Cinema Volta: Daily Ambience hits 75% mark

  • John Maxwell Hobbs
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2005
      Hello everyone,

      Today, the Daily Ambience project reached the 3/4 mark. There have
      been 274 songs so far, I've only got 92 more to go to reach 366. I
      chose 366 because 2006 will be a leap year, and I don't want to
      cheat anyone out of a full year of music.

      -John

      Cinema Volta: Daily Ambience
      Fresh Ambient Music Composed Daily
      a new tune every day, free of charge
      at: http://www.cinemavolta.com/daily

      About Cinema Volta: Daily Ambience:

      As an exploration of ambient music and the limits of my own
      creativity, I have been composing and releasing a new song every day.

      Sometimes these songs are sketches, sometimes full-blown
      compositions, it all depends on my inspiration and my available time.

      About Cinema Volta:

      Cinema Volta consists of John Maxwell Hobbs, a stack of electronic
      equipment, musical instruments in various states of disrepair and
      occasional collaborators.

      John Maxwell Hobbs is an electronic musician based in Stockholm
      Sweden who has been working with computer multimedia and
      telecommunications for more than eighteen years. His contributions to
      the early days of music on the web have been documented in the book
      "Virtual Music" by William Duckworth.

      From the book:

      "In a review of his interactive online instrument, Web Phases, Kyle
      Gann of the Village Voice described it as being 'on a noticeably
      higher artistic level' than the earliest tape-music and computer-
      music pieces, concluding that 'the potential for social reorientation
      is even more incredible,' and predicting 'we'll look back and say
      1998 was the year our relationship to music entered a new era.'"

      For much of the '90s he was the Producing Director of The Kitchen in
      New York where he was involved in producing the performances by
      Philip Glass, DJ Spooky, David Hykes and many others.

      He is the Vice President of the board of directors of Vanguard
      Visions, an organization dedicated to fostering the work of artists
      experimenting with technology and also served on the Digital Arts
      subcommittee of the Mayor's Council on New Media in New York City.
      His interactive composition Web Phases was one of the winners of
      ASCI's Digital '98 competition. He has collaborated with artist/
      programmer Mark Napier on Ripple, an interactive musical instrument.