New reviews at Groovesmag.com this week

  • Sean Portnoy
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 16, 2005
      Beck - Guerolito (Interscope)
      Eraldo Bernocchi and Harold Budd - Music for Fragments
      from the Inside (Sub Rosa)
      Eight Frozen Modules - Crumbling and Responding (G25
      Productions)
      Stephen James Knight - Everyone Is Beautiful to
      Someone (Thought Bludgeon)
      Metope - Kobol (Areal)
      Naw - Green Nights, Orange Days (Noise Factory)
      Elliot Perkins - Eurodac Express (Public Record)
      Secondo - The Night V4 (Dreck)
      Treva Whateva - Musics Made of Memories (Ninja Tune)
      Vend - Wiel (Line)

      check them out here: http://www.groovesmag.com/reviews.php
    • Sean Portnoy
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 29, 2005
        Brendan Anderegg - Falling Air (Psych-O-Path)

        The Birds - Birds Birds Birds in the World (Important)

        Hot Roddy - Crust Mantle Core - (Spirit of Gravity)

        Kiss Me Deadly - Misty Melody (Alien 8)

        Lokai - 7 Million (Mosz)

        Julien Ottavi and Dion Workman - Misenlian (Erstwhile)

        Shadow Huntaz - Valley of the Shadow (Skam)

        Somatic Responses - Pounded Mass (Hymen)

        Alexander Tucker - Old Fog (ATP)

        Various Artists - Adjunct Volumes One & Two -
        (Adjunct)

        Various Artists - Glass Cuts: Philip Glass Remixed
        (Orange Mountain Music)

        Various Artists - Immediate Action 9 (Hefty)

        check them out at http://www.groovesmag.com/reviews.php
      • Sean Portnoy
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 9, 2006
          Chris Brown - Rogue Wave (Tzadik)
          Dead Hollywood Stars - Smoke and Mirrors (Hymen)
          Jackson and His Computer Band - Smash (Warp)
          Eliot Lipp - Immediate Action 10 (Hefty)
          Monos - Generators (Die Stadt)
          Pulseprogramming - Tulsa for One Second Remix Project
          (Aesthetics)
          r - Under the Cables, Into the Wind (Important)
          Various Artists - Adjunct Volumes One and Two
          (Adjunct)
          Vorpal - An Incomplete Guide to Vorpal Music (Cock
          Rock Disco)

          check them out at
          http://www.groovesmag.com/reviews.php

          thanks, sean
          groovesmag.com
        • Sean Portnoy
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 18, 2006
            Check them out at
            http://www.groovesmag.com/reviews.php

            OOIOO - Gold and Green (Thrill Jockey)
            Boduf Songs - Boduf Songs (Kranky)
            Heartthrob - Time for Ensor (Minus)
            Jan Jelinek - Kosmischer Pitch (~scape)
            Paul Kalkbrenner - Tatu-Tata/The MFA - Zone Day
            (Bpitch Control)
            Bruno Pronsato - Wuorinen and Live in Cascadia/Mossa -
            Slavery When Wet and Gastrula (Orac)
            Prurient - Black Vase (Load)
            Satanicpornocultshop - Zap Meemees/Yuko Nexus6 -
            Songbook (Sonore)
            Sybarite - Dolorous Echo and the Mast/Aranos - No
            Religion and Spitting Revivalist Dreams of Everlasting
            Pain (Brainwashed)</a>
            Various Artists - Solid Steel Present DJ Kentaro: On
            the Wheels of Solid Steel (Ninja Tune)
          • Sean Portnoy
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 27, 2006
              check them out at
              http://www.groovesmag.com/reviews.php

              Braun and the Mob - As the Veneer of Dumbness Starts
              to Fade (Nonplace)
              DJ Scotch Egg - KFC Core (Adaadat)
              Andrew Duke - Dead Air Alive (Petite Sono)
              Carlos Giffoni - Welcome Home (Important)
              Felix Laband - Dark Days Exit (Compost)
              Latinsizer - Live at MUTEK.MX (Mil)
              Mace - Circulations (Sub Rosa)
              Markant - Feedback (Markant)
              Meat Beat Manifesto - At the Center (Thirsty Ear)
              Pest - All-Out Fall Out (Ninja Tune)
              Andy Vaz - People Inside/-Outside (Persistencebit),
              Soundvariation 8-8 ([---])

              ---------------------------
              And coming next week (hopefully):
              Grooves Digital Issue 1 (a.k.a. issue 19)
              Featuring:
              Coldcut
              Kaffe Matthews
              Murcof
              Sutekh
              Philip Samartzis
              Andy Vaz
              and more

              The issue is free!
            • gary steel
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 27, 2006
                Hey Sean,
                If you're ever short of reviews, please do let me know because I'm
                constantly writing them for several New Zealand publications, and I've
                generally got a surplus.
                See my latest column below for NZ mag Real Groove.
                Regards,
                Gary Steel

                Sonic Futures

                Electronica by Gary Steel

                A mouth is giving birth to a fist on the cover of the new Confutatis
                album, Built In Anger (AI). The cover might pass for a Norwegian death
                metal outing, and the name suggests, at the very least, something a
                little nasty. Just to spoil one’s preconceptions, Built In Anger is a
                deep, detailed if downcast album of highly calibrated electronic music.
                While some groups of lily-livered cowards are retreating from pure
                electronics to a safety zone of ‘real’ instruments and nostalgic tones,
                those of the ilk of Confutatis (aka Bernhard Pucher) have heroically
                stuck to their guns, and instead have just chosen to delve more deeply
                into the thrilling oscillations of the electronic sound world. This is
                one for fans of sound itself, primarily for its ability to thrill the
                human ear on its own merits, and without any redundant cultural
                associations; it’s also an album that very cleverly, and with the sonic
                precision of laser surgery, maps out an emotional zone that becomes
                more stated as the album progresses through its eleven killer tracks.
                As with much of the best electronic music over the past decade, it’s
                the skill with which the beats are constructed that tells most of the
                story. ‘Beats’ here don’t just mean plodding rhythm checkers, as in the
                majority of mainstream house and techno ass-movers. We’re talking
                multiple layers of beats, with endless audio tweakage.
                Every now and then, this record threatens to join the dancefloor. While
                thuddering techno beats bang away, however, the other elements remain
                emotionally and musically complex. The layers of percussion have their
                own sounds, textures, and beat-divisions, all of them recorded and
                mastered to bring maximum pleasure to those who’ve bothered to invest
                in a top-notch hi-fi.
                These are pieces with a few recognisable instruments brought in from
                time to time to fuck up your head. On ‘Faith’, there’s an incredibly
                velvety, rich-sounding sax that’s gone through some extreme audio
                post-production. On ‘Just Ask’, there’s some almost-Floydian keyboard
                textures, but these are given an extreme stereo-panning treatment that
                would undoubtedly bring back the ‘60s in your head (had you been old
                enough to experience them in the first place). Strange mutant
                double-bass is used sparingly. Voices are also used on four tracks,
                mostly as a crazed narrative device, and usually cybernetically
                altered.
                Though it fails to carry its momentum through to its dying grooves (the
                last few tracks reject the earlier atmosphere for crunchy beats and a
                more extreme sonic palette) Built In Anger is an alarmingly good piece
                of work.
                (Also previously known as Brian Aneurysm and Echopilot, Bernhard Pucher
                as Confutatis can be found at airecords.com).
                Equally essential is Details (Kitty-Yo) by Richard Davis. While
                everyone and his mutt is trying to recover the spirit of Joy Division
                by aping their sound, Davis gets closer (ha-ha) by being a miserable
                git on his own unique terms.
                An overwhelmingly electronic album with vocals – still a relatively
                rare beast – Details starts out miserable (leaving his girlfriend) and
                ends up suicidal. Why, then, is it so enjoyable? Most probably because
                musically, it’s astonishing, and there’s an ambiguity and complexity to
                the music and the lyrics that means the record’s never simply a
                misery-fest.
                Lyrically, Details seems like it’s almost an apology for living; even
                when he’s dissing girlfriends it seems like he’s really covertly
                apologising, and mostly the words seem like a diary of emptiness which
                is remarkably free of ‘pity-me’ sentiments.
                Musically, the beats on these songs are augmented by judiciously-chosen
                and perfectly executed wheezing accordions, drawing-room piano,
                mournful cellos, pretty adulterated guitar, and ambient organ
                swellings.
                Working like a particularly deadly Piha rip against the smooth ambient
                waves are the beats, which are defiantly clubby. No, not unrelentingly
                – they know when to curtail their onward-thrusting oonst – but they
                certainly create an interesting dilemma for the listener.
                Personally, a bit of oonst is no barrier to musical pleasure if the
                music is good enough to support the beat-monotony. (Anyone see the Pet
                Shop Boys at Live8? They rocked!) The first time I listened to Details,
                I thought the beats intruded too stridently into the ruminative
                intimacy of the work, but over time, the contrast has become addictive.
                Check out ‘World Disappears’ or ‘Sometime’ if you want an entrée. The
                first has got a drugged feeling to match its lyric (“I sit back, as the
                world disappears/And I’m never coming down”), while the second can only
                be described as drug-fucked. Highly recommended.
                (Richard Davis, formerly known as a member of Swayzak, can be found at
                kitty-yo.com).
                The 13th album by ass-clenched funk genius Thomas Brinkmann will sound
                too mechanically ‘techno’ for many electronic fans, and far too weird
                for most conservative techno fans. Which is a pity, because nothing
                sounds quite like a good Brinkmann. Though stylistically similar, every
                subsequent Thomas Brinkmann album is a slight advance on the previous,
                and has its share of truly deviant, twisted moments. Lucky Hands (Max
                Ernst) has all the expected fingerprints (the odd, askew rhythms, the
                almost maniacal staunchness of club music for people who hate
                clubbing). Humour breaks through occasionally, most notably in that
                famous riff from ‘In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida’ (‘Work’), and his end-piece disco
                remix of an ancient Django Reinhardt jazz tune (‘Charleston’). A
                novelty for fans will be the inclusion of four tracks featuring
                vocalist Tusia Beridze, whose lyrics are simply bizarre; a Morrissey
                cover lets the side down a little.
                (Thomas Brinkman’s own label is at max-ernst.de).
                Escaping alternative oonst territory altogether, let’s turn our ears
                onto Malcom Kipe’s Breakspiracy Theories (Merck). Swinging on more of
                less the same jungle vines as Prefuse 73 and (more specifically)
                Daedelus, this album’s mandate seems to have been a determination to go
                absolutely nuts with turntables and samples. The result might lack a
                little cohesion and flow at times, but makes up for it by choosing the
                most surprising combinations of crazy shit and the oddest
                juxtapositions I’ve heard in some time. It’s a massively entertaining
                record, despite the fact that this sprawling mess hasn’t yet quite
                convinced my brain to even try to make sense of its silliness. Though
                I’m always a little dubious of someone whose stock in trade is the
                wholesale plunder of old vinyl (a couple of tracks sound like straight
                steals from crackly old easy listening albums) mostly it’s cut-up shit
                that really works, despite the fact that I don’t quite understand what
                it’s all about.
                (Malcom Kipe - aka Skyler McGlothlin - is apparently an Austin,
                USA-based producer who has recorded under the Nautilus name for the
                Planet-Mu label. He can be found at malcomkipe.com).
                Note: This month’s column is collects together some notable releases we
                neglected to review when they first came out in ’05.

                Top 5

                Skipsapiens – Eco
                Nine Horses – Snow Borne Sorrow
                AM/PM – The Ends I & II
                The Toybox – Acoustic YMO
                Judith Juillerat – Soliloquy

                Classic

                The Associates - The Affectionate Punch (reissue, Universal)

                [1164 words]

                On 28/01/2006, at 4:47 AM, Sean Portnoy wrote:

                > check them out at
                > http://www.groovesmag.com/reviews.php
                >
                > Braun and the Mob - As the Veneer of Dumbness Starts
                > to Fade (Nonplace)
                > DJ Scotch Egg - KFC Core (Adaadat)
                > Andrew Duke - Dead Air Alive (Petite Sono)
                > Carlos Giffoni - Welcome Home (Important)
                > Felix Laband - Dark Days Exit (Compost)
                > Latinsizer - Live at MUTEK.MX (Mil)
                > Mace - Circulations (Sub Rosa)
                > Markant - Feedback (Markant)
                > Meat Beat Manifesto - At the Center (Thirsty Ear)
                > Pest - All-Out Fall Out (Ninja Tune)
                > Andy Vaz - People Inside/-Outside (Persistencebit),
                > Soundvariation 8-8 ([---])
                >
                > ---------------------------
                > And coming next week (hopefully):
                > Grooves Digital Issue 1 (a.k.a. issue 19)
                > Featuring:
                > Coldcut
                > Kaffe Matthews
                > Murcof
                > Sutekh
                > Philip Samartzis
                > Andy Vaz
                > and more
                >
                > The issue is free!

                > ▪  Visit your group "thewire" on the web.

                > Service.

              • Sean Portnoy
                Message 7 of 7 , May 5, 2006
                  AtomTM & Pink Elln--Live Volumes 2 & 3--Logistic
                  Electric President--Electric President--Morr Music
                  The Eternals--High Anxiety--Aesthetics
                  Hans Fjellestad--Kobe Live House--Accretions
                  Robin Fox & Clayton Thomas--Substation--Room40
                  Glissandro 70--Glissandro 70--Constellation
                  Isolee--The Western Store--Playhouse
                  K-S.H.E--Routes Not Roots--Comatonse
                  Pedro--Pedro--Mush

                  check them out at http://www.groovesmag.com/reviews.php