FW: No More Ohios!

  • blue tube top
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2005
      -----Original Message-----
      From: TrueMajority [mailto:alerts@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 1:12 PM
      To: Matthew St-Germaine
      Subject: No More Ohios!

      <https://www.kintera.com/AccountTempFiles/Account8866/images/_26041333395260
      gif>

      America Needs Honest Elections
      Congress This Week Can Make It Clear

      Dear Matthew,

      The whole world now knows what went on in Ohio and other states on Election
      Day, and we simply can't let it happen anymore.

      We know that many Americans in inner cities were prevented from voting by
      eight-hour lines. We know that local officials changed the rules on which
      votes they counted. We know that technicians from computerized voting
      companies were allowed to tamper with balloting machines unsupervised.

      Elections with those sorts of problems are not honest.

      The winners of these tainted elections assert that their outcomes didn't
      depend on the fraud. But in sports, referees don't wait until the outcome
      of the game is in jeopardy before calling penalties and enforcing the rules.
      Nowhere in the Constitution does it describe some acceptable level of
      denying Americans their votes. When Congress meets this Thursday, January
      6, we'll have a good opportunity to make it clear that Americans want every
      vote counted, period.

      That same Constitution also directs Congress to ratify the result of the
      presidential election in order to make it official. This Thursday,
      Representative John Conyers (D-Michigan) plans to challenge the voting tally
      from his state, and if even one senator joins him, Congress will be
      compelled to debate the widespread problems that have been exposed. This
      Congress isn't going to overturn the election, but it would be forced into a
      debate that would serve as a national teach-in on voting rights, computer
      voting that can't be audited and the continued suppression of minority
      votes. In short - Honest Elections or not?

      If you received this email as a member of TrueMajority, you can simply click
      "Reply" and "Send" in your email program to send the message below to your
      senators. If you wish to edit the message, or if this email was forwarded
      to you from someone else, click here to send a message to your senators
      <http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?ID=M66602784339727010741365&af=y> , asking
      that they join Rep. Conyers in forcing this important debate toward Honest
      Elections.

      After you've sent your message, forward this email to everyone you know who
      supports the idea of honest elections.

      Toward true democracy,

      Matt Holland
      Honest Elections Coordinator

      Here's the message we'll deliver to your senators:

      Dear [Senator's name]:

      I am disturbed by the widespread reports of irregularities in this past
      election-not enough voting machines in inner-city precincts, causing
      hours-long lines; computerized ballot machines that can't be audited;
      corporate technicians monkeying around with the public's machines; local
      officials making up rules on the fly about which votes to actually count.

      The key to elections is that all, especially the losers, agree that the
      elections were fair and honest. America doesn't have that now, and it's got
      to change.

      Rep. John Conyers will use the occasion of the ratification of the election
      results to challenge this system; I ask that you do the same. I understand
      that the results won't be overturned, but the debate resulting from this
      challenge would expose these irregularities and get America on the path to
      truly Honest Elections.

      Please tell me that you will join Mr. Conyers in sparking this important
      debate.

      Sincerely,

      [your name]

      To unsubscribe from this mailing, please click here
      <http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?ID=M66604514339727010741365>

      To modify your profile and subscription preferences, please click here
      <http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?ID=M66604524339727010741365>

      <http://omt.kintera.org/omt/206487616.gif>