Wreck: Hank Williams vs Joy Division

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2005

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: no. 281: Lovesick Will Tear Us
      Apart Blues

      streaming via internet: iv>
      http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>
      <http://freeteam.nl:8000/patapoe.m3u>

      PTP back in the ether soon: 88.3 FM
      New home of Radio Vrije Keyser: 89.6 FM
      Radio Tonka The Hague's free radio station is 10 years old
      <www.radiotonka.nl/>

      "My trouble began when they decided I was executive timber."
      o William S. Burroughs

      31 January 2005 / 17-19.00
      *****

      Demon Love > L'Oeuf Raide [1]
      Remixed Bedroom Minimalism > Shannon Fields vs Martin Nieznanski [2]
      A New York Minute > Alan Licht [3]
      As I Lay Dying > Vox Populi [4]
      Damaged Bedroom Minimalism > Shannon Fields vs Martin Nieznanski [2]
      Accidentasia > B/Art [5]
      Electrostatic Blues > Ernesto Diaz-Infante vs Lance Grabmiller [2]
      A New York Minute > Alan Licht [3]
      Somber Lines for Tired Skys > Sparrow Orange [6]
      39 Steps > Zeena Parkins vs Ikue Mori [7]
      Trafficanto > B/Art [5]
      Transparent Things > Zeena Parkins vs Ikue Mori [7]
      A New York Minute > Alan Licht [3]
      Heavy Traffic > Lance Grabmiller [2]
      WaoWaoWao > L'Oeuf Raide [1]
      Ce Grand Neant > Tom Cora vs Catherine Jauniaux [8]
      Modern > Yoshida Brothers [9]
      Vattenlek > Johan Hedin vs Harald Pettersson [10]
      Trip Hot > L'Oeuf Raide [1]
      AC Harmonics > International People's Gang [11]
      Wrestle a Live Nude Girl > Michael Franks [12]
      Mona > Jane Gilday [13]
      Lovesick Blues > Rex Griffin [14]
      Lovesick Blues > Hank Williams [15]
      Lovesick Blues > Slim Whitman [16]
      Love Will Tear Us Apart > Joy Division [17]
      Lovesick Blues > Randy Erwin [18]
      Love Will Tear Us Apart > Swans [19]
      Last Night I Dreamed of Heaven > Hank Williams [15]
      I Remember Nothing > Joy Division [20]
      Cold Cold Heart > Hank Williams [21]
      Heart & Soul > Joy Division [22]
      Settin the Woods on Fire > Hank Williams [21]
      Atrocity Exhibition > Joy Division [22]
      Sundown & Sorrow > Hank Williams [15]
      New Dawn Fades > Joy Division [20]
      Crazy Heart > Hank Williams [15]
      She's Lost Control > Joy Division [20]
      ~*~*~

      [1] "13' a la Douzaine" on Jarring Effects <http:/jarringeffects.free.fr>

      [2] "Praeface" on Praemedia <www.praemedia.com>

      [3] "A New York Minute" on XI <www.xirecrods.com> I love the title piece.

      [4] "As I Lay Dying vs Club Junkies" on Jarring Effects
      <http:/jarringeffects.free.fr>

      [5] "Collected Selected Uncollectibles" <ninplant@...>. This is
      a direct cousin of the Licht piece in that I used to record weather
      reports especially during cataclysmic winter storms that wreaked
      havoc on traffic, when spliced together, they gave an apocalyptic
      feel to the urban universe.

      [6] "Hands & Knees Music" on Noise Factory <www.noisefactoryrecords.com>

      [7] "Phantom Orchard" on Mego <www.mego.at>

      [8] "It's A Brand New Day" on Knitting Factory <www.knittingfactory.com>

      [9] "Tsugaru Shamisen" was sent to me by Claude, a fellow yodel-naut.
      It is an excellent collection of this sound/music: a version of
      Shamisen music played on a three stringed Japanese Lute, from the
      "Tsugaru" region in the north of Japan where the winters are long and
      heavy and so the people amused themselves with this music. Its roots
      lie in the arab instrument, the oud [or European lute - see Jozef van
      Wissem's renovation of antique lute music.] The shamisen was
      introduced to the Far East in the 16th century and helps give Asian
      chamber music, "Kabuki" and "Bunraku"(puppet play) music its unique
      sound. The Yoshida Brothers nimbly and intensely play a kind of very
      engaged and intensely punk [Wire comes to mind] version of this musicŠ

      [10] Scandinavia" Polska, Joiks, Accordions and fiddles" on Rough
      Guide <www.worldmusic.com>

      [11] "It's Still an Anxious Age" on Em:t <www.emit.cc/>. Welcome back
      to this ether-piercing ambient labelŠ

      [12] "Burchfield Nines" on Warner Brothers vinyl, 1978. MF's sound
      and attitude is pinioned somewhere between Steely Dan & Mose Allison.
      Relaxed, bemused, snideŠ

      [13] "14 Recordings" <plainjane1@...> on Gilday.
      Flittering and strumming about somewhere between Tom Robinson, Dave
      Edmunds, this crafts[wo]man, former male lead of the legendary
      American The The, has a melodic fragility that edges into satisfying
      bewildered bitterness - the best mixed emotion of all great pop. JG
      in a recent email: "bart it's creepy here in the usa these days...
      you may have been very fortunate (prescient? or just lucky?) in
      moving to holland... recently, in part because of the
      auschwitz-liberation anniversary, i spend a lot of time digging into
      the roots of nazism and wondering how it felt to be a non-wacko
      just-working-and-living citizen in germany in say, 1931, and worrying
      if those new politicians were really something to worry about... then
      still going about one's business and keeping yer fingers crossed and
      it's 1937... and yer wondering if maybe it's time to go
      elsewhere...and suddenly it's a day in 1939 and everything has
      changed forever as poland feels the fangs of the reptiles and you're
      stuck there and within a few years all hell has literally broken
      loose. Amazing how many people here -- myself included -- daydream
      about moving to canada or elsewhere these days... it's truly creepy
      and bob dylan's last two CD's were but harbingers by a gifted seer of
      just how much shit was approaching on the wind: "the air is getting
      hotter, there's a rumbling in the skies.

      [14] "The Ultimate Yodelling Collection" on Castle Pulse
      <www.sanctuaryrecordsgroup.co.uk>. Good but certainly not ultimate
      unless you just basically think guys under cowboy hats are the only
      yodelers worth mentioning.

      [15] "The Immortal Hank Williams" on Metro vinyl. This skinny lanky
      guy had an allure that had never been seen or heard in country until
      he came along. He appealed to people in a way that Bing & Sinatra did
      in popular music. In fact when he yodeled [his own unique style of
      mid-line and mid-word howl that added an extra bluesy woe-is-me tint
      to the lyrics like a nocturnal animal being dragged across a dry and
      dusty plain] he had people gasping and swooning. He also bore a lot
      of pain in his back and legs and took "medicines" for his pain.
      Liquor killed the pain of numerous physical and metaphysical ailments
      but eventually he killed the pain and himself - alcohol poisoning in
      the back of a car at age 29.

      [16] See 14. Remember it's Whitman's yodeling that is discovered to
      be the secret weapon against invading martians in "Mars Attacks" when
      the sound of his yodeling pierces the helmets of the martians and
      makes their heads explodeŠ

      [17] "Substance" on Qwest. Fairly good collection of outtakes and
      alt. versions. Ian Curtis seems to be the emotional compeer of Hank
      Williams and I detected a strange emotional overlap in their
      repertoires. Hence this last hour of actually quite serendipitous
      programming. Curtis also killed himself albeit at an earlier age [in
      a sped-up world about the same age I suppose] in circumstances that
      seem to converge with the circumstances of Nick Drake's suicide -
      drugs and woe-is-me sensititivities surrounding love-sicknessŠ IC was
      part of that 24-hr-party-people scene and, in his day, HW also spent
      some 30 hours of experience in every dayŠ

      [18] "Best of Randy Erwin" <randyskalicky@...>. The best is
      A LOT. He exemplifies the very NOT-DEAD progressive renovation of
      yodeling with one blood vessel anchored spliced into roots and the
      other fluttering in the breezes of creative vocalizations. He goes
      deep and has breadth from being the yodeling voice of Alameda Slim
      [Home on the Range] to haunting renditions of Emmett Miller.

      [19] "Various Failures" on Fringecore. Have never been a fan of the
      Swans but have always thought Jarbo's melancholy and sedately baleful
      singing to be nearly magical.

      [20] "Unknown Pleasures" on Factory. Armed with this album I could
      conquer lovesickness circa 1980. I delved into dark and romantic
      woe-is-me-ism I thought I could mine for some memorable poetry but
      alasŠ all I've got is this worn copy of the vinyl to show for my trip.

      [21] "Hank Williams Memorial Album" on MGM vinyl.

      [22] "Closer" on Factory. Taking the title and mausoleum image on the
      cover, you wonder if Curtis's suicide wasn't predestined/predicted to
      happenŠ

      ~~~~~~~
      * For whatever it's worth: YODEL-AY-EE-0000: THE SECRET HISTORY OF
      YODELING AROUND THE WORLD is now available at the main public library
      if you're in Amsterdam, interested in yodeling but short of cash. If
      you are long on cash and fat in wallet, it is available at Fort van
      Sjakoo, ABC, Athenaeum.

      * I will be embarking on a strategic un-stealth yodeling mission to
      America's heartland, the Midwest where I have been invited to yack
      and babble on and on about this most maligned of vocalizationsŠ If
      you are interested and in the designated red yodel zones [wisconsin,
      Chicago, Michigan, Indiana, Colorado and NYC ] April-May and are
      interested in hearing some yodeling and something about yodeling send
      me an emailŠ
      -----
      I noticed that the timbre, intent, emotional crawl space of these two
      artists was somehow linked via some central nervous system.

      o Lovesick Blues [by Irving Mills and Cliff Friend (1922) but defined by HW]
      "I got a feelin' called the blues, / Since my baby said good-bye /
      Lawd I don't know what l'll do / All I do is sit and sigh / That last
      long day she said goodbye / Well Lawd, I thought I would cryŠ"

      o Love Will Tear Us Apart [Ian Curtis]
      "When the routine bites hard / And ambitions are low / And the
      resentment rides high / But emotions won't grow / And we're changing
      our ways, / Taking different roads / Then love, love will tear us
      apart again"
      --------
      Cold Cold Heart [Hank Williams]
      "A memory from your lonesome past keeps us so far apart / Why can't I
      free your doubtful mind and melt your cold, cold heart? / Another
      love before my time made your heart sad and blue / And so my heart is
      paying now for things I didn't do / In anger unkind words are said
      that make the teardrops start / Why can't I free your doubtful mind
      and melt your cold, cold heart?Š"

      Heart & Soul [Joy Division]
      "ŠI'll observe with a pitiful eye, / I'll humbly ask for forgiveness,
      / A request well beyond you and iŠ. / Existence well what does it
      matter?
      I exist on the best terms I can. / The past is now part of my future,
      / The present is well out of handŠ."

      -------
      Crazy Heart [by maurice murry/fred rose but defined by HW]
      "You thought she'd care for you and so you acted smart / Go on an
      break, you crazy heart / You lived on promises I knew would fall
      a-part
      Go on and break you crazy heartŠ. / I knew you'd wake up and find
      her missin' / I tried my best to warn you, but you wouldnít listen /
      You told me I was wrong, you thought that you were smart / Go on an
      break you crazy heart."

      She's Lost Control [Joy Division]
      "Confusion in her eyes that says it all. / She's lost control. / And
      she's clinging to the nearest passerby, / She's lost control. / And
      she gave away the secrets of her past, / And said I've lost control
      again, / And a voice that told her when and where to act, She said
      I've lost control again."

      ~~~~~~~~
      No Tomorrow by Bill Moyers, Public TV journalist/commentator

      One of the biggest changes in politics in my lifetime is that the
      delusional is no longer marginal. It has come in from the fringe, to
      sit in the seat of power in the Oval Office and in Congress. For the
      first time in our history, ideology and theology hold a monopoly of
      power in Washington. Theology asserts propositions that cannot be
      proven true; ideologues hold stoutly to a worldview despite being
      contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality. When ideology
      and theology couple, their offspring are not always bad but they are
      always blind. And there is the danger: voters and politicians alike,
      oblivious to the facts.Š They are the people who believe the Bible is
      literally true - one-third of the American electorate, if a recent
      Gallup poll is accurate. In this past election several million good
      and decent citizens went to the polls believing in the rapture index.

      That's right - the rapture index. Google it and you will find that
      the best-selling books in America today are the 12 volumes of the
      "Left Behind" series written by the Christian fundamentalist and
      religious-right warrior Timothy LaHaye. These true believers
      subscribe to a fantastical theology concocted in the 19th century by
      a couple of immigrant preachers who took disparate passages from the
      Bible and wove them into a narrative that has captivated the
      imagination of millions of Americans. Its outline is rather simple,
      if bizarre (the British writer George Monbiot recently did a
      brilliant dissection of it and I am indebted to him for adding to my
      own understanding): Once Israel has occupied the rest of its
      "biblical lands," legions of the antichrist will attack it,
      triggering a final showdown in the valley of Armageddon.

      As the Jews who have not been converted are burned, the messiah will
      return for the rapture. True believers will be lifted out of their
      clothes and transported to Heaven, where, seated next to the right
      hand of God, they will watch their political and religious opponents
      suffer plagues of boils, sores, locusts and frogs during the several
      years of tribulation that follow. I'm not making this up. Š They are
      sincere, serious and polite as they tell you they feel called to help
      bring the rapture on as fulfillment of biblical prophecy. That's why
      they have declared solidarity with Israel and the Jewish settlements
      and backed up their support with money and volunteers. It's why the
      invasion of Iraq for them was a warm-up act, predicted in the Book of
      Revelations where four angels "which are bound in the great river
      Euphrates will be released to slay the third part of man." A war with
      Islam in the Middle East is not something to be feared but welcomed -
      an essential conflagration on the road to redemption.

      So what does this mean for public policy and the environment? Go to
      Grist to read a remarkable work of reporting by the journalist Glenn
      Scherer - "The Road to Environmental Apocalypse." Read it and you
      will see how millions of Christian fundamentalists may believe that
      environmental destruction is not only to be disregarded but actually
      welcomed - even hastened - as a sign of the coming apocalypse. As
      Grist makes clear, we're not talking about a handful of fringe
      lawmakers who hold or are beholden to these beliefs. Nearly half the
      U.S. Congress before the recent election - 231 legislators in total
      and more since the election - are backed by the religious right.
      Forty-five senators and 186 members of the 108th Congress earned 80
      to 100 percent approval ratings from the three most influential
      Christian right advocacy groups. They include Senate Majority Leader
      Bill Frist, Assistant Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Conference
      Chair Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, Policy Chair Jon Kyl of Arizona,
      House Speaker Dennis Hastert and Majority Whip Roy Blunt. The only
      Democrat to score 100 percent with the Christian coalition was Sen.
      Zell Miller of Georgia, who recently quoted from the biblical book of
      Amos on the Senate floor: "The days will come, sayeth the Lord God,
      that I will send a famine in the land." He seemed to be relishing the
      thought. And why not? There's a constituency for it. A 2002 Time-CNN
      poll found that 59 percent of Americans believe that the prophecies
      found in the book of Revelations are going to come true. Nearly
      one-quarter think the Bible predicted the 9/11 attacks. Drive across
      the country with your radio tuned to the more than 1,600 Christian
      radio stations, or in the motel turn on some of the 250 Christian TV
      stations, and you can hear some of this end-time gospel. And you will
      come to understand why people under the spell of such potent
      prophecies cannot be expected, as Grist puts it, "to worry about the
      environmentŠ"

      ŠIt is hard for the journalist to report a story like this with any
      credibility. So let me put it on a personal level. I myself don't
      know how to be in this world without expecting a confident future and
      getting up every morning to do what I can to bring it about. So I
      have always been an optimist. Now, however, I think of my friend on
      Wall Street whom I once asked: "What do you think of the market?"
      "I'm optimistic," he answered. "Then why do you look so worried?" And
      he answered: "Because I am not sure my optimism is justified." I'm
      not, either. Once upon a time I agreed with Eric Chivian and the
      Center for Health and the Global Environment that people will protect
      the natural environment when they realize its importance to their
      health and to the health and lives of their children. Now I am not so
      sure. It's not that I don't want to believe that - it's just that I
      read the news and connect the dots. I read that the administrator of
      the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has declared the election a
      mandate for President Bush on the environment. This for an
      administration: That wants to rewrite the Clean Air Act, the Clean
      Water Act and the Endangered Species Act protecting rare plant and
      animal species and their habitats, as well as the National
      Environmental Policy Act, which requires the government to judge
      beforehand whether actions might damage natural resources.

      That wants to relax pollution limits for ozone; eliminate vehicle
      tailpipe inspections, and ease pollution standards for cars,
      sport-utility vehicles and diesel-powered big trucks and heavy
      equipment. That wants a new international audit law to allow
      corporations to keep certain information about environmental problems
      secret from the public. That wants to drop all its new-source review
      suits against polluting, coal-fired power plants and weaken consent
      decrees reached earlier with coal companies. That wants to open the
      Arctic [National] Wildlife Refuge to drilling and increase drilling
      in Padre Island National Seashore, the longest stretch of undeveloped
      barrier island in the world and the last great coastal wild land in
      America. I read the news just this week and learned how the
      Environmental Protection Agency had planned to spend $9 million - $2
      million of it from the administration's friends at the American
      Chemistry Council - to pay poor families to continue to use
      pesticides in their homes. These pesticides have been linked to
      neurological damage in children, but instead of ordering an end to
      their use, the government and the industry were going to offer the
      families $970 each, as well as a camcorder and children's clothing,
      to serve as guinea pigs for the study. Š And I ask myself: Why? Is it
      because we don't care? Because we are greedy? Because we have lost
      our capacity for outrage, our ability to sustain indignation at
      injustice? What has happened to our moral imagination? Š What we need
      is what the ancient Israelites called hochma - the science of the
      heart ... the capacity to see, to feel and then to act as if the
      future depended on you. Believe me, it does.

      [Bill Moyers was host until recently of the weekly public affairs
      series "NOW with Bill Moyers" on PBS. This article is adapted from
      AlterNet,
      where it first appeared. The text is taken from Moyers' remarks upon
      receiving the Global Environmental Citizen Award from the Center for
      Health and the Global Environment at Harvard Medical School.]

      oooooo

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 2000± READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK*
      o "plus another few hundred when it hits the BSI list!" Ezra
      <info@...
      o Old playlists archived at <http://www.wfmu.org/~bart/
      o Selected Playlists at http://www.romanapoli.com/black/wreckthismess.html
      o Soon, the unveiling of new juggernaut: <http://wreckthismess.com/
      courtesy of Pavement Tulip, a genius stuck in the body of a Polish
      skier in Brooklyn's inner denouement.
      o Check out excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete on
      Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/> with help from editor einar
      moos and eddie du bois