FW: [thewire] Anthony Braxton 60th Birthday Collection

  • michael jackson
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2005
      Maybe a nice contribution would be concurrent concerts in multiple cities,
      not necessarily of HIS
      music. but reflecting his influence on a musician's thinking & performing ?
      What thinkest thee ?

> [...]
      >Abrams' "Levels And Degrees of Light". One outcome of Braxton's
      >never-wavering dedication over these four decades is a qualitively
      >astounding discography of nearly 250 albums.
      >
      >Braxton's birthday provides a great opportunity for us to show our
      >appreciation - not only of his music but for him as an artist who held
      >out through rough times (like the first half of the 80s or the period
      >after his expensive opera project "Trillium R", 1996).
      >
      >Mr. Braxton has been quite generous about his fans' sharing of OOP
      >records (for example the scandalously unavailable Arista albums!) and
      >even encourages it. So if you partook in trading/downloading this
      >material or live bootlegs or if you simply want to make a birthday
      >present you can do this now through the "Anthony Braxton 60th Birthday
      >Collection".
      >
      >The procedure: Click
      >
      >http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q123432FA
      >
      >or
      >
      >http://tinyurl.com/baffd
      >
      >Both links lead to the following PayPal page
      >
      >paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=gregory%2es%2eblake%40fri
      >tolay%2ecom&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&tax=0¤cy_code=USD&lc=US
      >
      >and are provided for better usability.
      >
      >The "AB60thBC" utilizes a PayPal business account. Therefore donors
      >don't need to be PayPal members and can send their contributions also
      >with their credit cards. Only 1.5% PP transaction fees will be deducted
      >from each donation - the rest will be taken over by us.
      >
      >*Mr. Braxton will get 98.5% of the total sum of the
      >contributions.*
      >
      >Once the campaign has ended (June 30th), the money will be sent to
      >Braxton via check. Proof that he got it will be provided with scans of
      >the transaction stub and/or a message from Mr. Braxton.
      >
      >Braxton himself doesn't know about this initiative yet.
      >
      >Please forward this mail (or only the link to the PP account page) to
      >any person that might be interested in contributing to the campaign.
      >
      >Thanks in advance for any donation!
      >
      >Regards
      >Greg Blake - manager of the "AB 60th birthday" PP account
      >Franz Fuchs - moderator of the Braxton mailing list
      >
      >Some links:
      >
      >- Anthony Braxton And The Tri-Centric Foundation
      > (+ Braxton House label)
      >http://www.restructures.net/BraxDisco/BraxDisco.htm
      >
      >- Jason Guthartz's Braxton discography
      >http://www.restructures.net/BraxDisco/BraxDisco.htm
      >
      >- The Restructures link library with articles on & interviews
      > with Braxton
      >http://www.restructures.net/links/links.htm#B
      >
      >- Yahoo mailing list (founded in 1999)
      >
      >- Braxton audio lecture 1985 (nearly two hours!) at
      > Other Minds/Internet Archive
      >http://makeashorterlink.com/?D5C21257A
      >
      >- Interview with Downbeat's John Corbett (1994)
      >http://makeashorterlink.com/?C11F429FA
      >
      >- Interview with Fred Jung (2001)
      >http://www.jazzweekly.com/interviews/abraxton.htm
      >
      >- The monumental "Third Milleniall Interview"

    • Franz Fuchs
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2005
        > Maybe a nice contribution would be concurrent concerts in
        > multiple cities, not necessarily of HIS music. but reflecting
        > his influence on a musician's thinking & performing ?
        > What thinkest thee ?

        No doubt, that's a laudable idea! Ideally such events (I guess you'll
        provide details if your plan should become concrete) would also - I hope
        I'm not sounding pushy - draw discreetly attention to the PayPal
        campaign.

        For the time being, I know of one Braxton tribute concert (which has a
        different direction, though).

        Gino Robair is prominently involved in organizing it. He wrote on the
        Braxton list:

        "As part of the annual Matthew Sperry Memorial Festival, we will be
        celebrating the 60th birthday of Anthony Braxton by assembling a
        60-piece creative orchestra to play pieces from throughout his vast
        catalog of works. The event will take place on Satruday evening, June 4,
        2005 at 21 Grand, Oakland, CA. We're still working out the details of
        the instrumentation and pieces, but it'll combine ensemble works, solo
        pieces, sections of GTM, and a variety of other structures. I'll send
        out an update as we solidify the program."

        Best regards
        Franz Fuchs
      • michael jackson
        Message 3 of 4 , May 5, 2005
          >I hope I'm not sounding pushy - draw discreetly attention to the PayPal
          >campaign.

          Sure, I don't take that as sounding pushy- that was a part of my intention.
          About 15 years ago I actually called the man on his birthday to extend my
          gratitude and well-wishing

          >For the time being, I know of one Braxton tribute concert Gino Robair is
          >prominently involved in >organizing it.

          Well Mr. Robair & co. have an intimate working relationship with the master
          & have a history of interpreting his works. All I have to offer at this
          point is my enthusiasm & gratitude.

          I'll keep you posted as others choose to get involved

          best
          michael thomas jackson

          www.microearth.com/jackson

        • Tony Renner
          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 2005
            Maybe it's just me but the words "Pay Pal" make me
            puke.

            I wanted the Fridge cd that Temporary Residence put
            out a couple of years ago so much that I actually went
            to the trouble of setting up an acount -- that I've
            never used again -- but it was pretty much a blow to
            my psyche from which I've never recovered.

            Who are "Pay Pal" and what exactly are they doing with
            our money? Feeding the hungry? Doubtful....

            Anyway, I listened to several of those Arista albums
            in the early '80s -- purchased as cutouts for $1/disc
            -- when I was way to young to appreciate them. Where
            are they now? Sold to a used record store.... Long,
            sad story deleted....

            I don't know if I can put together a show for June 4th
            but I'll definitely play my guitar on that day in
            honor of Mr. Braxton.

            -- Tony

            Yahoo! Mail