Wrecking Women[s] & Beefheart

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2005

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: 305: Women[s]

      PTP in the ether: 88.3FM
      Where purity & puerility are synonymous
      streaming via internet:

      26 September 2005 / 17.00-19.00
      o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

      "Music gives the universe soul, the mind wings, and the imagination a
      chance to escape.
      It gives seriousness charm and happiness and joy to all life."
      o Plato

      "As long as a woman can look ten years younger than her own
      daughter, she is perfectly satisfied."
      o Oscar Wilde

      "I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments
      that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute."
      o Rebecca West

      o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

      Valen Lagoon 2 > Ellen Band vs David Lee Myers [1]
      Di-Li-Do > Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares [2]
      Grandma Rose's Dreml (Little Dream) > Ellen Weller [3]
      Cape Vieven 4 > Ellen Band vs David Lee Myers [1]
      Ei Mori Roujke [-8rpm] > Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares [2]
      Cape Vieven 6 > Ellen Band vs David Lee Myers [1]
      Lalu Lalu > Niobe [4]
      Encounter 1 > Iris Garrelfs [5]
      Ataypura > Yma Sumac [6]

      "When women go wrong, men go right after them."
      o Mae West

      Encounter 4 > Iris Garrelfs [5]
      Chuncho > Yma Sumac [6]
      Everybody Shares a Lounge > Niobe [4]
      Sprout and Bean > Joann Newson [7]
      Kastransport mit einmischung des Herrn Cowboy > Niobe [4]
      Domina > Erika Stucky [8]
      Mother Stands for Comfort > Kate Bush [9]
      Where There's a Woman [Beefheart] > Sweetie [10]
      Inflammatory Writ > Joann Newson [7]
      Well > Captain Beefheart [11]
      Barbagal > Laïs [12]
      The Witch Doctor Life [Beefheart] > Global Transmission [10]
      Fallin Ditch / Sugar n Spikes > Captain Beefheart [11]
      ?? ?? > Mekons vs Kathy Acker [13]
      Nola > Carolina Cotton [14]
      Hairpie: Bake 1 > Captain Beefheart [10]
      Run Paint Run Run [Beefheart] > Big Mess Orchestra [10]
      Apes-ma [Beefheart] > Radio Eris [10]
      My Human Gets Me Blues > Captain Beefheart [11]
      Sugar Bowl [Beefheart] > Jane Gilday [10]
      Mothra > Monster Island [15]
      Watermelon Overture > DJ Rupture [16]
      Crime Will Never Pay > Carolina Cotton [14]
      I Threw It All Away > Bob Dylan [17]
      I Only Want a Buddy Not A Sweetheart > Janet McBride [18]
      Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On > Wanda Jackson [19]
      You Always Keep Me in Hot Water Over You > Carolina Cotton [14]
      Dog on the Sidewalk > Deerhoof [20]
      Rollin' Log Blues > Lottie Beaman-Kimbrough [21]
      Chicks Dig Jerks > Bill Hicks [22]
      Libertango > Grace Jones [23]

      o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

      "Show me a woman who doesn't feel guilt and I'll show you a man."
      o Erica Jong

      [1] "Two Ships" on Pogus <www.pogus.com>. Mesmerizing collaboration
      that pours natural and synthetic in the same infected lagoon. Like
      radio from a wet star.

      [2] "Volume 2" on Cellier / 4AD. Despite the pop and faux trad
      leanings, this material remains mesmerizing. You realize the initial
      delight in the surprise of hearing them for the first time has been
      replaced by appreciation. There is something hopeful for humankind
      when people sing together like this. I am not sure why that isŠ

      [3] "Spirits Little Dreams & Improvisations" on Circumvention
      <www.circumvnetionmusic.com> Great and inventive and dynamic and
      growing on me like goose flesh.

      [4] "Radioersatz" on Tomlab <www.tomlab.de>. Throw a live radio tuned
      to a questionable station into a vase of cut flowers arranged in a
      Japanese manner along an abandoned never finished section of autobahn
      as filmed by Wenders with some too-sweet mulled wine and a William
      Gibson novel held open under your underarm - the pages getting sweaty
      - while tapping on some forgotten crystal in a dusty cabinet and you
      get the picture.

      [5] "Specified Encounters" on bip-Hop <www.bip-hop.com>. I have been
      waiting a long time for this solo project by the very talented IG.
      She seems to embody or enthroat the best of the Lorelei's charms,
      combining electronic control with an element of Yoko Ono's conscious
      primalism, with the ethereal wafting vocals that recall the tender
      electro-mediated cyborgian femme vocals of the ambient mid-90s, both
      mediated- compromised and piercingly-earnest. How a modern artist can
      do that is the magic of creation and music. She also works with
      other electronic sonic manipulators like si-cut, Burnt Friedman, To
      Rococo RotŠ She also creates site-specific installations,
      co-organises the Sprawl audio happenings in London, hosts a radio
      show on Resonance FM, DJs, and her photos have appeared in the Wire,
      the Face, and other glossies. This is definitely worth checking out
      because if you like the interface of the most heavenly junction of
      the human voice with the most tenuous aspects of electronica then
      this is essential.

      [6] "The Ultimate Yma Sumac Collection" on Capitol. One of the most
      unique singers of any century and any culture. She is to voice what
      crop circles are to pagan mystification. Her voice is the sonic
      synecdoche of enchantment. And, yes, she yodelsŠ

      [7] Joanna Newsom's has a brilliant MO that is not far from Laura
      Cantrell and Gillian Welch, which is sort of Appalachian-meets-post
      modern. Rootsy and yet flippant and almost rootlessly other worldlyŠ
      She grew up in a stimulating musical family in California with a
      mother as concert pianist and her father as a guitarist, with
      siblings also tuned to music. Harp, piano and eccentric vocalsŠ Her
      discography: Walnut Whales EP, Yarn and Glue EP. And a great debut
      album withThe Milk-Eyed Mender, in spring [2004] on Drag City. "I
      slept all day / I woke with distaste / And i railed / And i raved /
      That the difference between / The sprout and the bean / It is a
      golden ring / It is a twisted string / And you can ask the counselor
      / You can ask the king / And they'll say the same thing / And it's a
      funny thingŠ And as i said / I slept as though dead / Dreaming
      seamless dreams / Of lead / When you go away / I am big-boned and fey
      / In the dust of the day / And in the dirt of the dayŠ" [Thanx

      [8] "Princess" on Traumton <www.traumton.de>. Is that rare intriguing
      creature who manages to combine experimentation, iconoclasm and a
      deep love for traditional pop standards. Her live performance is
      difficult to capture on CD but this gives some approximation of this
      impetuous, enchanting chanteuse who manages to wreck pop drivel and
      overrated rock [my prejudice] to the point that in the wreckage you
      begin to see her point - there is something magical in a pop song no
      matter how popular or despised in its initial reign of popularity.
      This requires a lot of coonvincing when it comes to me and she does
      it with elan and humor and a rhythm section composed of trombone and
      tuba! What could be sexier than a woman in a tight elegant dress,
      telling dirty jokes, while squeezing a toy accordion?

      [9] "Hounds of Love" on EMI 1985 vinyl. One of the strangest pop star
      voices ever. "Mother stands for comfort / mother will hide the

      [10] "Mama Kangaroos" on Genus <www.genusrecords.com>. There are some
      killer trax on here - I played them. See above. There are some others
      but there are also some real lame interpretation - interp perps! But,
      still, all in all a lively selection/collection of covers of the old
      master of enlightened metamystical post-dada abstract gravel poesie.
      One outstanding cut is certainly the fairly straight singing of
      Gilday who through sheer talent and commitment to the spirit of
      Beefheart does not have to turn to any gimmickry.

      [11] "Trout Mask Replica" on WEA vinyl. Circumventing all logical
      discourse to keep survival interesting. One of the first in the rock
      world whose weirdness meant deification. Good painter. Dutch blood.

      [12] "Laïs" on Alea <http://www.lais.be/>. on Alea, Flanders has its
      own celestial choir, out-of-this-world polyphonic music that bridges
      the seeming gap between Medieval and the evil 21st and makes it sound
      like nothing new, everything new. Thanks to Marieke for turning me on
      to this. Fans include 16 HorsepowerŠ Pretty polyphony: Jorunn
      Bauweraerts, Nathalie Delcroix, Annelies Brosens

      [13] Consciousness-raising and then having it squashed by the
      nihilism and post-Celine authors scurrilous fictions. The Mekons are
      still one of the most amazing best-kept secrets of all-time.

      [14] "Yodel Yodel Yodel" on Binge <www.dagmar-anita-binge.de>. Simply
      put: This is one of my favorite records of 2004. A mostly forgotten
      renaissance woman who acted, sang and yodeled and wrote some great
      songs. Really can't emphasize how funny and witty her lyrics are and
      how boisterous and joyous her yodeling is.

      [15] "Dream Tiger" on The End Is Here <www.thebookbeat.com>. Post
      Destroy All Monsters music composed by Loren and sounding like a
      cross between Seeger children's songs and lullabies and the Swans
      during a tender moment. Or the Jickets doing Emily Dickinson. Quite
      moving, even though the songs deal with their fascination for
      monsters and goblins, a total avoidance of real content that gives it
      the air of DIY fairy taleŠ

      [16] Great post-modern regurgitated gems coated in the puke of
      someone who knows fine cuisine.

      [17] "Nashville Skyline" on Columbia vinyl. Dylan post-motorcycle
      accident mellow. Goes to roots - for some, uncomfortably so. I like
      this but "New Morning" even more.

      [18] "Happy Yodeling Cowgirl" on Brookhurst. This is one tireless
      grand dame of yodeling. Still at it into her 70s, teaching young
      people how to yodel in Texas. Janet McBride is Patsy Montana's
      greatest disciple. She's one of only a handful of yodelers who
      performs almost exclusively yodel songs. And this is an homage to the
      ground-breaking and anti-typecasting faux cowgirl, Montana who blazed
      som many trails for women [and yodelers in general] we haven't even
      been able to count them all up. Janet is definitely a soul-mate. This
      commitment shouldn't go unrewarded in an age where performers
      commonly groom their talents to marketplace demographics. She yodels,
      take it or leave it! McBride recalls the first time she "ever let out
      a yodel": "My Mother had the four of us kids playing four corner
      catch so that we would stay clean while we waited for a traveling
      photographer to come and take our picture. We were playing toss with
      an apple because we didn't have a ball. When it came my turn to catch
      the apple I missed it and it rolled into the taller grass. I couldn't
      find it andŠ so as I searched for the apple I started singing a
      little song and added a yodel to it. When I turned around, I realized
      that I had just done something totally new. They were all shocked at
      the 'noise I was making.' I was hooked from that moment on. It was
      spring 1942." She has distinguished herself ever since, on record and
      stage, has won numerous yodeling contests and sang [but didn't yodel]
      a duet with Skeets McDonald as part of the soundtrack to the 1963
      Paul Newman film, Hud.

      [20] Wonderful enchanting vocals. Thanx Grrrrrt-Jan.

      [21] "Kansas City Blues" on Document. Another great label located in
      Europe dedicated to deep and obscure American roots gems. Kimbrough
      is a wonderful belter with much finesse. Although apparently she was
      so ugly that yodeler-whistler-producer-label owner Holmes often used
      photos of Lottie's sister for publicity shots.

      [22] "Release" I dunno what to say. Does this suck or does it just
      smell that way and why did I keep listening wondering whether it was
      really bad?
      [24] "Island Life" on Island vinyl, 1985. One of the coolest chicks
      she made many of a man and robot shiver until the bolts shook loose
      from whatever erectile appendages we might still have at our beckon

      o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

      o Erika Stucky proves that sexiness does not preclude yodeling, a toy
      accordion, a trombone [MUETTER] and a tuba [SASS]. ON TOUR WITH THE
      PRINCESS-THING < www.Erika Stucky.com >

      22. 10. Moscow (RUS), Video Dom
      23. 10. Munster-Nordrhein-Westfahlen (D), Landesmuseum
      28. 10. Oberdiessbach (CH), Schlossmuhle 20.30
      24. 11. Munchen (D), Theater im Haus der Kunst 20.30
      25. 11. Wangen im Allgau (D) , Jazzpoint
      26. 11. Kirchheim unter Teck (D), Bastion www.club-bastion.de

      Christy Doran (g) Erika Stucky (voc) Fredy Studer (dr) Jamaaladeen
      Tacuma (e-b): Play the Music of Jimi Hendrix:

      1. Dec.: Luzern (CH)
      2. Dec.: Nidau, (CH)
      3. Dec.: Zurich (CH), Moods
      5. Dec.: Cologne
      6. Dec.: Frankfurt
      7. Dec.: Regensburg (D)
      8. Dec.: Leeds (UK)
      9. Dec.: Illmenau (D)
      10. Dec.: Bruxelles
      11. Dec.: Wien
      12. Dec.: Salzburg

      Theo Loevendie = soprano sax, Kristina Fuchs = vocals, Jeroen van
      Vliet = piano, Florian Zenker = guitar, Gulli Gudmundsson = bass,
      Pascal Vermeer = drums
      Composer and jazz aficionado Theo Loevendie first heard Kristina
      Fuchs in November 2003, and immediately asked her to join his
      (classical) ensemble Ziggurat. [He also was enthused by the
      revelation that she yodels as was I] She has also collaborated on his
      famed "Six Turkish Folk Poems". Fuchs became curious about
      Loevendie's earlier career as a jazz player - what did he sound like
      back then - well, come on the 27th and hear! Should be a special
      evening. I am definitely going
      Bimhuis october 27
      14 euro

      o FAUST, Friendrich Wilhem Murnau 1926 silent movie has a new
      soundtrack courtesy of Willem Breuker, which will have its world
      premiere [I think] on Saturday 22 October
      Grote Zaal
      Muziekgebouw aan het Ij, Amsterdam

      20:30 uur

      Series: FILM EN MUZIEK
      Normaal price ¤ 25,00
      MIJ-kaart* ¤ 22,50
      CJP ¤ 20,00
      Stadspas ¤ 20,00
      65+ ¤ 20,00

      Faust (1926) F.W. Murnau / Music by Willem Breuker, BVHaast, 2005

      F.W Murnau was one of the giants of the Silent Film Era. His most
      famous work is 1922ís Nosferatu but his interpretation of the Faust
      legend was his most expansive work, also his last before leaving his
      native Germany. That Willem Breuker would choose to write new music
      for this film should surprise no one. Breuker has never backed away
      from a challenge and he is cinematic enough in scope to be
      successful. And up to a point he is. The question is what he was
      trying to do. The function of music in silent films is much different
      than into what modern day soundtracks have evolved. With a choppier
      flow of action (due both to that lack of dialogue and the limitations
      of filmmaking at the time), the music had to keep things moving
      forward and only occasionally sync up with the action on the screen.
      The original print had an orchestral score unsurprisingly Wagnerian,
      but the new edition is in many ways jarring, the music often clashing
      in feel with the action onscreen. At first this is because of the
      disparity between modern recording techniques and ìancientî
      filmmaking ones. After that contrast is absorbed, the music is often
      too upbeat for the film, making what is arguably a creepy moralistic
      film campy. Of course Breuker has been accused of campiness before
      and one wonders whether he is being misinterpreted. The Kollektief is
      a wonderfully funny group, almost slapstick, but still one of the
      tightest ensembles around playing extremely complicated music. That
      same dynamic is here and makes for an interesting dichotomy between
      sight and sound. This viewerís interpretation is that Breuker sees in
      this movie all the excesses and kitsch of a previous era but also
      understands how seriously it was taken upon release and tried to
      write music to reconcile the two. I am going to this as well...

      Notes on other Patapoe audionauts & nuts:
      o Jonges v/d Vlakte [Boys from the Plains]: "De cottonpickin' Jongens
      Mondays @ PTP

      o Dr. Doo Wop is one of the most eccentric and stimulating radio
      shows anywhere. Sartre, DeSade, Doo Wop and music from the gonads.
      Now on Radio Patapoe on Sunday 17.00-18.00 Amsterdam time

      o Radio Antarctica is in temporary exile in the UK. Expect periodic
      patriotic broadcasts to rouse the troops on the mainland.

      o Rara Runnynose: "wonky-tonk, flop'n'roll, kids musique and
      infomercials live in a haunted house. tech? NO!" 17.00-19.00 Tuesdays

      o POLYPHAKE PLAPPERLAPAPP: "polyphone audioerosion featuring
      occasional beatweirdniks in an plaperlappap assemblage hosted by
      F.Fiasko 22:30-?? Wednesdays

      o Radio Worm: Rotterdam-based radio collective presents inventive
      programming to baffle all preconceptions. Midnight Sundays and in
      autopilot rotation.

      o HET PROGRAMMA: industrial lounge for collapsing people. Tuesdays 21:00
      * new home of Amsterdam's Radio Vrije Keyser: 89.6 FM
      * Radio Tonka, The Hague's 10-year-old free radio <www.radiotonka.nl/>
      * Radio Wanklank 90.9 FM, free radio in Wageningen <www.wanklank.nl>
      * Radio Libertaire, Paris 89.3 <http://dune2.info:5000/radiolib.m3u>
      * Black Sifichi / Audiometric is broadcast on :
      Aligre FM / 93.1 Paris (sat 22.30 - sun 7:00) http://www.aligrefm.org
      Eko Des Garrigues 88.5 FM Montpellier ( 19h - 22h)
      RTF 95.4 FM Limoges (wed 21h-23h) http://www.rtflimoges.com)

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      o Old playlists archived at <http://www.wfmu.org/~bart/
      o Selected Playlists at http://www.romanapoli.com/black/wreckthismess.html
      o Someday: <http://wreckthismess.com/>
      o Check out NEW excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete
      on Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/>

      CONTACT ninplant@... FOR REMOVAL