Wrecking the Yodel as Strange Prosthesis

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2005

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: 306: Yodel as Strange Prosthesis

      PTP in the ether: 88.3FM
      Where purity & puerility are synonymous
      streaming via internet:
      <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>

      3 Oktober 2005 / 17.00-19.00

      "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it,
      misdiagnosing it and then applying the wrong remedies."
      o Groucho Marx*

      "I think yodel music is gonna be the rap of the late '90sŠ"
      o Tori Spelling, of "Beverly Hills 90210"

      "I can only tolerate the popular yodeling outdoors or in big rooms."
      Goethe, 1829

      ±±±±

      Musical Bonzai > High Tone [1]
      Make Up > Sally Nyolo [2]
      Call of the Forest > Baka Beyond [3]
      Lonely Cowboy > Arthur Miles [4]
      The New Yodel Song > Mike McClellan & the Mariachi Kapakahi [5]
      Sad Among Strangers > Baka Beyond [3]
      Jun Jun > Kishore Kumar [6]
      Yodel Polka [?] > Takeo Ischi [7]
      Anonymous Yodel > Anonymous Korean-Swiss Yodeler [?] [8]
      Switzerland Got Funky > Pencilnecks [9]
      Chant de Berger > Edgar Detrait & Marceau [10]
      Loblied / Jodler Messe no. 1 > Jost Marty [11]
      Kyrie > Toby Twining [12]
      Plein Caille > Trio Select [13]
      El Caballero > R. Cantoral [14]
      Triestesa > Alfredo Gutierrez [15]
      Lovesick Blues > Hank Williams [16]
      Echo Lullaby Yodel > Tex Cochrane [17]
      Dump Road Yodel > Those Legendary Shack Shakers [18]
      Skunk Yodel no. 7 > Forty Twenty [19]
      Yodel Til I Turn Blue > Johnny Dilks [20]
      Yeah, I'm A Cowboy > Mike Johnson [21]
      Canned Heat Blues > Tommy Johnson [22]
      Tennessee Houn' Dog Yodel > Marvin Rainwater [23]
      Yodelin' Fool > Wylie & the Wild West [24]
      I Wanna Yodel for the Lord > Princess Ramona [25]
      I'm Gonna Yodel My Way to Heaven > Princess Ramona [25]
      Hillbilly Soldier Joe > Johnson Sisters [26]
      Wanna Be Cowgirl > Joyce Leonard [27]
      Jesus Put a Yodel in my Soul > Donah Hyland [28]
      Yodeling Lesson > Janet McBride [29]
      Jesus Put a Yodel in my Soul > Wanda Jackson [30]
      Time is a Yodeller > Tiny Bill Cody [31]
      Franzl noch a Gstanzl > Franzl Lang [32]
      Government Surveillance Yodel Blues > the Fugs [33]
      Yodeling Song > Bududdy Wasisname & The Other Fellers [34]
      Swingtime Cowgirl > Liz Masterson & Sean Blackburn [35]
      The Yodelling Chinaman > George van Dusen [36]

      "I think the only hope this country has is Nixon's assassination."
      o Groucho Marx, Flash magazine, 1971
      ~~~~

      [1] "Wave Digger" on Jarring Effects 2005
      <http://jarringeffects.free.fr>. This is one of the most propulsive
      and dynamic bands currently operating in France - and there are
      plenty of top-notch band to compete with. They manage to forge this
      Mad Max amalgam of mangled steel, of massive dub, machine gun drum n
      bass, Rip hop and warped jungle, techno, ethnic musics and trance and
      ingenious old style sampling of dying cultural remnants. They are
      live, loud and yet every bit as virtual as well. They lean towards
      popular and then end up circular sawing it into kindling. Their
      experimentation never leaves you on the outside, we are part of the
      dialect, we are in the dialogue shaking our heads yes. High Tone
      always ends up in my end-of-the-year top records. They never leave
      traces of their roots - Lee Perry and King Tubby and early On-U Sound
      - far behind as they seek to reinvent dub for the crumbling glories
      of the 21st century. Yes, contains some yodel-like samples.

      [2] "Multiculti" on Coeur de Lion/Tinder <www.worldmusic.com>.
      wonderful vocalist who tries to cover all the "multi-culti" bases and
      nearly succeeds. Combining traditional music in a loving manner she
      manages to combine elements of reggae with Pygmy yodeling and in many
      ways sounds like a side project of Zap Mama, singing in a variety of
      languages as well. There are some smatterings of African pop,
      bikutsi, rap, hip hop and makossa. "Make Up" and "Solidarity" include
      subtle nods to Pygmy [roots] yodeling.

      [3] "The Rhythm Tree" on March Hare.
      <www.baka.co.uk/bakab/index.html>. This is a group I played on my
      radio show in the 1990s and was reminded of by fellow radio DJ Rob
      Weisberg. Seemingly having learned from the un-PC mistakes or
      controversies that Deep Forest got involved in, BB has incorporated
      many of their African and Pygmy members into the band as valid named
      participants. Loni and Mbelli do the yodeling along with the Baka of
      Lupé, a group of younger vocalists.. Royalties are funneled to Global
      Music Exchange, a registered charity that distributes funds back to
      the Baka to help them preserve their forest and culture which
      includes supplying the Baka with ID cards that are compulsory,
      distributing basic essentials and medicine, building a music house
      and other initiatives. The music is a strange combination of
      Cameroonian rhythms and Celtic and Gaelic songs and Cornish-Welsh and
      Breton influences as well as music from a number of other countries.
      World fusion with plenty of "real" Pygmy yodeling enhanced and placed
      forward in the mix complimented by Celtic touches and dynamic African
      rhythms that stand up to the scrutiny of cynical ears. The yodeling
      is used for purposes of the hunt but also for pure collective fun in
      the village. Here, no single performer dominates, leads exchange
      fluidly and involve intricate hocketing or interwoven
      call-and-respond vocals. It doesn't sound like drippy folksy-PC world
      fusion so much as a true meeting of UK and African musicians. It only
      goes New-Age romantic drippy and droopy in a few spots. Martin
      Cradick: Guitar, mandolin, percussion and producer; Su Hart: Vocals,
      percussion, Paddy Le Mercier: Violin, whistles, bombarde (traditional
      Breton reeded instrument) formerly in Malicorne; Ayodele Scott:
      Sierra Leone Percussion; Seckou Keita: Senegal Percussion and kora
      (African Harp); Sam Djengue: Cameroon Bass; Tim Robinson: UK Drums;
      Denise Rowe: Jamaican-UK Singer, dancer, Percussion. /
      nigel@...

      [4] "When I Was A Cowboy Vol. 1" on Yazoo, various artists In 1929
      Texan singer- cowboy songs, Arthur Miles, recorded some songs which
      illustrate his unique style of throat singing yodeling. Very strange
      indeed.

      [5] "The New Yodel Song" on Topsoil, 45-rpm. INcredibly inspiring
      yodeling and singing in English, Spanish and Hawaiian by this learned
      slack key player, Hawaiian music aficionado, and accomplished
      California yodeler.

      [6] "Yodel-love: Kishore Kumar's Best Songs for Rajesh Khanna."
      Kishore Kumar: "The Bing Crosby of India" The only Bollywood yodel
      most Westerners might be familiar with is "Zindagi Ek Safar Hai
      Suhana Yahan." It's featured in the 1971 film, Andaz and appears on
      the compilation Bollywood Swinging. The song may be familiar to
      Western ears because a version of it was featured on the soundtrack
      of Mira Nair's film Mississippi Masala. According to radio DJ, Rob
      Weisberg, "Kishore Kumar was one of the handful of big star singers
      in India during the so-called golden age of film music (1950s-70s)
      and unlike many of his fellow 'playback singers' he also acted in
      films." Kumar (1929-1987) was a polymath, jack-of-many-trades:
      funnyman, serious actor, script writer, director, composer, and, as
      the liner notes on the Hits of Kishore Kumar album proclaim, "the
      only film singer who has yodelled his way into the hearts of the
      younger set." He's second only to Dilip Kumar (no relation) as far as
      his fame as a singer goes. Kumar had no professional training as a
      singer; he just winged it and discovered he had a knack for it. In
      fact, his singing and yodeling have a kind of untutored boldness and
      abandon to them. He often just threw odd babbling jazz-scat remnants
      into the rhythms and then improvised with inspired patter and
      yodeling. I have since discovered some more yodel numbers of his. So
      it wasn't just a one-off.

      [7] Weird aberration: A Japanese yodeler pop star living in
      Switzerland who performs in lederhosenŠ He comes off as the genuine
      article one moment and as Tiny Tim the next.

      [8] Courtesy of WFMU station manager Ken, I received an odd
      mysterious CD full of Asian and other yodels. Some are no doubt
      Ischi, while others defy description, identification [they are only
      marked with computer code] or raison d'etre, other than to proof that
      the human being is a strange alien even on its own planet.

      [9] "The Pencilnecks Greatest Hits" on Uptite <www.pencilnecks.com>.
      Strange ironic boozer post-rock boogie with clever lyrics and some
      yodeling!

      [10] Weird French yodeling from the 1930s courtesy of Squeezebox Toni.

      [11] One of the first outwardly serious attempts to incorporate
      yodeling into serious and grand music. There are plenty of references
      to yodeling in classical music where horns interpret the yodel but
      this must have been a first - a mass. Bringing full circle the entire
      appropriation of this pagan call into Christianity.

      [12] "Chrysalid Requiem" on Cantaloupe <www.cantaloupe.com>. Yodeling
      in a new classical environment. Refreshing like navigating a
      motorized skateboard through a cathedral naked except for an
      attractive gargoyle pattern of medieval-inspired tattoos on the floor.

      [13] Trio Select is a recent find. Something sent to me by a reader
      of YODEL-AY-EE-OOOO. This is wonderful Caribbean, Haitian
      French-language stuff with plenty of beautiful yodeling within the
      mesmerizing rhythmsŠ

      [14] Anyone care to enlighten me on this performer?

      [15] "Mi Curramberita: Alfredo Gutierrez y su Conjunto Espectaculo".
      Jeremy Rothbaum, someone who has read my yodel book, turned me on to
      this great accordionist in the vallenato style. He plays an
      eccentrics rough and rowdy rootsy accordion and his vocals include
      plenty of falsetto, perhaps alcohol-induced reverie and out-and-out
      yodeling. JR was kind enough to send me a cassette of this
      unavailable LP and notes in his accompanying letter: "he has a truly
      unique approach to the accordion that has less to do with virtuosity
      for it’s own sake than with experimentation with rhythm, timbre and
      register. The accordian used in Vallenato, by the way, is a diatonic
      3 row button accordion with 12 buttons in the left hand."

      [16] Maybe its an apocryphal story - but apocryphal can be useful and
      more instructive than truth sometimes. In the 1940s, Hank was already
      a big regional radio star. but still couldn't break nationally or get
      heard on Nashville's Grand Ole Opry. In 1949, Williams recorded
      "Lovesick Blues." On June 11, he appeared on the Opry. The audience
      demanded some 9 encores of "Lovesick," others say 6, and still
      others, several. Some say the enthusiasm was due to his speaking the
      language of the common folk. Others insist it was the way he moved in
      a sensual gyrating and suggestive manner, which sent women into a
      frenzy. Some even tore at his hair. Still others - and I am one of
      those other others - believes it was his unique break-voice style of
      yodeling that rearranged the way our emotions came into contact with
      words. And this is what had fans fainting. Country star Merle Kilgore
      remembers that when Williams "hit that yodel, they came out of those
      chairs, they threw babies in the air."

      [17] "I sit astride life like a bad rider on a horse. I only owe it
      to the horse's good nature that I am not thrown off at this very
      moment." o Ludwig Wittgenstein // "The Complete Canadian Yodel Song
      Sessions" on Cattle <www.dagmar-anita-binge.de>. Another forgotten
      Canadian cowboy who yodels in a pleasant manner.

      [18] Live Inbreeds by Those Legendary Shack Shakers on Conan Records
      <http://our.tentativetimes.net/rab/shack.html>. are a new-fashioned
      hell-raisin' rockabilly crew from Nashville. Includes "Dump Road
      Yodel" with yodels by Col. J.D. Wilkes and inspiring lyrics: "He goes
      digging for the devil, / with the preacher's pointy head / And sings
      the Dump Road Yodel / till he falls over deadŠ" They are better than
      their undeserved obscurityŠ

      [19] "Sober and Stupid" on Re-Programed <www.re-programed.com>. Drunk
      & wasted. The state where all creativity festers and emerges like a
      fuzzy mold on a suspicious bowl of Jello. Funky tonk. Slurping beer
      out of a broken glass.

      [20] Acres Of Heartache by Johnny Dilks & the Visitacion Valley Boys
      are a West Coast traditionalist band that veers decidedly into
      western swing with a swerve into southern, northern, cajun, and
      elsewhere and goes honky tonk with the best of them, reminding some
      of Hank Williams, Bob Wills, the Louvin Brothers, and Kenny Roberts.
      This disc includes "Yodel Till I Turn Blue."

      [21] "Mike Johnson Black Yodel No. 1" on Roughshod, 1993
      <http://hometown.aol.com/blackyodelno1/myhomepage> Altho Mike Johnson
      [b. 13 June 1946, Washington, D.C.] may be the self-declared "Country
      Music's No.1 Black Yodeler" he has some rights to that claim. He is a
      yodeler of both soul and finesse and that he is basically still
      ignored by the country bigwigs and Nashville schmaltz producers is
      probably what simultaneously saves him from drowning in pap and syrup
      but it also condemns him to a marginality that spells neglect that we
      thought the Outlaws had undone in the late 70s. Things change but
      basically stay even more the same as before. This truck drivin'
      yodelin' guitar-playin' is not only a singer and promoter of the
      oppressed in country music [basically blacks] but he has the
      evangelical zeal to prove to anyone that yodeling is more than just a
      call, gimmick, or attention-getting device. He's got the rigor, joy,
      intensity and sense of indignation to set the music on fire and let
      the yodel be heard in all its octaval richness. A man who has lived a
      rich, adventurous life that has had its fill of tragedy, one can't
      but hear that brimming in the music. He joined the Navy as a
      Cryptologist and served two tours in Vietnam including the Gulf of
      Tonkin, and it is here, ironically, that he really started playing
      guitar. "I played local bars and pubs in the area, and on a lot of
      camping trips singing to the rabbits and the squirrels and raccoons.
      Ha. The guys in the troop liked it but I really wasn't all that good.
      What really went over was that I knew the songs." The songs of Hank
      Williams, Roy Acuff, Jimmie Rodgers, Gene Autry, Johnny Cash, and,
      Roger Miller. In the Navy he met his teacher Nickki. They "hit it off
      because we both liked Hank Williams and Roger Miller and beer! Š he
      thought I had rgw 'potential to be a good hillbilly singer'. He will
      be featured on my forthcoming ROUGH GUIDE TO YODELING as well as the
      subject of an article I am writing on black yodelers.

      [22] "Canned Heat" on Document <www.document-records.com>. Amazing
      vocalist of rapier depth. Clean, mean falsetto that often veers
      sinisterly into yodeling. I got this at a very dingy-windowed store
      the Blues Record Centre right in my neighborhood. A store you are not
      likely to find in this basically residential area. But it is a
      treasure trove of blues, blues lovers, like some speakeasy
      underground we discuss blues over cans of luke warm beer with blues
      aficionado Michel. Here I found lots of great stuff and a blues
      addict proprietor. Mississippi bluesman Tommy Johnson, a Delta-region
      contemporary of Jimmie Rodgers, developed a unique spine-tingling
      falsetto leap - a startling and haunting quality. What a mysterious
      and illuminating master of solemn and rejoicing vocals is the limited
      work of Tommy Johnson that dates from a few sessions in 1928 and
      1929. Victor and Paramount produced these dozen and a half recordings
      which features Johnson's ethereal and eerie falsetto which seems to
      lie in a painful region between somewhere between slave field holler
      and Alpine yodel. His "Cool Drink of Water Blues" is one of the most
      amazing remnants of Delta blues. Thomas Johnson was born in 1896 down
      in the Mississippi Delta, and was well-known than other Delta blues
      masters but he is just as essential to understanding the period
      around the Depression. He was apparently fueled by and perhaps done
      in by his inability to do battle with liquor and various vapors. He
      himself notes his "Canned Heat Blues" while his contemporaries note
      Johnson siphoned the alcohol from shoe polish through a slice of
      white bread. Is this the source of his eerie stark nihilistic forlorn
      falsetto moans [the yodel as a sound more lonesome than any coyote on
      any plain], especially on "Cool Drink Of Water Blues" (regeared by
      Howlin' Wolf as "I Asked For Water (she gave me gasoline)").

      [23] Half-Indian cowboy with some minor hits and this great one-off
      yodel number that certainly dovetails animal [dog] and human yodels
      into this rockabilly-esque number.

      [24] If ever there was a perfect spokesmodel for yodeling it is the
      intelligent and suave Wylie who has that satiny delivery that makes
      his yodeling so acceptable without ever being compromising middle of
      the road. This guy is a rancher and he yodels a lot on all his
      rounder records. Profiled in my YODEL-AY-EE-OOOO. He is also somewhat
      of a musicologist when it comes to these old standards. He and Ranger
      Doug are certainly 2 of the more able ambassadors of yodeling today.

      [25] Princess Ramona is one of those oddities who has created quite a
      persona for herself. Earlier in her career she had a country band
      which once included Tim Buckley! Later, after a life of drugs and
      what-not, she heard the Lord suggest strongly that she could save
      herself if she began yodeling for Him. She did and owes, she is
      convinced, her life to the fact that she yodels to spread the word of
      god. She may talk to god but she won't talk to meŠ has never
      responded to numerous emails.

      [26] The Johnson Sisters were a sister act that varied over the
      years. They were born in Lansing, Michigan, raised on a farm in Grand
      Ledge. They performed "Ridin' Down the Old Texas Trail" in an amateur
      contest at a fair where they won first prize and received a
      quarter-hour appearance on a Saturday afternoon radio show over WKAR
      in Lansing, Michigan. This got them a contract there. In 1943, they
      started touring with Red Foley and Patsy Montana. Ruth and Edith
      perform and yodel on "Moonlight In Switzerland". This single appears
      on the excellent "Hitler & Hell" on Trikont, 2000.

      [27] "Michigan's Yodeling Sweetheart" on Victra <victra@...>. JL
      and former linesman and rhythm, mandolin player I met in Goshen
      Indiana at a yodel event of strange combinations: imagine a small
      progressive Mennonite college town in the middle of the flatlands
      where the people abide by 3 zones and where I spent 3 days doing
      research on Mennonite yodeling with the help of the Mennonite
      Historical Library staff and the Mennonite Historical Society
      archivists and ended up discovering some crazy illuminating stuff.
      The reading was held in a downtown coffeehouse frequented by students
      and locals but this night we had a sizeable crowd that included many
      Mennonites who had never been in such an establishment. JL & PL
      entertained the crowd with their warm and accomplished playing and
      JL's incredibly charming yodeling that is as much lorelei serenade as
      anything else. After the main event [my reading and their
      performance] some actual Mennonite yodelers found their way to the
      stage and did some local Swiss-style Indiana yodeling. What a strange
      piece of rock we live on. We also appeared together on o Stateside
      with Charity Nebbe is a regional show on WUOM <michiganradio.org>,
      Michigan Public Radio. I was their guest on April 25 along with my
      yodeling companions Joyce "Michigan's Yodeling Sweetheart" and Phil
      Leonard, who consistently demonstrate why yodeling is not only fun
      but soulful, expressive and thriving as well. The show was
      pre-recorded in the Ann Arbor studios and will be broadcast Friday
      May 20, 1 PM and will then be presumably archived at WUOM - it can
      also be heard on WVGR 104.1 [Grand Rapids], WFUM 91.1 [Flint], and
      WUOM 91.7 in Ann Arbor/Detroit. The archived show discusses
      YODEL-AY-EE-OOOO: THE SECRET HISTORY OF YODELING AROUND THE WORLD as
      well as the origins of yodeling and some strange and surprising
      samples of yodeling from areas of the world where you would not
      expect to hear yodeling. The show also features Joyce Leonard [and
      Phil]. she discusses yodeling from a practitioner's point of view.
      You will also hear some in-studio yodeling from Joyce. Her/their work
      is definitely worth the search...

      [28] "Yodelin' Country" on Heritage Music / Condor. She performed for
      my gig at Cary Loren's [Monster Island, Destroy All Monsters] great
      bookstore Book Beat in a shopping plaza outside Detroit. She braved a
      snow storm in April to be there and did her epiglottal best. She has
      a warm yodeling voice and tends toward the solemn and Carter Family
      end of vocals with plenty of gospel.

      [29] "Happy Yodeling Cowgirl" on Brookhurst. This is one tireless
      grand dame of yodeling. Still at it into her 70s, teaching young
      people how to yodel in Texas. Janet McBride is Patsy Montana's
      greatest disciple. She's one of only a handful of yodelers who
      performs almost exclusively yodel songs. And this is an homage to the
      ground-breaking and anti-typecasting faux cowgirl, Montana who blazed
      so many trails for women [and yodelers in general] we haven't even
      been able to count them all up. Janet is definitely a soul-mate. This
      commitment shouldn't go unrewarded in an age where performers
      commonly groom their talents to marketplace demographics. She yodels,
      take it or leave it! McBride recalls the first time she "ever let out
      a yodel": "My Mother had the four of us kids playing four corner
      catch so that we would stay clean while we waited for a traveling
      photographer to come and take our picture. We were playing toss with
      an apple because we didn't have a ball. When it came my turn to catch
      the apple I missed it and it rolled into the taller grass. I couldn't
      find it andŠ so as I searched for the apple I started singing a
      little song and added a yodel to it. When I turned around, I realized
      that I had just done something totally new. They were all shocked at
      the 'noise I was making.' I was hooked from that moment on. It was
      spring 1942." She has distinguished herself ever since, on record and
      stage, has won numerous yodeling contests and sang [but didn't yodel]
      a duet with Skeets McDonald as part of the soundtrack to the 1963
      Paul Newman film, Hud.

      [30] The best and sexiest of the rockabilly rocker gals [tight
      sleeveless shirts] who toured with Elvis was great, vivacious and
      eventually joined the legions yodeling for the Lord. It is strange
      that God would have all these people yodel. Must be a more effective
      way to get the message out there.

      [31] This is a special mix for a CD compilation I am doing for a
      dutch label. He is an interesting conceptual post-modern cowboy
      troubadour in the realm of side-show version of Ramblin' Jack Elliot.
      He is from Hamilton Ontario. This is a great yodel.

      [32] "Der Königsjodler" on Philips vinyl. I put him in the mix every
      once in a while to remind us what virtuoso "king of the yodelers"
      yodeling is all about. He is one of the best yodelers ever to have a
      pop record contract. He is the real stuff.

      [33] "The Fugs Final CD [Part 1]" on Artemis. Ever the agit-pop
      groucho Marxists with a bit of yodeling here and there. Ed Sanders is
      profiled in my book. Fugs are one of the most influential bands of
      the past 30-40! Years.

      [34] "Flat Out" on own label, 1990. A rowdy rambunctious send-up of
      yodeling, Canadian satire style.

      [35] "Western Serenade" on Western Serenade <www.lizmasterson.com>. I
      am not one for goofy rodeo shows, combining standards, cliches,
      clownish behavior with this obsequious obsession with the need to
      entertain the masses in their insatiable appetite to be almost
      perpetually under the soporific influence of their right to be
      entertained 24 hours per day. That is, until I met some of the cowboy
      entertainers - you know, yodelers with rope tricks and cowboy poetry
      and dubious jokes about cattle genitalia. Well, that all changed when
      I met Randy Erwin and then met LM & SB. There is a small hole of
      opportunity that is punched into the middle of the face called the
      mouth where - if done right - entertainment of a glib and glitzy
      nature can go throat and tonsil in hand with deep-felt emotional
      rendering. Laughter and giddiness does not preclude big deep
      emotions. I read with LM & SB in Boulder at the Center for the
      American West and then went out with master poet-yodeler Jack Collom,
      who despite oxygen tubes running out of his nose [emphysema from 40
      years of smoking] was able to do some glorious extended yodeling
      during the gig. His "Blue Heron / Blue Yodel" single is something to
      be reckoned with. But back to the after-event when me & JC & LM went
      out drinking. When a pitcher of vocal brew is ordered up you know
      some lifetimes is going to fall loose on the sticky table and indeed
      it did. Incredible night.

      [36] Not much is known about this eccentric British yodeler of
      novelty songs - when done right, the lyrics are every bit as pungent
      as Cole Porter. But he is certainly worthy of further research. Any
      clues? Briefly profiled in my book. Born as George Harrington in 1905
      who had some music hall hits in the 1930s. Other yodel single:
      "Yodelling Mad Lost Mountaineer".
      --
      * 2 Groucho quotes courtesy of Eduard du Bois, my guest on WTM in near futureŠ

      The interesting aspect of doing a periodic yodel show is to see how
      many new sounds I collect along the way in a seeming organized but
      totally coincidental way. They just come in and aroundŠ Such as
      finally finding Strike Up The Band [1927] Music by George Gershwin,
      lyrics by Ira Gershwin, book by George S. Kaufmann, opened at Times
      Square Theatre 14 January, 1930 (191 perfs). Is a poignant anti-war
      musical satire of inspired lunacy in the spirit of Dr. Strangelove or
      Duck Soup. Better yet, it employs yodeling as the secret weapon that
      finally puts an end to a ridiculous war. Yodeling as disarming
      vocalization, you could say. Or the Arthur Miles yodeling
      throat-singing cowboy, or Sally Nyolo, or more yodeling activity by
      Sainkho, making contact with the Laotian Hmong people who emigrated
      to the US, and in the mean time, finishing the almost-final selection
      for my Rough Guide to Yodeling. I have also commenced with the next
      stage of research work for the yodel documentary I am making with
      filmmaker Arno Kranenbourg.

      Highly Recommended:
      o THEO LOEVENDIE MEETS KRISTINA FUCHS SONIC UNIT
      Theo Loevendie = soprano sax, Kristina Fuchs = vocals, Jeroen van
      Vliet = piano, Florian Zenker = guitar, Gulli Gudmundsson = bass,
      Pascal Vermeer = drums
      Composer and jazz aficionado Theo Loevendie first heard Kristina
      Fuchs in November 2003, and immediately asked her to join his
      (classical) ensemble Ziggurat. [He also was enthused by the
      revelation that she yodels as was I] She has also collaborated on his
      famed "Six Turkish Folk Poems". Fuchs became curious about
      Loevendie's earlier career as a jazz player - what did he sound like
      back then - well, come on the 27th and hear! The new record even
      contains an audio allusion to the yodel which Loevendie, I hear,
      wrote for Fuchs after hearing she yodeled during my appearance on a
      national Dutch late-night variety show, Vara-Laat. He is something of
      a yodel fan and wrote "Cornemeuse" in response to hearing that about
      Fuchs secret yodeling past. Should be a special evening. I am
      definitely going
      Bimhuis
      October 27
      21.00
      14 euro

      Saw the world premiere of o FAUST, F.W. Murnau's 1926 silent movie
      with a new soundtrack courtesy of Willem Breuker, on Saturday 22
      October in the spectacular new Muziekgebouw aan het Ij [which houses
      the new Ijsbreker and Bimhuis], in Amsterdam. Huge screen, pithy
      dry-humored intro by the modest Breuker on stage, with full
      Kollektief delivering a riveting and poignant soundtrack that seems
      very well attuned to the high glam and emotional over-wroughtness of
      this incredibly poetic and expressionistic take on the Fuast legend.
      Through Jozef van Wissem, I met Tetuzi Akiyama, a minimalist from
      Japan who on his new disc "pre-Existence" [excellent review in new
      Wire] delivers ruminating slowed-down blues in a Delta blues style at
      16 rpms that recalls not only the Delta greats but also John Fahey
      and strangely enough some of the work of Paul Horn who investigated
      the acoustics of the Taj Mahal and our own psycho-acoustical
      what came to mind listening to his record. He has toured with Van
      Wissem. I will feature both Loevendie/Fuchs and this disc on the
      24.10 Monday show of WTM.

      ~~~~
      Notes on other Patapoe audionauts & nuts:
      o Jonges v/d Vlakte [Boys from the Plains]: "De cottonpickin' Jongens
      Mondays @ PTP

      o Dr. Doo Wop is one of the most eccentric and stimulating radio
      shows anywhere. Sartre, DeSade, Doo Wop and music from the gonads.
      Now on Radio Patapoe on Sunday 17.00-18.00 Amsterdam time

      o Radio Antarctica is in temporary exile in the UK. Expect periodic
      patriotic broadcasts to rouse the troops on the mainland.

      o Rara Runnynose: "wonky-tonk, flop'n'roll, kids musique and
      infomercials live in a haunted house. tech? NO!" 17.00-19.00 Tuesdays

      o POLYPHAKE PLAPPERLAPAPP: "polyphone audioerosion featuring
      occasional beatweirdniks in an plaperlappap assemblage hosted by
      F.Fiasko 22:30-?? Wednesdays

      o Radio Worm: Rotterdam-based radio collective presents inventive
      programming to baffle all preconceptions. Midnight Sundays and in
      autopilot rotation.

      o HET PROGRAMMA: industrial lounge for collapsing people. Tuesdays 21:00
      ~~~~
      * new home of Amsterdam's Radio Vrije Keyser: 89.6 FM
      * Radio Tonka, The Hague's 10-year-old free radio <www.radiotonka.nl/>
      * Radio Wanklank 90.9 FM, free radio in Wageningen <www.wanklank.nl>
      * Radio Libertaire, Paris 89.3 <http://dune2.info:5000/radiolib.m3u>
      * Black Sifichi / Audiometric is broadcast on :
      Aligre FM / 93.1 Paris (sat 22.30 - sun 7:00) http://www.aligrefm.org
      Eko Des Garrigues 88.5 FM Montpellier ( 19h - 22h)
      http://www.ekodesgarrigues.com
      RTF 95.4 FM Limoges (wed 21h-23h) http://www.rtflimoges.com)

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 2500± READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK*
      o Old playlists archived at <http://www.wfmu.org/~bart/
      o Selected Playlists at http://www.romanapoli.com/black/wreckthismess.html
      o Someday: <http://wreckthismess.com/>
      o Check out NEW excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete
      on Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/>