RE : Re: [thewire] Best of 2005

  • Vincent Bergeron
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 10, 2005
      Nice to see Kate Bush Aerial, my soft /mainstream album of the year too...

      1) Hella Church Gone Wild / Chirpin Hard & Homeboy EP

      Most exciting and unique noise-rock since Sonic Youth 'Daydream Nation' or 'Sister' to name an album more closely related. But it's not. This is already one of my fav of all times. Electroacoustic rock with numerous things in every track i thought were impossible to put on tape. Zach Hill is the most amazing drummer i have ever heard in my life! It's that simple. He needs only a few seconds to sound unlike anybody else. Unhuman playing that never gets egocentric either, he plays a lot with the sound of his instrument. Everybody is talking about Lightning Bolt which are mostly doing the same thing (this one boring thing) since years. They should be talking about Hella instead. What an evolution!! And Hill is so damn productive (on fire)...

      2) Fiery Furnaces - EP, Rehearsing My Choir

      This last is suppose to be harder to get into than Blueberry Boat, but my first listen was orgasmic so i don't know...More ideas, but less melodies though. It's an experience more than an album of songs. Perhaps it's the grandma voice that's trouble for so many listeners ? It sounds like a classicaly trained equivalent to Captain Beefheart, got to love that voice...

      3) Dälek - Absence

      Maybe not the most original rapping flow, but it's all about sound. The lyrics remain often really hard to grab. It's the most unfunky, unsoulful rap album i have ever heard (even compared to Clouddead first one). Everything sound like beautiful cerebral noise. This one is mostly for people who hate almost all hip-hop and love My Bloody Valentine, Sonic Youth, Glenn Branca and Lou Reed 'Metal Machine Music'. This said, i have difficulties to listen to these last two. This is a dream album for me, really exciting and much more coherent and dense than their previous albums...

      4) Animal Collective - Feels

      I didn't expect much. For me, Sung Tongs was a uneven album with only a few real great songs. Almost no sloooowww krautrock tradmarks here, more hyperactive electric odd pop, which is always good news for me...Maybe next album should be like the first two tracks all over ?

      5) Kate Bush - Aerial

      Well...the Björk of the 80's is back, doesn't sound like the 80's than so many useless revivals these days. Instead it sound like her...My fav one since the really different The Dreaming.

      6) Björk - DR9

      More Wire related than ever before ? Still got to see the movie to really understand the concept behind the music, but it shows that Björk doesn't need to sing to be a genius, not that i didn't know that already...So far from Debut! The stunner remind Hunter Vessel horns.

      7) Fantômas - Suspended Animation

      Perfect mix of the first two albums. I was not a big fan of the Delirium Cordia so that cut it for me. Less surprising than other albums on first listen, but with so many ideas in there, it's just keep getting better...

      8) Bob Drake - Shunned Country

      52 chansons in 42 minutes. The music remains close to the previous album. Horror stories with some of the best and most confusing lo-fi twists and turns. Love his acoustical guitar playing too.

      9) Dirty Projectors - Getty Adress

      Glitch opera pop with the really hard to follow Dave Longstreth vocals and a full orchestra. He really found his musical voice on that record i think. Before he sounded a bit like the not so bad Microphones. Björk could collaborate with him, that would be really great. Some parts remind me of Medúlla.

      10) Cerberus Shoal - The Land We All Believe In

      My fav album from them. More song oriented. Less concepts, more music...This is this music they should call freak-folk...

      Also, Synapse 'Raw', Vitamine Bleue 'Dans Les Dents' (this last one : Quebec band only starting out, but dangerously original..) should be mentionned, but since i always listen to the same records every year (with so many only once), a top 10 is enough for me.

      "Dissonance is a very philosophical concept - one man's dissonance may be another man's consonance!"

      Gershon Kingsley

      -------Vincent Bergeron-------
      http://www.critiquesdisques.com/
      vincent@...

      stuff1424@... a écrit : MU- Out Of Breach (Manchester's Revenge) OUTPUT CD
      KONONO NO.1- Congotronics CRAMMED DISCS CD
      FANTOMAS- Suspended Animation IPECAC CD
      ORTHRELM- Ov IPECAC CD
      THE BAD PLUS- Suspicious Activity? CD
      KATE BUSH- Aerial 2CD
      EXILE- Pro Agonist PLANET MU CD
      JACKSON & HIS COMPUTER BAND- Smash WARP RECORDS CD
      ARIEL PINK'S HAUNTED GRAFFITI- Worn Copy PAW CD
      DJ SCOTCH EGG!- KFC Core! ADAATAT CD

      Oh, and John Peel's Record Box...

      Rich.

      ---------------------------------

    • Keira Sinclair
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 12, 2005
        In no particular order:

        Birchville Cat Motel with Lee Ranaldo - 30th December 2004

        Directing Hand- A Old Soul At The Helm

        Double Leopards -Out Of One, Through One and To One

        Prince Fatty - The Best of Prince Fatty

        Can You Jack Vol 1 and 2 - Chicago Acid and Experimental House 1985-1995
        (Soul JAzz)

        Josephine Foster - Hazel Eyes, I Will Lead You

        Suishou No Fune - Suishou No Fune

        Murcof - Remembranza

        Coco Rosie - Noah's Ark

        An Anthology of Noise and Electronic Music 1-3 - Sub Rosa

        Older stuff, newly discovered..

        Poetry Out Loud - volume 6
        Charalambides - Our Bed Is Green
        Pauline Oliveros
        Shirley Collins
        Sun Ra
        No New York v/a
        Henri Chopin

        Singles
        Unknown - Hater (Various Production)
        Unknown - Too Lost In You (Various Production)
        The Bug feat Warrior Queen - Dem A Bomb (Ladybug)
        Loefah and Skream - 28g (Tectonic)
        ESG - Dance (White label)

        Merry Christmas!

        Keira