatis can be found at airecords.com).
              Equally essential is Details (Kitty-Yo) by Richard Davis. While
              everyone and his mutt is trying to recover the spirit of Joy Division
              by aping their sound, Davis gets closer (ha-ha) by being a miserable
              git on his own unique terms.
              An overwhelmingly electronic album with vocals – still a relatively
              rare beast – Details starts out miserable (leaving his girlfriend) and
              ends up suicidal. Why, then, is it so enjoyable? Most probably because
              musically, it’s astonishing, and there’s an ambiguity and complexity to
              the music and the lyrics that means the record’s never simply a
              misery-fest.
              Lyrically, Details seems like it’s almost an apology for living; even
              when he’s dissing girlfriends it seems like he’s really covertly
              apologising, and mostly the words seem like a diary of emptiness which
              is remarkably free of ‘pity-me’ sentiments.
              Musically, the beats on these songs are augmented by judiciously-chosen
              and perfectly executed wheezing accordions, drawing-room piano,
              mournful cellos, pretty adulterated guitar, and ambient organ
              swellings.
              Working like a particularly deadly Piha rip against the smooth ambient
              waves are the beats, which are defiantly clubby. No, not unrelentingly
              – they know when to curtail their onward-thrusting oonst – but they
              certainly create an interesting dilemma for the listener.
              Personally, a bit of oonst is no barrier to musical pleasure if the
              music is good enough to support the beat-monotony. (Anyone see the Pet
              Shop Boys at Live8? They rocked!) The first time I listened to Details,
              I thought the beats intruded too stridently into the ruminative
              intimacy of the work, but over time, the contrast has become addictive.
              Check out ‘World Disappears’ or ‘Sometime’ if you want an entrée. The
              first has got a drugged feeling to match its lyric (“I sit back, as the
              world disappears/And I’m never coming down”), while the second can only
              be described as drug-fucked. Highly recommended.
              (Richard Davis, formerly known as a member of Swayzak, can be found at
              kitty-yo.com).
              The 13th album by ass-clenched funk genius Thomas Brinkmann will sound
              too mechanically ‘techno’ for many electronic fans, and far too weird
              for most conservative techno fans. Which is a pity, because nothing
              sounds quite like a good Brinkmann. Though stylistically similar, every
              subsequent Thomas Brinkmann album is a slight advance on the previous,
              and has its share of truly deviant, twisted moments. Lucky Hands (Max
              Ernst) has all the expected fingerprints (the odd, askew rhythms, the
              almost maniacal staunchness of club music for people who hate
              clubbing). Humour breaks through occasionally, most notably in that
              famous riff from ‘In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida’ (‘Work’), and his end-piece disco
              remix of an ancient Django Reinhardt jazz tune (‘Charleston’). A
              novelty for fans will be the inclusion of four tracks featuring
              vocalist Tusia Beridze, whose lyrics are simply bizarre; a Morrissey
              cover lets the side down a little.
              (Thomas Brinkman’s own label is at max-ernst.de).
              Escaping alternative oonst territory altogether, let’s turn our ears
              onto Malcom Kipe’s Breakspiracy Theories (Merck). Swinging on more of
              less the same jungle vines as Prefuse 73 and (more specifically)
              Daedelus, this album’s mandate seems to have been a determination to go
              absolutely nuts with turntables and samples. The result might lack a
              little cohesion and flow at times, but makes up for it by choosing the
              most surprising combinations of crazy shit and the oddest
              juxtapositions I’ve heard in some time. It’s a massively entertaining
              record, despite the fact that this sprawling mess hasn’t yet quite
              convinced my brain to even try to make sense of its silliness. Though
              I’m always a little dubious of someone whose stock in trade is the
              wholesale plunder of old vinyl (a couple of tracks sound like straight
              steals from crackly old easy listening albums) mostly it’s cut-up shit
              that really works, despite the fact that I don’t quite understand what
              it’s all about.
              (Malcom Kipe - aka Skyler McGlothlin - is apparently an Austin,
              USA-based producer who has recorded under the Nautilus name for the
              Planet-Mu label. He can be found at malcomkipe.com).
              Note: This month’s column is collects together some notable releases we
              neglected to review when they first came out in ’05.

              Top 5

              Skipsapiens – Eco
              Nine Horses – Snow Borne Sorrow
              AM/PM – The Ends I & II
              The Toybox – Acoustic YMO
              Judith Juillerat – Soliloquy

              Classic

              The Associates - The Affectionate Punch (reissue, Universal)

              [1164 words]

              On 28/01/2006, at 4:47 AM, Sean Portnoy wrote:

              > check them out at
              > http://www.groovesmag.com/reviews.php
              >
              > Braun and the Mob - As the Veneer of Dumbness Starts
              > to Fade (Nonplace)
              > DJ Scotch Egg - KFC Core (Adaadat)
              > Andrew Duke - Dead Air Alive (Petite Sono)
              > Carlos Giffoni - Welcome Home (Important)
              > Felix Laband - Dark Days Exit (Compost)
              > Latinsizer - Live at MUTEK.MX (Mil)
              > Mace - Circulations (Sub Rosa)
              > Markant - Feedback (Markant)
              > Meat Beat Manifesto - At the Center (Thirsty Ear)
              > Pest - All-Out Fall Out (Ninja Tune)
              > Andy Vaz - People Inside/-Outside (Persistencebit),
              > Soundvariation 8-8 ([---])
              >
              > ---------------------------
              > And coming next week (hopefully):
              > Grooves Digital Issue 1 (a.k.a. issue 19)
              > Featuring:
              > Coldcut
              > Kaffe Matthews
              > Murcof
              > Sutekh
              > Philip Samartzis
              > Andy Vaz
              > and more
              >
              > The issue is free!

              > ▪  Visit your group "thewire" on the web.

              > Service.

            • Sean Portnoy
              Message 6 of 7 , May 5, 2006
                AtomTM & Pink Elln--Live Volumes 2 & 3--Logistic
                Electric President--Electric President--Morr Music
                The Eternals--High Anxiety--Aesthetics
                Hans Fjellestad--Kobe Live House--Accretions
                Robin Fox & Clayton Thomas--Substation--Room40
                Glissandro 70--Glissandro 70--Constellation
                Isolee--The Western Store--Playhouse
                K-S.H.E--Routes Not Roots--Comatonse
                Pedro--Pedro--Mush

                check them out at http://www.groovesmag.com/reviews.php