Possibly helpful, possibly way too anal

  • reddye6
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2005
      I just discovered something that some of you may find useful. Or not.

      You know how US CDs often have that annoying seal that runs the length of the top
      of the case? And sometimes when you try to take it off, it leaves a residue that seems
      nearly impossible to remove (if you try to rub it off, it just smears)?

      Anyway, an easy way to get rid of that residue is to use the sticker that you just
      peeled off. According to my wife, a bit of conventional wisdom in the world of book
      conservation is that "like removes like." If you need to remove some glue from a
      surface, a good way to do it is to use some of the same glue for your purpose. So in
      the case of CDs, I just tried pressing some of the sticky label onto the residue of a
      case, and when I lifted off the label, some of the residue came with it. A few more
      times, and it was all off.

      I know this sounds a bit anal, but I always hate having a case with sticky residue right
      next to a digipak in the CD shelves.

      Mike