Bless Mr. Stapleton

  • Oakiedog@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2004
      Perfect moments are few and far between.

      I lay here on the bed, in the historic Arcata Hotel up here in beautiful
      Humbolt County. Fritz Lang.'s M is on the television, muted, and my headphones
      are rebroadcasting SHIPWRECK RADIO vol. 1...a new release from Nurse With
      Wound.

      For those who have not heard about it, Mr. Stapleton has traveled to
      Scandinavia, to Islands north of the Arctic Circle, and broadcasted on a local radio
      station sound sculptures composed of native field recordings. Mind altering
      compositions, this stuff is as mind-blowing as the original 'Home Tickler album
      done in the early 80s.

      Sea gulls, water dripplings, askew conversations, fire, footsteps,
      callings....all woven together with repetition, reverberation and precision. Once
      again, a truly transcendental offering from the artist who never ceases to
      astonish with his brilliant versatility and imagination from release to release. A
      Sun Ra of his domain, ever reinventing and brilliantly chiseling his music.

      The German police send out beggars to patrol the streets in search of Peter
      Lorre's character in M. A man with a peg leg knocks on it and the translation
      is, "Touch wood." They are closing in.

      The rain is heard coming down the track called "June 17th." The sounds of
      movement...cars, wisps of air...revered dramatically...garnishes the downpour.

      With any luck, the rain will stop here in Humbolt tomorrow providing access
      to the ancient Redwood groves. It is crisp outside and the air is clean.

      David Katznelson