Re: AMM gig last night

  • richardreesjones
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "mark winkelmannn"
      <agrowinkelmann@h...> wrote:

      > That cheered me up I couldn't get tickets and as it turned out was
      too sick
      > to go anyway.

      I know they were saying it was sold out, but as it happens there were
      plenty of empty seats. If you'd gone along (if you hadn't been sick),
      you'd have got in.

      Nice venue. I've only been there once before, many years ago, to see
      Zoviet France. I hope it gets used more often.

      > goddamn improv losers.

      Who is that aimed at? AMM themselves? A trifle harsh, if so.

      Richard
    • Nat Hawks
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
        i just recently joined this list.

        i've been on the idmlist for years and years. great
        discussion there. great community. solid arguments.
        varied genres discussed (i learned about Fantoms from
        the damned IDM list for christsake), and i will say
        that one of the reasons the list is so strange is that

        a) the moderator is a strong presence when need be and
        b) the list doesn't take any bull-honkey for the most
        part. if someone/thing is wasting everyone's time,
        they are told so, in public. it works out in the end.

        folks still post promotionals, and shows, and their
        own work, but without discussion around it, this list
        is just a bulletin board at your local ecclectic music
        shop...

        --- richardreesjones <richardreesjones@...>
        wrote:

        > Anyone else go to this? I was seriously
        > underwhelmed, I have to say.
        > I've never been bored by AMM before, but I certainly
        > was last night.
        > Rowe's departure seems to have crippled their
        > creativity. David
        > Jackman was a fairly inconsequential presence. Why
        > didn't Prevost play
        > his full kit? And were my ears deceiving me, or did
        > I hear some very
        > Rowe-like radio excerpts, which were presumably
        > coming from tapes?
        >
        > By the way, this list is getting pretty poor for
        > discussion. It's
        > still full of promotional stuff even though there is
        > now a separate
        > list for that. Is there anything that can be done
        > to make the
        > advertisers move to the list that has been set up
        > for them?
        >
        > Richard

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • mark winkelmannn
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2005
          > > goddamn improv losers.
          >
          >Who is that aimed at? AMM themselves? A trifle harsh, if so.

          Yes but meant tongue in cheek - don't make me get all emoticon on your ass.

          I saw 'em once years ago and was well impressed. So happier not to see them
          on an off night.

          Easily locate documents, email & more on your PC - get MSN Toolbar!
          http://toolbar.msn.ie
        • a_j_fleming
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7, 2005
            --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Nat Hawks <nytf303@y...> wrote:

            > i just recently joined this list.

            and I haven't been around to look at the queue lately, and thus your
            message has been sitting there for several days. (note: new members'
            first posts are automatically moderated)

            > i've been on the idmlist for years and years. great
            > discussion there. great community. solid arguments.
            > varied genres discussed (i learned about Fantoms from
            > the damned IDM list for christsake), and i will say
            > that one of the reasons the list is so strange is that
            >
            > a) the moderator is a strong presence when need be and
            > b) the list doesn't take any bull-honkey for the most
            > part. if someone/thing is wasting everyone's time,
            > they are told so, in public. it works out in the end.

            I agree that strong moderation is sometimes necessary, but the shaming
            time-wasters in public aspect doesn't appeal to me. 9 times out of
            10, it ends in flame wars, which take lists even further away from its
            purpose.

            > folks still post promotionals, and shows, and their
            > own work, but without discussion around it, this list
            > is just a bulletin board at your local ecclectic music
            > shop...

            I guess I'm being put on notice that the spam needs to stop. I agree,
            but I don't think it will help the signal to noise ratio much- the
            overall volume may just decrease. Part of why this list used to be
            fairly active is because, well, the internet was a much smaller place
            when it started, and there were very few places to talk about
            Wire-type music. Now there are plenty of online fora for this kind of
            stuff. In addition, a lot of the traffic coming to the list ca.
            2000-3 came from the mag itself, which published the address for the
            list in each issue. That disappeared when Chris Bohn took over from
            Rob Young as Editor. I'm not one to tell them how to run the mag, but
            the impact was immediate.

            For the time being, sure, I can be a more active moderator and ask
            people to stop posting ads.

            -a.

            > --- richardreesjones <richardreesjones@y...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > Anyone else go to this? I was seriously
            > > underwhelmed, I have to say.
            > > I've never been bored by AMM before, but I certainly
            > > was last night.
            > > Rowe's departure seems to have crippled their
            > > creativity. David
            > > Jackman was a fairly inconsequential presence. Why
            > > didn't Prevost play
            > > his full kit? And were my ears deceiving me, or did
            > > I hear some very
            > > Rowe-like radio excerpts, which were presumably
            > > coming from tapes?
            > >
            > > By the way, this list is getting pretty poor for
            > > discussion. It's
            > > still full of promotional stuff even though there is
            > > now a separate
            > > list for that. Is there anything that can be done
            > > to make the
            > > advertisers move to the list that has been set up
            > > for them?
            > >
            > > Richard
            > >

            > __________________________________
            > http://mail.yahoo.com

          • giles thomas
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 7, 2005
              I' d like to put this point in for consideration; given that a lot of
              discussion would be about the work that contributors make isn't it part
              of the process to draw attention to things that are happening beyond the
              discussion. Some of the more obscure labels & producers only get a
              platform on forums like this one. I don't mind this activity & I recieve
              all the post in my mailbox. Some of it is irrelevant but a lot of it is
              a direct link to material I would never otherwise hear. If nobody really
              wants to know what Bateau Lavoir or Utech or Balance Point Accoustics is
              doing In relation to the general dialogue then I agree not to post
              anymore info. If nobody wants to know when a musician is performing in
              Brussels or London then stop the posting. I think it will be an
              impoverishment.
              Giles