Re: AMM gig last night

  • a_j_fleming
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 7, 2005
      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Nat Hawks <nytf303@y...> wrote:

      > i just recently joined this list.

      and I haven't been around to look at the queue lately, and thus your
      message has been sitting there for several days. (note: new members'
      first posts are automatically moderated)

      > i've been on the idmlist for years and years. great
      > discussion there. great community. solid arguments.
      > varied genres discussed (i learned about Fantoms from
      > the damned IDM list for christsake), and i will say
      > that one of the reasons the list is so strange is that
      >
      > a) the moderator is a strong presence when need be and
      > b) the list doesn't take any bull-honkey for the most
      > part. if someone/thing is wasting everyone's time,
      > they are told so, in public. it works out in the end.

      I agree that strong moderation is sometimes necessary, but the shaming
      time-wasters in public aspect doesn't appeal to me. 9 times out of
      10, it ends in flame wars, which take lists even further away from its
      purpose.

      > folks still post promotionals, and shows, and their
      > own work, but without discussion around it, this list
      > is just a bulletin board at your local ecclectic music
      > shop...

      I guess I'm being put on notice that the spam needs to stop. I agree,
      but I don't think it will help the signal to noise ratio much- the
      overall volume may just decrease. Part of why this list used to be
      fairly active is because, well, the internet was a much smaller place
      when it started, and there were very few places to talk about
      Wire-type music. Now there are plenty of online fora for this kind of
      stuff. In addition, a lot of the traffic coming to the list ca.
      2000-3 came from the mag itself, which published the address for the
      list in each issue. That disappeared when Chris Bohn took over from
      Rob Young as Editor. I'm not one to tell them how to run the mag, but
      the impact was immediate.

      For the time being, sure, I can be a more active moderator and ask
      people to stop posting ads.

      -a.

      > --- richardreesjones <richardreesjones@y...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > Anyone else go to this? I was seriously
      > > underwhelmed, I have to say.
      > > I've never been bored by AMM before, but I certainly
      > > was last night.
      > > Rowe's departure seems to have crippled their
      > > creativity. David
      > > Jackman was a fairly inconsequential presence. Why
      > > didn't Prevost play
      > > his full kit? And were my ears deceiving me, or did
      > > I hear some very
      > > Rowe-like radio excerpts, which were presumably
      > > coming from tapes?
      > >
      > > By the way, this list is getting pretty poor for
      > > discussion. It's
      > > still full of promotional stuff even though there is
      > > now a separate
      > > list for that. Is there anything that can be done
      > > to make the
      > > advertisers move to the list that has been set up
      > > for them?
      > >
      > > Richard
      > >

      > __________________________________
      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • giles thomas
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 7, 2005
        I' d like to put this point in for consideration; given that a lot of
        discussion would be about the work that contributors make isn't it part
        of the process to draw attention to things that are happening beyond the
        discussion. Some of the more obscure labels & producers only get a
        platform on forums like this one. I don't mind this activity & I recieve
        all the post in my mailbox. Some of it is irrelevant but a lot of it is
        a direct link to material I would never otherwise hear. If nobody really
        wants to know what Bateau Lavoir or Utech or Balance Point Accoustics is
        doing In relation to the general dialogue then I agree not to post
        anymore info. If nobody wants to know when a musician is performing in
        Brussels or London then stop the posting. I think it will be an
        impoverishment.
        Giles