Best of 2005

  • jamello@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 9, 2005
      Care to give it a go?

      Fav ‘05 releases, in no order:
      Paavoharju – Yha Hamaraa
      Spoombung – I Saw Spoombung’s Sister Consumed by Kirby Dots
      Justus Kohncke – Doppellben
      Broadcast – Tender Buttons
      The Chap – Ham
      Richard Hawley – Coles Corner
      Mahjongg – Raydoncong 2005
      Gang Gang Dance – God’s Money
      Oneida – The Wedding
      LCD Soundsystem – s/t
      Kompakt Total 6
      The Fall – Fall Heads Roll
      DJ Small Change – Orientation
      DJ Small Change – Soundclash

      Second time around:
      The Stooges – Funhouse
      The Associates – The Affectionate Punch

      Better late than never:
      Stan Getz Quartet – Sweet Rain
      The Chap – The Horse
      Kev Hopper – Whispering Foils, Saurus
      Belbury Poly – The Willows

    • stuff1424@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 10, 2005
        MU- Out Of Breach (Manchester's Revenge) OUTPUT CD
        KONONO NO.1- Congotronics CRAMMED DISCS CD
        FANTOMAS- Suspended Animation IPECAC CD
        ORTHRELM- Ov IPECAC CD
        THE BAD PLUS- Suspicious Activity? CD
        KATE BUSH- Aerial 2CD
        EXILE- Pro Agonist PLANET MU CD
        JACKSON & HIS COMPUTER BAND- Smash WARP RECORDS CD
        ARIEL PINK'S HAUNTED GRAFFITI- Worn Copy PAW CD
        DJ SCOTCH EGG!- KFC Core! ADAATAT CD

        Oh, and John Peel's Record Box...

        Rich.

      • Andrew Cox
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 10, 2005
          Friday, December 9, 2005, 8:21:54 PM, jamello wrote:

          > Care to give it a go?

          Mitchell Akiyama: Mort Aux vaches
          Tod Dockstader: Aerial #1
          Pure Reason Revolution: The Bright Ambassadors Of Morning
          Of: The Buried Stream
          Shit And Shine: Ladybird
          Make a Change... Kill Yourself: s/t
          Murcof: Remembranza
          4G: Cloud
          Brendan Pollard: Expansion
          Sunn0))): Black1
          Boris with Merzbow: Sun Baked Snow Cave
          Loren Chasse: The Air In The Sand
          Lau Nau: Kuutarha
          Nadja: Truth Becomes Death
          Paavoharju: Yhä Hämärää
          Baikonour: For the Lonely Hearts of the Cosmos
        • Vincent Bergeron
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 10, 2005
            Nice to see Kate Bush Aerial, my soft /mainstream album of the year too...

            1) Hella Church Gone Wild / Chirpin Hard & Homeboy EP

            Most exciting and unique noise-rock since Sonic Youth 'Daydream Nation' or 'Sister' to name an album more closely related. But it's not. This is already one of my fav of all times. Electroacoustic rock with numerous things in every track i thought were impossible to put on tape. Zach Hill is the most amazing drummer i have ever heard in my life! It's that simple. He needs only a few seconds to sound unlike anybody else. Unhuman playing that never gets egocentric either, he plays a lot with the sound of his instrument. Everybody is talking about Lightning Bolt which are mostly doing the same thing (this one boring thing) since years. They should be talking about Hella instead. What an evolution!! And Hill is so damn productive (on fire)...

            2) Fiery Furnaces - EP, Rehearsing My Choir

            This last is suppose to be harder to get into than Blueberry Boat, but my first listen was orgasmic so i don't know...More ideas, but less melodies though. It's an experience more than an album of songs. Perhaps it's the grandma voice that's trouble for so many listeners ? It sounds like a classicaly trained equivalent to Captain Beefheart, got to love that voice...

            3) Dälek - Absence

            Maybe not the most original rapping flow, but it's all about sound. The lyrics remain often really hard to grab. It's the most unfunky, unsoulful rap album i have ever heard (even compared to Clouddead first one). Everything sound like beautiful cerebral noise. This one is mostly for people who hate almost all hip-hop and love My Bloody Valentine, Sonic Youth, Glenn Branca and Lou Reed 'Metal Machine Music'. This said, i have difficulties to listen to these last two. This is a dream album for me, really exciting and much more coherent and dense than their previous albums...

            4) Animal Collective - Feels

            I didn't expect much. For me, Sung Tongs was a uneven album with only a few real great songs. Almost no sloooowww krautrock tradmarks here, more hyperactive electric odd pop, which is always good news for me...Maybe next album should be like the first two tracks all over ?

            5) Kate Bush - Aerial

            Well...the Björk of the 80's is back, doesn't sound like the 80's than so many useless revivals these days. Instead it sound like her...My fav one since the really different The Dreaming.

            6) Björk - DR9

            More Wire related than ever before ? Still got to see the movie to really understand the concept behind the music, but it shows that Björk doesn't need to sing to be a genius, not that i didn't know that already...So far from Debut! The stunner remind Hunter Vessel horns.

            7) Fantômas - Suspended Animation

            Perfect mix of the first two albums. I was not a big fan of the Delirium Cordia so that cut it for me. Less surprising than other albums on first listen, but with so many ideas in there, it's just keep getting better...

            8) Bob Drake - Shunned Country

            52 chansons in 42 minutes. The music remains close to the previous album. Horror stories with some of the best and most confusing lo-fi twists and turns. Love his acoustical guitar playing too.

            9) Dirty Projectors - Getty Adress

            Glitch opera pop with the really hard to follow Dave Longstreth vocals and a full orchestra. He really found his musical voice on that record i think. Before he sounded a bit like the not so bad Microphones. Björk could collaborate with him, that would be really great. Some parts remind me of Medúlla.

            10) Cerberus Shoal - The Land We All Believe In

            My fav album from them. More song oriented. Less concepts, more music...This is this music they should call freak-folk...

            Also, Synapse 'Raw', Vitamine Bleue 'Dans Les Dents' (this last one : Quebec band only starting out, but dangerously original..) should be mentionned, but since i always listen to the same records every year (with so many only once), a top 10 is enough for me.

            "Dissonance is a very philosophical concept - one man's dissonance may be another man's consonance!"

            Gershon Kingsley

            -------Vincent Bergeron-------
            http://www.critiquesdisques.com/
            vincent@...

            stuff1424@... a écrit : MU- Out Of Breach (Manchester's Revenge) OUTPUT CD

            ---------------------------------

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 10, 2005
              Brings up a funny thought...Konono No. 1 and A. Pink's "Worn Copy" are
              examples of cds that I think I really like, yet hardly ever play. It's as if I
              understand why they are good and why I should like them -- and I do like them
              -- but they just never come down off the shelf. I seem to go through this all
              the time: chase down certain cds as soon as it comes out, and never think of
              trading/selling it...yet rarely pulling them off the shelf.

              Weird...maybe it's just me.

              In a message dated 12/10/2005 9:56:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              stuff1424@... writes:

              MU- Out Of Breach (Manchester's Revenge) OUTPUT CD
              KONONO NO.1- Congotronics CRAMMED DISCS CD
              FANTOMAS- Suspended Animation IPECAC CD
              ORTHRELM- Ov IPECAC CD
              THE BAD PLUS- Suspicious Activity? CD
              KATE BUSH- Aerial 2CD
              EXILE- Pro Agonist PLANET MU CD
              JACKSON & HIS COMPUTER BAND- Smash WARP RECORDS CD
              ARIEL PINK'S HAUNTED GRAFFITI- Worn Copy PAW CD
              DJ SCOTCH EGG!- KFC Core! ADAATAT CD

              Oh, and John Peel's Record Box...

              Rich.

              _Click Here!_ (http://us.click.yahoo.com/rG9bLB/dnQLAA/n1hLAA/nnJolB/TM)

            • brocoli label
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 11, 2005
                Pierre-Yves Macé : Circulations
                Sufjan Stevens : Illinoise
                Animal Collective : Feels
                Arcade Fire : Funeral
                Queens of the stone age : Lullabies to paralyze
                The Books : Lost and Safe
                Devendra Banhart : Cripple Crow
                Arvo Pärt : Lamentate
                Six organs of admittance : School of the flower
                Bonnie Prince Billy & Matt Sweeney : Superwolf
                C-Schulz : 5. Flicker Tunes
                That Summer : Clear
                Alvin Curran : Maritime rites
                Pierre Henry : Voyage initiatique
                M83 : before the dawn heals us
                Murcof : Remembranza
                Sigur Ros : Takk
                Thomas Köner : Nuuk
                Nurse with Wound : Echo poème vol.2
                Simon Fisher Turner : Lana Lara Lata

                and
                minizza : music for girls
                of course ;))

                --
                BROCOLI : demanding, yet catchy music!
                out now on brocoli : minizza - music for girls
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 12, 2005
                  Here's my list,

                  NEW
                  Animal Collective: Feels
                  Black Dice: Broken Ear Record
                  The Books: Lost and Safe
                  Brendan Murray: Resting Places
                  The Chap: Ham
                  The Lappetites: Before the Libretto
                  MEV & AMM: Apogee
                  BJ Nilsen/Stilluppsteypa...:Vikinga Brennivin
                  Studio Pankow: Linienbusse
                  The Juan Maclean: Less than Human
                  Stephen Vitello: Buffalo bass delay
                  Mouthus: Slow Globes
                  Monolake: Polygon Cities
                  Mazen Kerbaj: Brt Vrt Zrt Krt
                  Curtis Roads: Point Line Cloud

                  OLD
                  PIL: Metal box
                  Takayanagi Massayuki: Action Direct (this is an amazing cd!!)
                  Philip Jeck: Surf
                  Pauline Oliveros: Electronic wroks
                  Monoton: Monotonprodukt
                  Galo: Vent des Guitares
                  Sun Ra: Lanquidity
                  Alice Coltane: Universal Consciousness
                  Henry Flynt: Purified by Fire
                  The Pop Group: Y
                  Audio DaDa: Various in Pompidou exhibition.

                  My greatest musical joy this year came from discovering music from the (mostly recent) past. As we all know, very little music produced today has not been done before but this seems particularily true at the moment. Happy x-mas.......

                  brocoli label <promo@...> wrote:
[...]

                  Pop rock Alternative rock music World music Pop rock music Alternative

                • Keira Sinclair
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 12, 2005
                    In no particular order:

                    Birchville Cat Motel with Lee Ranaldo - 30th December 2004

                    Directing Hand- A Old Soul At The Helm

                    Double Leopards -Out Of One, Through One and To One

                    Prince Fatty - The Best of Prince Fatty

                    Can You Jack Vol 1 and 2 - Chicago Acid and Experimental House 1985-1995
                    (Soul JAzz)

                    Josephine Foster - Hazel Eyes, I Will Lead You

                    Suishou No Fune - Suishou No Fune

                    Murcof - Remembranza

                    Coco Rosie - Noah's Ark

                    An Anthology of Noise and Electronic Music 1-3 - Sub Rosa

                    Older stuff, newly discovered..

                    Poetry Out Loud - volume 6
                    Charalambides - Our Bed Is Green
                    Pauline Oliveros
                    Shirley Collins
                    Sun Ra
                    No New York v/a
                    Henri Chopin

                    Singles
                    Unknown - Hater (Various Production)
                    Unknown - Too Lost In You (Various Production)
                    The Bug feat Warrior Queen - Dem A Bomb (Ladybug)
                    Loefah and Skream - 28g (Tectonic)
                    ESG - Dance (White label)

                    Merry Christmas!

                    Keira