Økapi on Inflatabl Rec.

  • beatricenci
    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2005
      available now:
      "Where's the Beef" CD

      EAR/Rational Music - "Okapi is Filippo Paolini, an Italian
      turntablist and sample cutup artist. Filippo has recorded as one
      half of the duo Metaxu (with Maurizio Martusciello) and also the
      trio Dogon, and he's performed on RAI (Italian state radio) and
      collaborated with noted avant-turntablist Christian Marclay.
      Where's the Beef? marks the first solo album from Okapi. Okapi uses
      his turntables and computer to create music completely outside of
      the hip-hop school of chopped up music. Instead he has created an
      album that veers from orchestral to lounge to quirky experimental
      music, while maintaining a delicate and spacious sound throughout.
      His skill at sample manipulation is really quite amazing.
      Matt Haines, aka The Rip Off Artist and the owner of the label, has
      asked repeatedly 'how does he do that?!' (And Matt's no slouch
      behind the sampler controls!) In fact, before the label would sign
      Filippo they asked for proof that he wasn't just lifting entire
      sections of music from other sources. When he sent screen shots of
      his computer, there it was: hundreds of miniscule sample fragments,
      all connected into an seamless whole. Simply incredible."

      This is no doubt the most beautiful music INFLATABL has released so

      Vital - Staalplaat - It's the new Inflatabl Labl release! And here's
      the story: as I got this cd, the first time I listened to it was on
      a disc-man and with headphones, while walking outside in the city
      from one place to other. Being curious to hear it, I stopped and sat
      on a bench near a children's playground, amused by the music.
      Suddenly a foot-ball rolled over in front of me and then is when I
      noticed the little boy who was playing by himself, shooting the ball
      in different directions on the grass field in front of the bench I
      was sitting on. Then I realised he was actually looking for a
      companion to play with. Pity I didn't have much time and wasn't that
      much in a mood for that, so I just stood up, still with headphones
      and Okapi's cd playing, and just shoot the ball back to him. That's
      the moment when Okapi's music was most suitable with the general
      atmosphere, the idea of playfulness. Okapi is the Italian
      turntablist and sample cutup artist Filippo Paolini. I've heard him
      before as a part of Metaxu and Dogon, where the styles are
      contemporary electro-acoustic and jazzcore of a quite captivating
      kind. This, however, is his first solo album, totally different
      compared to Metaxu. There are 23 tracks on the album, all excursions
      into the playfulness of sounds, getting nearest maybe to jazz and
      more abstract hip-hop, with all the samples and beats skillfully
      combined and connected. Having in mind that Inflatabl Labl is (or
      tends to be) mostly a dance oriented label, may give a better and
      more complete picture of the music. From one of my more favourite
      dance labels, comes this certainly the most directly playful music
      they've released so far. Eccelente! -(BR)

      Gaz-Eta - "Where's the Beef?" is a debut solo release by an Italian
      turntablist and sample cutup artists Okapi, aka Filippo Paolini.
      Better known as one half of Metaxu [with Maurizio Martusciello] as
      well as an important member of Dogon, Filippo turns the spotlight on
      the art of borrowing or stealing [as some call it]. Stealing [or
      plunderphonia, as it's come to be known] is a delicate term. I mean,
      are you really stealing if you're only appropriating tiny, miniscule
      half a second sections of an original piece to make a larger piece,
      that in turn becomes your own. You put hundreds of these smaller
      sections into one great big whole and it sounds like an entirely new
      creation. Who does Okapi steal from, you ask? Nobody is safe in his
      world. People such as John Adams, Alva-Noto, Arvo Part, Willem
      Breuker, John Cage, Gamelan Music of Bali, Kid 606, Barre Phillips,
      Sun Ra, Vomit Lunch, Zelwer, ZNR and hundreds of others. He does it
      with such precision and grace that in no sense or form will you be
      able to recognize the original source recordings. His aim is not to
      glorify the source record, but to make a new, coherent piece that
      stands on its own two feet. The end result is not chaotic by any
      means, but rather maintains an aura of an orchestrated calm [which
      could easily fall in the realm of orchestral music even] and
      collective peace. His sampler, turntable, tapes and CDs all come in
      handy on his journey. [Filippo is so efficient in placing little
      snippets of other people's work that before Inflatabl Labl would
      sign him, its' owner, The Rip Off Artist asked him for proof that he
      wasn't simply lifting entire sections of music from other sources.
      As proof, Filippo sent screen shots of his computer, where tiny
      sample fragments where clearly visible as part of a new, connected
      whole.] The trip is essentially a success as traces of lifted works
      became the tools in the process to create the new work. If we take
      the beef to be original source material, then this CD is very
      appropriately titled - "Where's the Beef?", as the beef is nowhere
      to be found. - Tom Sekowski

      Igloo Magazine - Okapi is Filippo Paolini who just has a bright,
      bold style ala Senor Wences meets Meco meets Negativland (sans doom)
      sampling yesteryear's quirky Paramount production soundtracks and
      making them his own. Where's the Beef? plays like a veritable
      panoply of lil snippets and hanging chads with lots of humor and
      just enough soul. If you're looking for something that is both
      cartoonish and irreverently smart-ass, this will be in your player a
      good long time. It plays like a 50's spy themed commercial for
      dishwashing liquid. It's a twisted tongue-in-cheek sleeper; Samba
      here, Road Runner there --just a thrill-seeker's ear-fest. If you
      saw the scene in The (remade) Stepford Wives where Nicole Kidman is
      walking through the technicolor supermarket, yeah, it's like
      that! I
      love the ease that he uses to play time machine, going from the tick-
      tock time machine, turning back the hands of the clock to the pulse
      of post 4 a.m. dancefloor sounds of "Stek House" to the eerie
      Hawaiian themes toyed with on "Spendo Bene!." These short snippets
      are like lil' burlesque haikus, all shortened and to the point. What
      makes this different than the cut-ups of others is that the samples
      are well blended, finely integrated, like a sound landscape that is
      so intentional and prefabricated that it could put SIM City to
      shame. Ten thumbs up! - TJ Norris