(Xing Wu 5002): Shang -- Tham Kar Mun / Yandsen / Yeoh Yin Pin

  • Xing Wu
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2005
      Hello all,
      We at Xing Wu are very happy to finally announce the release
      of our second CD. It is priced at USD$10.50 (postage included)
      for direct purchase. Enquire separately for wholesale prices.
      Thank You.

      Best Regards,
      Xing Wu
      http://www.yat.ch/xingwu/

      SHANG: THAM KAR MUN / YANDSEN / YEOH YIN PIN
      (XW5002 CD)

      Xing-Wu's second release, Shang, brings together recent works
      by 3 "old men" of Malaysia's Mejelis scene who are also co-founders
      of the EMACM
      (Experimental Musicians & Artists Co-operative Malaysia).
      The 3 pieces documented here each draw from and trace out disparate
      trajectories, but share as an exigent aim the portrayal
      and expression of gestures that reference Malaysia -- however
      oblique and idiosyncratic these references may seem to be.

      A revered figure in the Malaysian-Chinese underground,
      Tham Kar Mun's contribution, "Confining Abstract in Zero" is a piece
      composed solely with voice and objects.
      This composition is almost completely driven by a colloqualised
      quasi-Taoist predilection, i.e., a philosophical and pragmatic concern
      that attempts to stage a (im)possible surmountation of a/the
      reified Past by approximating the point of Abstraction -- a point
      where the Past would appear as an effaceable or/and ponderous moment.

      Yandsen's "In The Score" is a meditative performance with an acoustic
      instrument. While the piece may appear gesturally improvised
      through and through, it is really
      a sustained and careful translation of his long and arduous study of
      Klangite "witticisms"
      (something unfortunately only a Klangite could ever understand).
      This piece further reveals Yandsen's terribly rustic sensibility in a
      constrained and disciplined performance. It further attempts to evoke
      temporal details inherent in tensional moments between punctuation and
      stillness.

      With close to a decade and a half worth of unreleased material,
      Yeoh Yin Pin's latest offering, "Funeral", closes this release with
      a surreal journey that revisits his long-standing fascination -- since
      childhood -- for colloquial Chinese-Hokkien opera and Taoist funeral music.
      At times baroque and at times minimal (and no doubt the distinction
      often collapses), this piece not only alludes to
      a personal and cultural history but also attempts, above all, to
      foreground the complexities
      that surround the relation between sound and meaning.