What You're Missing

  • K. Michael Babcock
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2005
      Hello,

      Two years ago, Aesova released Tu m' and the Magical Mystery Orchestra. It
      has received excellent reviews, but unfortunately, getting good distribution
      has been next to impossible, with no distributor willing to pick up more
      than 5-10 copies at a time, and not enough ears have had a chance to hear
      what we think is a classic album. To encourage more people to hear it, we've
      reduced the price to $4.99. At that price, we're hoping people will be
      willing to give it a try. It might just become a favorite.

      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/tum

      Label Description:

      BRILLIANT sonorities & gleaming tones, enchanting melodies, scratchy
      textures & grainy surfaces - all born from the Magical Mystery Orchestra, a
      "secret ensemble" of horns, strings, percussion, piano, and other
      traditional instrumentation. The compositions of Rossano Polidoro (b.1970)
      and Emiliano Romanelli (b.1979), together known to the world as Tu m', were
      first played by the Magical Mystery Orchestra, then digitally reprocessed
      and edited by the composers. This approach is a departure from much of the
      previous Tu m' music, with the composers typically approaching laptops
      directly as the point of compostion, here drawing inspiration from the
      "colors of the acoustic instruments, in their simple and pure sound and in
      their melodic reiteration in space." Ten uncommonly beautiful
      electro-acoustic treasures.

      Reviews:

      The duo Tu m', with assistance from the Magical Mystery Orchestra, has
      created a work of aural significance that bridges classical minimalism with
      contemporary gitch and digital minimalism; reaching into new areas of sonic
      art, and upholding and expanding their reign as one of the most important
      composers and instrumentalists (digital or not) in today's living music
      world. Steven Riech meets Tetsu Inoue. Do not miss out on this important
      recording of Tu m's compositions, performed by the Orchestra, and
      manipulated and shaped thereafter by these ground-breaking artists.

      Reviewer: The Wire
      THE WIRE (December 2003) On their latest album, the prolific Italian duo of
      Rossano Polidoro and Emiliano Romanelli cut and layer shimmering loops of
      their own 'secret orchestra', the music's textural sensuality and panoramic
      expansiveness setting it apart from the sterility of most post-Oval glitch
      output. Sounding entranced by the ghosts, shadows and refractions throw up
      by their laptops, Tu m' fashion a variety of shifting soundscapes over the
      album's 64 minutes, from the Steve Reichian "Glamour" to the flaking,
      crumbling pianos of "Bye". Despite the extremity of the duo's processes, the
      lush sonorities of the 'orchestra' shine through like rays of sunlight
      reflected in mirror shards.

      Reviewer: %Array
      Tu m' - Italian duo Rossano Polidoro and Emiliano Romanelli - have an
      uncanny ability to sculpt abandoned melodies into new and distinctive
      shapes, whilst retaining the shimmering qualities of the originals. Like
      goldsmiths re-working discarded jewellery, they hammer and polish,
      painstakingly re-working - in the process creating diamond-like musical
      gems. 'Tu m' and the Magical Mystery Orchestra' elevates their sonic palette
      considerably, its idiosyncratic melodies insinuating themselves into your
      consciousness effortlessly. The lush truncated strings of 'Glamour'
      captivate from the moment it stutters into sparkling life, slowly building
      to a gently incandescent audio glow. 'Before the Rain' continues in similar
      fashion, a hesitant melody cycling - soft caresses of delicate melody. Their
      recent releases have been likened to Fennesz's much acclaimed 'Endless
      Summer' and its easy to see the comparison, but Tu m' are slowly, but surely
      carving out their own distinctive voice. 'Tu m' and the Magical Mystery
      Orchestra' demonstrates musical craftsmanship of a kind all too often
      lacking in contemporary music, but truly deserving of recognition.

      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/tum

    • K. Michael Babcock
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2005
        Also check out Norbert Moslang's (ex-Voice Crack) Distilled 3" CD, on sale
        for $4.

        http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/norbert

        Norbert Moslang was, until recently, one half of the now defunct Swiss duo
        Voice Crack. 'Distilled' was constructed in the studio, using a live solo
        performance of "cracked everyday electronics" by the composer himself as its
        source material. In the studio, Moslang allowed the computer to "make
        calculations with two pieces" of the original performance. "If I liked it, I
        worked further on it, if I didn't like it I threw it away." The resulting
        composition - a distillation of the orginal recording into something new -
        moves tiny granular packets of sound throughout the audible frequency range
        and the stereo spectrum, drawing the listener into an artificial environment
        where sounds replace light as the dominant sensory input. 'Distilled', a
        remarkable departure from the "known Voice Crack sound", is an engaging and
        rewarding listening experience that, at just twenty minutes, fades away long
        before overstaying its welcome.