RE: [thewire] AMM gig last night

  • mark winkelmannn
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
      That cheered me up I couldn't get tickets and as it turned out was too sick
      to go anyway.

      goddamn improv losers.

      Rain or shine, sleet or snow? Visit MSN Weather today!
      http://www.msn.ie/weather
    • richardreesjones
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
        --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "mark winkelmannn"
        <agrowinkelmann@h...> wrote:

        > That cheered me up I couldn't get tickets and as it turned out was
        too sick
        > to go anyway.

        I know they were saying it was sold out, but as it happens there were
        plenty of empty seats. If you'd gone along (if you hadn't been sick),
        you'd have got in.

        Nice venue. I've only been there once before, many years ago, to see
        Zoviet France. I hope it gets used more often.

        > goddamn improv losers.

        Who is that aimed at? AMM themselves? A trifle harsh, if so.

        Richard
      • Nat Hawks
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
          i just recently joined this list.

          i've been on the idmlist for years and years. great
          discussion there. great community. solid arguments.
          varied genres discussed (i learned about Fantoms from
          the damned IDM list for christsake), and i will say
          that one of the reasons the list is so strange is that

          a) the moderator is a strong presence when need be and
          b) the list doesn't take any bull-honkey for the most
          part. if someone/thing is wasting everyone's time,
          they are told so, in public. it works out in the end.

          folks still post promotionals, and shows, and their
          own work, but without discussion around it, this list
          is just a bulletin board at your local ecclectic music
          shop...

          --- richardreesjones <richardreesjones@...>
          wrote:

          > Anyone else go to this? I was seriously
          > underwhelmed, I have to say.
          > I've never been bored by AMM before, but I certainly
          > was last night.
          > Rowe's departure seems to have crippled their
          > creativity. David
          > Jackman was a fairly inconsequential presence. Why
          > didn't Prevost play
          > his full kit? And were my ears deceiving me, or did
          > I hear some very
          > Rowe-like radio excerpts, which were presumably
          > coming from tapes?
          >
          > By the way, this list is getting pretty poor for
          > discussion. It's
          > still full of promotional stuff even though there is
          > now a separate
          > list for that. Is there anything that can be done
          > to make the
          > advertisers move to the list that has been set up
          > for them?
          >
          > Richard

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • mark winkelmannn
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2005
            > > goddamn improv losers.
            >
            >Who is that aimed at? AMM themselves? A trifle harsh, if so.

            Yes but meant tongue in cheek - don't make me get all emoticon on your ass.

            I saw 'em once years ago and was well impressed. So happier not to see them
            on an off night.

            Easily locate documents, email & more on your PC - get MSN Toolbar!
            http://toolbar.msn.ie
          • a_j_fleming
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 7, 2005
              --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Nat Hawks <nytf303@y...> wrote:

              > i just recently joined this list.

              and I haven't been around to look at the queue lately, and thus your
              message has been sitting there for several days. (note: new members'
              first posts are automatically moderated)

              > i've been on the idmlist for years and years. great
              > discussion there. great community. solid arguments.
              > varied genres discussed (i learned about Fantoms from
              > the damned IDM list for christsake), and i will say
              > that one of the reasons the list is so strange is that
              >
              > a) the moderator is a strong presence when need be and
              > b) the list doesn't take any bull-honkey for the most
              > part. if someone/thing is wasting everyone's time,
              > they are told so, in public. it works out in the end.

              I agree that strong moderation is sometimes necessary, but the shaming
              time-wasters in public aspect doesn't appeal to me. 9 times out of
              10, it ends in flame wars, which take lists even further away from its
              purpose.

              > folks still post promotionals, and shows, and their
              > own work, but without discussion around it, this list
              > is just a bulletin board at your local ecclectic music
              > shop...

              I guess I'm being put on notice that the spam needs to stop. I agree,
              but I don't think it will help the signal to noise ratio much- the
              overall volume may just decrease. Part of why this list used to be
              fairly active is because, well, the internet was a much smaller place
              when it started, and there were very few places to talk about
              Wire-type music. Now there are plenty of online fora for this kind of
              stuff. In addition, a lot of the traffic coming to the list ca.
              2000-3 came from the mag itself, which published the address for the
              list in each issue. That disappeared when Chris Bohn took over from
              Rob Young as Editor. I'm not one to tell them how to run the mag, but
              the impact was immediate.

              For the time being, sure, I can be a more active moderator and ask
              people to stop posting ads.

              -a.

              > --- richardreesjones <richardreesjones@y...>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > Anyone else go to this? I was seriously
              > > underwhelmed, I have to say.
              > > I've never been bored by AMM before, but I certainly
              > > was last night.
              > > Rowe's departure seems to have crippled their
              > > creativity. David
              > > Jackman was a fairly inconsequential presence. Why
              > > didn't Prevost play
              > > his full kit? And were my ears deceiving me, or did
              > > I hear some very
              > > Rowe-like radio excerpts, which were presumably
              > > coming from tapes?
              > >
              > > By the way, this list is getting pretty poor for
              > > discussion. It's
              > > still full of promotional stuff even though there is
              > > now a separate
              > > list for that. Is there anything that can be done
              > > to make the
              > > advertisers move to the list that has been set up
              > > for them?
              > >
              > > Richard
              > >

              > __________________________________
              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • giles thomas
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 7, 2005
                I' d like to put this point in for consideration; given that a lot of
                discussion would be about the work that contributors make isn't it part
                of the process to draw attention to things that are happening beyond the
                discussion. Some of the more obscure labels & producers only get a
                platform on forums like this one. I don't mind this activity & I recieve
                all the post in my mailbox. Some of it is irrelevant but a lot of it is
                a direct link to material I would never otherwise hear. If nobody really
                wants to know what Bateau Lavoir or Utech or Balance Point Accoustics is
                doing In relation to the general dialogue then I agree not to post
                anymore info. If nobody wants to know when a musician is performing in
                Brussels or London then stop the posting. I think it will be an
                impoverishment.
                Giles