Wreck: The Humming Anointment

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2005

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: 294 the Humming Anointment

      PTP in the ether: 88.3FM
      Where purity & puerility are synonymous
      streaming via internet:
      <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>
      <http://freeteam.nl:8000/patapoe.m3u>

      27 june 2005 / 17.00-19.00*

      ±±±±
      Eme > Martusciello / Lella / Fega [1]
      Sense & Data Perception 2 > Disinformation [2]
      Grenoble No. 6 / Le 102 > Martin Tetreault vs. Otomo Yoshihide [3]
      Dead Air Alive [exc] > Andrew Duke [4]
      Festival Kees van Kooten vs. Arnold Marinissen [5]
      Dead Air Alive [exc] > Andrew Duke [4]
      Miniatuur II > Arnold Marinissen [5]
      Brest No. 2 / Le Vauban > Martin Tetreault vs. Otomo Yoshihide [6]
      + Wot! [-18 rpm] > Captain Sensible [7]
      Behind Me > Martusciello / Lella / Fega [1]
      Grossstadtschungel > Gabriele Proy [8]
      Night Club II / III > Slava Tsukerman / Brenda Hutchinson / Clive Smith [9]
      Orelans No. 4 / Astrolabe > Martin Tetreault vs. Otomo Yoshihide [6]
      Percussionist Songs III > Arnold Marinissen [5]
      Habana [2002/2003] > Gabriele Proy [8]
      Nijmegen No. 1 / Extrapool > Martin Tetreault vs. Otomo Yoshihide [3]
      Sense & Data Perception 4 > Disinformation [2]
      Germany: Die Lorelei > Larry & Lenore [10]
      Cases and Staircases > Quentin SirJacq / Antoine Berthiaume / Norman Teale [11]
      At Last > Etant Donnés vs Genesis P-Orridge [12]
      Katherine in the Club > Slava Tsukerman / Brenda Hutchinson / Clive Smith [9]
      Staring at a Western Time > Quentin SirJacq / Antoine Berthiaume /
      Norman Teale [11]
      The Steamboat > The Beachboys [13]
      La Paloma > Fischer Chöre [14]
      Musica > Ricardo Corona [15]
      Na Margem de todas as Coisas: Uma Cançao > Ricardo Corona [15]
      Rija Basquiat > Ricardo Corona [15]
      Watercress Well > David Behrman [16]
      Queen Mom > Erika Stucky [17]
      Ter a Alma Durando No Tempo > Ricardo Corona [15]
      Deusconhecido > Ricardo Corona [15]
      Soul Kiss I / II > the DBs [18]
      Jailhouse Rock > Erika Stucky [17]
      Wordplay > Slava Tsukerman / Brenda Hutchinson / Clive Smith [9]

      ~~~

      [1] "A Global Taxonomical Machine" on Actuelle <www.actuellecd.com>.
      Laptops worm their way into the heart of the matter.

      [2] "Sense & Data Perception" on Iris Light <www.irislight.co.uk>.
      the disappearance of the "I" into a somber rainy day on a housing
      estate where the mind has nothing to do but melt into the dull hum of
      the urban centre far from our lives.

      [3] "AHHH" on Actuelle <www.actuellecd.com>. A disturbing ride over a
      landmined road. And this is supposedly the calmest of the 3. You will
      lose parts of yourself while listening.

      [4] "Dead Air Alive" on Cognition Audioworks
      <www.cognitionaudioworks.com>. 60 minutes of wind or rather
      manipulated radio static + "snatches of some my favorite early jazz
      recordings on Verve". Very strong piece that helps show how the
      mistral winds drives people crazy.

      [5] "Percussionist Songs" on BVHaast <www.bvhaast.nl>. AM is an
      interesting sonic explorer which commences with a performance [see
      Jaap Blonk's recent CD with TWO versions] of Schwitter's Dada sound
      poem "Ursonate". Tis one was recorded live. No easy task I am
      guessing. CD2 is a weird and varied set of spoken word, percussion,
      musical saw, and electronics. Some Cage and some experimental voice
      pieces make this one of the more intrepid contemporary explorations
      of the head-on crash of human and machine.

      [6] "2. TOK" on Actuelle <www.actuellecd.com>. Collaborations of
      noise and ambiences and what can happen in between.

      [7] "Wot!" on A&M, 45, 1982.

      [8] "Soundscape Compositions" on Gproy <g.proy@...>. Composer
      and sound artist from Vienna. She manages to capture and frame the
      comings and goings, the busy-ness of human endeavor in a manner that
      is both captivating and revealing. And, yes, indeed, her "Wien West
      Bahnhof" manages to arouse hundreds of memories of trips by rail. In
      "Habana" she manages to capture the very Caribbean sounds of this
      Cuban capital that holds an eternal fascination for thousands of
      artists and musicians. An artist makes the everyday [the beach, the
      factory] magical and this Proy does in an elegant provocative manner.

      [9] "LIQUID SKY" soundtrack on Varese Sarabande, 1982. Strange lesbo
      punk meets space aliens story. Weird low budget film with a very
      eerie veering toward ridiculous soundtrack.

      [10] "Traveling Guitars" on Request vinyl. Mellow easy listening
      guitars go global.

      [11] "Leaves and Snows" on Actuelle <www.actuellecd.com>. Enchanting
      improv that seems to tell a series of stories that never veer too far
      into the joy of self-indulgent improvisational playing at the expense
      of our need to hear new sounds presented in a manner that we can at
      least relate to other than as examples of audio onanism. Atmospheric
      and with cultural refs galore, sounding in part like shattered shards
      of MorriconeŠ

      [12] "L'Etrange Musique" on Hic et Nunc <www.hic-et-nunc.org>. Weird
      collection of experiments by some old dinosaurs and younger
      audio-nauts. GPO doing his old industrial-pagan best. Also Simon
      Fisher Turner, Osaka Bondage and This Heat [from 1977!].

      [13] "Holland" on Brother, 1972. Weird post-transcendental meditation
      Beachboys gain some level of false consciousness and become serious.
      Actually some nice melodies and yet this album reeks of arrogance.
      This album marks my encounter with TM as well and going to hear the
      Maharishi in Chicago and taking the course [$45 at the time] and
      getting my password into the joyous eternal - my own personal mantra,
      which you were not supposed to reveal to anyone for fear your would
      upset the uniqueness of the other's. Only many years later curiosity
      got the best of me and I exchanged not only saliva and other bodily
      liquids with a wonderful woman but we revealed our mantras to one
      another only to discover that they were exactly the same. This either
      meant we were so alike in our characters that we were destined to be
      together for eternity or we had been duped. We eventually opted for
      #2.

      [14] "La Paloma" on Polydor 45. 1000 stemmen zingen voor miljoenen /
      1000 voices sing for the millions. The Glenn Branca of voice?

      [15] "Ladrao de Fogo" on Medusa <medusa@...>. Very interesting
      sound poetry, forays into surrealism, storytelling, experimental
      noise and music in Portuguese.

      [16] "My Dear Siegfried" on XI <www.xirecords.org>. Multimedia
      soundsmith manages to fuse hard speculative ambiences with oddly
      germane and warm spoken word from a series of Nixon & LBJ speeches to
      recitations of letters passed between Same Behrman a NYT reporter and
      Siegrfried Sassoon, a war hero who became an anti-war poet and peace
      activist during the period after WWI.

      [17] "Princess" on Traumton <www.traumton.de>. Is that rare
      intriguing creature who manages to combine experimentation,
      iconoclasm and a deep love for traditional pop standards. Her live
      performance is difficult to capture on CD but this gives some
      approximation of this impetuous, enchanting chanteuse who manages to
      wreck pop drivel and overrated rock [my prejudice] to the point that
      in the wreckage you begin to see her point - there is something
      magical in a pop song no matter how popular or despised in its
      initial reign of popularity. This requires a lot of coonvincing when
      it comes to me and she does it with elan and humor and a rhythm
      section composed of trombone and tuba! What could be sexier than a
      woman in a tight elegant dress, telling dirty jokes, while squeezing
      a toy accordion?

      [18] "Soul Kiss" on Shake 45, 1980. Amazingly fragile and
      about-to-implode pop-punk single whose charm lies in the valiant ways
      the band so enthusiastically and unself-consciously overcome their
      many shortcomings.
      ~~~

      * Perpetually trying to catch up on these playlists as life lived
      outstrips one's ability to document it. It is one of those zen koans
      or conuncrums of daily life. When you have time to keep a daily
      journal it is usually when nothing much is going on, while when
      things are at their fiercest and most-indulgently livingest one does
      not have time to document events and observations. AnywayŠ

      * AS we prepare to enter a new era of reinforced electronically and
      ideologically barbwired borders and we ready for increased harassment
      without any real evidence that this improves the safety of the
      average citizen. As some in London noted after the July public
      transport bombings: who is REALLY protecting the average person.
      While the politicians remain secure and engage in questionable
      policies that further destabilize the fragile listing peace, they set
      up the average citizens as prime targets. Whatever happened to the
      Downing Street Memo, the paperial equivalent of Deep Throat that
      basically PROVES Blar & Bush connivance in the rush to war? Other
      than a grieving mother and some fringe leftoid press, this memo has
      basically just been shoved aside by coverage of Martha Stewart and
      Michael JacksonŠ Meanwhile, the Dutch government is basically dead in
      the water due to inefficacy, corruption,shadowy support for the US
      efforts in Iraq, rightwing free market lunacy, ineptitude, a 19%
      approval rating and whatever else but yet there are no calls for its
      dissolution and new elections

      o This news which I already fear at an already tense and ludicrous
      passport check at the US border:

      No-fly list' keeps infants off planes: August 16, 2005

      "We know names are added hastily, and when you have a name-based
      system you don't focus on solid intelligence leads."
      -- Tim Sparapani, ACLU lawyer

      "Infants have been stopped from boarding planes at airports
      throughout the United States because their names are the same as or
      similar to those of possible terrorists on the government's "no-fly
      list." It sounds like a joke, but it's not funny to parents who miss
      flights while scrambling to have babies' passports and other
      documents faxed.

      Ingrid Sanden's 1-year-old daughter was stopped in Phoenix, Arizona,
      before boarding a flight home to Washington at Thanksgiving. "I
      completely understand the war on terrorism, and I completely
      understand people wanting to be safe when they fly," Sanden said.
      "But focusing the target a little bit is probably a better use of
      resources."

      The government's lists of people who are either barred from flying or
      require extra scrutiny before being allowed to board airplanes grew
      markedly since the September 11, 2001, attacks. Critics including the
      American Civil Liberties Union say the government doesn't provide
      enough information about the people on the lists, so innocent
      passengers can be caught up in the security sweep if they happen to
      have the same name as someone on the lists. That can happen even if
      the person happens to be an infant like Sanden's daughter. (Children
      under 2 don't need tickets but Sanden purchased one for her daughter
      to ensure she had a seat.)

      "It was bizarre," Sanden said. "I was hugely pregnant, and I was
      like, 'We look really threatening.'"

      Sarah Zapolsky and her husband had a similar experience last month
      while departing from Dulles International Airport outside Washington.
      An airline ticket agent told them their 11-month-old son was on the
      government list. They were able to board their flight after ticket
      agents took a half-hour to fax her son's passport and fill out
      paperwork.

      Sanden and Zapolsky would not allow their children's names to be used
      in this story because they fear people who prey on children.
      Well-known people like Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, Rep. John Lewis,
      D-Georgia, and David Nelson, who starred in the sitcom "The
      Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet," also have been stopped at airports
      because their names match those on the lists.

      The government has sought to improve its process for checking
      passengers since the September 11 attacks. The first attempt was
      scuttled because of fears the government would have access to too
      much personal information. A new version, called Secure Flight, is
      being crafted. But for now, airlines still have the duty to check
      passengers' names against those supplied by the governmentŠ.

      Not all those names are accompanied by biographical information that
      can more closely identify the suspected terrorists. That can create
      problems for people who reserve flights under such names as "T
      Kennedy" or "David Nelson."ŠThe Transportation Security
      Administration, which administers the lists, instructs airlines not
      to deny boarding to children under 12 -- or select them for extra
      security checks -- even if their names match those on a list. But it
      happens anyway. Debby McElroy, president of the Regional Airline
      Association, said: "Our information indicates it happens at every
      major airport."

      ~~~

      * Synaesthesia: When coloured sounds taste sweet / Institute of
      Neuropsychology, University of Zurich -- Synaesthesia, the
      involuntary stimulation of sensory perception by another unrelated
      stimulation -- for example, hearing a song evokes an additional
      sensation of seeing color. Most occurences of synaesthesia involve
      colour as the concurrent perception, with those of smell or taste
      occurring rarely. Words spoken can evoke a reliable and predictable
      range of hues in certain people. In this research, a musician, aka
      ES, experiences different tastes in response to hearing different
      musical tone intervals - she literally tastes what she hears. Almost
      everything she hears arouses some gustatory response.

      According to the Economist "A major third sounds sweet. A minor
      third, salty. A fourth has the flavour of mown grass. Only an octave
      is tastelessŠ Individual tones have their own colours: C is red,
      F-sharp is violet. But [ES's] perception of intervals as flavours,
      reported in this week's Nature by Gian Beeli and his colleagues at
      the University of Zurich, is a phenomenon recorded only once before."
      In the earlier report of this phenomenon of sound evoking taste, the
      individual experienced a mixed palette of tastes, entire meals, not
      specific flavours. "Dr Beeli speculates that ES's musical training
      has helped her to focus her synaesthesia on particular flavours.
      Whether the musical training focused the synaesthesia, or the
      synaesthesia provoked the passion for music, it is definitely the
      case that ES makes specific use of her synaesthesia to assist her
      professional life. For her, music truly is the food of love."

      ~~~

      Notes on other Patapoe audionauts & nuts:
      * Jonges v/d Vlakte [Boys from the Plains]: "De cottonpickin' Jongens
      Mondays @ PTP

      * Dr. Doo Wop is one of the most eccentric and stimulating radio
      shows anywhere. Sartre, DeSade, Doo Wop and music from the gonads.
      Now on Radio Patapoe on Sunday 17.00-18.00 Amsterdam time

      * Radio Antarctica is a dangerous show for those with creased slacks
      and audio preconceptions. Saturdays 20.00-22.00

      ~~~~
      * new home of Amsterdam's Radio Vrije Keyser: 89.6 FM
      * Radio Tonka, The Hague's 10-year-old free radio <www.radiotonka.nl/>
      * Radio Wanklank 90.9 FM, free radio in Wageningen <www.wanklank.nl>
      * Radio Libertaire, Paris 89.3 <http://dune2.info:5000/radiolib.m3u>
      * Black Sifichi / Audiometric is broadcast on :
      Aligre FM / 93.1 Paris (sat 22.30 - sun 7:00) http://www.aligrefm.org
      Eko Des Garrigues 88.5 FM Montpellier ( 19h - 22h)
      http://www.ekodesgarrigues.com
      RTF 95.4 FM Limoges (wed 21h-23h) http://www.rtflimoges.com)

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 2500± READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK*
      o Old playlists archived at <http://www.wfmu.org/~bart/
      o Selected Playlists at http://www.romanapoli.com/black/wreckthismess.html
      o Someday: <http://wreckthismess.com/>
      o Check out NEW excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete
      on Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/>

      SDI SELF DESTRUCTION INSURED
      CONTACT ninplant@... FOR REMOVAL