Wrecking Beached Memories

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2005

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: 300: Beached Memories

      PTP in the ether: 88.3FM
      Where purity & puerility are synonymous
      streaming via internet:
      <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>

      1 August 2005 / 17.00-19.00

      "Total physical and mental inertia are highly agreeable, much more so
      than we allow ourselves to imagine. A beach not only permits
      such inertia but enforces it, thus neatly eliminating all problems of
      guilt. It is now
      the only place in our overly active world that does."
      o John Kenneth Galbraith

      "A ship on the beach is a lighthouse to the sea"
      o Dutch Proverb

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Beach Chant & Wayward Yodels & General Sunny Babble > DJ Pal5 [1]
      Come to the Moments > Si-cut.db [2]
      Signé Dionysos > Francis Dhomont [3]
      Before Beach Archives > Si-cut.db [2]
      Brownsville Turnaround on the Tex-Mex border > KLF [4]
      Pulling out of Ricardo & the Dusk is Falling Fast > KLF [4]
      Six Hours out of Louisiana, Black Coffee > KLF [4]
      Marine > Francis Dhomont [3]
      Undercurrents > Marco Fernandes [5]
      On Some Faraway Beach > Eno [6]
      Beauty > Willem Breuker Kollektief [7]
      Tan Gentle > Si-cut.db [2]
      Un Certain Embarquement > Francis Dhomont [3]
      Waddenzee Suite > Willem Breuker Kollektief [7]
      Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot Generique Debut > Jacques Tati vs
      Romains Alain [8]
      Les Vacances: Departs Vacance Gare > Jacques Tati vs Romains Alain [8]
      Les Vacances Ambiances Restuarant > Jacques Tati vs Romains Alain [8]

      maggie and millie and molly and may
      went down to the beach (to play one day)

      and maggie discovered a shell that sang
      so sweetly she couldn't remember her troubles, and

      millie befriended a stranded star
      who's rays five languid fingers were;

      and molly was chased by a horrible thing
      which raced sideways while blowing bubbles:and

      may came home with a smooth round stone
      as small as a world and as large as alone.

      For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
      it's always ourselves we find in the sea."

      e.e. cummings

      Les Vacances Tennis Theme Piano > Jacques Tati vs Romains Alain [1]
      Les Vacances Ambiances Retour Vacances > Jacques Tati vs Romains Alain [8]
      Memories > John Mayall [9]
      Miracle > Gabrielle Proy [10]
      Constant Rowing > BBC Sound FX [11]
      The Lights of Baton Rouge Pass By > KLF [4]
      Hauling Boat Up Beach > BBC Sound FX [11]
      Miracle > Gabrielle Proy [10]
      Island Harvest > Albert Ayler [12]
      Sea-Side Special > Jah Wobble [13]
      Lagom > Gabrielle Proy [10]
      Hear the Wind Howl > Leo Kottke [14]
      Sea Animal & Flute Duet > Glub Glub Orchestra [15]

      It is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit
      in Florida. In Kentucky, "No female shall appear in a bathing suit on
      any highway within this state unless she be escorted by at least two
      officers or unless she be armed with a club". In Connorsville,
      Wisconsin no man shall shoot off a gun while his female partner is
      having a sexual orgasm.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      [1] Daughter Paloma is starting to understand the power of radio, the
      manipulation of her own voice, throwing it out and listening
      enchantingly as it comes cascading back into her giggle. I take her
      with me about 4 or 5 times per year. As soon as we are inside the
      barricaded door, she asks when she can go on mikeŠ

      [2] "From Tears: Beach Archive" on Bip-Hop <www.bip-hop.com>. Doug
      Benford gives the emotional depth to glitches and static to create a
      pretty good approximation of what we hear while on seaside holiday.
      Thus, an audio place to rejoice and relax. Benford explored waterways
      and seafronts in a wide variety of world locations [Athens to
      Vancouver] to create a Beachboy music for the post-Pole set. Highly
      recommended.

      [3] "Acousmatrix VIII-IX: Mouvances-Metaphores" on BVHaast
      <www.bvhaast.nl>. One of the most dynamic of the electronic-ambience
      composers. He has an enchanting yet dynamic sound that seems to be
      eternally latched to one's dreams. Lots of children playing, beach
      sounds, ambiences full of landscape. One of 2005 best.

      [4] "Chill Out" on KLF. I think it is this intrepid poetic ambient
      music that really made it click for me back in 1990. Here seemed
      musicians interested in pursuing the same dynamic between dream,
      story-telling and orchestrated coincidental ambiences. This CD works
      like a road movie, like a Wenders or Mallick journey across forgotten
      land.

      [5] "Hybrid Vigor" on Accretions <www.accretions.com>.
      Portuguese-Japanese composer multi-musician is a brilliant complex
      dynamic collaged set of musical ambiences that stand up to repeated
      listenings and inevitably lead to beach like speculations.

      [6] "Here Come the Warm Jets" on Island, 1973. Making the logical
      connection between a drug high, electronically-induced trance-like
      state and laying around in the sun on some perfect beachŠ

      [7] "Music For His Films / Johan van der Keuken" on BVHaast
      <www.bvhaast.nl>. Incredibly beautiful and informative digipackage by
      this very active jazz musician, archivist, label owner and
      impresario. Music for JvdK's films. An incredibly inventive/poetic
      Dutch documentary filmmaker who still must get his due worldwide. But
      now he is dead. He had a broad range of subjects he was interested
      in: a creative blind child, Muybridge, the Shallows nature sanctuary
      between Holland and Germany and Denmark, Coronation Day 1980,
      squatters, young factory workers in Peru, PLO, painter-poet Lucebert,
      money, German occupation of Amsterdam.

      [8] Tati is proof that the French can be funny. He was a genius of
      both visual/kinetic comedy but also more sublime and audio-based
      humor. I can watch his films over and over especially the fountain
      scene in Mon Oncle, the hotel scenes of M. Hulot and the waiting room
      scenes in PlaytimeŠ "Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot" may be one of
      the greatest beach movies of all time. Certainly beats Jaws or
      Annette Funicello or the Endless SummerŠ

      [9] "Memories" on Polydor, 1971. He actually was my first serious
      intro to blues. There is still something disarmingly genuine about
      him and his blues style. Here we get an autobiography of his early
      years: "Whe I was a boy of eleven I never saw my pa / Never
      understood what divorces were, I hadn't grown that farŠ / Going to
      the seaside once a year, castles in the sand / Going to the
      fairground with my pennies in my handŠ"

      [10] "Soundscape Compositions" on Gproy <g.proy@...>. Composer
      and sound artist from Vienna. She manages to capture and frame the
      comings and goings, the busy-ness of human endeavor in a manner that
      is both captivating and revealing. And, yes, indeed, her "Wien West
      Bahnhof" manages to arouse hundreds of memories of trips by rail. In
      "Habana" she manages to capture the very Caribbean sounds of this
      Cuban capital that holds an eternal fascination for thousands of
      artists and musicians. An artist makes the everyday [the beach, the
      factory] magical and this Proy does in an elegant provocative manner.
      I am always a sucker for found sounds of children playing and beach
      sounds.

      [11] It is amazing how even generic sounds can trigger memories
      involving water. In this case I am brought back to canoeing with my
      college girl friend on the Huron River and finding what appeared to
      be a bloated human carcass floating in the water. The ensuing local
      cop interference and mishandling of the affair made me forever doubt
      the abilities of the police at being anything other than
      entertainment on a Keystone level and human cudgels in the hands of
      the wrong people. I am also reminded of rowing with my brother on
      lakes in the Adirondacks during vacation, just floating, looking deep
      into the coastal waters for turtles and fish.

      [12] Kick-ass reflections of a poet and saxophonic blaster.

      [13] "The Legend Lives On" Jah Wobble has always had this ability to
      tread [and fall off] the sharp tight rope and dangle by the end of
      his long nose of limitless pretensions - rather pretensions than safe
      recyclings. But his dubby basswork is still essential and
      groundbreaking in 1981Š

      [14] "Mudlark" on Capitol. Great froggy non-singing voice, wonderful
      lyrics of picaresque nonsense and a wonderfully warm virtuoso on
      guitar. With levity and not prowessŠ Liner notes: "Sitting beside 2
      nuns on the balcony, I dangled my microphone over the edge and waited
      for something to happen. The nuns got worried and left so I was alone
      with y fruity feet, my Magnavox, and an empty room. For all that
      bother, and a chapel full or empty isn't very thrilling, I wound up
      with a tape of a cleaning lady performing on her Hoover. That's when
      I decided to record my own stuff."

      [15] Weird stuff by Hystero, who is Frits the psychonaut who used to
      do a brilliant short program on VPRO consisting of unique thematic
      mixes of obscure odd audio obscurities, he also did something similar
      on Radio 100 with DJ Milo.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Still quite out of order as far as sequence but
      catching up. This was my 300th show at Patpaoe that goes back to my
      earliest shows in the Silo in 1996! It means I am probably
      approaching 800 shows done on Patapoe + 100 + WFMU + Radio Libertaire
      [not including guest slots here and there on these stns as well as
      others].

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ What a beach allows for is a kind of geographical
      equivalent of deep meditation and reverie. The sea, sun, and sand all
      combine to enchant and relax. Dutch beaches [unlike American beaches]
      are not littered with bad radio and overamped cd players. It is
      relatively quiet except for the incredible memory-arousing of
      childrens' glee, waves and breeze. And trigger thousands of memories
      of early bike trips through the dunes, of playing in the water [just
      like I see Paloma doing now - uncanny]. Actually, the last time we
      went together just before the end of summer vacation to Castricum
      [bike to train rental bike through dunes to beach] it was 4:15 PM and
      we were just about thinking about packing up to leave when Paloma
      went off by herself down to the water at extreme lowtide and there
      she did this kind of kinetic, totally natural and un-self-conscious
      dance involving her singing, the tossing of sand and seaweed and
      twirling and prancing in the water along the wet sandbars with sun in
      the background with her periodically breaking out of a pirouette
      every so often to wave gleefully my way. This went on for about 45
      minutes before I had to call her back in.

      What the beach really is, then, is a perfect mnemonic locale, a place
      that allows reverie and memory to be sorted out and recombined. I
      remember times of arriving in Long Branch as a child at 8:30 AM as
      the first people on the beach, I remember my disillusioning first
      trip to Coney Island, I remember almost drowning at Sandy Hook, I
      remember writing a short story about the mystical aspects of that
      near drowning, I remember never telling anyone, certainly not my
      mother; I remember getting lost on the beach [this is how you learn
      about undertow and tides] at Sandy Hook and a lifeguard carrying me
      up the lifeguard stand and holding me high in the air and blowing his
      whistle until my father retrieved me. I remember pixie and randy
      wanderings along the Long Island shore, slowly turning a bright pink;
      I remember strange sexual trysts on a Spanish beach under moonlight,
      I remember the countless times I felt like Antoine Doinel [in 400
      Blows] upon arriving on the beach, a moment of incredible
      exhilaration [followed by feelings of entrapment]; I remember nude
      beaches in Spain; I remember the strange actions of a girl on the
      beaches of Ocean Grove that led to my writing an entire novel based
      on this event called Ocean Groove, Ocean Grave that captures [for me
      anyway] the spirit of the Jersey beach townŠ

      It also allows you to temporarily reside in that happy carefree
      feeling that you may have had as a kid and it makes you forget how
      stupid our everyday world is and how easily I could have gotten upset
      by the following item - but instead I just chalked it up to the
      incomprehensibility of the average human being's purposes in life. I
      just don't get it.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Reagan voted 'greatest American' [via bradlay]: An
      old item: Former US President Ronald Reagan was voted the "greatest
      American" of all time. 2.4 million Americans cast their vote in the
      poll, organised by the Discovery Channel and AOL. Reagan topped a
      list of 10 contenders, which featured six former presidents. He edged
      out Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King. Albert Einstein was
      nowhere to be found while George W Bush and Bill Clinton are both in
      the top 10. This says a number of things: the voters are idiots who
      have nothing better to do with their time; that Americans are not
      nearly as anti-government or elitism as they seem to think; that
      people consider history anything that happened 10 minutes ago and
      anything occurring more than a few years ago is the victim of willful
      amnesia.

      Top 10 greatest Americans
      1 Ronald Reagan
      2 Abraham Lincoln
      3 Martin Luther King
      4 George Washington
      5 Benjamin Franklin
      6 George W Bush
      7 Bill Clinton
      8 Elvis Presley
      9 Oprah Winfrey
      10 Franklin D Roosevelt

      Notes on other Patapoe audionauts & nuts:
      * Jonges v/d Vlakte [Boys from the Plains]: "De cottonpickin' Jongens
      Mondays @ PTP

      * Dr. Doo Wop is one of the most eccentric and stimulating radio
      shows anywhere. Sartre, DeSade, Doo Wop and music from the gonads.
      Now on Radio Patapoe on Sunday 17.00-18.00 Amsterdam time

      ~~~~
      * new home of Amsterdam's Radio Vrije Keyser: 89.6 FM
      * Radio Tonka, The Hague's 10-year-old free radio <www.radiotonka.nl/>
      * Radio Wanklank 90.9 FM, free radio in Wageningen <www.wanklank.nl>
      * Radio Libertaire, Paris 89.3 <http://dune2.info:5000/radiolib.m3u>
      * Black Sifichi / Audiometric is broadcast on :
      Aligre FM / 93.1 Paris (sat 22.30 - sun 7:00) http://www.aligrefm.org
      Eko Des Garrigues 88.5 FM Montpellier ( 19h - 22h)
      http://www.ekodesgarrigues.com
      RTF 95.4 FM Limoges (wed 21h-23h) http://www.rtflimoges.com)

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 2500± READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK*
      o Old playlists archived at <http://www.wfmu.org/~bart/
      o Selected Playlists at http://www.romanapoli.com/black/wreckthismess.html
      o Someday: <http://wreckthismess.com/>
      o Check out NEW excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete
      on Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/>