Hybridity/Nuru Kane: Thur27Jan

  • djf@freeola.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2005
      .

      H Y B R I D I T Y
      with DJ Dan Frampton

      Mesmeric contemporary Middle Eastern beats,
      mixed with experimental drum+bass and broken dub.

      Featuring Senegalese singer/guitarist Nuru Kane

      Thurs 27 Jan, 6.30-11pm, Free

      The Foundry, 86 Great Eastern Street
      London EC2A 3JL
      Old Street tube (Exit 3)
      (020) 7739 6900
      info@...
      http://www.foundry.tv

      ***

      Nuru Kane

      (Nuru like "n'roo", Kane like "can")

      From Senegal via France, a captivating and impetuous singer
      songwriter whose performance was for many a highlight of the 2004
      Festival in the Desert in Mali and the BBC film of the event. Born 31
      years ago in the heart of the musical madhouse that is Dakar,
      Senegal, Nuru Kane walks, talks, sleeps and eats music. As both a
      natural band front man and utterly compelling solo performer Nuru's
      tall and commanding presence oozes charisma, quality, and honesty.

      Topping the bill is Nuru's huge and golden voice. Whether singing in
      Wolof, Peul, Soninke, French or English his tone is totally engaging,
      beyond beauty, never sickly sweet. His acoustic guitar playing is
      taut, sometimes stumbling, and hypnotic whilst his mastery of the
      guimbri (a three stringed bass like instrument primarily used by
      Moroccan Gnawa musicians) often leads the way in a frantic and
      elastic musical mystery tour. Audiences, and sometimes his band
      members, are left gasping for air before he magically pulls the
      whole sound together in sublime unison and dashingly heads towards a
      climatic ending.

      Nuru Kane will also play a one-off show with special guest musicians
      at Momo's in London on January 31st.

      ***

      For more info, or to be removed from our emailout list, contact:
      djf@...

      .