Wreck: Been Away From Away

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2005

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: 288: Been Away from Away

      PTP in the ether: 88.3 FM
      streaming via internet:

      16 Mei 2005 / 17-19.00

      "You see, I'm a hypnotist as well."
      o Slim Gaillard

      "What I didn't suss / was innervention, / Down home, where ohm boys /
      Chant radioworms - Lettracize: / rip up the set upŠ"
      o Edwin Torres, "Skankworm"

      "Flat foot floogie with a floy, floy, / Floy doy, floy doy, floy doyŠ
      / Whenever your cares are chronic, /
      Just tell the world, "go hang," / You'll find a greater tonic, / If
      you go on swingin' with the gang!
      o Slim Gaillard, "Flat Foot Floogie"

      OSRL > David Behrman [1]
      Statement Against the War > David Behrman [1]
      A New Team Takes Over [Nixon] > David Behrman [1]
      Peesacho > Edwin Torres [2]
      Hit That Mess > Slim Gaillard [3]
      Lounging in the Age of Aquarius > Edwin Torres [2]
      Bassology > Slim Gaillard [3]
      1-2-3-4-Hey > Edwin Torres [2]
      Auntie Drug > Edwin Torres [2]
      War Laws > Roberto Valenza [4]
      Fiasco/Here > Edwin Torres [2]
      Sighing Boogie > Slim Gaillard [3]
      Filth & Lies Divine > Roberto Valenza [4]
      Don Cosmic > Hungry March Band [5]
      Pants on Fire > Marjorie Chan [6]
      A Postcard from the Youmisphere > Edwin Torres [2]
      Doorjam > Zanana [7]
      Warsaw Vibes > Magic Carpathians Project [8]
      Ghost Dog > Zanana [7]
      + Son of Wino > George Carlin [9]
      Waking the Witch > Kate Bush [10]
      Om Ah Sarasvati Namaha > Magic Carpathians Project [8]
      Half and Half and Half > Bindlestiff Family Cirkus [11]
      Carney / Acid Acropolis > Leon Russell [12]
      Bhagwan Boogie > Eddie Woods [13]
      Vout Boogie > Slim Gaillard [3]
      Good Eye Color > Edwin Torres [2]
      Freedom Highway > Emmanuel Madan [6]
      The Modern Phallus > Edwin Torres [2]
      Papa's Got a Brand New Pigbag > Hungry March Band [5]
      Silliest Bernstein / Gum Wrapper > Edwin Torres [2]
      What a Pretty Dog > Zanana + Barbara Barg [7]
      1-2-3-4-Ho > Edwin Torres [2]
      [1] "My Dear Siegfried" on XI <www.xirecords.org>. Multimedia
      soundsmith manages to fuse hard speculative ambiences with oddly
      germane and warm spoken word from a series of Nixon & LBJ speeches to
      recitations of letters passed between Same Behrman a NYT reporter and
      Siegrfried Sassoon, a war hero who became an anti-war poet and peace
      activist during the period after WWI.

      [2] "Novo" on Oozebap <www.oozebap.org><www.brainlingo.com>. I
      already was a great fan of his Kill Rock Stars debut CD, "Holy Kid",
      which I praised in a review for the American Book Review but this is
      a massive step forward for creature kind. His is a total immersion
      into the illogical music inside words and how they collide and seduce
      one another. It is as if the Cabaret Voltaire has moved into some kid
      crowded school yard during lunch hour. There is that fruitful and
      joyous discovery of words as sounds with lives of their own, the kind
      of fascination I notice my daughter has for the sound and look and
      effect of words. He combines the best of Kurt Schwitters ["The
      elements of poetry are letters, syllables, words, sentences. Poetry
      arises from the playing off of these elements against each other.
      Meaning is only essential if it is to be used as one such factor. I
      play off sense against nonsense. I prefer nonsense, but that is a
      purely personal matter. I pity nonsense, because until now it has
      been so neglected in the making of art, and that's why I love it."]
      muscly and sinewy "Ur Sonata" [maybe rewired here as the hipster's
      "Nerd Sonata" or something] with the galloping hipster buffoonery of
      Slim Gaillard, the grandfather of all that is great about scat and
      hipster jive. Highly recommended.

      [3] "Laughing in Rhythm" on Proper <www.propermusic.com>. That
      Detroit-native SG was a yodeler and the inventor of the hipster's
      esperanto and that he did it with a kind of jovial bon vivant-ness
      makes him a guru of jazz surrealism and scat as mantra that unlocks
      the basic simple pleasures of life. Although cited and sighted by
      Kerouac ["One night we went to see Slim Gaillard in a little Frisco
      nightclub. In Frisco great eager crowds of semi-intellectuals sat at
      his feet and listened to him on the piano, guitar and bongo drums.
      ... Now Dean approached him, he approached his God; he thought Slim
      Gaillard was God." On the Road], he has remained under-regarded,
      although this 4-CD set goes some way toward settings things right. In
      Detroit's airport waiting a loooong time for a flight on May 9 I saw
      a poster that touted Detroit's musical legacy as Motown. All the
      names were up there except Slim Gaillard's.

      [4] "Musical Secretions" on Primordial Marrow
      <robertovalenza@...>. Proof that the human voice can
      destabilize prejudice and mistrust. His primal scream and poetic
      justice bind joy, illumination with the recognition that all is
      politic, all is personal, all is not allŠ I had the good fortune of
      finally meeting RV at Ruigoord, a bit of a Katmandu TAZ on the barren
      outskirts of Amsterdam. He was part of a poetic and carney and
      musical celebration. RV has a fiercely fixed inner eye at outer
      injustice, has taken the bopsters bop, the boddhisatva's om, Yoko
      Ono's primal scream and created a veritable sonic device. This man
      defuses the bomb with his aural/oral focus. De laser don't faze'rŠ

      [5] "Critical Brass" on HMB <www.hungrymarchband.com>. Imagine a
      bunch of fun-loving trespassers of good taste, Dadaists with their
      marching boots on the wrong feet, excusah de Sousa, we got some
      swinging skanking skadada - however, do NOT book this crew in your
      precious teahouse or cosy café unless you don't mind some porcelain
      flying - are they the peripatetic perambulating dérive-mongering
      progeny of Willem Breuker?

      [6] "Deep Wireless 2: Radio Art Compilation" on New Adventures in
      Sound Art <www.deepwireless.ca>. Tweekers and samplers, nerds hugging
      the warm radio tubes. Some great stuffŠ and then some lesser material
      as well. But worth more than a casual listen. Bringing back that
      dynamic feel of late-80s sampling and 1930s radio theatre and 21st
      century knob noodling.

      [7] "Holding Patterns" on Deep Listening <www.deeplistening.org>.
      Incredibly interesting electro-acoustic meets chamber music meets
      intriguing ambiences by Monique Buzzarté [trombone, didjeridu, conch,
      live electronica] and Kristin Norderval [voice and laptop] with
      special guest Barbara Barg.

      [8] "Sonic Suicide: Ethnoise #1" on Vivo <www.magiccarpathians.com>
      vivo@.... Always top-notch speculative, wandering, searching
      vocal ambience that sways between spiritual, investigative, and
      heretical. Diamanda Galas finally finds the right drugs?

      [9] "Fm/Am" on Little David vinyl, 1972. Brilliant.

      [10] "Hounds of Love" on EMI vinyl, 1985. The straightest weirdo in
      music ever. Tim Buckley would have found his soul mate in herŠ

      [11] "From the Glitter to the Gutter" on Bindlestiff
      <www.bindlestiff.org>. Do not go to see this Cirkus with your
      preconceptions worn upon your pretentious gilded sleeve. They will
      strip you naked and you will enjoy it. Rope tricks, fire, anarchy,
      illumination, and fun. Coming to a club or hellhole or dusty rodeo
      near you.

      [12] "Carney" on Shelter vinyl, 1972. LR has always operated
      somewhere between Dylan and Dr. John; illumination and oozeŠ Here he
      does his best to to make a kind of peripatetic, wandering soul,
      traveling minstrel concept album that mixes druggie hallucinations,
      poetic metaphor, and carnival lore.

      [13] "Dangerous Precipice" on Ins & Outs <metal.dragon@...>.
      Crinkled in the squeezebox of post-spiritual erotica and confessional
      poesie, EW has always been precise about the chances he takes. Not
      squeamish about the naked soul dressed as ecstasy in an itchy girdle
      wagging a tumescent conductor's baton about. He can wax rhapsodic
      about rats scurrying across a sacred statue and light a cigarette at
      the same time.

      Was away for a month [April 12 - May 10] travelling the airways of
      the American Midwest. Plunging into the middle of the Kansas
      Conundrum region, where people vote massively against their own best
      interests - basically taking money out of their own pockets and
      handing it [plus freedoms and benefits] to the wealthy and thanking
      them along the way for accepting their offerings. Although I ended up
      in Madison, Boulder, Ann Arbor, Goshen - all small islands or
      reinforced fortresses of intellectual and open-minded confoundment. I
      was there to spread the word of the yodel, nonsense as über-sense and
      all went well [for the most part]. It is interesting - talking to
      Black Sifichi in Paris the other night - I realized how much people
      hold onto and enjoy holding onto preconceptions and prejudices
      because they serve as [ironic?] signposts, as signals and common
      ground we all hold dear no matter how incorrect or stupefyingly
      illogical. The idea I continue to encounter time and time again [on
      public radio, among the cogniscenti, the general public] is that the
      yodel is a piece of twisted fluff, an audio can opener into insanity,
      a waver of one's rights to a reputation. Another common notion is
      that the yodel has no relationship to contemporary music. This is
      something I attempted to dispel during my 4 weeks of traveling and
      lecturing at a wild variety of venues [college academic,
      musicological, fun/beer-loving Swiss-American locals in an old
      historical gymnasium, Mennonites in a café for the first time,
      various NPR and local radio shows, an NBC TV segment where the
      interviewer refused to believe that I did NOT yodel and got angry
      when I refused to yodel for the camera, KGB in NY a former Communist
      Party HQ and long the scene of readings characterized by their brazen
      eclecticism, and the Bowery Poetry Club, where anything goes and so
      yodeling is quite at home there and well-received as well despite
      whatever airs and tudes the locals may bring with them]. The yodel as
      revealed via samples and live local yodelers has in its vocal magic a
      way of disarming people - joy and amusement and human interaction are
      all certain results of a yodel demonstration. It is as if the very
      abstractness of the vocable communicates in a more direct manner with
      a more tender part of our brains than the logic-based sentence.

      That said: we will in the coming weeks take a journey through sound
      and yodeling. I also received a lot of other CDs. Most interestingly,
      a pile of CDs from Cary Loren, host of a reading at his Bookbeat
      store outside Detroit in a déclassé strip mall. The store was great.
      And the fact that Cary continues in his post-Burroughs sound projects
      which began with the legendary pre-Sonic Youth band, Destroy All
      Monsters and continues on with Monster Island and also establishes a
      link between John Sinclair, radical literature, noise and elements of
      joyous resistance. I also received lots of yodel CDs including some
      from Joyce Leonard "Michigan's Yodeling Sweetheart" who accompanied
      me on a number of reading gigs. Also Liz Masterson & Sean Blackburn
      out in Colorado who do a kind of stand-up cow-barn cabaret, Donah
      Hyland another able-epiglottised yodeleress but also great
      esperanto-sound poetry by the Slim Gaillard meets Spike Jones in the
      Cabaret Voltaire of the Lower Eastside, Edwin Torres. [I fondly
      remember DJing their wedding in the famed Puck Building in 1995. He
      was so kind to bring photos from that event for me. This was back
      when I was deep into tapes and loops and so I did most of the wedding
      with pre-cued tapes. This was an economic necessity because back then
      I was earning just a few hundred $$, living in a close for nearly
      $300/month and so my only "purchased" new music was the blank
      cassettes with which I recorded my weekly radio shows = 3 hours of
      new music for $2/week].

      Edwin was to be my verb-tantalizing and noun-re-engineering MC for
      the yodel event "9 Weird Stories About Yodeling" starring Shelley
      Hirsch who had earlier that first week of May appeared with me on
      John Schaefer's WNYC show "Soundcheck" [she could not attend because
      her mother was about to pass away in Florida], the effervescent and
      tonguely sonic-explorer Lynn Book, the ropey-dopey intellectual
      yodeler of breadth and breathlessness Randy Erwin, the amazing
      country yodeling of black truck driver Mike Johnson (who decided NOT
      to drive his 18-wheeler into NY and try to park it near the BPC). As
      noted, Edwin was to be my MC where he would feature some of his
      dynamic verbalosity BUT circumstances at the club were in disarray
      and through a series of discumbobulations and quick refittings I
      ended up never turning to ET [as yodeler Kenny Roberts noted, Ernest
      Tubb was actually the first ET]. This show is then an attempt to make
      amends with that circumstance-overwhelmed oversight.

      And now for something completely different: George Galloway testified
      testily before the Senate recently and gave a defence that must go
      down as one of the more articulate, defiant, scurrilous, and
      entertaining speeches heard in the Senate in a great long while.
      Galloway, a UK MP who stood early and vocally against the invasion of
      Iraq, was accused by Republican senators of being part of the
      oil-for-food scandal. [Courtesy Paniculture and the Times (of London)]

      Galloway v the US Senate: transcript of statement May 18, 2005 [excerpt]

      "Senator, I am not now, nor have I ever been, an oil trader. and
      neither has anyone on my behalf. I have never seen a barrel of oil,
      owned one, bought one, sold one - and neither has anyone on my
      behalf. Now I know that standards have slipped in the last few years
      in Washington, but for a lawyer you are remarkably cavalier with any
      idea of justice. I am here today but last week you already found me
      guilty. You traduced my name around the world without ever having
      asked me a single question, without ever having contacted me, without
      ever written to me or telephoned me, without any attempt to contact
      me whatsoever. And you call that justice.

      "Now I want to deal with the pages that relate to me in this dossier
      and I want to point out areas where there are - let's be charitable
      and say errors. Then I want to put this in the context where I
      believe it ought to be. On the very first page of your document about
      me you assert that I have had 'many meetings' with Saddam Hussein.
      This is false. I have had two meetings with Saddam Hussein, once in
      1994 and once in August of 2002. By no stretch of the English
      language can that be described as "many meetings" with Saddam Hussein.

      As a matter of fact, I have met Saddam Hussein exactly the same
      number of times as Donald Rumsfeld met him. The difference is Donald
      Rumsfeld met him to sell him guns and to give him maps the better to
      target those guns. I met him to try and bring about an end to
      sanctions, suffering and war, and on the second of the two occasions,
      I met him to try and persuade him to let Dr Hans Blix and the United
      Nations weapons inspectors back into the country - a rather better
      use of two meetings with Saddam Hussein than your own Secretary of
      State for Defence made of his.

      I was an opponent of Saddam Hussein when British and Americans
      governments and businessmen were selling him guns and gas. I used to
      demonstrate outside the Iraqi embassy when British and American
      officials were going in and doing commerce. Š I have a rather better
      record of opposition to Saddam Hussein than you do and than any other
      member of the British or American governments do.

      Š You have my name on lists provided to you by the Duelfer inquiry,
      provided to him by the convicted bank robber, and fraudster and
      conman Ahmed Chalabi who many people to their credit in your country
      now realise played a decisive role in leading your country into the
      disaster in Iraq. There were 270 names on that list originally.
      That's somehow been filleted down to the names you chose to deal with
      in this committee. Some of the names on that committee included the
      former secretary to his Holiness Pope John Paul II, the former head
      of the African National Congress Presidential office and many others
      who had one defining characteristic in common: they all stood against
      the policy of sanctions and war which you vociferously prosecuted and
      which has led us to this disasterŠ

      Now, one of the most serious of the mistakes you have made in this
      set of documents is, to be frank, such a schoolboy howler as to make
      a fool of the efforts that you have made. You assert on page 19, not
      once but twice, that the documents that you are referring to cover a
      different period in time from the documents covered by The Daily
      Telegraph which were a subject of a libel action won by me in the
      High Court in England late last year.

      You state that The Daily Telegraph article cited documents from 1992
      and 1993 whilst you are dealing with documents dating from 2001.
      Senator, The Daily Telegraph's documents date identically to the
      documents that you were dealing with in your report here. None of The
      Daily Telegraph's documents dealt with a period of 1992, 1993. I had
      never set foot in Iraq until late in 1993 - never in my life. There
      could possibly be no documents relating to Oil-for-Food matters in
      1992, 1993, for the Oil-for-Food scheme did not exist at that time.

      And yet you've allocated a full section of this document to claiming
      that your documents are from a different era to the Daily Telegraph
      documents when the opposite is true. Your documents and the Daily
      Telegraph documents deal with exactly the same period. Now, the
      neo-con websites and newspapers in which you're such a hero, senator,
      were all absolutely cock-a-hoop at the publication of the Christian
      Science Monitor documents, they were all absolutely convinced of
      their authenticity. They were all absolutely convinced that these
      documents showed me receiving $10 million from the Saddam regime. And
      they were all lies. In the same week as the Daily Telegraph published
      their documents against me, the Christian Science Monitor published
      theirs which turned out to be forgeries and the British newspaper,
      Mail on Sunday, purchased a third set of documents which also upon
      forensic examination turned out to be forgeries. So there's nothing
      fanciful about this. Š It's a proven fact that these forged documents
      existed and were being circulated amongst right-wing newspapers in
      Baghdad and around the world in the immediate aftermath of the fall
      of the Iraqi regime.

      Now, Senator, I gave my heart and soul to oppose the policy that you
      promoted. I gave my political life's blood to try to stop the mass
      killing of Iraqis by the sanctions on Iraq which killed one million
      Iraqis, most of them children, most of them died before they even
      knew that they were Iraqis, but they died for no other reason other
      than that they were Iraqis with the misfortune to born at that time.
      I gave my heart and soul to stop you committing the disaster that you
      did commit in invading Iraq. And I told the world that your case for
      the war was a pack of lies. I told the world that Iraq, contrary to
      your claims did not have weapons of mass destruction. I told the
      world, contrary to your claims, that Iraq had no connection to
      al-Qaeda. I told the world, contrary to your claims, that Iraq had no
      connection to the atrocity on 9/11 2001. I told the world, contrary
      to your claims, that the Iraqi people would resist a British and
      American invasion of their country and that the fall of Baghdad would
      not be the beginning of the end, but merely the end of the beginning.
      Senator, in everything I said about Iraq, I turned out to be right
      and you turned out to be wrong and 100,000 people paid with their
      lives; 1600 of them American soldiers sent to their deaths on a pack
      of lies; 15,000 of them wounded, many of them disabled forever on a
      pack of lies.

      If the world had listened to Kofi Annan, whose dismissal you
      demanded, if the world had listened to President Chirac who you want
      to paint as some kind of corrupt traitor, if the world had listened
      to me and the anti-war movement in Britain, we would not be in the
      disaster that we are in today. Senator, this is the mother of all
      smokescreens. You are trying to divert attention from the crimes that
      you supported, from the theft of billions of dollars of Iraq's
      wealth. Have a look at the real Oil-for-Food scandal. Have a look at
      the 14 months you were in charge of Baghdad, the first 14 months when
      $8.8 billion of Iraq's wealth went missing on your watch. Have a look
      at Haliburton and other American corporations that stole not only
      Iraq's money, but the money of the American taxpayer. Have a look at
      the oil that you didn't even meter, that you were shipping out of the
      country and selling, the proceeds of which went who knows where? Have
      a look at the $800 million you gave to American military commanders
      to hand out around the country without even counting it or weighing
      it. "Have a look at the real scandal breaking in the newspapers
      today, revealed in the earlier testimony in this committee. That the
      biggest sanctions busters were not me or Russian politicians or
      French politicians. The real sanctions busters were your own
      companies with the connivance of your own Government."

      ---> * new home of Amsterdam's Radio Vrije Keyser: 89.6 FM
      ---> * Radio Tonka, The Hague's 10-year-old free radio station
      ---> * Radio Wanklank 90.9 FM, free radio in Wageningen <www.wanklank.nl>

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      o "plus another few hundred when it hits the BSI list!" Ezra
      o Old playlists archived at <http://www.wfmu.org/~bart/
      o Selected Playlists at http://www.romanapoli.com/black/wreckthismess.html
      o Someday: <http://wreckthismess.com/>
      o Check out excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete on
      Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/>

      CONTACT ninplant@... FOR REMOVAL