free music festival Antwerp

  • giles thomas
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2005
      The annual free music festival is underway in Antwerp at the moment
      for three days: www.freemusicfestival.org (programme)
      This year it has changed directorship from W.I.M. the musicians
      collective to the curatorship of Rob Leurentop: At the same time it
      has moved venue to the beautiful concert hall, De Singel:
      Last night we enjoyed a stirring performance from Peter Brotzman's
      Tentet, preceded by a short poetic set from Jaap Blonk, voice & Fred
      van Hove accordion:
      The Tentet played two sets & an encore; for the second set they were
      joined by Fred van Hove on the piano: Both sets bristled with fire &
      energy throughout from the full majestic tentet sound to delicate &
      sensitive passages: The second set started with a virtuoso duet from
      Brotzman & Van Hove that eventually had the whole ensemble storming at
      full power.
      Peter Brotzman, Ken Vandermark, Joe Mcphee, Johannes Bauer, Magnus
      Broo, Fred Lonberg-Holm, Kent Kessler, Michael Zerang, Paal Nilssen
      Love, guest Fred van Hove.
      The festival was an artist led initiative for the last thirty years &
      has survived against all odds: The new organisation is a move designed
      to take it into the future: So we hope it works out & will recieve the
      global communities support.
      Giles