Wreck: The Train to Paris

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2005

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: 311: Train to a Burning Paris

      PTP in the ether: 88.3FM
      Where purity & puerility are synonymous
      streaming via internet:

      7 November 2005 / 16.45-19.00

      "Society must be defended against order. "
      * Yann Moulier-Boutang, Le Manifeste

      Natraj > If, Bwana vs Al Margolis [1]
      Gare du Nord / How Was It For You? > Gare du Nord [2]
      Frog Field > > If, Bwana vs Al Margolis [1]
      America - Before the War [Reich] > Quatour Bozzini [3]
      Rapido Noir > Irmin Schmidt [4]
      Trans-Europe Express > Kraftwerk [5]
      Points de Fuite > Francis Dhomont [6]
      Marine / Cartographie Liminaire > Francis Dhomont [6]
      Un Certain Embarquement > Francis Dhomont [6]
      On Earth [Train Trax] > Woob [7]
      Europe - During the War [Reich] > Quatour Bozzini [3]
      Railroad Blues > New Lost City Ramblers [8]
      Black Diamond Train > Little Axe [9]
      Paddy Works on the Railroad > Pete Seeger [10]
      New River Train > Stoneman Family [11]
      Port of Call > Marcos Fernandes [12]
      The Journey > Dubchek [13]
      City Life [Reich] > DJ Spooky [14]
      This Train [is Bound for Glory] [Guthrie] > Girls at Their Best [15]
      Train Whistle Blues > Jimmie Rodgers [16]
      Train of Love > Johnny Cash [17]
      Heimweh > Christiane F. [18]
      After the War > Quatour Bozzini [3]
      I Love Paris > Les Negresse Vertes [19]

      [1] "Rex Xhu Ping" on Pogus <www.pogus.com>. Incredibly intriguing
      meeting of humans living upstate along the Hudson and nature.
      Electro-acoustic without any of the attached boredom and
      heavy-handedness. These seem like loosely structured compositions, a
      porous conversational feel that allows the tapes and electronic
      gadgetry and human touches to interact in a natural environment that
      does not end up imposing a human architecture over everything.
      Avant-organic, fungal-garde with mosses and lichen growing out of the
      metal vents of the electronic gadgetry. One of the best of 2005.

      [2] "In Search of Excellounge" on Moving Coil Music
      <info@...>. Cool is cool and here they replicate St.
      Germain sound. Buoyant virtual post-hysteria jazz-downbeat with the
      exhilirating feeing of travel into a queasy zone.

      [3] "Different Trains" on Dame <www.;actuellecd.com>. Is an
      incredibly vibrant and awesomely melancholy interpretation of Steve
      Reich's train works, which are inspired by his early experiences of
      the importance of trains in a boy's childhood and the history of the
      world - the transport of millions of Jews to their deaths during
      WWII. The works include prerecorded tapes of people discussing their
      memories of WWII, the Holocaust, the sounds of trains and 3 different
      string quartets. Coincidentally arrived in the mail the same day as
      the If,Bwana CD and immediately ranks in the top for 2005.

      [4] IS studied under Stockhausen and was one of the founding members
      of Can in 1968. He played organ and synthesizer for the 8 years they
      wer together. He went solo and began doing music for TV & film. "Film
      Music 3/4 [1983], Toy Planet [1990]. This is the piece that
      originally gave me the idea for this theme show.

      [5] "Trans-Europe Express" by Kraftwerk on Capitol, 1977. The crux of
      where trains, highways, alienation, hiphop [inspiration for the
      Bambaataa electro-funk sound], trance, electronica, and robotic
      kitsch meet.

      [6] "Acousmatrix VIII-IX: Mouvances-Metaphores" on BVHaast
      <www.bvhaast.nl>. One of the most dynamic of the electronic-ambience
      composers. He has an enchanting yet dynamic sound that seems to be
      eternally latched to one's dreams. Lots of children playing, beach
      sounds, ambiences full of landscape. Also one of 2005's WTM best.

      [7] One of the most memorable of mid-90s ambient dub ensembles here
      mixing dub beats with train sounds.

      [8] "The New Lost City Ramblers vol. 3" on Folkways vinyl. One of
      those documents from an earnest past by a sharp band of merrymakers
      who were dead serious about their efforts to resurrect audio
      monuments to the past. This is certainly one in an effort to preserve
      that which was already fading in the 50s.

      [9] "Slow Fuse" on On-U <http://www.obsolete.com/on-u/>
      <http://tt.net/onusound/ >. Not bad but vaguely disappointing follow
      up to "The Wolf That House Built" Skip McDonald's excellent
      renovations of blues [esp. Howlin' Wolf] via trip hop and dub. Major
      effective sampling. One of my faves from the mid-1990s.

      [10] "Pete Seeger Concert" on Stinson vinyl. When you hold this disc
      in its cover, you feel like you are holding something old from the
      past that can speak to youŠ

      [11] "Old Tunes of the South" on Folkways vinyl. Lyrics: "Come and
      kiss me at your door, for it's time that I did go / For I thought I
      heard that westbound whistle blow."

      [12] "Hybrid Vigor" on Accretions <www.accretions.com>.
      Portuguese-Japanese composer multi-musician is a brilliant complex
      dynamic collaged set of musical ambiences that stand up to repeated
      listenings and inevitably lead to beach like speculations.

      [13] Great NY[?] dub piece that captures the seductive musical sounds
      of trains that have mesmerized poets, adventurers, hoboes,
      photographers, Futurists and musicians since the late 19th century.

      [14] "Reich Remixed" on Nonesuch. Hifalutin failure with some stand
      out trax. Includes Coldcut, Howie B., andrea Parker, Tranquility
      Bass, Mantronik, D*Note, DJ Spooky & Ken Ishii.

      [15] Incredibly effective buzz-mesmer guitar girl group upgrade of
      the Guthrie classic.

      [16] "The Very Best of Jimmie Rodgers" on BMG. The whiney, wobbly
      confluent sponge of ALL western music and inspiration to millions. He
      yodeled during the Depression years and sold millions to people who
      barely had enough to eat. He imitated a train in his lonesome

      [17] "The Very Best of the Sun years" on Metro <www.
      unionsquareusic.co.uk>. Comparing this to the Rick Rubin
      resuscitations of JC I have to stick with the originals. Sadly, my
      partner always tries to buy me CDs I would never buy for myself. She
      bought me the "Unchained" Rubin-Cash gig. There is something
      painfully annoyin almost sycophantic about it. I REALLY wanted to
      like it to especially after reading an interview with Rubin, where he
      seemed genuine and rootful butŠ go for this stuff instead.

      [18] "Wunderbar / Heimweh" This song as sung by Christiane F.
      captures the ennui and aimlessness of teenagers everywhere especially
      punk-era youth. the German girl Christiane F, from a broken family,
      was a drug addict and prostitute at age of 13. Her dramatic life was
      captured by journalists Kai Hermann and Horst Rieck. In the"cult
      book" Christiane F - Wir Kinder Vom Bahnhof Zoo and a movie with the
      same name. In the German hit movie, Christiane is played by Natja
      Brunckhorst and Detlef by Tomas Haustein. David Bowie and Brian Eno
      produced the soundtrack is available on CD. Christiane is still very
      much alive and lives a chosen anonymous and normal life in
      Berlin-Spandau as a single mom, with her son.

      [19] "Le Grand Déballage" on Virgin <www.negressesvertes.com>. Great
      post-clash multi-cultural shambling ethno-punk here make a lovely
      shambles of the old Porter classic.

      While in Paris in August, staying in the Banliue [August 2005], I did
      something stupid/heroic [you choose]: Me and the family were leaving
      the house on a sunny day to head in from the near suburbs ... As we
      were walking I saw a company mini-truck come to a halt up on a curb
      and a guy leap out, He had spotted an attractive modern [no headgear]
      young Arab woman walking up the street away from us. He started the
      catcalls, the belligerent sexist sounds and vocabulary. He followed
      her up the street, 100 meters, 200, 300 right up to the far corner
      following about a meter behind her making obscene gestures and her
      yelling and making motions for him to leave her alone. As they turned
      the corner I noticed his truck. Squatted beside the truck's front
      tire and with my Swiss Army knife, let out the greater deal of the
      air out of his front tire. Enough to make it difficult to drive... I
      have done stupid things like this in my past in NY where i was pretty
      much roughed up for defending the human rights of various women or
      homeless types... i am hoping that my gesture did not get totally
      misinterpreted as an accident [flat tire] or as mischief. you can
      only hope this type of small act has some effect.

      Was in Paris this summer. Missed the riots. Nina went there at the
      height of the riots for her work but went to the western banlieux
      where rioting was very limited. I did this show to capture going to
      Paris and ending up in Paris with misgivings and a nervous stomach
      off mixed feelings - sadness infecting all of the other emotions.

      The show, however, perhaps presciently, ended up being preoccupied
      with the exhiliration of traveling by train and by the time I arrived
      in Paris my 2 hours on air were up.

      By the time a follow-up extension was considered, the riots were
      already history.

      This reportage from Sifichi in the banlieu of Montreuil. A mixed burb
      of artists, middle class, working class, many Arabs and Africans but
      also many plain old French peopleŠ

      "A car was burned on the corner last night - 50 meters from our place
      - luckily not car. An Espace which looks like it was new. What do I
      think? Well Sarkozy and this government are creating a bigger and
      bigger gap between the haves and have nots - plus there's alot of
      pure violence for violence sake. They burned down a kindergarten
      yesterday in Clichy. This isn't 68 it's more like LA 1998. Looting,
      rioting and fires. I heard that 100 cars were torched yesterday...
      They even burned France 3 Television's car! It all certainly looks
      exciting on TV."

      And this is what I mean, maybe we're older, or something, but the
      riots seem less inspired by the need to express frustrations with
      repressions of freedom than something perhaps much more basic -
      boredom. Boredom and the institution and normalization and
      banalization and flattening of all experience through media and
      hyperbole [see the hardening and acceleration of almost all
      entertainment media]. This was central to 1965, 1968, 1998, 2005 and
      every uprising in between. Boredom - we have been regrettably and
      willingly removed ever further from actual experience. Even religion
      is nothing more than a huggy bear with across. It is middle class
      malaise. Everybody has everything - except the challenges that
      enliven living. Sure the poor have plenty of challenges and so do the
      middle class but they are abstract or devastating or dehumanizing and
      Š boring. Boredom, ennui. That is what feeds most of what appears to
      be senseless violence. It is not altogether senseless altho it DOES
      lack articulate expression. The have-nots are not in uprising against
      the haves so much as they are protesting the fact that they don't
      have what the havenots don't have. Media-hyped expectation and
      Attention deficit and lack of patience fed by the only right we have
      left [as we have been demoted from individual humans to citizens to
      mere consumers] is to demand the goods. This means not only has the
      'good life' been taken away but the tools and language and even the
      means and spirit to enjoy simple things. The marketplace has managed
      to put a price tag on everything including simple things such as a
      walk through nature which cannot be done without proper gear, for

      That it was mainly Arab youth [although plenty of other impoverished
      youth] also brings me somewhat mixed feelings. Some of the protests
      were no doubt due to severe impoverishment that can be laid at the
      hands of the French government and their cohorts [the free market
      bandits in industry and government in countries like the UK, US and
      NL] but also has something to do with the Arab community itself. Far
      be it for me to advocate family as a social band-aid. Although I
      think family is a gamble amounting to about a 50-50 chance at turning
      out ok as a kid, I think that the parents of the rioting kids also
      bear some responsibility as the 'other' enemy of the young [besides
      the flics / cops / government / schools]. Adults fail miserably on
      almost all levels. Greed, corruption, self-interest, racism [on ALL
      sides - you should hear what some Arab men say about European women!
      but then again, there's plenty of white guys saying stuff as well. A
      problem in Brussels: women are afraid to go out on the streets
      without head gear for fear of being ridiculed and called whores by
      Arab men] power-brokering, petty mobsterisms, lying, lazinessŠ The
      only hope for kids are then left up to them to discover: gangsta
      rappers [about as revolutionary as cowboys], fundamentalist religious
      zealots, and artists/musicians/writers. And since capital society and
      the religious community have deemed most of the latter as dangerous
      to their own power base, kids do NOT come into any real meaningful
      contact with artists.

      Other than a few stupid quotes quickly garnered off the streets by
      hooded youths, young articulate people are seldom called upon to
      express their views because the adults who control just about
      everything would be afraid of their acerbic conclusions and
      condemnations that would cut across religious and socio-economic
      factors and point out the shortcomings of adults all around them.

      And so how do you expect kids to have any respect for anything when
      they grow up? Adults [parents, teachers, you name it] also do NOT
      help provide readily available resources such as books, media, info,
      computers, elder-stimulation and leave the upbringing
      responsibilities to others - social services and the like. I know
      working parents are tired but there are plenty of things they could
      be doing for their kids - certainly trying to prevent them from going
      out and just hanging, hanging and not learning - except the
      half-baked teachings of fundamentalist control freaks who like every
      good army needs a few good pieces of meat to do the dirty workŠ
      anyway, still huge mixed emotions here. It's much like my feelings
      toward the US - its not the people I hate but the government and its
      henchmen and blind loyalists [fundamentalists of whatever seems to be
      missing from their spirits]Š more [maybe not] later.

      Vive le revolution [without self-appointed leaders] @ 33 rpmsŠ

      "The Old New Clothes of the French Republic: In Defense of the
      Supposedly 'insignificant' Rioters"
      Yann Moulier-Boutang, Le Manifeste
      Monday November 28 2005

      Major events are not necessarily beautiful, nor joyous. They take you
      by surprise. They do not necessarily produce integration. The reason
      why they happen never says anything about the moment of their actual
      occurrence. They are overdetermined in the same way as the proverbial
      straw that broke the camel's back: there is a long build-up, and
      then, one day, submission no longer holds, and you tear down the

      A riot is rarely a cause for enthusiasm. Its actors are usually
      unknown, confused, and seldom heroes. There is more than a whiff of
      undirected, aimless violence in a riot. Unlike wars or revolutions,
      the dead it leaves, or who lie in its dazed wake, will never be
      decorated. "Melancholia" [1], despair, "nihilism", "loss of
      self-confidence", are the conventional vignettes the not-too-stupid
      Right promptly used to label the rioters.

      They handle the issue with a bargepole, as one would expect. But it
      is the embarrassment of the Left that is truly flabbergasting. The
      Left would be well advised to remember the Versaillais "moral
      restoration" (the period after the Paris Commune-tr.) or, rather
      closer to us, the emergency decrees of the Algerian War that this
      government has now recycled - thereby proving that the act of
      parliament designed to defend in school textbooks the "positive
      effects" of colonization was in no sense a freak occurrence.

      A few isolated voices are now rising up against this obscene
      propaganda overkill [2]. These voices salvage the dented honor of
      what is left of the French intelligentsia after twenty years of
      nauseating reaction. Do I remember the outcry against the "madmen" of
      Nanterre in 1968, and against the "hooligans" of Saint-Lazare ten
      years later - In both instances, these outbursts were the premonitory
      signs of an enormous upheaval (May 68, the shift of power to
      Mitterand in the 80's). So perhaps the cautious should be a bit more
      cautious! As Francoise Blum boldly wrote in an 11 November Le Monde
      op-ed piece: it is quite possible that the 'a-political' banlieue
      youths have done more to set things in motion than thirty years of
      cheap media posturing and vainglorious political statements. They
      might well have started to rid us of that embarrassing and
      insufferable Monsieur Sarkozy, something our "politically mature"
      Left has shown itself utterly unable to bring about, fumbling as it
      is in the kitchen of its botched-up presidential aspirations. Society
      must be defended against order.

      Hence, we must defend the rioters against stupidity. Their own, for
      which they have been blamed ad nauseam, is surely not the biggest
      around at this juncture. Over these past fourteen days, our
      government, and a few of our prospective holders of power, have
      displayed an amount of arrogance, of social blindness, of crass
      stubbornness, and of persistence in error which is truly
      breathtaking: especially when viewed (from the State University of
      New York in Binghamton, (where text was written - tr.) in a country
      that knows quite a bit, and for quite some time, about urban riots -
      just think of Watts and Los Angeles.

      Together, we constitute a human society, and not a mere anthill, if,
      and only if, we are able to become angry (which is always a folly)
      and to riot. Yes, to riot. Just look into any history book. In so far
      as we are able, first, to bring them about through a long and dogged
      process of self-deception, and thus to recognize them as our own
      children (and not some scapegoat figures of the "excluded", the
      "others" the "aliens" to be air-deported to somewhere else). And
      then, in so far as we are able to respect the grief of any being
      which shares that same little patch of planet as ourselves, and are
      able to get mad at the viciously absurd sequence of mechanisms that
      institute the closest thing to the death penalty in Europe whilst
      appearing to banish it as a legal instrument of state power. In so
      far as we are able, also, to control our panic and fear in the wake
      of the chilling future that is already our present and whose cruel
      image is waved in front of us as if in a mirror by the rioters. And
      finally, in so far as we are able to react with intelligence to this
      new, harsh reality, to ponder what is being said, to consider what is
      truly at stake, and most of all, to realize that immense thing that
      is left unsaid and unseen, and yet is there, like the Purloined

      The threshold of what it takes to be heard has become very high in
      our information societies. The selection of what is relevant news
      comes at a high price - just check out how much the people in power
      spend on PR. The humbled and the stricken do not command such
      resources. In order for modern media society to start listening to
      the suppressed message send out by the rioters, it was apparently
      necessary that a few rubbish bins went up in flames first, followed
      by charred busses and trams, cars set ablaze by the thousands (that
      is to say many more, and especially, in many more places in France,
      simultaneously, than that which had become a daily routine), in
      addition to the vandalizing of a few schools and the trashing of a
      mall. But also three people had to die, which is unfathomable, and,
      hardly less calamitous, hundreds of youth had to be arrested, and a
      few dozens expelled (to return to Ceuta and Melilla and scale the
      barbed wires of Fortress Europe in order to come home, which is to
      say, to France). And to crown it all, the extremely disturbing,
      precedent-shaping recourse to emergency legislation and curfew orders
      dating from the Algerian War in 1955. (It should be noted that a
      state of emergency was not proclaimed during the events of May 1968 -
      when there were 9 million workers on strike, scores of occupied
      factories, and students on the barricades all over Paris.)

      Notes on other Patapoe audionauts & nuts:
      o Jonges v/d Vlakte [Boys from the Plains]: "De cottonpickin' Jongens
      Mondays @ PTP

      o Dr. Doo Wop is one of the most eccentric and stimulating radio
      shows anywhere. Sartre, DeSade, Doo Wop and music from the gonads.
      Now on Radio Patapoe on Sunday 17.00-18.00 Amsterdam time

      o Radio Antarctica is in temporary exile in the UK. Expect periodic
      patriotic broadcasts to rouse the troops on the mainland.

      o Rara Runnynose: "wonky-tonk, flop'n'roll, kids musique and
      infomercials live in a haunted house. tech? NO!" 17.00-19.00 Tuesdays

      o POLYPHAKE PLAPPERLAPAPP: "polyphone audioerosion featuring
      occasional beatweirdniks in an plaperlappap assemblage hosted by
      F.Fiasko 22:30-?? Wednesdays

      o Radio Worm: Rotterdam-based radio collective presents inventive
      programming to baffle all preconceptions. Midnight Sundays and in
      autopilot rotation.

      o HET PROGRAMMA: industrial lounge for collapsing people. Tuesdays 21:00
      * new home of Amsterdam's Radio Vrije Keyser: 89.6 FM
      * Radio Tonka, The Hague's 10-year-old free radio <www.radiotonka.nl/>
      * Radio Wanklank 90.9 FM, free radio in Wageningen <www.wanklank.nl>
      * Radio Libertaire, Paris 89.3 <http://dune2.info:5000/radiolib.m3u>
      * Black Sifichi / Audiometric is broadcast on :
      Aligre FM / 93.1 Paris (sat 22.30 - sun 7:00) http://www.aligrefm.org
      Eko Des Garrigues 88.5 FM Montpellier ( 19h - 22h)
      RTF 95.4 FM Limoges (wed 21h-23h) http://www.rtflimoges.com)

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      o Old playlists archived at <http://www.wfmu.org/~bart/
      o Selected Playlists at http://www.romanapoli.com/black/wreckthismess.html
      o Someday: <http://wreckthismess.com/>
      o Check out NEW excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete
      on Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/>

      CONTACT ninplant@... FOR REMOVAL