Re: Minimalism

  • iain
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 5, 1999
      this isnt vlad from collingham gardens isit?

      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 19, 1999
        >From: Edmund Davie <zclfs55@...>
        >
        >Open question: what's the most minimal music you know?
        >I ask not as a competition, but hoping that trying to answer will give
        >me a definition of minimalism.

        I'll get this one in quick!

        Cage's 4'33" (or doesn't that count?)

        ++++++++++++++++++++++++

        Alex Stone

        Concepts/Copy/Design

        ++++++++++++++++++++++++
      • Edmund Davie
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 19, 1999
          Open question: what's the most minimal music you know?
          I ask not as a competition, but hoping that trying to answer will give
          me a definition of minimalism.
        • Melvyn Folkard
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 19, 1999
            Anything by Tony Conrad!

            -Mel

          • Riouxs@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 19, 1999
              > >Open question: what's the most minimal music you know?
              > >I ask not as a competition, but hoping that trying to answer will give
              > >me a definition of minimalism.

              The true definition of generally accepted 'minimalism' is a good question. I
              understand that Conrad, Reich, Palestine, Glass etc. are considered the
              foundation of minimalistic music. Where does artists such as f. lopez,
              bernhard gunter, john hudak reside? This IMO represents a tiny, barely
              perceptible music that seems more in line w/ what minimalism should represent.

              regards,

              jason
              rioux's records
              riouxs@...
            • Iain Hinchliffe
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 19, 1999
                >From: Edmund Davie <zclfs55@...>
                >
                >Open question: what's the most minimal music you know?
                >I ask not as a competition, but hoping that trying to answer will give
                >me a definition of minimalism.

                perhaps: Morton Feldmann; Thomas Koner; Mike Ink as Studio 1; Richie
                Hawtin's Concept series and Thomas Brinkmann's Concept 1 Variations;
                Ligetti; Pan sonic; Maurizio; Final; Main..........

                Iain H.
              • Philip Sherburne
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 19, 1999
                  I'll indulge myself in a plug here:
                  For all y'all interested in minimalism, keep your eyes peeled for a
                  special feature in the upcoming Urban Sounds (www.urbansounds.com)
                  including interviews (and exclusive tracks) with Richie Hawtin, Thomas
                  Brinkmann, Noto, and others...

                  Phil

                  >From: "Iain Hinchliffe" <Iain.Hinchliffe@...>
                  >To: <thewire@onelist.com>
                  >Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 18:12:39 -0000
                  >Subject: [thewire] Re: Minimalism
                  >
                  >From: "Iain Hinchliffe" <Iain.Hinchliffe@...>
                  >
                  >>From: Edmund Davie <zclfs55@...>
                  >>
                  >>Open question: what's the most minimal music you know?
                  >>I ask not as a competition, but hoping that trying to answer will give
                  >>me a definition of minimalism.
                  >
                  >perhaps: Morton Feldmann; Thomas Koner; Mike Ink as Studio 1; Richie
                  >Hawtin's Concept series and Thomas Brinkmann's Concept 1 Variations;
                  >Ligetti; Pan sonic; Maurizio; Final; Main..........
                  >

                  >Iain H.

                • Danny Gromfin
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 19, 1999
                    LaMonte Young and Terry Riley moving away from "serial" compositions and
                    into "sustaining drones"

                  • Burton Thomas
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 19, 1999
                      Maybe we should go to the source--wasn't it Michael Nyman who coined the
                      term "minimalism" in his book "Experimental Music...?" Like most
                      descriptive terms, it may very well have meant one thing then and something
                      quite different today. Unfortunately, I don't have the book in front of me
                      but I'm sure someone else can provide Nyman's definition. A contemporary
                      definition may be quite another thing.

                      At 05:01 PM 2/19/99 +0000, you wrote:
                      >From: Edmund Davie <zclfs55@...>
                      >
                      >Open question: what's the most minimal music you know?
                      >I ask not as a competition, but hoping that trying to answer will give
                      >me a definition of minimalism.

                    • Davis Ford
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 19, 1999
                        You've got two schools of thought here and two different time periods,
                        apparently. At least from the responses so far, a person either mentions old
                        stuff like Conrad, Young, Reich, etc. or else what I would consider minimalist
                        techno: Ink, Chain Reaction, Hawtin, Brinkmann, etc. There is a sense of long
                        drawn out periods of time, with not much going on, and things evolve slowly and
                        subtley as a function of time. That is my definition of minimalism. It could be
                        executed by basically anything or any means. It also seems to inspire new ways of
                        hearing for me which is why I like it.

                        Davis
                      • Chester Blaze
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 19, 1999
                          The best is Plastikman. Definitely the smoothest. Although what I am
                          listening to now is nice, pretty minimal.

                          ..chesterblaze signing off..
                          �-�-�-�-�-�-�-�-�-�-�-�
                          ...stay linked...
                          (in my cd player now: burger/ink - las vegas)

                          ----------
                          >From: "Melvyn Folkard" <folkard@...>
                          >To: thewire@onelist.com
                          >Subject: [thewire] Re: Minimalism
                          >Date: Fri, Feb 19, 1999, 12:40 PM
                          >

                          > From: "Melvyn Folkard" <folkard@...>
                          >
                          > Anything by Tony Conrad!
                          >
                          > -Mel
                          >

                          >>From: Edmund Davie <zclfs55@...>
                          >>
                          >>Open question: what's the most minimal music you know?
                          >>I ask not as a competition, but hoping that trying to answer will give
                          >>me a definition of minimalism.

                        • Vladimir Jovanovic
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 19, 1999
                            Eliane Radigue: Trilogie de la mort
                            is a superb minimal release.
                            One of the best in the genre.

                            Check it out from XI Records.

                            Vladimir
                          • piMMon
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 21, 1999
                              ....while we're spinning along the minimal axis...

                              >There is a sense of long drawn out periods of time, with not much
                              >going on, and things evolve slowly and subtley as a function of time.

                              I'd like to draw your attention to a wonderful label..Sigma Editions
                              [Dion used to be in NZ outfit Thela, now in Parmentier...]..the 5 CDs
                              from this label are nothing short of amazing...artists are Parmentier
                              [Melbourne], Rosy Parlane [Melbourne], Minit [Sydney], , David Haines
                              [Sydney] & Vladislav Delay [Finland]...I can't recommend them highly
                              enough...

                              the sounds are warm and rich with subtle tones/drones/pulses
                              minimalistic ripples that swell with subtle shifting pallettes of sound..
                              should please most on the list...

                              Euro listees note that the label is on tour from late May, showcasing
                              3 of the artists...

                              check em out...

                              paul
                            • Randy Gelling
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 23, 1999
                                I agree, the community radio station I work at received this three CD set
                                and it has become a favorite to play in the office. Simply amazing.

                                On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Vladimir Jovanovic wrote:

                                > Eliane Radigue: Trilogie de la mort
                                > is a superb minimal release.
                                > One of the best in the genre.
                                >
                                > Check it out from XI Records.
                                >

                                > Vladimir
                              • Edmund Davie
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 25, 1999
                                  > Maybe I'm slow on the uptake, but I found this remarkably
                                  > insightful. What people mean when they say "x is minimalist" is "x
                                  > is minimal", and they just put the "-ist" on the end because it
                                  > makes them sound as if they went to art school.

                                  That's unfair. Someone doing something minimal is a minimalist.
                                  Minimalism is doing something minimal.
                                • Rhys Chatham
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 25, 1999
                                    >From: Edmund Davie <zclfs55@...>
                                    >

                                    >That's unfair. Someone doing something minimal is a minimalist.
                                    >Minimalism is doing something minimal.

                                    Nope. Can't agree with this.

                                    Someone doing something minimal is doing "Minimalist-influenced music",
                                    whether they are aware of it or not.

                                    Minimalism, by every accepted textbook definition, was a style of music
                                    which came out of America and the UK which was defined as a style in the
                                    60s and 70s.

                                    Sombody else got there first, sorry!

                                    regards,

                                    Rhys Chatham
                                    e-mail: Rhys.Chatham@...
                                    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rhys.chatham/
                                    http://www.goddard.edu/wgdr/kalvos/chatham.html
                                  • Oeivind Idsoe
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 25, 1999
                                      Rhys Chatham wrote:

                                      > >From: Edmund Davie <zclfs55@...>
                                      > >
                                      > >That's unfair. Someone doing something minimal is a minimalist.
                                      > >Minimalism is doing something minimal.
                                      >
                                      > Nope. Can't agree with this.
                                      >
                                      > Someone doing something minimal is doing "Minimalist-influenced music",
                                      > whether they are aware of it or not.

                                      But doesn�t this imply that the movement called "minimalism" ended at a
                                      certain point in time? What if someone feels it can be further developed?
                                      Wouldn�t it still be minimalist music? And who "decides" when minimalism
                                      ended -- the people involved, or perhaps the art critic who pronounces it
                                      dead?

                                      Does this also mean that you can not make a surrealist painting in 1999,
                                      only a surreal painting?

                                      > Minimalism, by every accepted textbook definition, was a style of music
                                      > which came out of America and the UK which was defined as a style in the
                                      > 60s and 70s.

                                      OK...the movement might be dead but what about the actual art?

                                      > Sombody else got there first, sorry!

                                      Yes, and I don�t think anyone is disputing this. The question, or at least
                                      one of the questions, is whether music made so "long" after the inital
                                      movement can still be called minimalist. I know the "isms" implies a
                                      movement, while "minimal" simply refers to form/content, but couldn�t
                                      "minimal" music still be the continueing of the minimalist movement?

                                      Compromise: the dreaded "post" should be added...anyone up for a game of
                                      post-minimalism? It worked for modernism...well, for postmodernism, at
                                      least. That�s the problem: some new kid on the block stepping on the toes
                                      of the founding fathers?

                                      The limitation of concepts once again.

                                      > regards,
                                      > Rhys Chatham

                                      /Oeivind/
                                    • Mark Coyle
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 25, 1999
                                        Hi,

                                        while obviously of interest, I don't really think we can complain in future
                                        about The Wire not appealling to a broader audience or people accusing us of
                                        being musical boffins when we can discuss Minimalism vs minimalism vs
                                        post-minimalism vs minimalism influenced so strongly. I ask genuinely, does
                                        it actually matter? Thank goodness we haven't started on post-classical vs
                                        musique concrete vs electro-acoustic and so it goes. Keep smiling.

                                        cheers
                                        Mark

                                        >> >That's unfair. Someone doing something minimal is a minimalist.
                                        >> >Minimalism is doing something minimal.
                                        >>
                                        >> Nope. Can't agree with this.
                                        >>
                                        >> Someone doing something minimal is doing "Minimalist-influenced music",
                                        >> whether they are aware of it or not.
                                        >
                                        >But doesn�t this imply that the movement called "minimalism" ended at a
                                        >certain point in time? What if someone feels it can be further developed?
                                        >Wouldn�t it still be minimalist music? And who "decides" when minimalism
                                        >ended -- the people involved, or perhaps the art critic who pronounces it
                                        >dead?
                                        >
                                        >Does this also mean that you can not make a surrealist painting in 1999,
                                        >only a surreal painting?
                                        >
                                        >> Minimalism, by every accepted textbook definition, was a style of music
                                        >> which came out of America and the UK which was defined as a style in the
                                        >> 60s and 70s.
                                        >
                                        >OK...the movement might be dead but what about the actual art?
                                        >
                                        >> Sombody else got there first, sorry!
                                        >
                                        >Yes, and I don�t think anyone is disputing this. The question, or at least
                                        >one of the questions, is whether music made so "long" after the inital
                                        >movement can still be called minimalist. I know the "isms" implies a
                                        >movement, while "minimal" simply refers to form/content, but couldn�t
                                        >"minimal" music still be the continueing of the minimalist movement?
                                        >
                                        >Compromise: the dreaded "post" should be added...anyone up for a game of
                                        >post-minimalism? It worked for modernism...well, for postmodernism, at
                                        >least. That�s the problem: some new kid on the block stepping on the toes
                                        >of the founding fathers?
                                        >
                                        >The limitation of concepts once again.
                                        >
                                        >> regards,
                                        >> Rhys Chatham
                                        >
                                        >/Oeivind/

                                      • Edmund Davie
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 26, 1999
                                          If anyone can remember that far back I started the minimalism thread by
                                          asking what was the "most minimal" music. I'm not asking what
                                          "minimalism" should refer to but in what ways music can be minimal.
                                          I don't think minimalism implies a movement, it implies a process of
                                          making something minimal, in the same way "terrorist" (say) implies a
                                          process of making terror.
                                        • PATRICK GIBSON
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 31, 2005
                                            hi wire fans, I am trying to track down a minimalism top ten Alan Licht did for Halana magazine in issues one and three.

                                            Any body got it?

                                            Cheers,

                                            Patrick
                                            ps.................anybody got thier own Minimalism top ten list

                                          • K. Michael Babcock
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Nov 7, 2005
                                              http://www.halana.com/licht.html

                                              On 10/31/05, PATRICK GIBSON <patrick.gibson@...> wrote:

                                              > hi wire fans, I am trying to track down a minimalism top ten Alan Licht
                                              > did for Halana magazine in issues one and three.
                                              >
                                              > Any body got it?
                                              >
                                              > Cheers,
                                              >
                                              > Patrick
                                              > ps.................anybody got thier own Minimalism top ten list

                                              K. Michael Babcock
                                              RoadNoise
                                              www.Road-Noise.net <http://www.Road-Noise.net>
                                              mail@...
                                              1-800-758-9267

                                            • Martin Walden
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Nov 9, 2005
                                                wrote:

                                                anybody got thier own Minimalism top ten list?

                                                Yep, here's mine!

                                                1.
                                                2.
                                                3.
                                                4.
                                                5.
                                                6.
                                                7.
                                                8.
                                                9.
                                                10.

                                                Sorry, couldn't resist... ;)

                                                Love

                                                Martin

                                              • Keith Berry
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Nov 10, 2005
                                                  Not sure about track five Martin, but the rest is spot on!

                                                  > anybody got thier own Minimalism top ten list?
                                                  >
                                                  > Yep, here's mine!
                                                  >

                                                  > 1.
                                                  > 2.
                                                  > 3.
                                                  > 4.
                                                  > 5.
                                                  > 6.
                                                  > 7.
                                                  > 8.
                                                  > 9.
                                                  > 10.
                                                  >
                                                  > Sorry, couldn't resist... ;)
                                                  >
                                                  > Love
                                                  >
                                                  > Martin

                                                  Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com

                                                • Tony Renner
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Nov 10, 2005
                                                    i don't know, i've always been partial to track 5,
                                                    especially at around 0:00:00 where you've got that
                                                    awesome part that goes, " ".

                                                    -- tony

                                                    http://mail.yahoo.com