Wreck Miles

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2005

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: 296: Miles Davis Noir & Dark & Black

      PTP in the ether: 88.3FM
      Where purity & puerility are synonymous
      streaming via internet:

      11 Juli 2005 / 17.00-19.00

      "Don't play what's there, play whatís not there."
      Miles Davis

      "You know why I quit playing ballads? Cause I love playing ballads."
      Miles Davis

      Amsterdam > John Cale [1]
      How Was It For You? > Gare du Nord [2]
      I Want To Yodel > Josephine Baker [3]
      Chant de Berger > Edgar Detrait [4]
      A la Bastoome > Orchestre Musette de Grock [5]
      Les Yeux Noirs > Django Reinhardt et le Quintette du Hot Club [6]
      L'Oeil Noir > Joseph Reinhardt et son Ensemble [6]
      Les Amoreux des Bancs Publics > George Brassens [7]
      Swing Valse > Gus Viseur et son Orchestre [6]
      Ascenseur Pour l'Echafaud > Miles Davis [8]

      In 1987 Davis attended a reception in honor of Ray Charles at Ronald
      Reagan's White House.
      A Washington society lady, seated next to him, asked him what he had
      done to be invited.
      "Well," Davis replied, "I've changed music four or five times. What
      have you done
      of any importance other than be white?"

      Angoisse > Serge Gainsbourg [9]
      Complainte du Progres > Boris Vian [10]
      Black Trombone > Serge Gainsbourg [9]
      Ce Mortel Ennui > Serge Gainsbourg [9]
      Nuit sur les Champes Elysses [4 takes] > Miles Davis [11]
      Assassinat [3 takes] > Miles Davis [11]

      "If they act too hip, you know they canít play shit."
      Miles Davis

      Yoga Dub > Aleem [2
      Feelin' Good > Nina Simone vs Joe Claussell [13]
      Un Ange en Danger > MC Solaar [14]
      Gone Far Gone > Grant Phabao [11]
      Batuka Dub > Kayla [11]
      Drunk Trumpet > Kid Koala [15]
      Chant de Berger > Edgar Detrait [1]

      "It's like a chain reaction. If I lose my tone, I can't fuck, can't
      make love, can't do nothin'.
      I'll just walk into the ocean and die, if I lose my tone."
      Miles Davis

      [1] "Vintage Violence" on Columbia. He has always embodied this
      strange calm-before-the-storm feeling in his song. This period is
      very folksy and atmospheric, even ambient but lurking beneath was a
      lot of turbulence.

      [2] "In Search of Excellounge" on Moving Coil Music
      <info@...>. Cool is cool and here they do buoyant
      virtual post-hysteria jazz-downbeat. The drinks are gooey and there
      on me, all over me.

      [3] Even Paris favorite JB was a yodel fan.

      [4] French squeezebox jazzy yodeling.

      [5] An Alpine/yodel theme done Paris 1920s style

      [6] "Jazz a la Gitane" on Saga Jazz <www.sagajazz.com>. Warm timeless
      jaunty jazz. The people second only to the jews that people love to
      hate. They beg, they steal, they play and play and make the joint hop
      more than any other ethnic group short of blacks playing jazz. They
      are the jewish blacks of the world. The wandering global sounds of
      gypsies plus jazz happened in the body and soul of Django Reihardt.

      [7] "Par Excellence" on Philips vinyl. First and one of the finest of
      the poetic singers of chanson, sometimes called the "Verlaine of
      contemporary music." Came to Paris with not even enough money in his
      pocket to buy a Metro ticket. Not long thereafter he was rich and
      known as the best of the intelligent pop singers. Also translated
      Aragon, Hugo, villon into pop song.

      [8] "Ascenseur Pour l'Echafaud" There is no better soundtrack in the
      world. This soundtrack helps define this noir film that
      out-Hitchcocks Hitchcock. See it and hear it.

      [9] "Du Jazz dans le Ravin" on Philips. They don't come cooler than this.

      [10] "Boris Vian et ses Interpretes" on Polygram. Cool hipster
      non-engagement and indifference as a way of fighting the insanity of

      [11] "Ascenseur Pour l'Echafaud" This is one of theose insanely
      obsessive compulsive records. One that has lots of footnotes and
      outtakes like only jazz buffs can appreciate as they search the
      alternative versions for any latent mysticism lying on the tips of
      the wings

      [12] "French Dub Connection vol. 2" on Echo Beach <www.echobeach.de>.
      Great collection that goes a long way toward proving that dub is more
      alive in France than almost anywhere else.

      [13] "The Best of Verve Remixed" on Verve/Universal. Some smooth
      reheated jazz classics recontectualized for a new generation of ears
      both more sensitive and a bit deaferŠ

      [14] "Stolen Moments: Red Hot + Cool" on GRP/Impulse. The mid-90s
      attempt to make hihop serious with the acoutrements and licks of
      jazz. Guru almost made it work. The 2 genres continue to flirt but
      never quite consummate.

      [15] "Xen Cuts: Best of Ninja Tune" Ninja Tune is one of the great
      labels of inventive loopy beat dis-re-engagement. Full of mirth and
      mendacity, sonic appropriation, recombination, trip hop, dub and
      strip hop. Never under estimate the participating musiciansŠ

      that the Downing Street Memo hasn't brought down the governments of
      the Netherlands, the UK, the US, Italy and whomever else is fucking
      around in an aimless way in Iraq pretending it isn't about future
      contracts is pretty amazing. It makes you wonder about info-overload
      and the effects of cynicism as a tactic for governments to circumvent
      responsibility and accountability. That the US media [other than the
      usual alternative sources] has totally avoided the entire issue that
      the deep throat / dnaiel ellsberg equivalent has been laid out before
      our very eyes just as all good peaceniks and anti-governments
      activists and leftists had said all alongŠ the small headline read:
      Press Picks Up Coverage of the Downing Street Memo (June 2005) On
      June 16, 2005, Congressman John Conyers delivered 560,000 petition
      signatures to the White House -- including more than 360,000 from
      MoveOn members -- demanding that Bush address the evidence in the
      "Downing Street Memo." After holding nearly four hours of hearings
      about the Downing Street Memos on Capitol Hill, the Congressman went
      over to The White House accompanied by a dozen leading Democrats.
      Thanks in part to your [activist] pressure and Congressman Conyers'
      high profile hearings and petition delivery, the media finally began
      to cover the scandalous Downing Street Memos -- we counted 1,600
      news stories in Google the day after the petitions were delivered.
      The Seattle Times, Denver Post, Boston Globe, CNN, ABC and hundreds
      of other media outlets have been forced to report on the memo. A memo
      they had all but ignored upon its being leaked months earlier.

      o Hunter S. Thompson was a hero of mine [even if he was a gun nut].
      He had an addled sense of righteous hipness that went beyod wankdom
      and the usual logistics of journalistic prose. He rewrote how we
      approach public figures. They need not be respected if they have not
      earned our respect. If they are scum they should be called such. No
      more Mr. Hitler, and Mr. Nixon and Mr. Bush - scumbags are flusehd
      out of the brush.

      A report: Thompson's ashes fired into sky -- The ashes of gonzo
      journalist Hunter S Thompson have been blown into the sky from a
      cannon in Aspen, Colorado. Friends and admirers had gathered for the
      event at the writer's US home, six months after he shot himself
      there. His ashes were fired from a 150ft tower topped by a red fist
      with two thumbs - the symbol of Thompson's free-wheeling,
      first-person gonzo journalism. Johnny Depp, who played Thompson in
      the film of his book Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, paid for the
      cannon. Fireworks carrying the ashes of the writer exploded over the
      top of his memorial on his Owl Farm home.

      "He loved explosions," Thompson's widow Anita said. The writer's
      friend Matt Moseley told the BBC before the funeral that it would be
      "the grandest celebration... on the planet". Sean Penn, Lyle Lovett
      and the Nitty Gritty Dirt band were among those paying last respects
      to Thompson. Friends were instructed to remember him afterwards with
      the clink of ice in whiskey. [as a beer mystic I can really
      appreciate that. There is something audio-zen about this gesture.
      Elegant to say the least!!]

      The cult author committed suicide at his home in February. Thompson,
      who was 67, had said on several occasions that he would like his
      ashes to be fired from a cannon after his death. A public event to
      commemorate the writer's life is expected to take place at a later

      Notes on other Patapoe audionauts & nuts:
      * Jonges v/d Vlakte [Boys from the Plains]: "De cottonpickin' Jongens
      Mondays @ PTP

      * Dr. Doo Wop is one of the most eccentric and stimulating radio
      shows anywhere. Sartre, DeSade, Doo Wop and music from the gonads.
      Now on Radio Patapoe on Sunday 17.00-18.00 Amsterdam time

      * Radio Antarctica is a dangerous show for those with creased slacks
      and audio preconceptions. Saturdays 20.00-22.00

      * new home of Amsterdam's Radio Vrije Keyser: 89.6 FM
      * Radio Tonka, The Hague's 10-year-old free radio <www.radiotonka.nl/>
      * Radio Wanklank 90.9 FM, free radio in Wageningen <www.wanklank.nl>
      * Radio Libertaire, Paris 89.3 <http://dune2.info:5000/radiolib.m3u>
      * Black Sifichi / Audiometric is broadcast on :
      Aligre FM / 93.1 Paris (sat 22.30 - sun 7:00) http://www.aligrefm.org
      Eko Des Garrigues 88.5 FM Montpellier ( 19h - 22h)
      RTF 95.4 FM Limoges (wed 21h-23h) http://www.rtflimoges.com)

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      o Old playlists archived at <http://www.wfmu.org/~bart/
      o Selected Playlists at http://www.romanapoli.com/black/wreckthismess.html
      o Someday: <http://wreckthismess.com/>
      o Check out NEW excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete
      on Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/>

      CONTACT ninplant@... FOR REMOVAL