WRECK: Woody Guthrie vs Phil Minton

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2005

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: 308: Woody Guthrie vs Phil Minton

      PTP in the ether: 88.3FM
      Where purity & puerility are synonymous
      streaming via internet:
      <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>

      17 Oktober 2005 / 17.00-19.00

      "This song is Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of Copyright # 154085,
      for a period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin it without our
      permission, will be mighty good friends of ourn, cause we don't give
      a dern.
      Publish it. Write it. Sing it. Swing to it. Yodel it. We wrote it,
      that's all we wanted to do."
      o Woody Guthrie

      ~~~~~~

      Tuesday is Nearly Over > Appliance [1]
      Altmann's Tongue > Brian Evenson vs Xingu Hill [2]
      The Anarchist's Anthem > Phil Minton & Veryan Weston [3]
      Ain't Gonna Be Treated This Way > Woody Guthrie [4]
      Part VII of the Valediction > Phil Minton & Veryan Weston [3]
      Pretty Boy Floyd [Guthrie] > Ramblin Jack Elliot [5]
      Part V of the Valediction > Phil Minton & Veryan Weston [3]
      Poor Boy > Woody Guthrie [4]
      Don't You Push Me Down Floyd [Guthrie] > Ramblin Jack Elliot [5]
      Overture #1 > Phil Minton & Veryan Weston [3]
      Lonesome Day > Woody Guthrie [4]
      Class Struggle > Phil Minton & Veryan Weston [3]
      This Land Is Your Land > Woody Guthrie [6]
      Part VIa of the Valediction > Phil Minton & Veryan Weston [3]
      Hard, Ain't It Hard > Woody Guthrie & Cisco Houston [7]
      Pretty Boy Floyd > Woody Guthrie [4]
      Reduction from Passive Resistance > Phil Minton & Veryan Weston [3]
      Worried Man Blues > Woody Guthrie [4]
      Another Version of the Anarchy Poem > Phil Minton & Veryan Weston [3]
      Philadelphia Lawyer > Woody Guthrie & Cisco Houston [7]
      Solidarity Forever > Phil Minton & Veryan Weston [3]
      1913 Massacre > Ramblin Jack Elliot [5]
      Big Rock Candy Mountain > Phil Minton & Veryan Weston [3]
      Big Rock Candy Mountain > Burl Ives [8]
      Talkin' Fish Blues > > Ramblin Jack Elliot [6]
      Which Side Are You On?* > Phil Minton & Veryan Weston [3]
      Johnny Hard > Woody Guthrie [4]
      --
      An Experience of Trouble > Zea [9]
      Road Runner #1 > Jonathan Richman & the Modern Lovers [10]
      A > Crystal Distortion [11]
      They Grew Up Weird > Zea [9]
      Rockin' Shopping Center > Jonathan Richman & the Modern Lovers [12]
      B > Crystal Distortion [11]
      Pan-Koe > Zea [9]
      Astral Plain > Jonathan Richman & the Modern Lovers [10]
      C > Crystal Distortion [11]
      Dub Trek > The Firm [13]
      Final Solution > Pere Ubu [14]
      No Pictures, Memory Only > Zea [9]
      Kiss Kiss Revolution > Zea [9]
      Lonely Financial Zone > Jonathan Richman & the Modern Lovers [12]
      You Fantastic! > Zea [9]
      Misery Train > Suicide [1]
      D > Crystal Distortion [11]
      I'm Straight > Jonathan Richman & the Modern Lovers [10]
      ±±±±
      ~~~
      [1] "Octopus Sampler #01" on Labels <www.mouvement.net>. Most
      magazine compilations suck. This one doesn't. Also includes Etant
      Donnes, Cabaret Voltaire, Appliance, Schneider TM and Komputer.

      [2] "Altmann's Tongue" on Ant Zen <www.ant-zen.com>. Interesting
      terse noir-like spoken word combined with electronica. Courtesy of
      Laurent @ WTM-Paris.

      [3] "Ways Out West Ways Out East" on Intakt < www.intaktrec.ch> .
      Strange vocals and selection of songs and rants that goes from
      anarchist manifesto to old hillbilly nuggets. PM is a strange but
      amazingly evocative vocalist who I had the pleasure of seeing at the
      OCCII [premier Amsterdam palace for unpretentious experimentation and
      very little administrative red tape]. I spoke to him after his
      concert and we talked about - surprise - yodeling and he mentioned
      how in his native Devon some of the locals speak with a voice break
      that resembles yodeling. Nothing like a rousing combination of
      political awareness and aesthetic chance-taking.

      [4] "The Legendary Woody Guthrie - In Memorian" on Tradition vinyl.
      What you grow up with - or not! - in the States. The people can be
      divided between the 2 camps.

      [5] "Woody Guthrie's Songs to Grown On" on Folkways vinyl. WG wrote
      plenty of simple, engaging, non-stupid kid songs.

      [6] "The Greatest Songs of Woody Guthrie" on Vanguard vinyl.

      [7] Cisco Houston Sings Songs of Woody Guthrie" on Vanguard vinyl.

      [8] "Volume 3: A Collection of Ballads, Folk and Country Songs" on
      Decca double-45.

      [9] "Today I Forgot to Complain" on Transformed Dreams
      <www.zea.dds.nl>. Saw this great local band [they live not far from
      my homebase!] at one of the premier clubs in Amsterdam and NL. And it
      is cheap and unpretentious. They were part of the John Peel Memorial
      night a wek earlier. Four bands, 2 of which had actually appeared on
      Peel's show. This band had not although you could see Peel easily
      coming to love their infectious sound - that pure mangled pop as
      informed by Suicide, Velvet Underground, the Manchester era, and also
      Jonathan Richman, among others. So - silly, hypnotic, simple, yet
      rich and not without its charming poetic aspects.

      [10] "The Modern Lovers" on Mohawk vinyl. Lou Reed declared richman
      one of the pioneers of punk. Although he also had his Sesame Street
      haiku side that is not without its charm because the simple lyrics
      cut thru major bullshit. His work has always worked like a subdued
      bulldozer through piles of execrable cultural excrement

      [11] "The Things I4m Not Supposed To Do" on Expressillon
      <www.expressillon.com>. info@.... Some of this works
      massively as glib and ironic cultural commentaryŠ

      [12] "Jonathan Richman & the Modern Lovers" on Berserkley vinyl.

      [13] "Star Trekkin'" on Bark 45-vinyl. Why not.

      [14] "Datapanik in the Year Zero-A" on Rough Trade 45-vinyl. This
      came out 30 years ago!!!! Still sounds as fresh as the day they
      bombed Hiroshima while viewing "Eraserhead."

      * Self Promotion Moment
      I will be DJing and lecturing on the subject of Cargo Cult [via beer,
      radio, yodeling, and religion] as part of the [Radio] WORM evening
      devoted to Cargo Cult[ure] which will also feature live bands and
      short films, noise, performance, video

      Cargo Cult / Lading-worshippen
      The Owl Project [concert]
      Masonic Youth [concert / ritual]
      Sander Blom [film]
      Stichting G.A.N.G. [KANpagne]
      Guido Rainier van Troost [performance/video]
      Leonard en Jeroen [video]
      Videohoek [div.]
      @
      Saturday 12 November
      21.00
      WORM - Achterhaven 148
      ROTTERDAM
      worm@...
      www.wormweb.nl

      o Recent EU report shows what we already know: the old economic
      cornerstone bromide of capitalism - that choice leads to improved
      quality - is never borne out by the facts. There are more TV stations
      broadcasting and competing for listeners and advertising geld and
      yet, the quality of broadcasting has gone downŠ Despite having some
      4000 channels thruout Europe, the majority are in the claws of a few
      grey men with agendas that depend on declining quality - entertain
      them to death! Thus ever less investigative journalism and news
      critical of the very governments they have so heavily invested in to
      get elected and give them free reign to the airwavesŠ

      o And now: Why I chose to put 2 seemingly opposing sounds/musicians
      up against one another. Actually despite the fact that Minton [and
      Veryan Weston] comes from a tradition that is probably informed by
      the Dadaists and futurists, his abstract vocalizations [especially
      here] always lead back to roots that have to do with radical trade
      unionism and the rousing songs [Which side are you on? With line like
      "don't scab for the bosses / Don't listen to their lies. / Us poor
      folks haven't got a chance / Unless we organize"] that went with
      organizing workers. He even interprets the anarchist poetry of John
      Henry MacKay into song ["'Wreck of all order', cry the multitudeŠ"]
      with many of the rest of the texts based on Russian revolution period
      history and the work of Nestor Mahkno, the leader of a libertarian
      peasant and worker armyŠ This would seem to be the European side of
      what inspired Guthrie and Guthrie's real art was not only the art of
      creative theft but in his way of making revolution and resistance
      seem like the [often repressed] will of the ordinary folk. He could
      in a rousing yet seeming subterfuge manner convince people of their
      own rights and own need to resist the very industrialists who would
      take food off their very meager tables in order to further pad their
      bank accounts. It would be great to do some cut and paste duet of the
      2 I think. Especially organic when you see that the last songs Phil
      and Wston cover are a bunch of songs from a Pete Seeger old folk
      songbookŠ

      * Song written in anger by Florence Reece, according to Pete Seeger
      in the Minton liner notes, wife of a miner's union member in Harlan
      County Kentucky in 1931, after gun thug cops came looking for her
      union activist husband.

      o Why I put Zea together with Richman and Suicide et al. is
      thematically seamless and logical as a sonic family tree - dads,
      grandads and offspringŠ

      Notes on other Patapoe audionauts & nuts:
      o Jonges v/d Vlakte [Boys from the Plains]: "De cottonpickin' Jongens
      Mondays @ PTP

      o Dr. Doo Wop is one of the most eccentric and stimulating radio
      shows anywhere. Sartre, DeSade, Doo Wop and music from the gonads.
      Now on Radio Patapoe on Sunday 17.00-18.00 Amsterdam time

      o Radio Antarctica is in temporary exile in the UK. Expect periodic
      patriotic broadcasts to rouse the troops on the mainland.

      o Rara Runnynose: "wonky-tonk, flop'n'roll, kids musique and
      infomercials live in a haunted house. tech? NO!" 17.00-19.00 Tuesdays

      o POLYPHAKE PLAPPERLAPAPP: "polyphone audioerosion featuring
      occasional beatweirdniks in an plaperlappap assemblage hosted by
      F.Fiasko 22:30-?? Wednesdays

      o Radio Worm: Rotterdam-based radio collective presents inventive
      programming to baffle all preconceptions. Midnight Sundays and in
      autopilot rotation.

      o HET PROGRAMMA: industrial lounge for collapsing people. Tuesdays 21:00

      ~~~~
      * new home of Amsterdam's Radio Vrije Keyser: 89.6 FM
      * Radio Tonka, The Hague's 10-year-old free radio <www.radiotonka.nl/>
      * Radio Wanklank 90.9 FM, free radio in Wageningen <www.wanklank.nl>
      * Radio Libertaire, Paris 89.3 <http://dune2.info:5000/radiolib.m3u>
      * Black Sifichi / Audiometric is broadcast on :
      Aligre FM / 93.1 Paris (sat 22.30 - sun 7:00) http://www.aligrefm.org
      Eko Des Garrigues 88.5 FM Montpellier ( 19h - 22h)
      http://www.ekodesgarrigues.com
      RTF 95.4 FM Limoges (wed 21h-23h) http://www.rtflimoges.com)

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 2500± READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK*
      o Old playlists archived at <http://www.wfmu.org/~bart/
      o Selected Playlists at http://www.romanapoli.com/black/wreckthismess.html
      o Someday: <http://wreckthismess.com/>
      o Check out NEW excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete
      on Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/>