Wreck: French Soundtrax & local Announcements

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2005

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: 299*: French Soundtrax

      PTP in the ether: 88.3FM
      Where purity & puerility are synonymous
      streaming via internet:
      <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>

      1 August 2005 / 17.00-19.00

      "Mr. Bush's performance last week will rank as one of the worst ever
      by a president during a dire national emergency.
      What we witnessed, as clearly as the overwhelming agony of the city
      of New Orleans, was the dangerous
      incompetence and the staggering indifference to human suffering
      of the president and his administration.
      * Bob Herbert, NY Times

      ±±±±

      Jour de Fete: Generique > Jacques Tati vs Yatove Jean [1]
      Jour de Fete: Ballade de Facteur > Jacques Tati vs Yatove Jean [1]
      Jour de Fete: Installation de Fete > Jacques Tati vs Yatove Jean [1]
      Les Loups dans la Bergerie: Generique > Serge Gainsbourg & Alain Goraguer [2]
      La Horse > Serge Gainsbourg [3]
      Fuits du Rouquin > Serge Gainsbourg & Alain Goraguer [2]
      Les Loups dans la Bergerie> Serge Gainsbourg & Alain Goraguer [2]
      Ma Souer > Tindersticks [4]
      La Horse > Sofa Surfers [3]
      Cha Cha Cha du Loups > Serge Gainsbourg & Alain Goraguer [2]
      Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot Generique Debut > Jacques Tati vs
      Romains Alain [1]
      La Horse > Howie B [3]
      Nenette est La > Tindersticks [4]
      Petites Chiennes > Tindersticks [4]
      Javanaise Dub > Serge Gainsbourg [5]
      Dub et Cetera > Serge Gainsbourg [5]
      Les Vacances Ambiances Restuarant > Jacques Tati vs Romains Alain [1]
      Nosferatu > Tindersticks [4]
      Petites Gouttes d'Eau > Tindersticks [4]
      Les Vacances Tennis Theme Piano > Jacques Tati vs Romains Alain [1]
      Dub Locataires > Serge Gainsbourg [5]
      Pierrot le Fou: Ferdinand > Sporto Kantes [6]
      Javanaise Remake > Serge Gainsbourg [5]
      Aux Armes Etcetera > Serge Gainsbourg [5]
      Les Locataires > Serge Gainsbourg [5]
      Des Laids Des Laids > Serge Gainsbourg [5]
      Dub des Stups > Serge Gainsbourg [5]
      Brigade des Stups > Serge Gainsbourg [5]
      Lola Rastaquouere > Serge Gainsbourg [5]
      Jour de Fete: Hulot a Velo > Jacques Tati vs Yatove Jean [1]
      Daisy Dub > Serge Gainsbourg [5]
      Dub Rastaquouere > Serge Gainsbourg [5]
      Dernier Domicile Connu > Nicolas Repac vs Francois Roubiax [6]
      Lola Rastaquouere > Serge Gainsbourg vs Lisa Dainjah [5]
      Daisy Temple > Serge Gainsbourg vs Spydaman [5]
      Relax Baby Be Cool > Serge Gainsbourg [5]
      Eau et Gaz a Tous les Etages > Serge Gainsbourg vs Lone Ranger [5]
      Eau et Gaz a Tous les Etages > Serge Gainsbourg [5]
      Eau et Gaz a Dub les Etages > Serge Gainsbourg [5]

      [1] Tati is proof that the French can be funny. He was a genius of
      both visual/kinetic comedy but also more sublime and audio-based
      humor. I can watch his films over and over especially the fountain
      scene in Mon Oncle, the hotel scenes of M. Hulot and the waiting room
      scenes in PlaytimeŠ

      [2] Jazz & Cinema vol. 3" on Gitanes / Universal. Handsome series of
      repackaged jazz and soundtrack music focused mainly on Paris.

      [3] "Cinemix" on Universal. "Cinemix" on Editions Sido / Universal.
      Hip and contentious reuses of forgotten French soundtracks. Here Tati
      becomes almost unrecognizable for better or worse.

      [4] "Nenette et Boni" on Island <www.tindersticks.co.uk>. Includes
      one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs I have ever heard "Petites
      Gouttes d'Eau". The rest of the soundtrack plus the soundtrack to
      "Marks Mood". Nenette et Boni Director: Claire Denis. Boni is a
      19-year-old pizza worker abandoned by his father and lives alone in
      his dead mother's apartment - his lonely existential existence leads
      to a sexual obsession with a baker's wife until his 15-year-old
      sister Nenette arrives on at his home 7 months pregnant. Boni must
      deal with his sister and the fact that she refuses to identify the
      father. She has also fled her boarding school and arrives unannounced
      and sullen on her brother's doorstep. The film's freewheeling feel is
      almost pure New Wave [Truffaut and Godard].

      [5] "Aux Armes et Caetera" on Mercury. Not a soundtrack although a
      beautiful reissue and reestaablishment of the sound at the time of
      the recording - late 1970s. We get an incredibly lively atmosphere in
      Jamaica as the geniuses of late 1970 dub/reggae vie with Gainsbourg
      to create a loose and jolly album of deep bouncy dub that holds up
      incredibly well. Great package with original mixes, remixes and
      update versions by young French rappers and reggae singers.

      [6] "Cinemix" on Universal. Best of previous volumes of this
      fascinating [if not always successful] project of recuperation
      through renovation of lesser-known soundtrack composers in France.
      Includes interpretations using the original trax and soundtrax of
      films by Godard, Tati, GainsbourgŠ

      ~~~~

      * Yes, life has rendered the lists in an order that antagonizes chronology...

      o One of the amazing set of details is the blatant callousness of the
      Bush regime: Dick Cheney was vacationing in Wyoming; Condy Rice
      continued to shop for multiple pairs of shoes at Ferragamo in NY
      several days after the hurricane and also attended "Spamalot" musical
      based on work of Monty Python. Bush flies over the destruction from a
      plane, notes it was awful to see from above then later at a press
      conference offers BS from a prepared speech[!] as solace and then
      shows concern for oil supplies and the day after goes golfing. Dutch
      journalist Jan Tromp in NY blames the callousness on the Bush's
      social isolation due to their wealth. Laura Bush meanwhile made the
      observation that of course the blacks are going to be the hardest
      hit, implying some natural or godly lawŠ Barbara Bush, Georgie's mom,
      noted in houston that a lot of the victims may very well be better
      off being flooded out of their ghettos. And then there was George's
      attempt at levity by noting that out of Senator [millionaire] Trent
      Lott's somewhat destroyed mansion will be replaced by a "a fantastic
      house - and I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch." Meanwhile
      according to frank Rich "THE captain in this case, Michael Chertoff,
      the homeland security secretary, was so oblivious to those on the
      lower decks that on Thursday he applauded the federal response to the
      still rampaging nightmare as "really exceptional." He told NPR that
      he had "not heard a report of thousands of people in the convention
      center who don't have food and water" - even though every television
      viewer in the country had been hearing of those 25,000 stranded
      refugees for at least a day.

      o A few days before the hurricane Venezuala president Chavez who is
      trying to restrict oil supplies to US offers cheaper gasoline to the
      poor of the US. Then after the hurricane offers some one million
      barrels to the citizens of the south. The Venezuelan government owns
      the Citgo gas station chain.

      o Don't forget that just before the hurricane hit Pat Robertson [TV
      minister and owner of the mega-spiritual-business, the 700 Club, and
      former Presidential candidate!] announced that basically the US
      should just assassinate that annoying president in Venezuela,
      claiming that Venezuela is basically a launching pad for commies and
      muslim terrorists! He reassured Americans that it could be done
      cheaply [cheaper than an invasion] and it would not lead to any
      Americans having to suffer an oil/gas shortage. You can just imagine
      had it been a bearded turbaned fellow saying something like this.
      Robertson's reasoning is: if Chavez thinks we are trying to
      assassinate him the US should just oblige him and do it. If these are
      the people who are going to heaven then send me to a den of iniquity,
      a whore house, a bar with questionable entertainmentŠ.

      o Lars von Trier's films Dogville, Manderlay, and the brilliantly
      goofy-poignant musical-film Dancer in the Dark about a woman who ends
      up on death row starring Björk are brilliant indictments of the
      highly flawed machinations of American justice which time and again
      continues to punish the poor [for what? embarrassing the pundits by
      being bad examples of the American dream?]Š

      This is Criminal: Report from New Orleans [courtesy Interactivist]
      by Malik Rahim, Black Panther Party memberin New Orleans, for decades
      an organizer of public housing tenants and a recent Green Party
      candidate for New Orleans City Council.] "From what you're hearing,
      the people trapped in New Orleans are nothing but looters. We're told
      we should be more "neighborly." But nobody talked about being
      neighborly until after the people who could afford to leave -- left.
      If you ain't got no money in America, you're on your own. People were
      told to go to the Superdome, but they have no food, no water there.
      Andbefore they could get in, people had to stand in line for 4-5
      hours in the rain because everybody was being searched one by one at
      the entranceŠ. We have Amtrak here that could have carried everybody
      out of town. There were enough school buses that could have evacuated
      20,000 people easily, but they just let them be flooded. My son
      watched 40 buses go underwater - they just wouldn't move them, afraid
      they'd be stolen. People who could afford to leave were so afraid
      someone would steal whatthey own that they just let it all be
      flooded. They could have let a family without a vehicle borrow their
      extra car, but instead they left it behind to be destroyed.

      There are gangs of white vigilantes near here riding around in pickup
      trucks, all of them armed, and any young Black they see who they
      figure doesn't belong in their community, they shoot him. I tell
      them, "Stop! You're going to start a riot."

      When you see all the poor people with no place to go, feeling alone
      and helpless and angry, I say this is a consequence of HOPE VI. New
      Orleans took all the HUD money it could get to tear down public
      housing, and families and neighbors who'd relied on each other for
      generations were
      uprooted and torn apartŠ People from Placquemine Parish were rescued
      on a ferry and dropped off on a dock near here. All day they were
      sitting on the dock in the hot sun with no food, no water. Many were
      in a daze; they've lost everything.

      They were all sitting there surrounded by armed guards. We asked the
      guards could we bring them water and food. My mother and all the
      other church ladies were cooking for them, and we have plenty of good
      water. But the guards said, "No. If you don't have enough water and
      food for
      everybody, you can't give anything." Finally the people were hauled
      off on school buses from other parishes. The people who could help
      are being shipped out. People who want to stay, who have the skills
      to save lives and rebuild are being forced to go to HoustonŠ There's
      military right here in New Orleans, but for three days they weren't
      even mobilized. You'd think this was a Third World country.

      I'm in the Algiers neighborhood of New Orleans, the only part that
      isn't flooded. The water is good. Our parks and schools could easily
      hold 40,000 people, and they're not using any of it. This is
      criminal. These people are dying for no other reason than the lack of
      organization.

      ---
      Orleans crisis shames Americans By Matt Wells BBC News, Los Angeles:
      At the end of an unforgettable week, one broadcaster on Friday
      bitterly encapsulated the sense of burning shame and anger that many
      American citizens are feeling. The only difference between the chaos
      of New Orleans and a Third World disaster operation, he said, was
      that a foreign dictator would have responded better. It has been a
      profoundly shocking experience for many across this vast country who,
      for the large part, believe the home-spun myth about the
      invulnerability of the American DreamŠ. But what the devastating
      consequences of Katrina have shown - along with the response to it -
      is that for too long now, the fabric of this complex and
      overstretched country, especially in states like Louisiana and
      Mississippi, has been neglected and ignored.

      The fitting metaphors relating to the New Orleans debacle are almost
      too numerous to mention. First there was an extraordinary
      complacency, mixed together with what seemed like over-reaction,
      before the storm. A genuinely heroic mayor orders a total evacuation
      of the city the day before Katrina arrives, knowing that for decades
      now, New Orleans has been living on borrowed time. The National Guard
      and federal emergency personnel stay tucked up at home. The havoc of
      Katrina had been predicted countless times on a local and federal
      level - even to the point where it was acknowledged that tens of
      thousands of the poorest residents would not be able to leave the
      city in advance.

      The famous levees that were breached could have been strengthened and
      raised at what now seems like a trifling cost of a few billion
      dollars. The Bush administration, together with Congress, cut the
      budgets for flood protection and army engineers, while local
      politicians failed to generate any enthusiasm for local tax increases.

      New Orleans partied-on just hoping for the best, abandoned by anyone
      in national authority who could have put the money into really
      protecting the city. Meanwhile, the poorest were similarly abandoned,
      as the horrifying images and stories from the Superdome and
      Convention Center prove. The truth was simple and apparent to all. If
      journalists were there with cameras beaming the suffering live across
      America, where were the officers and troops?

      The neglect that meant it took five days to get water, food, and
      medical care to thousands of mainly orderly African-American citizens
      desperately sheltering in huge downtown buildings of their native
      city, has been going on historically, for as long as the inadequate
      levees have been there.

      It is astonishing to me that so many Americans seem shocked by the
      existence of such concentrated poverty and social neglect in their
      own country. In the workout room of the condo where I am currently
      staying in the affluent LA neighbourhood of Santa Monica, an
      executive and his personal trainer ignored the anguished television
      reports blaring above their heads on Friday evening. Either they did
      not care, or it was somehow too painful to discuss.

      o The poor get poorer, the rich get richer. Boring old truism that is
      truer than ever. While the incomes of the 400 richest Americans has
      gone up from $50 million [1992] to $180 million [2001] their taxes
      continue to decrease as percentage of income from some 26% in 1992 to
      22% in 2001.

      o Meanwhile the famous Dutch Cobra artist and Situationist, Constant
      died recently at age 85 has designs for his New Babylon, which are
      nomadic building configurations on stilts. Something to look into for
      the rebuilding of New Orleans.

      o 5 Fave music acts in the area:

      Announcement Paris / Den Haag / VON MAGNETIQUE

      VON MAGNET DE L'AIMANT
      23 Septembre
      soirée Realm of Fairies / Cabaret Sauvage
      Parc de La VIllette, 59 bd Mc Donald
      PARIS
      De 22.00 til dawn
      realmoffairies.free.fr

      VON MAGNET DE L'AIMANT
      30 Septembre
      Het Paard
      Den Haag / Holland
      20h30

      o Announcement Amsterdam / Nijmegen / Brussels / Germany /

      JOZEF VAN WISSEM solo and duo on lute
      With Gary Lucas-guitar, dobro [former-guitarist with Captain
      Beefheart & Jeff Buckley, combines rock, folk, blues, jazz and
      Chinese pop]
      Amsterdam, Bimhuis
      16 september
      --

      Saturday, Sept. 10
      Theatre Marni Jazz Festival

      Wednesday, Sept.14
      Cafe Merleyn
      Nijmegen -

      Saturday, Sept. 17
      Bunker Ulmenwall
      Bielefeld, Germany -

      Tuesday, Sept. 20th
      Objekt 5
      Halle, Germany

      Van Wissem & Lucas have featured heavily on my WTM shows of late
      because they seem to balance a fragile awareness of tragedy with a
      dynamic and autonomously triumphant sound that is at once steeped in
      tradition and yet transcends those constrictures and presumptions at
      every turn.

      ---

      o Nachtzuster Makes the Rounds

      Zaterdag 10 september
      20.00 in de kerk @ Ruigoord

      Diner Chantant
      Nachtzuster [Toni Smith & Hester] + contrabass Frank Weller
      + DJ Lala
      20.00/diner 12,50 euros
      concert alone = 5 euro
      reservations Sofie: 06 28204530

      <http://www.ruigoord.nl>

      zondag 11 september
      20.00
      Blijburg, Blijfestijn

      Nachtzuster aka Hester & de slapende cel
      with Frank Weller on contrabass & Vincent van Dam on violin

      + Groove Selector / Alderliefste / The Viff / Easy Aloha's Live /
      Vibemeister Zender / Graham B & live muzikanten / Dimitri

      Dagkaart : 12,50
      Passe-partout: 20
      Kids 5,

      <http://www.blijburg.nl>

      * Mick Harvey at the Melkweg in Amsterdam
      Tonight 9 September
      [MH is a great English-language interpreter of the songs of Serge
      Gainsbourg and a musician in his own right and with Nick Cave's Bad
      Seeds]

      * Meanwhile Louisiana Libertarian of Life, Liberty, Property Kevin
      Boyd who was lost in Louisiana: Hey guys, I'm alive and well. I
      evacuated from my hometown; Slidell, Louisiana the Sunday morning
      before the storm. I went to a place called Madisonville, Texas and
      stayed there until this past Saturday night when I went to my
      cousin's house in Ponchatoula, Louisiana. I was finally able to get
      back to Slidell on Sunday. Fortunately, I sustained minor damage with
      my entire back fence taken out by a couple of trees and minor damage
      from a tree limb. Right now, I'm staying in Ponchatoula until the
      lights get back on in Slidell (which probably won't be for another
      month, Slidell was devestated). Also, the only decent internet access
      is at my university, Southeastern Louisiana University, in nearby
      Hammond so that's the only time I can get online. I'll have a post
      sometime this afternoon or tonight on my blog about the inept
      performance of state and federal officials, my experiences with the
      storm and volunteering back home at a FEMA distribution center, and
      thoughts on rebuilding New Orleans. Please continue to keep Louisiana
      and the other areas affected by the storm in your hearts and prayers,
      we'll need them.

      [small note: see my earlier playlist where researchers report in the
      Lancet that prayer has no effect on the circumstances and outcomes of
      people...]
      ~~~

      Notes on other Patapoe audionauts & nuts:
      * Jonges v/d Vlakte [Boys from the Plains]: "De cottonpickin' Jongens
      Mondays @ PTP

      * Dr. Doo Wop is one of the most eccentric and stimulating radio
      shows anywhere. Sartre, DeSade, Doo Wop and music from the gonads.
      Now on Radio Patapoe on Sunday 17.00-18.00 Amsterdam time

      * Radio Antarctica is a dangerous show for those with creased slacks
      and audio preconceptions. Saturdays 20.00-22.00

      ~~~~
      * new home of Amsterdam's Radio Vrije Keyser: 89.6 FM
      * Radio Tonka, The Hague's 10-year-old free radio <www.radiotonka.nl/>
      * Radio Wanklank 90.9 FM, free radio in Wageningen <www.wanklank.nl>
      * Radio Libertaire, Paris 89.3 <http://dune2.info:5000/radiolib.m3u>
      * Black Sifichi / Audiometric is broadcast on :
      Aligre FM / 93.1 Paris (sat 22.30 - sun 7:00) http://www.aligrefm.org
      Eko Des Garrigues 88.5 FM Montpellier ( 19h - 22h)
      http://www.ekodesgarrigues.com
      RTF 95.4 FM Limoges (wed 21h-23h) http://www.rtflimoges.com)

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 2500± READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK*
      o Old playlists archived at <http://www.wfmu.org/~bart/
      o Selected Playlists at http://www.romanapoli.com/black/wreckthismess.html
      o Someday: <http://wreckthismess.com/>
      o Check out NEW excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete
      on Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/>

      SDI SELF DESTRUCTION INSURED
      CONTACT ninplant@... FOR REMOVAL